Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2023 Draft Needs (merged threads)

Didn't see it posted. Here is the official draft order for picks 1-18 Per PFT

P.S.=Tjank you Lovie.

1. Chicago Bears (3-14)

2. Houston Texans (3-13-1)

3. Arizona Cardinals (4-13)

4. Indianapolis Colts (4-12-1)

5. Seattle Seahawks, via the Denver Broncos (5-12)

6. Detroit Lions, via the Los Angeles Rams (5-12)

7. Las Vegas Raiders (6-11)

8. Atlanta Falcons (7-10)

9. Carolina Panthers (7-10)

10. Philadelphia Eagles, via the New Orleans Saints (7-10)

11. Tennessee Titans (7-10)

12. Houston Texas, via the Cleveland Browns (7-10)

13. New York Jets (7-10)

14. New England Patriots (8-9)

15. Green Bay Packers (8-9)

16. Washington Commanders (8-8-1)

17. Pittsburgh Steelers (9-8)

18. Detroit Lions (9-8)

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-08-2023, 07:09 PM)StrayaJag Wrote: We r picking 21st atm

So if there or 25th if we win Saturday and lose the following week at KC then I would project our biggest needs as:

IOL specifically LG
Edge moving Walker to DE helps if Smoot is done and RRH walks. IDL looks good with Fatukasi, Hamilton and Peters in the middle sets that But keeping Key is vital
TE or slot CB is next IMO. I like the idea of Washington from the Dawgs to complement a re-signed Ingram. Darius Williams is now our CB2, period. So slot is a need. I have no idea of who to take at the slot CB.

That is 4 picks right there. The ILB positions are set(Oluakon, Muma, Lloyd and Quarterman). We have 3 safeties (yes I include Dewey here) so not a pressing need IMO. Thus I see the latter rounds as depth for Oline, WR, DB and RB. 
As far as the kicking game, always bring in camp legs but we are pretty well set. I'll probably take flak for this but I like Patterson as the kicker.

This all hinges on FA and how well we can retain the ones we want to keep and still add value. Many don't care for Taylor at RT but remember, Little was in for him when Cam went down and he came back in and played injured and played well. He got a fair bit of respect from me for that. Having said that, if we cannot resin him, Little has proven he can play there so I would add a swing tackle to our needs list.

Unlike in years past when the Jags picked top 10, I’ll be drunk by the time they pick this year

(This post was last modified: 01-21-2023, 09:23 PM by rfc17. Edited 1 time in total.)

Probably a little too premature to say biggest needs as we don't know just yet who we plan to bring back.  But realistically I don't think the biggest needs will change no matter what we do this offseason.  It's the lines.  Both offensively and defensively.  Defensively we were able to get a little more pressure late in the year, albeit against some lines that had some injuries.  But when it mattered most against the Chiefs our pass rush was non-existent.  Allen definitely stepped up his game late, was pretty good at getting pressure on QBs throughout the year, but we still don't have a premier pass rusher.  We don't have one player along the line that an offense fears and has to gameplan around.  And then offensively we need to see what the team does with Taylor.  Do they bring him back?  Do they let him go, and start Little/Cam?  What about the interior?  Fortner seems to have the mental side of it but needs to get stronger.  Not sure how hurt Scherff has been this year but he didnt live up to the money.  And too many breakdowns throughout the year.  Was very obvious in this game against the Chiefs.  Far too many free rushers all night long.  Some were just flat out missed assignments where a dlineman was left completely unblocked.  

I said this in one of these draft threads a month or two ago.  We have five draft picks in the first 4 rounds.  I'd love to see at a minimum three of those five draft picks being used on lineman.  I see a lot of mock drafts having us take an offensive skill player in the first.  I want a lineman.  Don't care which side of the ball.

If there is any chance in hell we could get Skoronski

Snap him

Sadly it sounds like we played our way out of a guy like Skoronski. I see a lot of mock drafts have him top 10. But it's still early for the mocks. Seems like there is always a lot of movement between what national mock drafts say in January and where players actually get picked. Some of it due to players who legitimately rise in the rankings between now and then. But a lot of it is also do to people creating mocks learning more about who scouts actually really like. Possible a guy like Skoronski will slip and fall to mid 20s. A lot of mocks have the guard from Florida going late first. He would seem like an obvious candidate but who knows, maybe his stock really goes up and he is actually a player that goes in the teens.

I do wonder if the team likes the status of our interior oline even though we may want to improve. Assuming a healthy Bartch would be an upgrade. Sounds like they like Fortner. And Scherrf is coming back due ot his contract. And his play may have been impacted by injury more than we realize. It is possible if they did address the interior it wouldnt be until 3rd round at earliest.

(01-22-2023, 09:45 AM)rfc17 Wrote: Sadly it sounds like we played our way out of a guy like Skoronski.  I see a lot of mock drafts have him top 10.  But it's still early for the mocks.  Seems like there is always a lot of movement between what national mock drafts say in January and where players actually get picked.  Some of it due to players who legitimately rise in the rankings between now and then.  But a lot of it is also do to people creating mocks learning more about who scouts actually really like.  Possible a guy like Skoronski will slip and fall to mid 20s.  A lot of mocks have the guard from Florida going late first.  He would seem like an obvious candidate but who knows, maybe his stock really goes up and he is actually a player that goes in the teens. 

I do wonder if the team likes the status of our interior oline even though we may want to improve.  Assuming a healthy Bartch would be an upgrade.  Sounds like they like Fortner.  And Scherrf is coming back due ot his contract.  And his play may have been impacted by injury more than we realize.  It is possible if they did address the interior it wouldnt be until 3rd round at earliest.

Ugh, I hope not. If the value is there I say go IOL in the 1st round. I hope a good TE is available in the 2nd. After that, look at defense, especially at nickel.

The following positions have been identified by this Board, local media and national experts as top needs for 2023-24 (in no particular order):

Interior offensive line
Outside (Edge) pass rusher
Tight end (even if Engram re-signed)
Interior defensive line
Corner/nickel

There is certainly a good case that can be made for any of these positions being addressed in either rounds 1 or 2 of the upcoming draft. Prior to making decisions on the draft, I believe 3 important questions need to be answered:

1. Which free agents need to be paid? My guess is they pay Engram, re-structure Agnew and try to work out reasonable deals with Taylor, Key and Manhertz.

2. Which players under contract for 2023-24 are let go? Griffin and Chaisson are no brainers. RRH and Jenkins will be tough decisions due to money saved by releasing them. Both had great moments, but were inconsistent.
    Re-structuring their contracts is a possibility.

3. What is the defensive scheme Caldwell plans to use next season? To me, this is the most important decision our coaches have to make. Caldwell primarily went with the 3-4 defense utilizing Trevon Walker as an Edge rusher. Does he get another year to improve upon his less than stellar performance rushing the passer in this scheme? If Caldwell has faith that Walker can significantly improve upon his 3.5 sacks after an off-season of learning better pass-rushing skills, I see the Jaguars continuing to use the 3-4 as their base defense. However, Caldwell and Pederson may believe that switching to a 4-3 base would make better use of the current roster's skillset. Walker and Allen would move to DE in this scheme and Caldwell would have to determine where to position their linebacker group of Oluakon, Lloyd and Muma.

Since I am not presumptuous enough to believe I know the answer to this question, I'll leave that up to the coaching staff. My order of needs come draft time will be determined by the answers to these 3 questions. If the team stays in a 3-4 base defense with Walker at Edge, the need for another Edge goes down although I'd still draft one in the mid-rounds. If they remain in a 3-4, but move Walker to DE in this scheme then an Edge rusher becomes a top priority in the draft. Finally, if they go to a 4-3, then the need for an interior pass rusher on the defensive line must be addressed fairly early (no later than round 3) in the draft.

Regardless of which scheme they use on defense, the team needs to draft an interior offensive lineman in the first 2 rounds and a cornerback no later than rounds 3 or 4. While I wouldn't draft a tight end in round 1, I'd certainly consider taking Musgrave or Washington in the 2nd round to give the offense another weapon for Lawrence.

I realize this is a lot of information to sort out, but my intent is to summarize the options which this team has during the off-season based on the previous comments on this Board. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this, especially regarding which defensive scheme should be utilized going forward.

(01-25-2023, 03:54 PM)StrayaJag Wrote: https://jaguarswire.usatoday.com/2023/01...t-jaguars/
He a Terp!

Wouldn't mind Banks or Demus (in the later rounds) from my Terps.

I'm also curious as to which players fall in this draft. Kyle Hamilton and Lloyd both fell in last years draft.

(This post was last modified: 01-27-2023, 04:40 AM by rpr52121. Edited 1 time in total.)

So, Jags have talent deficiencies at many positions groups esp on defense where they just don't have the star level players who can contain or neutralize stars from other teams. But the cap will now be issue go forward and limit the ability to get that kind of talent in FA.

Last year it feels the Jags bet more on upside with Walker over Hutch, trading up for Lloyd, and possibly even Fortner. It may even suggest the FO didn't expect the Jags to be in playoffs and on the cusp of contender status quickly. As if they thought all those guys would so all those guys would have a year to figure things out and would be expected to make the jump they made this season. (At least that is what I'm hoping in hindsight.)

Should the Jags bet more on upside or consistency with this 2023 draft? I'm torn, because I just don't see how the Jags will get those super elite talents with out a bit of gambles. (Or I guess just superb scouting that outdoes other teams, but I have yet to see any evidence of that yet.)

(01-27-2023, 04:40 AM)rpr52121 Wrote: So, Jags have talent deficiencies at many positions groups esp on defense where they just don't have the star level players who can contain or neutralize stars from other teams. But the cap will now be issue go forward and limit the ability to get that kind of talent in FA.

Last year it feels the Jags bet more on upside with Walker over Hutch, trading up for Lloyd, and possibly even Fortner. It may even suggest the FO didn't expect the Jags to be in playoffs and on the cusp of contender status quickly. As if they thought all those guys would so all those guys would have a year to figure things out and would be expected to make the jump they made this season. (At least that is what I'm hoping in hindsight.)

Should the Jags bet more on upside or consistency with this 2023 draft? I'm torn, because I just don't see how the Jags will get those super elite talents with out a bit of gambles. (Or I guess just superb scouting that outdoes other teams, but I have yet to see any evidence of that yet.)

I think they need to hit on at least three immediate starters in this draft.  How impactful they are in year one can vary, but they need to be solid starters at minimum. 

Too many players walking in free agency not to back fill with rookies.

NB 
TE (TE2 if they get the deal done with Engram) 
Rotational DL or OLB
LG challenger to Bartch
SS if Jenkins becomes a cap casualty

These ^ are all possible spots where a rookie could start or play a meaningful number of snaps.

I want a NB with our first pick if one is available. We need to keep Williams outside.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

Am I the only one who thinks we need someone (either a SS or LB) who can handle TEs? After all, we did terrible against TEs this year. Are there any prospects likely to be available that fills that need? If so, which round are they projected to go?

I mean every team we are likely to meet in a likely play-off run has a quality TE: KC-Kelce, Bills-Knox, Ravens-Andrews, Bengals-Hurst, just to name a few. And then there is Kittle, Pitts, Schultz, Hockenson and Goddard +++ in the NFC.

(This post was last modified: 01-29-2023, 12:51 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(01-29-2023, 12:40 PM)Norseman Wrote: Am I the only one who thinks we need someone (either a SS or LB) who can handle TEs? After all, we did terrible against TEs this year. Are there any prospects likely to be available that fills that need? If so, which round are they projected to go?

I mean every team we are likely to meet in a likely play-off run has a quality TE: KC-Kelce, Bills-Knox, Ravens-Andrews, Bengals-Hurst, just to name a few. And then there is Kittle, Pitts, Schultz, Hockenson and Goddard +++ in the NFC.

Alabamas Brian Branch.  One on here said that's who he would want and i wouldnt be against it.  He played all over at Ala., In the box, single high, covering the slot etc.  Branch might be the next on my list if guys like Kancey, Torrence, Mayer, Uzomah, and Witherspoon is gone.  If we have a better pash rush though it won't give the TE so much time to get open every time

Antonio Johnson would be interesting as well if he's there interested 2nd with his size at 6'3 195

(01-29-2023, 12:40 PM)Norseman Wrote: Am I the only one who thinks we need someone (either a SS or LB) who can handle TEs? After all, we did terrible against TEs this year. Are there any prospects likely to be available that fills that need? If so, which round are they projected to go?

It is a major issue.

A proper NB and a SS that can cover would radically change this defense. 

We went this entire season without a real Nickelback and the position was picked on incessantly in many games. 

We went this entire season without a SS having average or better coverage skill.
 Jenkins 71% completion rate allowed when targeted was an issue at some key moments when we needed to make a stop. Not taking away from his many impactful plays, just pointing out the other side of the coin here. It's a problem.

You shore up those two positions with guys that are top 50% of the league at their positions and all of a sudden this defense looks completely different IMO. 

A really nice percentage of those 61 pressures our starting OLBs had would magically turn into sacks. I guarantee it. They'd have time to get home from the improved coverage. 

Not to mention the absurd reception numbers we gave up to TEs or big slot receivers all year. That would normalize.

Glad to see some people coming around on Brian Branch. I think he'd have the most immediate impact on our defense.

(This post was last modified: 01-29-2023, 02:48 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-29-2023, 02:33 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: Glad to see some people coming around on Brian Branch. I think he'd have the most immediate impact on our defense.

He would def. help but I think a dominant interior pass rusher would be the most impactful for this defense. With that said Branch would be a huge help for this D and would be a damn good pick

(01-29-2023, 10:59 PM)StrayaJag Wrote: www.youtube.com/watch?v=me2bWBCWMDk

Love these highlights. He has to be high on the Jaguars board.