Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2023 Draft Needs (merged threads)

Curious to read opinions on this - even at such an early stage. 

The Jags will need to address the following positions in some capacity - whether draft, FA, or re-signing a current player:

TE
WR
LG
OT (Keep Taylor? Keep Robinson? Add Competition for LT?) 
DT (3-4 end technically)
EDGE (need better rotational players) 
Safety (Jenkins may be gone and depth could be better at SS too)
CB (thanks for reminding me Caldrac)
Any other spots? 

Do you seek out a replacement for James Robinson or keep him?

Which positions would you target in the draft?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I think WR (Tall, physical receiver to be exact), TE, CB & G have to be on the priority list early in next year's draft.

We're going to lose Griffin (good riddance after this last game), virtually all of our TE's are free to go, Marvin Jones, Rayshawn Jenkins and Roy Robertson-Harris at DT.

I think WR can potentially be prioritized in RD2 and RD3. RD1, I know a lot of people don't like to hear it but you're probably going to see better defensive prospects than offensive prospects in RD1 next year. I think Jalen Carter at DT is worth the pick if he's there. We need more consistent depth behind Fatukasi.

I think James Robinson should be resigned. I don't know what the rest of this year is going to look like but it seems pretty apparent they're slowly beginning to lean more towards Etienne. At least it's felt like that over the last two weeks.

But, for me, it's:
CB, DT, G, WR & TE. In no particular order. Just wherever the value makes the most sense.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(10-19-2022, 02:58 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I think WR (Tall, physical receiver to be exact), TE, CB & G have to be on the priority list early in next year's draft.

We're going to lose Griffin (good riddance after this last game), virtually all of our TE's are free to go, Marvin Jones, Rayshawn Jenkins and Roy Robertson-Harris at DT.

I think WR can potentially be prioritized in RD2 and RD3. RD1, I know a lot of people don't like to hear it but you're probably going to see better defensive prospects than offensive prospects in RD1 next year. I think Jalen Carter at DT is worth the pick if he's there. We need more consistent depth behind Fatukasi.

I think James Robinson should be resigned. I don't know what the rest of this year is going to look like but it seems pretty apparent they're slowly beginning to lean more towards Etienne. At least it's felt like that over the last two weeks.

But, for me, it's:
CB, DT, G, WR & TE. In no particular order. Just wherever the value makes the most sense.

I totally left out CB and I agree it must be addressed. 
Griffin ain't it.

(10-19-2022, 02:58 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I think WR (Tall, physical receiver to be exact), TE, CB & G have to be on the priority list early in next year's draft.

But, for me, it's:

Agree with pretty much all of this.  We still need the best players we can find so you could use a great player at almost every position.  Id probably go BPA in just about every round other that RB in the first 2 rounds and QB in the first 2 or 3 rounds, along with ILB. Id trade back if that was the case.  We need to see what we have in Tim Jones, he might cold fill right in for Marvin Jones.   Def Jalen Carter if we are picking early and I do like what I have seen out of Johnston these last few weeks if we are picking in the teens.

(This post was last modified: 10-20-2022, 09:02 AM by wg171. Edited 2 times in total.)

Completely agree with the positional needs in the above posts.

The team needs a real TE, not just a big receiver imo. Especially in a Pederson offense.
Stop ignoring the O-Line, it simply isn’t talented enough. Taylor is obviously having a much better season than years past but I wouldn’t fork over a large amount of $$$ to keep him. Little just hasn’t shown enough to make me think he’s a starter.

I would like to hang onto Robinson but I wouldn’t overpay.

If the team is drafting top 5-6 I would very seriously consider trading down.

But, for me, it's:

can't argue this.

I'm figuring a pick in the teens, which is usually a sweet spot for a G, DT, TE. If a dominant corner fell to us, that might be a challenging decision to make.

Cripes, how many years have we gone into the darft knowing we need position A, B, C, but also realize that where we pick is just awful for those positions? That can't change, can it?

As to JRob, I tend to agree, I think Etienne alone isn't enough (yet) to be a every down guy. Keep JRob for a few years to batter a defense and grind out the tough yards. I still look to add depth, Hasty looks ok in the limited plays he's gotten, but Connor is a non-factor for me, even considering Special Teams contributions. Replace him with a more well-rounded back.

I'll agree with NYC that Safety should be on the radar, too, Jenkins is ok, but we can probably get similar production for less.

(This post was last modified: 10-20-2022, 10:23 AM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

(10-20-2022, 09:27 AM)Mikey Wrote:

But, for me, it's:

can't argue this.

I'm figuring a pick in the teens, which is usually a sweet spot for a G, DT, TE. If a dominant corner fell to us, that might be a challenging decision to make.

Cripes, how many years have we gone into the darft knowing we need position A, B, C, but also realize that where we pick is just awful for those positions? That can't change, can it?

As to JRob, I tend to agree, I think Etienne alone isn't enough (yet) to be a every down guy. Keep JRob for a few years to batter a defense and grind out the tough yards. I still look to add depth, Hasty looks ok in the limited plays he's gotten, but Connor is a non-factor for me, even considering Special Teams contributions. Replace him with a more well-rounded back.

I'll agree with NYC that Safety should be on the radar, too, Jenkins is ok, but we can probably get similar production for less.

I like JL Skinner and Demani Richardson as late round options at Safety.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Add Garrett Williams and Isiah Johnson at CB as well from Syracuse. Tough game against Clemson today. Want to see if they hold up well in coverage.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Badly need a WR who can stretch the field and win outside.

(10-23-2022, 09:01 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Badly need a WR who can stretch the field and win outside.
https://twitter.com/thevolumesports/stat...fYrqc_htFw

Weird. There was one….

(10-23-2022, 09:40 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(10-23-2022, 09:01 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Badly need a WR who can stretch the field and win outside.
https://twitter.com/thevolumesports/stat...fYrqc_htFw

Weird. There was one….

Yup, I thought of that as soon as he made the play.

Currently have 7 picks in rounds 4-7 (10 total). No way they draft somebody with all of them. Gotta be active on the first two days and make a few trades using them.
https://twitter.com/_John_Shipley/status...3319200768

(10-25-2022, 12:12 AM)Eric1 Wrote: Currently have 7 picks in rounds 4-7 (10 total). No way they draft somebody with all of them. Gotta be active on the first two days and make a few trades using them.
https://twitter.com/_John_Shipley/status...3319200768

Agreed. Need to find good quality starters and depth. They should be able to package a number of those up to sneak into RD4 early or even RD3 late.

(This post was last modified: 10-27-2022, 04:15 PM by wg171. Edited 1 time in total.)

Dang I’d love to have another 1st or high 2nd.

Looking hard at Johnston, Ringo and Cam Smith

As things stand now, the greatest needs, in order of importance, for 2023 are:

1. Cornerback: Griffin will be gone and Herndon is just o.k. One of Ringo, Porter or Cam Smith would be great addition to secondary. Unless Jalen Carter falls to the Jags, I expect this to be the position selected in Rd. 1.

2. Offensive tackle: Taylor has done well enough that he will get paid more than the Jaguars can afford. Even if Little steps up, another tackle is needed.

3. Wide receiver: Marvin Jones will not be back despite having a solid couple of seasons here. Hopefully Tim Jones or Kendrick Pryor can become the number 3 receiver next season. I'd still expect the team to take a
receiver in the mid-rounds (3-7). There are no Jamar Chase's or Justin Jefferson's in the 2023 draft and even if there was I doubt the Jags would pick them in round 1.

4. Tight end: My hope is that the team can re-sign Evan Engram. He has become a reliable outlet for Lawrence and it's difficult for a rookie to step in immediately. Arnold, Manhertz and Farrell are mediocre.

5. Defensive tackle: This could easily be rated as high as number 3, although Fatukasi and Hamilton have had solid seasons. Finding a huge run-stuffer should be possible in the middle rounds.

Safety is not listed since Jenkins has played very well this season. Running backs are easy to find late in the draft and they are likely to add one there.

(This post was last modified: 10-28-2022, 09:28 AM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

(10-27-2022, 04:01 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: As things stand now, the greatest needs, in order of importance, for 2023 are:

1. Cornerback: Griffin will be gone and Herndon is just o.k. One of Ringo, Porter or Cam Smith would be great addition to secondary. Unless Jalen Carter falls to the Jags, I expect this to be the position selected in Rd. 1.

2. Offensive tackle: Taylor has done well enough that he will get paid more than the Jaguars can afford. Even if Little steps up, another tackle is needed.

3. Wide receiver: Marvin Jones will not be back despite having a solid couple of seasons here. Hopefully Tim Jones or Kendrick Pryor can become the number 3 receiver next season. I'd still expect the team to take a
                              receiver in the mid-rounds (3-7).  There are no Jamar Chase's or Justin Jefferson's in the 2023 draft and even if there was I doubt the Jags would pick them in round 1.

4. Tight end:  My hope is that the team can re-sign Evan Engram. He has become a reliable outlet for Lawrence and it's difficult for a rookie to step in immediately. Arnold, Manhertz and Farrell are mediocre.

5. Defensive tackle: This could easily be rated as high as number 3, although Fatukasi and Hamilton have had solid seasons. Finding a huge run-stuffer should be possible in the middle rounds.

Safety is not listed since Jenkins has played very well this season. Running backs are easy to find late in the draft and they are likely to add one there.

Solid priority list. Mine is slightly different. 

1. Wide Receiver - I think with Marvin Jones leaving more than likely in the off season and with Christian Kirk and Zay Jones entering year two with Lawrence and Pederson. We're still missing a glaring outside receiver that can stretch the field and win those 50/50 contested passes for Lawrence. I think this has to be the top priority in the off season. They're beginning to stockpile draft picks again but they need to be looking at prospects like Johnston (TCU), Demus Jr. (Maryland), Perry (Wake Forest), Bobo (UCLA), Higgins (Stanford) & Wilson (FSU).

2. Tight End - We're fixing to have all three of our main players hit the market. Engram, Arnold and Manhertz are all free to walk next year. I would hope at least one or two of those guys are brought back. In particular, Engram and Arnold. I think they still need to identify a solid target and make the effort to draft them. I like Mayer, Musgrave, Latu, Whyle & Washington from this class so far. 

3. Cornerback - I think Griffin is pretty much gone with him landing on IR this year. I like Campbell and Williams though on the outside. Williams can probably flex between outside/slot and then we might have Herndon come back, but, again. I think he's also a free agent. I would say this is a position of need but I would value offense over defense in the earlier rounds if you have both players graded out the same. I really like Joey Porter Jr. & Garrett Williams more than anybody in this class. Keelee Ringo would have to be in consideration as well on the opening night of the draft. 

4. Guard - Haven't really had a chance to review this class yet but with Bartch on IR this year, Shatley having to help out when we have him in a back-up Center position to step in for Fortner and Scherff only on for maybe one more year. This position is a need and it needs to be filled by a player in this draft class to begin the grooming process.

5. Defensive Tackle - Outside of Jalen Carter I think we need to be looking at Nose Tackles to primarily back up Fatukasi. Mustipher out of Penn State and Ika out of Baylor would be ideal for me personally from this draft class to fill that void and help rotate in and out.

(10-28-2022, 08:50 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(10-27-2022, 04:01 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: As things stand now, the greatest needs, in order of importance, for 2023 are:

receiver in the mid-rounds (3-7).  There are no Jamar Chase's or Justin Jefferson's in the 2023 draft and even if there was I doubt the Jags would pick them in round 1.

4. Tight end:  My hope is that the team can re-sign Evan Engram. He has become a reliable outlet for Lawrence and it's difficult for a rookie to step in immediately. Arnold, Manhertz and Farrell are mediocre.

Solid priority list. Mine is slightly different. 

1. Wide Receiver - I think with Marvin Jones leaving more than likely in the off season and with Christian Kirk and Zay Jones entering year two with Lawrence and Pederson. We're still missing a glaring outside receiver that can stretch the field and win those 50/50 contested passes for Lawrence. I think this has to be the top priority in the off season. They're beginning to stockpile draft picks again but they need to be looking at prospects like Johnston (TCU), Demus Jr. (Maryland), Perry (Wake Forest), Bobo (UCLA), Higgins (Stanford) & Wilson (FSU).

2. Tight End - We're fixing to have all three of our main players hit the market. Engram, Arnold and Manhertz are all free to walk next year. I would hope at least one or two of those guys are brought back. In particular, Engram and Arnold. I think they still need to identify a solid target and make the effort to draft them. I like Mayer, Musgrave, Latu, Whyle & Washington from this class so far. 

3. Cornerback - I think Griffin is pretty much gone with him landing on IR this year. I like Campbell and Williams though on the outside. Williams can probably flex between outside/slot and then we might have Herndon come back, but, again. I think he's also a free agent. I would say this is a position of need but I would value offense over defense in the earlier rounds if you have both players graded out the same. I really like Joey Porter Jr. & Garrett Williams more than anybody in this class. Keelee Ringo would have to be in consideration as well on the opening night of the draft. 

4. Guard - Haven't really had a chance to review this class yet but with Bartch on IR this year, Shatley having to help out when we have him in a back-up Center position to step in for Fortner and Scherff only on for maybe one more year. This position is a need and it needs to be filled by a player in this draft class to begin the grooming process.

5. Defensive Tackle - Outside of Jalen Carter I think we need to be looking at Nose Tackles to primarily back up Fatukasi. Mustipher out of Penn State and Ika out of Baylor would be ideal for me personally from this draft class to fill that void and help rotate in and out.

Can't argue with any of these, either. You must feel like Taylor will be re-signed to not include an offensive tackle.

(10-28-2022, 10:17 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(10-28-2022, 08:50 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Solid priority list. Mine is slightly different. 

Can't argue with any of these, either. You must feel like Taylor will be re-signed to not include an offensive tackle.

Yes. I think they'll get some kind of deal done sooner rather than later. In the event they don't, I think you have to give Walker Little the nod there with the money tied up in Robinson over at left tackle. At some point that 2nd RD pick has to be put to use with Walker Little. Going into year three without really having any role is kind of concerning but he's inexpensive.

If the team could extend Taylor for a fair price that would be the ideal scenario imo. They simply aren’t talented enough to let him walk in FA without compensation. So sign him to a fair deal or trade him.

Little hasn’t shown much. At least not yet. He would probably be starting at LG right now if he could play the position. Looking more and more like he’ll be a backup swing tackle.

(10-29-2022, 09:58 AM)wg171 Wrote: If the team could extend Taylor for a fair price that would be the ideal scenario imo. They simply aren’t talented enough to let him walk in FA without compensation. So sign him to a fair deal or trade him.

Little hasn’t shown much. At least not yet. He would probably be starting at LG right now if he could play the position. Looking more and more like he’ll be a backup swing tackle.

Agreed. I think a fair offer to Taylor would be a four year deal valued between $28M - $30M. This would put him right on the cusp of 9th or 10th highest paid at his position. He's already right in the middle of the pack of his position just from his 2nd RD contract he signed as a rookie. I think that's fair to him, fair to us and it's within reason. 

Best case? He accepts it. 

Worst case? He walks and we give Walker Little an opportunity going into 2023 as a starter and only have to invest a late round pick for a potential swing tackle or through free agency.