Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2023 Offseason Roster Moves

(03-11-2023, 07:16 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-10-2023, 08:11 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: I was on the old board too. Gotta say, visually,  it was not easy on the eyes.

You young whippersnappers.  Way back in 1995, the only Jaguars message board was on AOL, and AOL cost $1 a minute.  Yes, AOL cost $1 a minute.  I was one of the first regulars on that message board.  I think Bullseye might have been there, too.

I can still hear the dial up sounds to connect to the internet to this day

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-11-2023, 07:16 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-10-2023, 08:11 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: I was on the old board too. Gotta say, visually,  it was not easy on the eyes.

You young whippersnappers.  Way back in 1995, the only Jaguars message board was on AOL, and AOL cost $1 a minute.  Yes, AOL cost $1 a minute.  I was one of the first regulars on that message board.  I think Bullseye might have been there, too.

Yep, $1 a minute. I can still remember that first bill from them. I was on that board....screen name BigAU. I did spend more time back then on the college boards debating RTR (Finebaum)  which was like urinating up a rope.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(03-11-2023, 07:16 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

$1 a minute? Jeeez. That's a lot of primo for back in the day. Even today that's pretty insane.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Crazy. I remember hourly rates, not crazy minute rates. You really must been the first.

I was a regular on the AOL board, but not sure if I was there in 1995.  I'm pretty sure I never paid $1 a minute.  IIRC, you got so many hours per month with your subscription and then got charged if you went over it.  They later changed it to unlimited minutes.

I was on the old Jaguars board too but wasn't too active.  I always preferred the AOL board until it closed down.

(03-10-2023, 05:41 PM)Mikey Wrote: [disregard, anon answered]

(03-10-2023, 10:47 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Yeah, Dakota is who I was think of.  HIGH SCORE was good as well.  I wonder if he is around

Y'all should be ashamed for not mentioning scarecrow or Señor Fantástico.

IIRC scarecrow is the reason why CORN must be in every poll.

Can someone explain the CORN thing to me?  I know it's a long-time joke on here but never knew the background on it.

Well this has been a trip down memory lane.

(03-11-2023, 04:50 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:
(03-11-2023, 07:16 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: You young whippersnappers.  Way back in 1995, the only Jaguars message board was on AOL, and AOL cost $1 a minute.  Yes, AOL cost $1 a minute.  I was one of the first regulars on that message board.  I think Bullseye might have been there, too.

I was a regular on the AOL board, but not sure if I was there in 1995.  I'm pretty sure I never paid $1 a minute.  IIRC, you got so many hours per month with your subscription and then got charged if you went over it.  They later changed it to unlimited minutes.

I was on the old Jaguars board too but wasn't too active.  I always preferred the AOL board until it closed down.

I may not be remembering correctly how AOL charged back then.  I do remember racking up some $200 a month AOL bills.  A little Internet research tells me that in 1995 AOL charged a monthly flat rate for the first five hours and then three dollars an hour above that.

Anyone remember Netzero?

Also, if you were an FCCJ student, they had a dial-up number that you can use to get to the www. This was around late 90s, early 00s.

(03-11-2023, 05:28 PM)jaglyn Wrote: Anyone remember Netzero?

Also, if you were an FCCJ student, they had a dial-up number that you can use to get to the www. This was around late 90s, early 00s.

Yes, our family switched to net zero in 1996.  God my dad was such a cheapskate.  Had it for a few months before my dad gave up and paid for dial up again. The speed was not bad but it would randomly take over your screen with an ad.  I know it was 1996 because I remember I told it I was interested in ads for rock music and it was promoting Pinkerton by Weezer.  I was too young to realize what a great album that was, and my dad was too old.
We did free trials of AOL and the other gated community internet services but nothing worth paying for.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(03-11-2023, 04:59 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:
(03-10-2023, 05:41 PM)Mikey Wrote: [disregard, anon answered]

Y'all should be ashamed for not mentioning scarecrow or Señor Fantástico.

IIRC scarecrow is the reason why CORN must be in every poll.

Can someone explain the CORN thing to me?  I know it's a long-time joke on here but never knew the background on it.

Corn = who cares

(03-11-2023, 05:08 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-11-2023, 04:50 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: I was a regular on the AOL board, but not sure if I was there in 1995.  I'm pretty sure I never paid $1 a minute.  IIRC, you got so many hours per month with your subscription and then got charged if you went over it.  They later changed it to unlimited minutes.

I may not be remembering correctly how AOL charged back then.  I do remember racking up some $200 a month AOL bills.  A little Internet research tells me that in 1995 AOL charged a monthly flat rate for the first five hours and then three dollars an hour above that.

I dunno, I was a Compuserve at the time where they changed by the minute and max speed was 2400 bps.

Later got my Jags news on Usenet at alt.sports.football.nfl.jaguars if I recall the naming correctly.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(03-12-2023, 08:29 AM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(03-11-2023, 05:08 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: I may not be remembering correctly how AOL charged back then.  I do remember racking up some $200 a month AOL bills.  A little Internet research tells me that in 1995 AOL charged a monthly flat rate for the first five hours and then three dollars an hour above that.

I dunno, I was a Compuserve at the time where they changed by the minute and max speed was 2400 bps.

Later got my Jags news on Usenet at alt.sports.football.nfl.jaguars if I recall the naming correctly.

"Hey, look at this!  I can get pictures of naked women on this thing!!!"  Then every guy I knew rushed out to buy a computer.

Nuggets on Key and Taylor from an ESPN+ article on free agency rumors:

Quote:Defensive tackles getting paid

This isn't perceived as a great free agent class, but the top of the defensive tackle market could get pricey. Philadelphia's Javon Hargrave is expected to get a big-money deal from some team (probably not Philadelphia), but watch out for guys such as Denver's Dre'Mont Jones, Jacksonville's Arden Key and Arizona's Zach Allen, who have been mentioned several times to me as players expected to draw strong interest on the open market. Non-free agents such as the Jets' Quinnen Williams, the Titans' Jeffery Simmons and the Commanders' franchise player, Daron Payne, are watching this market closely as they think about their own potential long-term extensions. -- Graziano

Strongest retention efforts

The opening of the legal tampering window can spark urgency for teams that want to re-sign their priority free agents. That's the case with a couple of right tackles, Atlanta's Kaleb McGary and Jacksonville's Jawaan Taylor. Their teams would like to keep them and are making good-faith efforts. Jacksonville is also pushing to keep pass-rusher Arden Key with a clear goal of maintaining its promising core.

The legal free agency tampering period is about to begin.  Any predictions on what the Jaguars do?  Do we reach agreement with any of our existing players not already under contract?  Do they go after someone on another team?

(03-12-2023, 01:12 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: The legal free agency tampering period is about to begin.  Any predictions on what the Jaguars do?  Do we reach agreement with any of our existing players not already under contract?  Do they go after someone on another team?

I figure they work hard to keep Key and Taylor and we'll see 2 mid tier signings if they can't retain them. 

If they do retain both I suspect only one mid tier signing at best.

Probably a couple lower tier signings either way. 

Not very specific, I know, but that's what I predict.

(03-12-2023, 01:12 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: The legal free agency tampering period is about to begin.  Any predictions on what the Jaguars do?  Do we reach agreement with any of our existing players not already under contract?  Do they go after someone on another team?
I think Taylor is gone.

They resign Key.

Dilla seems to think Baalke goes after Poona Ford from Seattle.

I think they sign 1 person none of us were expecting and then some mid level dudes.

(03-12-2023, 02:19 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
I think Taylor is gone.

They resign Key.

Dilla seems to think Baalke goes after Poona Ford from Seattle.

I think they sign 1 person none of us were expecting and then some mid level dudes.

I agree, if Taylor chases the money he is gone. We will not be the highest bidder despite his pass blocking ability the deficit in run blocking can't be overlooked. Chances are some other pass happy team will pay up big time.

I don't see Key as a full time starter, more of a very valuable role player. Until last year the most he ever made was 1 million. We paid 4 last year and he delivered when he was on the field. This one depends on Taylor. Taylor signs Key (maybe even Agnew) is gone, is a $ thing.

These guys are very opportunistic and while we have pushed some money into the future I believe they really would rather not push any more than they really need to. This is the reason I am not expecting any big splashes in the coming weeks. We are in the draft and develop mode. 

We have the skill players and now need more beef for the O and D lines.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(03-12-2023, 12:33 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Nuggets on Key and Taylor from an ESPN+ article on free agency rumors:

Quote:Defensive tackles getting paid

This isn't perceived as a great free agent class, but the top of the defensive tackle market could get pricey. Philadelphia's Javon Hargrave is expected to get a big-money deal from some team (probably not Philadelphia), but watch out for guys such as Denver's Dre'Mont Jones, Jacksonville's Arden Key and Arizona's Zach Allen, who have been mentioned several times to me as players expected to draw strong interest on the open market. Non-free agents such as the Jets' Quinnen Williams, the Titans' Jeffery Simmons and the Commanders' franchise player, Daron Payne, are watching this market closely as they think about their own potential long-term extensions. -- Graziano

Strongest retention efforts

The opening of the legal tampering window can spark urgency for teams that want to re-sign their priority free agents. That's the case with a couple of right tackles, Atlanta's Kaleb McGary and Jacksonville's Jawaan Taylor. Their teams would like to keep them and are making good-faith efforts. Jacksonville is also pushing to keep pass-rusher Arden Key with a clear goal of maintaining its promising core.

Yeah I've seen several articles from the mainstream nfl sites predicting Key will be one of those slightly under the radar guys who's market runs away ... Which while I certainly wouldn't begrudge the kid his payday ... Obviously wouldn't be a great situation for us!! All seems to have gone quiet on Smoot, I wonder which they'd prioritise if push came to shove!

Only minor consolation at losing Taylor is he's only had one really strong year and there has to be a steady chance of possibly recouping at least a 4th round compensatory pick next year. But It's another on which isn't ideal to lose.

It's out of our hands to a degree ... To be fair to Baalke and the front office they got a lot of their work done early with their restructures/cuts so they obviously had their ducks in a row and were working with a certain clarity of vision ... That's all you can really ask of them, even the best FO's can't keep them all, let's hope they can restock the losses and improve where they can.

Read something about Chaisson resigned for 4 years / $70M.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."