Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2023 Offseason Roster Moves

It makes to much sense

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-23-2023, 07:32 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(03-23-2023, 05:37 PM)p_rushing Wrote: I think you are over hyped on this one. He spent a lot of time on the bench last year and rotating a ton. He may get a "start" because of his history but he is showing his age a lot. It's still a good signing for a rotational player but he needs to give a large discount for the stats he will be producing.

It would be great for him to get his 100th sack on the Jags.
I think you're not seeing the big picture. Nobody is expecting 2017 Campbell. I am seeing a guy that can come in specifically to make Walker better just by physically being in the way next to him for opponents to account for.

I would keep him rested early but if our offense jumps out to big, fast leads? He's a guy you throw out there in obvious passing situations to let everybody else thrive off of.

I would use him extensively down the stretch though. Especially during divisional games if for whatever reason the tacks, clots or tinhorns are actually pushing for a divisional lead or 5th/6th/7th seed.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Exactly.  Think about how the Falcons almost won a Super Bowl with Dwight Freeney coming in as a rotation guy.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(03-23-2023, 02:07 PM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(03-23-2023, 01:31 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: I know.  It's just funny how exercised people get about this stuff.

Discussion, debate, arguments are good but I do laugh sometimes at the guys who spend 30 minutes reading articles on ESPN and then seriously think they're more informed than the people who make a living doing this stuff.

+1

(03-23-2023, 07:31 PM)p_rushing Wrote:
(03-23-2023, 06:31 PM)Eric1 Wrote: He played 62% of the Defensive snaps last year and 35% of Special Team snaps.
Thanks for the %, couldn't find it with a quick search. He missed 3 games and his % will continue to go down. It is a good signing as long as they aren't over paying for him. I don't see him playing more than 50s% and not sure if a 16 year vet can play in the heat a ton during Sept and Oct.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

He played 64% Def snaps and 29% ST in 2021 (15 games). 51% Def and 33% ST in 2020 (12 games).

I think we could still get 50-60% of the Def snaps out of him, but him teaching Walker a few tricks would be the biggest upside. Him being in the building would be great for Walker's development, even if it's only for 1 season.

Calias is one of the players who changed the culture and helped change the city. He is the KEY to success.

(03-23-2023, 10:31 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-23-2023, 09:15 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Fortner was fine this year and he'll be fine next year unless he regresses, which is unlikely. It's weird that a guy starts every game as a rookie, the team wins, but people are knotted up that he isn't good enough and the proposal is to bring in another guy who will be farther behind him as the solution. If we need a player who could take his place we should go sign Connor McGovern or Ben Jones, not spend a draft pick on another rookie. And I'm a Planet Theory guy, so it's not about a CB or WR, it's that we need to spend those premium picks on the positions we really need to improve like TE, OT, and DT. A G/C pick is fine if we do it 3rd day, but you aren't displacing Fortner with a guy like that, not that you need to anyway. I'm more concerned about LG than C and still wouldn't use a premium pick to take a guy when you could just sign one off the street.

LOL

Fortner gave up pressures that made the QB take hits or have to roll out quickly because there was no pocket to step into. 
Ignore that all you wish, I'm not going to pretend I didn't see it too often. 

Adding a LG prior to the 4th round that can potentially beat out Bartch - but also has some Center ability isn't going to cripple any offseason personnel strategy.

Wait a minute, are you saying that a rookie day 1 starter played like...a rookie?

[Image: nw.gif]
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Playing a 4-3 and having Campbell/Walker DTs and Josh Allen at end..... Mmmmmmm

Jags aren’t going to up and switch to a 43.

(03-23-2023, 09:50 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(03-23-2023, 10:31 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: LOL

Fortner gave up pressures that made the QB take hits or have to roll out quickly because there was no pocket to step into. 
Ignore that all you wish, I'm not going to pretend I didn't see it too often. 

Adding a LG prior to the 4th round that can potentially beat out Bartch - but also has some Center ability isn't going to cripple any offseason personnel strategy.

Wait a minute, are you saying that a rookie day 1 starter played like...a rookie?

[Image: nw.gif]

Not what I said

That's just what you keep hoping is the extent of the problem. 

Might be - might not be.

What percentage off struggling rookies grow out of their struggles?
What percentage do not? 

It's a big fat maybe with Luke Fortner - his rookie gaffs were more alarming than I've observed from many rookies

Pretty basic [BLEEP] here

Bring the Mayor back.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

Learn from the great collapse of 2023.  

Calais is expected to visit the Bills and Jets next week. Doesn't worry me.

Sure, they might be able to offer more in salary...and living in NY might be an incentive... but really, even if I wasn't a new Jags fan I don't see either Buffalo or NY (even with Aaron Rodgers) as more attractive landing spots than Jacksonville.

Ending my career in Florida, on a team I'm familiar with...which has a legit shot at running away with the AFC South...

Pay the man for two years...
Black Jaguar: Yeah, it's a thing.

It was always the Jags!!!!

(This post was last modified: 03-25-2023, 11:32 AM by Jag149.)

(03-25-2023, 11:01 AM)AnOldBrownie Wrote: Calais is expected to visit the Bills and Jets next week.  Doesn't worry me.

Sure, they might be able to offer more in salary...and living in NY might be an incentive...  but really, even if I wasn't a new Jags fan I don't see either Buffalo or NY (even with Aaron Rodgers) as more attractive landing spots than Jacksonville.

Ending my career in Florida, on a team I'm familiar with...which has a legit shot at running away with the AFC South...

Well with both teams depending on the contract amount would need to pay him 1 to 2 mill more to be even. That is cash in pocket after taxes. This does not account for any city tax.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(03-25-2023, 11:32 AM)Jag149 Wrote:
(03-25-2023, 11:01 AM)AnOldBrownie Wrote: Calais is expected to visit the Bills and Jets next week.  Doesn't worry me.

Sure, they might be able to offer more in salary...and living in NY might be an incentive...  but really, even if I wasn't a new Jags fan I don't see either Buffalo or NY (even with Aaron Rodgers) as more attractive landing spots than Jacksonville.

Well with both teams depending on the contract amount would need to pay him 1 to 2 mill more to be even. That is cash in pocket after taxes. This does not account for any city tax.

Plus, Calais is from Florida originally, so living in New York is probably a real bummer for him compared to Florida. I'm from Florida and am stuck in Michigan due to life circumstances. There is a huge quality of life factor here. Up north, you experience half the clear sky days as Florida, don't get enough vitamin D, and are generally miserable during the winter months. The taxes and cost of living are also higher. Don't ever move up north, especially under the current management Wink
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

We should know something in the next few days hopefully.

(03-25-2023, 04:09 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:
(03-25-2023, 11:32 AM)Jag149 Wrote: Well with both teams depending on the contract amount would need to pay him 1 to 2 mill more to be even. That is cash in pocket after taxes. This does not account for any city tax.

Plus, Calais is from Florida originally, so living in New York is probably a real bummer for him compared to Florida. I'm from Florida and am stuck in Michigan due to life circumstances. There is a huge quality of life factor here. Up north, you experience half the clear sky days as Florida, don't get enough vitamin D, and are generally miserable during the winter months. The taxes and cost of living are also higher. Don't ever move up north, especially under the current management Wink

Your points are valid 

The problem is that he's not signing anywhere long term and he has enough money to have homes in 6 different states and 3 different countries. 

He's stated he wants to sign where he thinks he might make it to the big dance. 
If another team convinces him they are the ones to take him there - he isn't going to care about geography, climate or state income tax.

Another thing I hope can give us the upper hand is there is still a few guys on the team that were here when CC was. Hopefully Herndon, Allen, Cam, and Shatley all give CC a call

I don't see that the Jets or Bills have a better shot at getting to the dance than the Jags.

Sure...they will sell that they do, but I don't see either of them having a better offensive attack this season.

Sent from my KFTRWI using Tapatalk
Black Jaguar: Yeah, it's a thing.

It was always the Jags!!!!

(03-26-2023, 10:29 AM)AnOldBrownie Wrote: I don't see that the Jets or Bills have a better shot at getting to the dance than the Jags.

Sure...they will sell that they do, but I don't see either of them having a better offensive attack this season.

Sent from my KFTRWI using Tapatalk

I agree. 
Not sure which sales pitch Campbell will choose, but I feel like Pederson likely gave him a good one. 
Buffalo is going to be a tough one to walk away from though. 
I imagine he'll think on that one carefully. 

Fingers crossed that it was always the Jags for CC.

(This post was last modified: 03-26-2023, 01:53 PM by Mowerguy. Edited 1 time in total.)

when Calais was here I think he felt the love here.....watched his old team when the urban time was endured....and rooted for us this past amazing season.
I think he will want to be a part of the Jaguars as he gets this time of his career.
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

(This post was last modified: 03-26-2023, 03:45 PM by cat bells. Edited 1 time in total.)

NBC seem to think his visits have been Falcons, Jaguars, Bills and Jets ... Out of that lot id be really surprised if it didn't boil down to the Jaguars and the Bills ...

I agree with the posters above - short of a multi, multi million dollar discrepancy in what teams are offering its one of those rare occasions when I'm not sure the money is an important deciding factor if those franchises are within a million or two of each other and at 36/37 it's hard to see that not being the case. I think it'll be close between us and them. We have huge potential, familiarity, on the up... The bills have been established as a top side for longer but the whispers will start about whether they can get over the top, and it's a new city, culture for a one/two year deal max! I'd not like to call it!!

I'm not sure I buy the jets even with Rodgers ... I think he might be slightly underestimating the difference between the AFC and NFC at the minute ... Yes the schedule throws up cross conference games and Rodgers is good enough to win against good qb's and good teams ... But can he do that and importantly will be want to do that with the consistency he's going to require to be successful in the AFC. It's going to be top of your game every week in the AFC against young a stacked deck of talented, focused, desperate, young, guys just to get to the playoffs ... the NFC simply hasnt that same level of pressure on each game at the minute. Two against the Bills, Two against the dolphins and even two against Belichick looks a whole lot harder than the last few years against the NFC North and a division dogfight against Kirk Cousins... I think he's seriously underestimating what he's stepping into if he thinks he's heading into a Manning/Brady swan song