Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2023 Offseason Roster Moves

(04-14-2023, 10:08 PM)JaguarJosh2 Wrote: Budda Baker and Devin White want out of their current situation.  I don't think we have a need for White,  but we do need secondary help.  Would love a Baker/Cisco safety tandem.

Both nice players. You make room for either.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Baker would help this defense instantly. I’d give up a 3rd for him because I know what I’ll get. If you need to get back into the 3rd round then use your 4th and whatever other picks to get there.

We still need a veteran DE that can give us 6-8 sacks this season.

(04-15-2023, 03:20 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Baker would help this defense instantly. I’d give up a 3rd for him because I know what I’ll get. If you need to get back into the 3rd round then use your 4th and whatever other picks to get there.

Ngakoue still available.. lol

(04-15-2023, 04:11 AM)JaguarJosh2 Wrote:
(04-15-2023, 03:20 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Baker would help this defense instantly. I’d give up a 3rd for him because I know what I’ll get. If you need to get back into the 3rd round then use your 4th and whatever other picks to get there.

He gets more sacks than 6-8. He doesn’t qualify.

(04-15-2023, 04:11 AM)JaguarJosh2 Wrote:

If neither side is holding a grudge, I would like to see Ngakoue back.  He has been in the league for 7 years and he has had 8 or more sacks in every single season.  He's coming off a 9.5 sack season and had 10 sacks the season prior.  He's only 28, so he's not over the hill.  The knock on him is that he isn't good against the run, but I think we have some good personnel for obvious running situations.  We can use Ngakoue in obvious passing situations.  The Jaguars were ranked in the bottom 5 in pass defense last year and lost five games simply because they couldn't hold a lead in the 4th quarter.  Ngakoue would be a huge help to this team.

Agreed, Budda Baker would help us some on the field. At what cost? ... He has decided he wanted a new deal 2 years into a 4 year contract or trade me to someone who will pay me.  Someone like that is just what we need in the locker room?  While I do not know his particular circumstances my first impression is not good.  A bad look for any team having this happen although it is standard practice for some athletes. This devalues any picks I would give up in exchange, maybe a 6th to take Arizona's issue off their hands. (no more than that) The next question is do we really want that here. There is no guarantee after we sign him to a new deal and pay him, 2 years in he demands the same of us and we have to eat 7+ million in dead cap etc. Big Pass.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(04-15-2023, 02:16 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:
(04-15-2023, 04:11 AM)JaguarJosh2 Wrote: Ngakoue still available.. lol

If neither side is holding a grudge, I would like to see Ngakoue back.  He has been in the league for 7 years and he has had 8 or more sacks in every single season.  He's coming off a 9.5 sack season and had 10 sacks the season prior.  He's only 28, so he's not over the hill.  The knock on him is that he isn't good against the run, but I think we have some good personnel for obvious running situations.  We can use Ngakoue in obvious passing situations.  The Jaguars were ranked in the bottom 5 in pass defense last year and lost five games simply because they couldn't hold a lead in the 4th quarter.  Ngakoue would be a huge help to this team.

Ngakoue has worn his welcome out with 5 of the 32 teams which limits his options. He has not played a full season 3 of the last 4 years. I could see him being a role player for us but he would need to really humble himself and play at a pretty large discount.  The key phrase is "does he fit our vision and culture of the team going forward" Also, I have tough time thinking our ownership really wants to have round two of the ugliness the last time he was here.

(This post was last modified: 04-16-2023, 12:48 AM by JaguarJosh2.)

(04-15-2023, 05:04 PM)Jag149 Wrote:
(04-15-2023, 02:16 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: If neither side is holding a grudge, I would like to see Ngakoue back.  He has been in the league for 7 years and he has had 8 or more sacks in every single season.  He's coming off a 9.5 sack season and had 10 sacks the season prior.  He's only 28, so he's not over the hill.  The knock on him is that he isn't good against the run, but I think we have some good personnel for obvious running situations.  We can use Ngakoue in obvious passing situations.  The Jaguars were ranked in the bottom 5 in pass defense last year and lost five games simply because they couldn't hold a lead in the 4th quarter.  Ngakoue would be a huge help to this team.

Ngakoue has worn his welcome out with 5 of the 32 teams which limits his options. He has not played a full season 3 of the last 4 years. I could see him being a role player for us but he would need to really humble himself and play at a pretty large discount.  The key phrase is "does he fit our vision and culture of the team going forward" Also, I have tough time thinking our ownership really wants to have round two of the ugliness the last time he was here.

I don't think he fits a 3-4 scheme anyway,  but who knows what this team is doing on defense?  I know Baker would be a nice add.  Give him what he wants if you ask me we have a Super Bowl window I feel like we need to capitalize and be aggressive now.

(04-16-2023, 12:48 AM)JaguarJosh2 Wrote:
(04-15-2023, 05:04 PM)Jag149 Wrote: Ngakoue has worn his welcome out with 5 of the 32 teams which limits his options. He has not played a full season 3 of the last 4 years. I could see him being a role player for us but he would need to really humble himself and play at a pretty large discount.  The key phrase is "does he fit our vision and culture of the team going forward" Also, I have tough time thinking our ownership really wants to have round two of the ugliness the last time he was here.

I don't think he fits a 3-4 scheme anyway,  but who knows what this team is doing on defense?  I know Baker would be a nice add.  Give him what he wants if you ask me we have a Super Bowl window I feel like we need to capitalize and be aggressive now.

Agreed, and neither does 90% of our defensive roster.. especially drafting two ILB in the first 3 rounds last year, made no sense without running a 4-3. 

OLB Lloyd MLB Foye OLB Muma
DE Walker/Allen

All our "key young players" would match so much better in a 4-3.

Assuming budda is bad for the locker room because he requested a trade is a bit far fetched, there’s every chance cardinals will
Be the worse team in the league this season, maybe he’s looked at it and thought if I’m gonna waste my best/last 4 years here I want paying too dollar if not I wanna win and who can blame him for that. Who knows what he’ll get traded for I think a 3rd seems right but reading people would only offer a 6th then on Twitter seen countless eagles fans saying give up pick 30 for him. Crazy the difference in value across fan bases

My problem with trading for Budda Baker is that we are at the point where we have to stop hiring high priced free agents. We cannot keep doing that. Our salary cap is bursting at the seams already, and Baker wants to be the highest paid safety in the league, which would be around $19 million per year.

We have to stop with the high priced free agents.

Ahhh ... To have Caldwell back for just this situation... One of his better traits was a happy knack of somehow fleecing opposing franchises by a round or two in trades!

I'd not be averse to finding out what Bakers situation is, id certainly pick up the phone! And you'd like to think if we were interested, Baalke would be savvy enough to structure the contract as such that we could have a reasonable out in a couple of years if needed. that skills and foresight shouldn't be beyond him! Personally im not sure id go past a fifth or packaging a fifth and a sixth/seventh, but you can but ask! Thing with trades is your playing the situation as much as paying for market value. One would assume the eagles who have fewer weaknesses across the board may be willing to push the price up a touch with less to gain in the draft... One of the benefits of being towards top of the tree i suppose!!

Caldwell would still have somehow pursuaded Ossenfort to a swap of seventh rounders though ...

And moved up about 15 places into the bargain!!! Ha!

(This post was last modified: 04-16-2023, 08:33 AM by wg171.)

(04-16-2023, 02:19 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(04-16-2023, 12:48 AM)JaguarJosh2 Wrote: I don't think he fits a 3-4 scheme anyway,  but who knows what this team is doing on defense?  I know Baker would be a nice add.  Give him what he wants if you ask me we have a Super Bowl window I feel like we need to capitalize and be aggressive now.

Agreed, and neither does 90% of our defensive roster.. especially drafting two ILB in the first 3 rounds last year, made no sense without running a 4-3. 

DE Walker/Allen

Agreed. Would love a switch to a 4-3 base.
Regardless, the team will be playing a 4-2-5 most of the time or a variation of it.

(04-16-2023, 06:34 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: My problem with trading for Budda Baker is that we are at the point where we have to stop hiring high priced free agents. We cannot keep doing that. Our salary cap is bursting at the seams already, and Baker wants to be the highest paid safety in the league, which would be around $19 million per year.

I would word it differently by saying stop giving elite dollars to average players. I am not referring to Baker.

(04-16-2023, 08:30 AM)wg171 Wrote:
(04-16-2023, 02:19 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Agreed, and neither does 90% of our defensive roster.. especially drafting two ILB in the first 3 rounds last year, made no sense without running a 4-3. 

DE Walker/Allen

Agreed. Would love a switch to a 4-3 base.
Regardless, the team will be playing a 4-2-5 most of the time or a variation of it.

(04-16-2023, 06:34 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: My problem with trading for Budda Baker is that we are at the point where we have to stop hiring high priced free agents.  We cannot keep doing that.  Our salary cap is bursting at the seams already, and Baker wants to be the highest paid safety in the league, which would be around $19 million per year. 

I would word it differently by saying stop giving elite dollars to average players. I am not referring to Baker.

No.  We have to stop giving elite dollars period.  We are tapped out.  No more big contracts until we extend Trevor.  We can't afford any more.  We're pushing cap dollars into the future as it is, just to get under the cap this year.  

It seems like a lot of people just want to keep going with the big contracts, without understand where our limits are, and what the consequences will be if we keep doing it.

I understand people’s reservations about cap space but with the current tv deals in place the cap is likely to sore over the next 2/3 years at a higher pace than ever before, and all the money frees up in 2 years, for example, in 2 years time Kirk, Jones, RRH, fatukasi, Jenkins and cam are all likely off the roster and you hope we’ve drafted well where we are extending draft picks, but the cap while tight this year really isn’t a problem moving forward

(04-16-2023, 09:31 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(04-16-2023, 08:30 AM)wg171 Wrote: Agreed. Would love a switch to a 4-3 base.

No.  We have to stop giving elite dollars period.  We are tapped out.  No more big contracts until we extend Trevor.  We can't afford any more.  We're pushing cap dollars into the future as it is, just to get under the cap this year.  

It seems like a lot of people just want to keep going with the big contracts, without understand where our limits are, and what the consequences will be if we keep doing it.

I disagree. We have a window now while he's cheap. Sell out to win it all now while you can put an elite team around him then count on him to carry lesser teams in the future.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Baker is a great player but we would have to give up some nice draft capital and hes to much money.

(04-14-2023, 10:35 PM)Jag88 Wrote:
(04-14-2023, 10:08 PM)JaguarJosh2 Wrote: Budda Baker and Devin White want out of their current situation.  I don't think we have a need for White,  but we do need secondary help.  Would love a Baker/Cisco safety tandem.

Both nice players. You make room for either.

Devin White would be an immediate upgrade over Lloyd.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(04-16-2023, 09:23 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(04-14-2023, 10:35 PM)Jag88 Wrote: Both nice players. You make room for either.

Devin White would be an immediate upgrade over Lloyd.

White has a cap hit of 11million, playing on his 5th year option.  My crystal ball isn't strong enough to agree with this.

(04-16-2023, 09:53 PM)Jag149 Wrote:
(04-16-2023, 09:23 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: Devin White would be an immediate upgrade over Lloyd.

White has a cap hit of 11million, playing on his 5th year option.  My crystal ball isn't strong enough to agree with this.

Agreed, but it sounds like you are arguing the deal more than the talent. We are banking on Lloyd making a big jump in ability this year, which may be wishful thinking at best. At this point, White is the better talent.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption