Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Monroe Traded

(This post was last modified: 10-03-2013, 10:38 AM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:No. You claimed Caldwell said "Marcedes being one of the cornerstones going forward". He said nothing like that. He simply said Lewis was part of the core of the team. Like it or not, he is. The team just has a terrible core at the moment.

You're picking at straws based on a similar but different term I used. Gimme a break. 

The point is that Caldwell saw Marcedes and that fat contract that he's far from lived up to was worth continuing on with.....and it wasn't / isn't. Marcedes should have been one of the first ones out the door. If you are going to get rid of players liek Derek Cox, Knighton et al, how do you justify not showing Marcedes the door also??? He deserved it more than any of the starters that we let go this past offseason. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:You're picking at straws based on a similar but different term I used. Gimme a break. 

The point is that Caldwell saw Marcedes and that fat contract that he's far from lived up to was worth continuing on with.....and it wasn't / isn't. Marcedes should have been one of the first ones out the door. If you are going to get rid of players liek Derek Cox, Knighton et al, how do you not justify showing Marcedes the door also??? He deserved it more than any of the starters that we let go this past offseason. 

Cox and Knighton were free agents. Lewis wasn't. You're better than this, right?

;

;

Quote:You're picking at straws based on a similar but different term I used. Gimme a break. 

The point is that Caldwell saw Marcedes and that fat contract that he's far from lived up to was worth continuing on with.....and it wasn't / isn't. Marcedes should have been one of the first ones out the door. If you are going to get rid of players liek Derek Cox, Knighton et al, how do you justify not showing Marcedes the door also??? He deserved it more than any of the starters that we let go this past offseason. 

Because Cox/Knighton hit free agency?

I'm sure if some team offered Caldwell something for Lewis, he'd take it.  But he's injured, and I don't think teams trade for injured players very often.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:You have zero knowledge of their intentions. Not that it matters, intentions are not contracts. They are only guaranteed him for 12 games. That is a rental and even if it is a rental what do you care ? They only paid peanuts anyway, Right?

Actually I'm pretty sure there is a soundbite/ quotes from the Ravens/ or maybe it was Monroe himself, that they plan on keeping Monroe long term.  Nobody but some of the posters on here, are looking at it like a "rental" in MLB. (major league baseball) 

(This post was last modified: 10-03-2013, 10:43 AM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Cox and Knighton were free agents. Lewis wasn't. You're better than this, right?

Cox would have cost around 5 MIL per to keep. We didn't think that was worth re-signing him. Yet we did decide that it was worth it to keep Marcedes who's production bar the one season has been low, and he makes one of the higher contracts at his position. 

Marcedes was such an easy "cut" it was ridiculous. 

Yet, Caldwell saw it differently. Yeah, that should give us all pause. 

Planning on keeping him and actually keeping him are two different things.  Most national experts are supporting the deal, with no bias to either team, either way.  You, again, bash everything the team does, the compensation they receive for it, etc. 

The writing was on the wall in April, whether you knew that or not, Caldwell likely did.  If he didn't, he and/or the staff was not satisfied with his level of play for the future, felt Joekel was the better tackle, then got two picks for someone they'd have lost in FA. 

Not really sure how it's a bad move, provided he wasn't playing to the level they wanted and with a #2 pick and the future at that position currently on the roster.

<a target="_blank" href="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v107/chuckd132132/p1_manning_all_200.jpg" target="_blank">VIEW IMAGE</a>

Quote:No. We got a 2014 4th and 5th.

The only reason there is a premium between two drafts is when you are trading with someone and you have to offer them something of better value in order to get them to make a trade.

There is no rule of thumb defining the value between a team's own draft pick in different years, especially considering the fact that a team could be drafting at the opposite ends of the round each year.

The idea is not to get a better value from another team, it regards the time value of money as applied to NFL picks. Whether it is your picks or someone elses is irrelevant. It relates to the relative value of picks in two different draft years. The idea is supported here and here. Or you could just google "one round higher" and NFL draft pick and check the results. Pretty sure it is commonly accepted. Or to put it another way, imagine the Ravens saying you can have our 2015 3rd OR our 2014 4th and 5th. The 2014 is a better value(especially since the 2014 is guaranteed at least one pick higher[32vs33 in round]). 

<p class="bbc_left">Education is the cheap defense of nations. - Edmund Burke

<p class="bbc_left"> 

<p class="bbc_left">Or is it from Burke? I tried finding the source, and looked through some of his writings, no luck. Anybody with google-fu got a citation of the source?

Quote:Because Cox/Knighton hit free agency?

I'm sure if some team offered Caldwell something for Lewis, he'd take it.  But he's injured, and I don't think teams trade for injured players very often.

Uhmmm, Marcedes at the very least should have been given an ultimatum - take a serious pay cut or be released. It easily should have been one of the first moves Caldwell made. 

Quote:Cox would have cost around 5 MIL per to keep. We didn't think that was worth re-signing him. Yet we did decide that it was worth it to keep Marcedes who's production bar the one season has been low, and he makes one of the higher contracts at his position. 

If you don't see the difference between re-signing a guy hitting free agency and keeping a guy currently under contract than nobody can help you. You're trying too hard. He kept Lewis and his 2013 salary. It has nothing to do with his contract as a whole, which is what you are looking at. Maybe you should look at his 2014 salary and you will realize that this is Lewis' final year here. So will you give Caldwell credit when Lewis is released in February?

;

;

(This post was last modified: 10-03-2013, 10:47 AM by Jagwired.)

Quote:Actually I'm pretty sure there is a soundbite/ quotes from the Ravens/ or maybe it was Monroe himself, that they plan on keeping Monroe long term.  Nobody but some of the posters on here, are looking at it like a "rental" in MLB. (major league baseball) 
So again, you have zero actual knowledge. You're really reaching today. at least you're "pretty sure" . Comical.

There is no contract past 12 games  in place

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

Quote:Cox would have cost around 5 MIL per to keep. We didn't think that was worth re-signing him. Yet we did decide that it was worth it to keep Marcedes who's production bar the one season has been low, and he makes one of the higher contracts at his position. 

You don't understand impacts to cap space do you.

Caldwell needed to have some of these contract salaries on the books in order to stay above the salary cap floor.

He has no loyalty to any of these guys nor does he appear to believe that they have much value.

Quote:That's just your opinion bro
Apparently, it's not only his opinion...

[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

Quote:Most national experts are supporting the deal, with no bias to either team, either way.  

Yeah, because Jax got the worst of the deal... they're happy, because this is the kind of deal that keeps the Jags down, thus they'll be able to bash us more in the future. You watch - when / if we get Bridgewater - (which would be a GREAT get for the Jags) the Nat'l media/ football writers will try to give a negative slant and bash it, because they know we'll then be headed for good things. 

(This post was last modified: 10-03-2013, 10:51 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Quote:You, again, bash everything the team does

I would have to think that the person that has bashed everthing that this team has done in recent years was probably correct 99.9% of the time.

Just look at us.  I've never seen an NFL team do what we've done in the age of Free Agency.  The NFL has done everything possible to establish parity.  This is what we get?

I'm indifferent on the Monroe trade -- at this time, I'm going to defer judgement on Caldwell until after the next offseason.

Quote:Uhmmm, Marcedes at the very least should have been given an ultimatum - take a serious pay cut or be released. It easily should have been one of the first moves Caldwell made. 

Quote:If you don't see the difference between re-signing a guy hitting free agency and keeping a guy currently under contract than nobody can help you. You're trying too hard. He kept Lewis and his 2013 salary. It has nothing to do with his contract as a whole, which is what you are looking at. Maybe you should look at his 2014 salary and you will realize that this is Lewis' final year here. So will you give Caldwell credit when Lewis is released in February?

Quote:You don't understand impacts to cap space do you.

See my quote above. 

Somebody forgot to take their meds today.

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

Quote:Yeah, because Jax got the worst of the deal... they're happy, because this is the kind of deal that keeps the Jags down, thus they'll be able to bash us more in the future. You watch - when / if we get Bridgewater - (which would be a GREAT get for the Jags) the Nat'l media/ football writers will try to give a negative slant and bash it, because they know we'll then be headed for good things. 
The national media gave our last draft raving reviews. 

(This post was last modified: 10-03-2013, 10:55 AM by Bon Jagley.)

Quote:See my quote above. 

All you are doing is trying to change your argument. First you tried to claim Caldwell said Lewis was a cornerstone. You were wrong. Then you tried to mention Cox/Knighton being allowed to leave as free agents and choosing to not release Lewis. As if there is some correlation between the two. Now you are saying he should have given Lewis an "ultimatum". You are so desperate. This is all very sad to watch.

;

;

Quote:See my quote above. 
And releasing him would do what to the salary cap and dead money.

Go do some research and get back to us you bonehead.