Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Monroe Traded

@ Mad Dog

First story on Baltimore's website. 

Harbaugh: "He has one year left, we'll see how it shakes out over the next 12 weeks."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:All you are doing is trying to change your argument. You tried to mention Cox/Knighton being allowed to leave as free agents and choosing to not release Lewis. As if there is some correlation between the two. Now you are saying he should have given Lewis an "ultimatum".

the point is - Caldwell let those players walk, partly because of money - he didn't think the production they gave warranted keeping them.......you still with me here?....I know its probably moving a little fast.....so then why didn't the same concept apply to Marcedes? - and don't tell me its only because he was still under contract, when players are given ultimatums of "take a pay cut or be released" every single off season. 

Thats the point. 

Quote:Caldwell would own you in a negotiation. 
I'm no TMD fan.  But Caldwell hasn't shown me anything but unfounded arrogance yet.  We're paying the bulk of the salary for a guy we didn't deem worthy to keep??  Bush league.

Maybe he'll get better....

[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

Quote:the point is - Caldwell let those players walk, partly because of money - he didn't think the production they gave warranted keeping them.......you still with me here?....I know its probably moving a little fast.....so then why didn't the same concept apply to Marcedes? - and don't tell me its only because he was still under contract, when players are given ultimatums of "take a pay cut or be released" every single off season. 

Thats the point. 

Because Marcedes had no reason to 'take a pay cut' over being 'released'

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:the point is - Caldwell let those players walk, partly because of money - he didn't think the production they gave warranted keeping them.......you still with me here?....I know its probably moving a little fast.....so then why didn't the same concept apply to Marcedes? - and don't tell me its only because he was still under contract, when players are given ultimatums of "take a pay cut or be released" every single off season. 

Thats the point. 

You can keep trying to desperately link them all you want. They are two different situations.

;

;

Quote:I'm no TMD fan.  But Caldwell hasn't shown me anything but unfounded arrogance yet.  We're paying the bulk of the salary for a guy we didn't deem worthy to keep??  Bush league.

You mean like Arizona did?  Like a lot of teams do in trades like these?  It's not Bush league at all.  

It's Gore League

Quote:@ Mad Dog

First story on Baltimore's website. 

Harbaugh: "He has one year left, we'll see how it shakes out over the next 12 weeks."

coach speak. 

You wanna have a little wager on Monroe being signed there long term??? Sig bet/ anything? 

The only way Monroe doesn't sign there long term is if he sufferes a career threatening injury in the next few weeks, or suddenly turns into Guy Whimper. 

Quote:I'm no TMD fan.  But Caldwell hasn't shown me anything but unfounded arrogance yet.  We're paying the bulk of the salary for a guy we didn't deem worthy to keep??  Bush league.

I don't care about that.  I just know that if Caldwell and TMD were in a room together negotiating, TMD would probably be shaking in his boots not even knowing where to begin.  Meanwhile Caldwell is spouting terms that TMD has never even heard of.  It would be a no contest. 

Quote:I don't care about that.  I just know that if Caldwell and TMD were in a room together negotiating, TMD would probably be shaking in his boots not even knowing where to begin.  Meanwhile Caldwell is spouting terms that TMD has never even heard of.  It would be a no contest. 

He could offer Caldwell a sig bet

Gene's Myth

Quote:coach speak. 

You wanna have a little wager on Monroe being signed there long term??? Sig bet/ anything? 

The only way Monroe doesn't sign there long term is if he sufferes a career threatening injury in the next few weeks, or suddenly turns into Guy Whimper. 
Do you ever get dizzy?

I've seen TMD use "coach speak" as a reason not to buy a player playing well. Now, this same "coach speak" is being used to make his argument.

Funny how that works.

Quote: - and don't tell me its only because he was still under contract, when players are given ultimatums of "take a pay cut or be released" every single off season. 

I don't think you actually understand how these type deals work. Players do take "pay cuts" every offseason. But the player is not actually taking a cut in pay. All they do is take a lower base salary for this year. The remaining salary is spread out over the life of the contract in the form of some sort of bonus. All this does is increase the player cap figure in future years in order to save room on this year's cap. This is what the Jaguars did in the late 90's/early 2000's. The Steelers have done this alot the last few years.

;

;

Quote:The idea is not to get a better value from another team, it regards the time value of money as applied to NFL picks. Whether it is your picks or someone elses is irrelevant. It relates to the relative value of picks in two different draft years. The idea is supported here and here. Or you could just google "one round higher" and NFL draft pick and check the results. Pretty sure it is commonly accepted. Or to put it another way, imagine the Ravens saying you can have our 2015 3rd OR our 2014 4th and 5th. The 2014 is a better value(especially since the 2014 is guaranteed at least one pick higher[32vs33 in round]). 
Time value of money has to do with earning a premium in the future for giving up the utility (use) of your money today.

You can't charge a premium to yourself so that is why you can only consider the value higher when it is involved in a transaction with someone else. Your pick is your pick just like your dollar is your dollar. You can't make money or increase the value of a draft pick on yourself.

Quote:Because Marcedes had no reason to 'take a pay cut' over being 'released'

....because Caldwell never gave him that ultimatum. Which I think he clearly should have. Marcedes has given the Jags nothing near the type of production that his contract pays him for over these last several years. 

(This post was last modified: 10-03-2013, 11:03 AM by trunt87.)

No I think he will most likely sign.  But there is no guarantee that he will.  What if by some freak phenomenon Eugene doesn't play all that well, or he wants more than the Ravens are willing to pay him, and the Ravens don't want him back? You even said you don't think he is that good. 

You can't say coach speak for one thing, then dis Caldwell for saying Lewis is part of the core or whatever it was that he said.  GM speak. 

We will see if he stays there or not. Ravens also running a zone blocking scheme. If it is true he does not fit the scheme well I would doubt he will be resigned.

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

Quote:....because Caldwell never gave him that ultimatum. Which I think he clearly should have. Marcedes has given the Jags nothing near the type of production that his contract pays him for over these last several years. 

Caldwell: Alright Lewis, take a paycut or get cut!

Marcedes Lewis: You mean... I can still get my salary and leave this awful team?  Man that sounds like an amazing deal.  

Quote: I don't think you actually understand how these type deals work. Players do take "pay cuts" every offseason. But the player is not actually taking a cut in pay. All they do is take a lower base salary for this year. The remaining salary is spread out over the life of the contract in the form of some sort of bonus. All this does is increase the player cap figure in future years in order to save room on this year's cap. This is what the Jaguars did in the late 90's/early 2000's. The Steelers have done this alot the last few years.

No, there are 2 types of pay cuts, the kind you speak of, and flat out legitimate "you are nowhere near worth the money anymore, so take the re-negotiation or be gone"....

I do know the kind of pay cut you are referring to. Its the kind that star players sometimes take to aid in helping the salary cap so teams can sign more players to make them better. Hasn't Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady agreed to these types in the past?... 

Quote:....because Caldwell never gave him that ultimatum. Which I think he clearly should have. Marcedes has given the Jags nothing near the type of production that his contract pays him for over these last several years. 

Again. You are looking at the contract as a whole with Lewis. All Caldwell committed to with Lewis was his base salary in 2013. Lewis has a huge jump in salary in 2014 and will be cut next offseason. Watch.

;

;

Quote:You mean like Arizona did?  Like a lot of teams do in trades like these?  It's not Bush league at all.  

It's Gore League
lol

[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!