Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
It's time to question coaching

Like it or not Gus and Dave built this team. They drafted their players, they kept their players, they bought their players. They own this roster so if it lacks talent, or it lacks motivation, or it lacks commitment then it's still on the staff.

I didn't like the hire in the first place. I thought our team was in such a dismal state that we should have hired a proven head coach, not another coordinator. Eventually it may turn out for them, but the movie is not getting any better.

Regards...................the Chiefjag

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

One thing I questioned was Gus bringing the Seattle defensive scheme here. In Seattle, they created that scheme out of necessity based on who they had in their team. Here, we installed the scheme despite not having a real LEO (year 1) or that roaming FS to play single-high. This year, it looks like our front-four has improved a bit, but we still lack that rangy-FS yet we continue to try and play Cover 3...and it just isn't holding up.

Quote:One thing I questioned was Gus bringing the Seattle defensive scheme here. In Seattle, they created that scheme out of necessity based on who they had in their team. Here, we installed the scheme despite not having a real LEO (year 1) or that roaming FS to play single-high. This year, it looks like our front-four has improved a bit, but we still lack that rangy-FS yet we continue to try and play Cover 3...and it just isn't holding up.

What other scheme would you suggest? The Jaguars are so bare of talent on defense they'd struggle in any scheme, there was nothing wrong with bring the press Cover 3 concept to Jacksonville, David has to find the players that fit the scheme.

Quote:One thing I questioned was Gus bringing the Seattle defensive scheme here. In Seattle, they created that scheme out of necessity based on who they had in their team. Here, we installed the scheme despite not having a real LEO (year 1) or that roaming FS to play single-high. This year, it looks like our front-four has improved a bit, but we still lack that rangy-FS yet we continue to try and play Cover 3...and it just isn't holding up.

well when we play cover 2 we get gashed up the middle by a TE.  When we play man the receiver goes deep and gets a TD.  I don't know what the solution is here.

(This post was last modified: 09-29-2014, 11:19 AM by jagforlife85.)

Quote:well when we play cover 2 we get gashed up the middle by a TE.  When we play man the receiver goes deep and gets a TD.  I don't know what the solution is here.

There currently isn't a solution, the team needs an effective LEO, it needs to rebuild the linebacking core, it needs a FS, and more corners. Our defense from a talent perspective is easily the worst in football.

Quote:What other scheme would you suggest? The Jaguars are so bare of talent on defense they'd struggle in any scheme, there was nothing wrong with bring the press Cover 3 concept to Jacksonville, David has to find the players that fit the scheme.

I'm not saying that we couldn't eventually switch to run that scheme. But we don't have the personnel to do it, and it's showing.  I think Gus and Dave are finding out that doing what Seattle did, which is turn 5th/6th and late round picks in the secondary to pro-bowlers is more difficult than it seemed. You're not going to find Chancellor/Sherman that easy, especially if you think you can find them again in the lower end of the draft.

Quote:well when we play cover 2 we get gashed up the middle by a TE.  When we play man the receiver goes deep and gets a TD.  I don't know what the solution is here.

Then maybe we need to take our 2-down LB off on obvious passing situations rather than keeping him out there. By the way, that TD that McCray gave up was a Cover 3 look.

Quote:I'm not saying that we couldn't eventually switch to run that scheme. But we don't have the personnel to do it, and it's showing.  I think Gus and Dave are finding out that doing what Seattle did, which is turn 5th/6th and late round picks in the secondary to pro-bowlers is more difficult than it seemed. You're not going to find Chancellor/Sherman that easy, especially if you think you can find them again in the lower end of the draft.

I understand completely, my point is we don't have the playmakers/talent on defense to run man, cover 2, Tampa 2, cover 3, cover 4, zone blitz, man blitz etc.... We'd struggle in any defense, there isn't one guy on this defense offensive coordinators have to scheme around, and that's a problem in the NFL.

SpeedyG,

The solution is David Caldwell needs to dedicate his cap and draft resources to rebuilding this defense, it needs playmakers and more athleticism, I don't blame Gus for trying to implement his defense, he's a cover 3/man guy.

Quote:SpeedyG,

The solution is David Caldwell needs to dedicate his cap and draft resources to rebuilding this defense, it needs playmakers and more athleticism, I don't blame Gus for trying to implement his defense, he's a cover 3/man guy.

He already has rebuilt this defense........I think Poz is the only holdover from 2 years ago.

One of these years.............

Quote:Like it or not Gus and Dave built this team. They drafted their players, they kept their players, they bought their players. They own this roster so if it lacks talent, or it lacks motivation, or it lacks commitment then it's still on the staff.

I didn't like the hire in the first place. I thought our team was in such a dismal state that we should have hired a proven head coach, not another coordinator. Eventually it may turn out for them, but the movie is not getting any better.

Regards...................the Chiefjag

I guess the thing I've been saying is the roster was so bad when they started it's hard to think they would turn it around so quickly in 20 games.

Quote:I guess the thing I've been saying is the roster was so bad when they started it's hard to think they would turn it around so quickly in 20 games.

Not turn it around...but perhaps not suck as bad (or worse).

Quote:I know when to call strawman when I see one.

Nobody is arguing that we should be elite or that we should be in the playoffs. That is the false argument YOU have built up to argue against it. (Strawman)....

No buddy. You guys try so hard to avoid the conversation or point. What team has gone through a complete rebuild and was good 20 games later. You have yet to say that. Even my question on should we blow it all up again next year if we get another coach was avoided.

The only straw man here is the one you have built to avoid this conversation.

Quote:He already has rebuilt this defense........I think Poz is the only holdover from 2 years ago.

Yep, he's showing that needs based drafting isn't necessarily going to make a unit or position better.

Cyprien is good, but considering he was a #33 overall pick he'd better be.

Hopefully Colvin is as good as he was supposed to be prior to his ACL.

(This post was last modified: 09-29-2014, 11:37 AM by Etdavis2006.)

Quote:Not turn it around...but perhaps not suck as bad (or worse).
Hopefully they turn it around this year. That's all I can ask for. I really didn't see this team doing much this year. 4-5 is all I really see this roster doing and that is with all factors going in our favor.

This ineptitude didn't just start last year. This is what years of failed draft picks look like.

Quote:Then maybe we need to take our 2-down LB off on obvious passing situations rather than keeping him out there. By the way, that TD that McCray gave up was a Cover 3 look.

Nah it was man

Quote:Hopefully they turn it around this year. That's all I can ask for. I really didn't see this team doing much this year. 4-5 is all I really see this roster doing and that is with all factors going in our favor.

We've been so battered as a fan base that it would be acceptable this season to win 4 games...that's truly the sad part.  Frankly, I'd be happy to win 4 games and at least not look like roadkill....unfortunately, I don't think we'll reach those lofty goals.  We're like Vanderbilt.

I question play calling. 

Look at the 3rd and 1 in the 4th we hand it off go nowhere then try again on 4th with another hand off. Why would you take the ball out of your only play makers hands(BB).

I understand at times to get the run going to sell the pass.

On defense we flat out need new linebackers and Defensive backs I don't think they could cover my wheel chair bound grandmother. This Zone scheme is horrid. If an opposing Qb wanted to throw for 600 on us I think they could without a problem. 

I think when its all said and done we will average 325-250 yards passing against us per game with quie a few 400 yard games. 

Ben is going to have a field day on us my prediction 365 passing and over 160 for Brown maybe over 200.

Quote:He already has rebuilt this defense........I think Poz is the only holdover from 2 years ago.

Besides Jonathan Cyprien, how many valuable resources (high draft picks and lucrative free agent dollars) has David Caldwell invested in this defense? All of the guys they've signed in FA were 3rd/4th tier players, Chris Clemons and Red Bryant are merely stop gaps. I said this in a previous post, David Caldwell needs to invest of all his resources in rebuilding this defense, they need to sign young high end defensive free agents while investing high/multiple draft picks on it as well.

Quote:We've been so battered as a fan base that it would be acceptable this season to win 4 games...that's truly the sad part. Frankly, I'd be happy to win 4 games and at least not look like roadkill....unfortunately, I don't think we'll reach those lofty goals. We're like Vanderbilt.

Yeah man it's been rough These past few years. I have to focus on the small victories we get. And be thankful I got to see Air Del Rio in there heyday.