Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
It's time to question coaching

Quote:My fear is that some people don't really get how bad we are. They still believe we were a good team and that hasn't been the case for a while. They are constantly trying to hire and fire every year. But I guess that's how the average fan feels.

I wouldn't worry. I think everyone's patience is being tested and (imo) its well within their right to be frustrated. I think theres a valid reason as to why we have problems on the field. I don't have an instantly obtainable solution and I couldn't implement one even if I did. So why worry?
"Life is tough; it's tougher when you're stupid." -John Wayne

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I wouldn't worry. I think everyone's patience is being tested and (imo) its well within their right to be frustrated. I think theres a valid reason as to why we have problems on the field. I don't have an instantly obtainable solution and I couldn't implement one even if I did. So why worry?
perhaps you're right... (sigh...) I just need to take a deep breath and repeat to myself 'next year'....'next year'.

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

(This post was last modified: 09-30-2014, 02:43 PM by Etdavis2006.)

Quote:Our defensive scheme is very similar to Seattle, but unlike Seattle, we don't have the talent level to execute that style defense. The problem is that rather than adjust our scheme to best utilize the talent we do have, Gus keeps trying to run the Seattle style. Result; leagues worst defensive record, 0-4 record, double digit loses.

The hope was that with Bortles behind center the defense would get more of a chance to rest than they were getting with Henne; and they are. However, allowing the defense to get more rest only solved part of the problem. There is little the offense can do when individuals in our defensive secondary are continually blowing coverage and allowing easy pass plays of 20+ yards or more and touchdowns. Our defensive line can't get to mobile quarterbacks fast enough when receivers and being allowed to run open down field. It isn't all Winston Guys fault either (though he was a major issue with this).

It's pretty clear that Gus is reluctant to run a different style defense than he did in Seattle. In the mean time, other teams with good offenses are wiping the floor with the Jaguars defensive secondary. What can we do??? I don't know; I don't have enough football 'savvy' to even speculate on what to do. All I can do is observe what happens on the field on game day and draw conclusions from it.

I will say that the Steelers are a good team and 'big ben' will be looking to take advantage of our defensive secondary troubles. Right now, I would have to speculate that, given the ineptitude demonstrated by our secondary and the lack of talented depth we have there, our troubles are far from over. While Bortles is demonstrating many of the characteristics wanted in a franchise quarterback, he is nevertheless a rookie and playing with mostly other rookies on offense. He will keep the game interesting while he is on the field but it is unlikely that (given the support he has) he will be able to 'pull out' games without more help from the defense.... help which at this point doesn't look likely to be forthcoming soon.

sorry to paint such a bleak picture, but the jags are what they are. We need better players all over our team (except maybe quarterback). I say the drafting priorities are

#1. the offensive line

#2. the defensive secondary

#3. linebackers

#4. running back

Maybe Gus needs to talk to his 'life coach' for some inspiration and to let him know that he doesn't have to... nor should he... stick to what he's done in the past as a defensive coordinator. The jaguars, with this roster, aren't even a shadow of the seahawks. He needs to get over it and coach this team.
Usually when you come to a new team you build a scheme around the building block players you have e.g Del Rio with his cover 2 scheme with Stroud and Henderson. The problem was when Gus came he had no pieces like that to feature in his defense and build around. So instead he decided to install a system and see what guys we had on the roster last year that could run it. I'm pretty sure he could change the scheme depending on the players but his approach to the team was different as he can to a team in such poor condition.

You guys keep getting caught up in Seattle this Seattle that but you need to focus on the scheme. It takes time to build any defense. He just had to go another route with his installation process.

(This post was last modified: 09-30-2014, 02:30 PM by Etdavis2006.)

lol

Yeah man.

Im not a big fan of there being no emphasis on winning. You can be a bad team, and still stress the importance of winning to your players. "Get better each week" doesnt suggest a sense of urgency at all.

Quote:Im not a big fan of there being no emphasis on winning. You can be a bad team, and still stress the importance of winning to your players. "Get better each week" doesnt suggest a sense of urgency at all.

No one is arguing that. We all want to win. I think the main focus we all are trying to say is that it is not fair to blame this regime for the situation we are in currently. I'm sure Gus and those players hate losing just as much as we hate seeing it.

What most arr trying to say is we are building from the ground up. The team was abysmal before they arrived and need time to build. We have to focus on these improvements. Getting sacks is something we haven't been doing for a long time. We get sacks now. It's been a while since I saw 70% completion. That happend Sunday. I actually saw wideouts getting open and catching passes.

We are all frustrated we are losing still and are tired of hearing about a rebuild again. But these are things that this team hasn't been able to do for quite sometime. The fact we got past half field in the first half is a major jump from where this team was. I've never seen us convert so many third and longs before. That's is the improvement we have to look for because that's how terrible this team has been.

Quote:Im not a big fan of there being no emphasis on winning. You can be a bad team, and still stress the importance of winning to your players. "Get better each week" doesnt suggest a sense of urgency at all.

Gus addressed that in his presser yesterday.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Bradley actually touched on this in his presser. The website edited out the second part of his comments on the matter but he said that they aren't OK with losing and stressed that while they are trusting the process  they are also holding players accountable for their mistakes.  Part of his remarks were "just because we're strong on the process doesn't mean we're light on losing." 

There's more "rah-rah" positivity in his press conferences than in the locker room.  Don't be fooled by what he spins to the media. 

Quote:This team has 4 winnable games coming up.

what are you gonna say if we lose those 4 winnable games?

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Bill Belichick doesn't look like such a genius now that Brady is apparently heading downhill, does he?

Quote:what are you gonna say if we lose those 4 winnable games?

Don't worry, there will be plenty of threads for unhappy Jags fans to voice their opinions if they lose.

We will hear all about it right here.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Such threads should be banned. Want to question coaching, go root for the Raiders.

Patience is a virtue.

I have been very positive on many of the team's issues, but that doesn't give anyone a pass.

Gus Bradley OWNS those fourth down failures...all of them. A coach had best feel very confident of success when taking gambles like that. When failure in a crucial situation like all of these occurs, it provides insight into the mind of the coach. He was overconfident in every instance, and it cost the team both points and momentum. I'm not bashing, just casting light on the fact the coach is young too, and accountable, and needs to improve.

I darn well hope the next time his gambling juices are flowing he has a better handle on the success of whatever play he (hopefully) has stashed in his pocket.

There is enough accountability to go around.

Quote:So here is my question do we fire Caldwell and Gus at the end of the season? Do you feel that is the best plan of action for this team? Serious question because I do want to know what you think.
Caldwell no, his future is tied to Bortle's success and so far Blake appears to have big-time potential, so he's safe through next season.

Gus very possibly needs to go, depending on the continuing development of the team.  I like the guy, but he really seems to be in over his head.  The team just doesn't appear to be improving anywhere.  He needs to be the head coach, not every players best friend and I'm not sure that he knows how to do that.

He's not responsible for the roster, but he is responsible for what he does with it.  Getting beat because the other teams players are bigger, stronger, faster, more athletic, etc. is not his fault.  Getting beat because the secondary is less organized than a bunch of guys in a pick-up game is his fault and he needs to be held accountable. 

When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

Quote:Such threads should be banned. Want to question coaching, go root for the Raiders.

Patience is a virtue.

Andy Reid seems to have done a good job turning around that stink pile that was in KC with basically the same personell...   

Coaching matters...  I know alot of us want to hold out hope for Gus.  I do too.  But at some point we have to realize that while we may lack talent are are issues that are showing up that better coaching would resolve.

It's players AND coaching.  It's not just one thing.  It's not just players.  It''s not just plays.  it's both.  And both are lacking at this point.

With that said, I'm more confident that the players on the offensive side of the ball are going to improve with better QB play that is on the way.  But the conservative philosophy of the OC is still a concern for me.

Quote:Caldwell no, his future is tied to Bortle's success and so far Blake appears to have big-time potential, so he's safe through next season.

Gus very possibly needs to go, depending on the continuing development of the team.  I like the guy, but he really seems to be in over his head.  The team just doesn't appear to be improving anywhere.  He needs to be the head coach, not every players best friend and I'm not sure that he knows how to do that.

He's not responsible for the roster, but he is responsible for what he does with it.  Getting beat because the other teams players are bigger, stronger, faster, more athletic, etc. is not his fault.  Getting beat because the secondary is less organized than a bunch of guys in a pick-up game is his fault and he needs to be held accountable. 

I'm not so sure Gus needs to go quite yet...  His coordinators on the other hand...  I fear they may be in over their heads...

Babich's prior stint was with the Bears in 2004-2012 where he basically had talent popping out of the team's seams and was under a HC that was defensive minded...  

Perhaps he rode more on the coat-tails of the talent on that team as opposed to really learning how to coach a defense...  I'm just saying...  If we're gonna start talking accountability, the coaches need to also be under question after 2 years...

In Babich’s nine years with Chicago, the Bears linebacker corps was arguably the most productive in the NFL with Lance Briggs (7) and Brian Urlacher (4) combining to make 11 Pro Bowls. Urlacher was named the 2005 NFL Defensive Player of the Year, and in 2007 he became just the third player in franchise history to record five sacks and five interceptions in a single season. Briggs is one of four Bears linebackers to be selected to seven straight Pro Bowls joining Hall of Famers Mike Singletary, Dick Butkus and Bill George. Either Urlacher or Briggs led the Bears in tackles in each of Babich’s nine seasons with the team, Briggs in 2004 (168), 2008 (136), 2009 (147), 2011 (147) and 2012 (128) and Urlacher in 2005 (171), 2006 (185), 2007 (158) and 2010 (146).

Quote:Bill Belichick doesn't look like such a genius now that Brady is apparently heading downhill, does he?

The guy has a few rings. Nuff said.

Quote:I'm not so sure Gus needs to go quite yet...  His coordinators on the other hand...  I fear they may be in over their heads...
Part of his job is ensuring that they do theirs well.  Just like players, if they're not getting the job done, they need to be replaced.  How much time must pass before their failure becomes his failure? 

When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.