Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles Aggresiveness

Quote:They had a 5 man rush on. Two linebackers were playing pass.  Not very stacked. 

Every time the Jags passed Sunday the defense was always in charging mode as they knew where the (short) pass was going pretty much before it even got there. 

The Jags offense did a lousy job of keeping Pittsburghs defense on its heels. You only can do that by utilizing the whole field. 

But yes, lets keep defending Fisch. 

Hell, you'd think this was Sid friggin Gillman some of you were defending....

It gets really old seeing how some of you fight to the death to defend bad coaches regime after regime. You'd think by now with all the experience, (lol), you'd finally start becoming like veteran fans and call bad coaches out even if they are your own. But no....our fans are proud of our own bad coaches. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:by "every" I guess you mean "2" threads. Both dealing with the QB/ coaching/ passing game. I.e. topical. 

Whiff. 
Pfft.. you'll get to all of them eventually..  And when you run out of threads to push your agenda in, you'll create new ones....It's what you do.

[Image: Welcome%20to%20Duval_zps4z3erxne.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 10-08-2014, 07:38 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Pfft.. you'll get to all of them eventually..  And when you run out of threads to push your agenda in, you'll create new ones....It's what you do.

Its football discussion dude....don't be such a whiner. 

You may not like what I have to say, but as long as its topical and I'm not insulting anyone, I can say it. 

(oh and its not in every thread, nor will it be). Theres like 40 other threads on this main page that I haven't, and won't bother with. 

Quote:Every time the Jags passed Sunday the defense was always in charging mode as they knew where the (short) pass was going pretty much before it even got there. 

The Jags offense did a lousy job of keeping Pittsburghs defense on its heels. You only can do that by utilizing the whole field. 

Hogwash. ^ 

<div><a class="" href='https://twitter.com/ryanohalloran'><b>Ryan O'Halloran</b> <span style="color:rgb(136,153,166);font-size:13px;"><span>@ryanohalloran</span></span></a> · <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/ryanohalloran/status/519967913705746432' title="2:49 PM - 8 Oct 2014"><span>7h7 hours ago</a></span>
</div>

<p class="" style="font-size:26px;">RT <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/HaysCarlyon'>@HaysCarlyon</a> Fisch on Bortles: "His instincts as a runner are just as good as his instincts as a passer."

<p class="" style="font-size:26px;">-------------------------------

<p class="" style="font-size:26px;">^^ Obviously the words of a man trying to "handcuff" his quarterback. Some of you are just rabidly desperate to randomly blame someone for things that haven't even happened yet.

<p class="" style="font-size:26px;"> 

(This post was last modified: 10-09-2014, 02:16 AM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote: 

<div style="color:rgb(136,153,166);margin:0px;font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;">
<div><b>Ryan O'Halloran</b> <span style="color:rgb(136,153,166);font-size:13px;"><span>@ryanohalloran</span></span> · <span>7h7 hours ago</span>
</div>

<p style="font-size:26px;">RT @HaysCarlyon Fisch on Bortles: "His instincts as a runner are just as good as his instincts as a passer."

<p style="font-size:26px;">-------------------------------

<p style="font-size:26px;">^^ Obviously the words of a man trying to "handcuff" his quarterback. Some of you are just rabidly desperate to randomly blame someone for things that haven't even happened yet.

<p style="font-size:26px;"> 

</div>

and some of you just seem to be as rabidly desperate to continue to believe all this stupid lying coachspeak. Jack Del Rio also once said "no more 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense".... How'd that one play out??

When are some of you going to learn that actions speak louder than words?? Talk is cheap. Go by what you SEE, not what they SAY. 

If Fisch was so damned confident in Bortles instincts as a QB, then don't call an offensive game that treats Bortles like a Chad Henne with 50 dink and dunk passes. 

Quote:So his throwing motion also played into it?

There are rumors on twitter that a possible arm concussion could be effecting his throwing motion.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:and some of you just seem to be as rabidly desperate to continue to believe all this stupid lying coachspeak. Jack Del Rio also once said "no more 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense".... How'd that one play out??

What?  What year is it again? 

When are some of you going to learn that actions speak louder than words?? Talk is cheap. Go by what you SEE, not what they SAY. Gonna show you what I see in a second with some screenshots. 

If Fisch was so damned confident in Bortles instincts as a QB, then don't call an offensive game that treats Bortles like a Chad Henne with 50 dink and dunk passes. More than half of Fisch's pass plays have at least one deep option available to the QB.  (More like 80% of them from the first quarter vs squealers)

Here are the first two examples of Bortles throwing to the shorter route with a deeper option available. Sometimes it's pressure - sometimes it's coverage, sometimes it's a rookie being a rookie. 

#1 Allen Hurns is running to the end zone - Bortles has two open men short but is looking for Hurns in double coverage and takes a sack.  Rookie mistake.

[Image: 24g4ns9.jpg]

EXAMPLE 2 :

Bortles throws to Ace for a 7 yard out route while A-Rob is on a go

[Image: ddjss9.jpg]

2 MORE:

Clay Harbor's on a post route but Bortles throws the out to Robinson.

[Image: 33ddyj6.jpg]

#4  -  Hurns is running an intermediate 20 yard curl - Bortles throws the out

[Image: doma85.jpg]

These were all from only the first 10 minutes of the game.  There was more than dink and dunk being called, people. 

Not sure how your screen shots are proving that Fisch wasn't wanting Bortles to throw mostly short passes all game. Just because they have plays where 1 guy is going deep on a route? Its obvious that the guy was nothing but a bad decoy on those plays. On these plays Bortles pretty much had his mind made up before the plays even started that he was going short with the throws because thats what Fisch has wanted from him these past 6 Q of football. 

Quote:Not sure how your screen shots are proving that Fisch wasn't wanting Bortles to throw mostly short passes all game. Just because they have plays where 1 guy is going deep on a route? Its obvious that the guy was nothing but a bad decoy on those plays. On these plays Bortles pretty much had his mind made up before the plays even started that he was going short with the throws because thats what Fisch has wanted from him these past 6 Q of football. 
HAHAHA!  What are you, Miss Cleo??  Stop making stuff up. 

In the first example - Bortles takes a sack trying to throw deep with two men open underneath!  Was Fisch in his ear on that one too?

NYC those images don't lie, but we are constantly hearing people compare him to Luck, Big Ben, and Manning. Did Andrew Luck miss those throws his rookie year?

(This post was last modified: 10-09-2014, 11:39 AM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:HAHAHA!  What are you, Miss Cleo??  Stop making stuff up. 

In the first example - Bortles takes a sack trying to throw deep with two men open underneath!  Was Fisch in his ear on that one too?

The vast majority of Bortles passes Sunday were of the short variety. They've mostly been of this type for 6 consecutive quarters, now. The Bortles of the past 6 Quarters looks nothing like the Bortles we saw in every appearance up to that point. He went from looking like a polar opposite of Henne in his pass attempts, to throwing a lot of Henne type short passes after halftime of that San Diego game. 

Thats the bottom line. 

They need to go back to letting Bortles be Bortles. 

When I see Blake go back to being the gunslinger we saw in every appearance prior to the 3rd Q of the San Diego game, then I'll know that Fisch took the shackles off. 

(This post was last modified: 10-09-2014, 11:46 AM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:NYC those images don't lie, but we are constantly hearing people compare him to Luck, Big Ben, and Manning. Did Andrew Luck miss those throws his rookie year?

Those images just show a few decoys. Not sure what they "aren't lying" about. Bortles still was going short with those passes the whole time, barring anything less than the DB literally falling down and leaving Hurns wide open. Thats what IMO that Fisch wants these past 6 Q. 

The difference is Manning, Big Ben et al, were encouraged to continue making those deep throws downfield regularly and if an INT happened, so what. Manning threw almost 30 INT's his rookie year. But it didn't matter, because what was important was Peyton getting comfotable with that type of throw and developing cohesion with his WR's on intermediate/ deeper plays. Repetitions is the most important thing for a rookie QB. 

Fisch and Bradley are likely overreacting to some of the deeper INT's that Blake has thrown early on here, so thats why you are seeing the sudden shift these past six Q to a Henne-like short pass attack mostly. They need to understand that Blake needs to keep throwing those longer passes until they start getting it right. Thats the only way it will improve. Avoiding them doesn't. 

Quote:The vast majority of Bortles passes Sunday were of the short variety. They've mostly been of this type for 6 consecutive quarters, now. The Bortles of the past 6 Quarters looks nothing like the Bortles we saw in every appearance up to that point. 

LOL.  6 quarters is more than half of his career in the NFL.  

Quote:LOL.  6 quarters is more than half of his career in the NFL.  

All I know that in his first 6 appearances as a Jaguar, being the 4 preseason games, the 2nd half of the Colts game, and the 1st half of the Charger game - his play looked consistently similar and consistently aggressive. His play in this time was similar to his play in his UCF footage last season. 

These past 6 Q of football, he's been noticeably more conservative. Not Bortles-like (by comparison to the above) at all. 

What changed? 

I think I know, but the Fisch-sticks don't wanna hear it. 

Am I the only one that thinks Fisch is trying to run a college style offense? The cute short plays, screens, etc? That crap doesn't work at the NFL level. The Jaguars offense has to be the easiest offense in the league to defend. Sell out on the short stuff and make them beat you deep, which we don't do consistent enough. Having one receiver running 15+ yards on a few plays doesn't fool anyone. Defenses have been cheating up on the offense two years running but have the plays adjusted to that? Heck no they haven't. We'll still throw short routes and bubble screens. Defenses will continue to play us this way the majority of the time until the plays change and we adjust to what the defense is showing. You have to do it more than for a quarter or two at a time too.

I'm sorry but my patience with Fisch has worn out.

Quote: 

I think I know, but the Fisch-sticks don't wanna hear it. 

The bolded is the problem.  I kid, I kid.  

:teehee: Fisch sticks is pretty funny.  A little petty in the context of this "discussion" but funny nonetheless. 

Quote:NYC those images don't lie, but we are constantly hearing people compare him to Luck, Big Ben, and Manning. Did Andrew Luck miss those throws his rookie year?
He missed some, he threw picks on some and he connected on some. 

I think Bortles is more raw than Luck was coming out, and I am OK with him having the rookie roller coaster a little bit because he looks like he'll be a very good QB  sooner than later. 

I think the whole "aggressiveness" and "throwing downfield" debate will disappear within a week or two when he connects on a few good intermediate and deep balls in the coming games.  People are just dying to blame someone for the losses and Fisch is an easy target. 

Bortles said in his presser yesterday that throwing downfield was part of their game plan and that they'd continue to do it. 

"You have to take shots. You have to throw the ball downfield, but you have to take calculated risks…..  If you have a guy and it's a one on one match up i think it's a necessity to throw the ball downfield."

(^ doesn't sound very brainwashed by  supposed the evil Fisch dink and dunk plan)

I think he's been challenged to protect the ball a bit more - which is what happens when you throw as many picks as he has. He might not be looking at the deep guy as intently as he was before in an effort to cut down on picks. I think that's only natural for a rookie looking at his own tape and knowing he doesn't want to throw 35 INTs this year.  ( < what he's on pace for depending on how you crunch the numbers from the half game he played)  He'll be fine. He'll get more comfortable throwing deep even while being challenged to do it smarter. 

Quote: 

"You have to take shots. You have to throw the ball downfield, but you have to take calculated risks…..  If you have a guy and it's a one on one match up i think it's a necessity to throw the ball downfield."

(^ doesn't sound very brainwashed by  supposed the evil Fisch dink and dunk plan)

You and people keep citing empty "rhetoric" like the above, and I'll keep pointing to comments like JDR's "no more 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense"....

Deeds not words. Talk is cheap. 

The offense I've seen in the past 6 quarters is in direct contrast of Fisch's empty rhetoric up there.