Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles Aggresiveness

Bortles audibled to 7 passing plays when runs were called.  Right, wrong, or indifferent, I like his aggressivness.  I also think he's seeing something in the defense that makes him believe a passing play is a better option.  I'm sure every read isn't perfect but I like it.

However, why are Bradley and Fisch trying to discourage him from doing that?  Bradley said they may call more run-only plays where he can't audible to a pass.  Seems foolish to me?  Instead of handcuffing Bortles why not help him learn to make the best read and call?  This should and can be done in the film room and on the sidelines.  I just don't understand this staff.

Thoughts?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

He checked out of a run on the pick 6.  He checked out of enough runs to skew the balance.

This team desperately needs to establish a running game and it looks like the O-line might finally be starting to figure out how to help in that regard a little bit. 

There's nothing wrong with the coaches emphasizing a few run plays and encouraging him not to check out of them.  36 passes and 15 runs is not balanced and balance will aid the passing game's effectiveness in the long run.

He's gunslinger, a touchdown maker. He makes it rain TD's.

I also wonder if him checking out of those plays goes back to him trying to do too much again as well?

I would assume that even in the case of these designated run-only plays, he's still paying attention to the field that can be discussed with coaches while on the sidelines after the possession. I don't see this move by the staff as attempting to curb his aggressiveness per se as it is an exercise aimed at creating and maintaining balance.

<i>Behold man's final mad disgrace.</i>

<i>He chops his nose to spite his face.</i>

-Etrigan the Demon

I think it's a matter of how ineffective our run game is. 

I imagine Gus wants to get the run game going with calls that Blake can't audible out of.  I'm not sure what I think about that.  Our running game just can't seem to get going.  I'd hope they'd stay away from things that aren't working.  It seems our coaching staff has problems with that.  They're slow to make change.  And it often looks as if they make few adjustments at half-time.  I can't blame Gus for wanting to get the run game going, but sometimes it just isn't going to happen.  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:He's gunslinger, a touchdown maker. He makes it rain INT's.
Fixed

I agree that it should be something that is coached.  If he sees a bad setup for a running play (i.e. 8+ in the box), why not let him audible out.  Goodness knows we've seen what happens when we don't audible out.  If they don't like how often he's audibling just because it skews the balance, then I see a problem with that.  If they are smart checks, then keep letting him do them.  If they are truly bad checks, then tell him why they are bad checks and try to get him to understand why.  By not giving him an opportunity to check on certain plays, you're handcuffing him and treating him with kid gloves.

One of these years.............

If he did have a better run game i think that would lift some pressure off him but i do love seeing him do his thing, mistakes and all.

The coaches obviously are going to bench Toby Gerhart and give the other running backs more playing time if they want to tell Bortles, "Don't audible out of a running play."

Quote:I agree that it should be something that is coached.  If he sees a bad setup for a running play (i.e. 8+ in the box), why not let him audible out.  Goodness knows we've seen what happens when we don't audible out.  If they don't like how often he's audibling just because it skews the balance, then I see a problem with that.  If they are smart checks, then keep letting him do them.  If they are truly bad checks, then tell him why they are bad checks and try to get him to understand why.  By not giving him an opportunity to check on certain plays, you're handcuffing him and treating him with kid gloves.

That's not at all what they said they would do. "Encourage" was the word used.  They aren't handcuffing anyone. 

Quote:That's not at all what they said they would do. "Encourage" was the word used.  They aren't handcuffing anyone. 

They should "encourage" him to make the right call.  If it's right to check the play, then let him check the play.  If it's not right, explain it to him after the fact and make sure he doesn't do that again.

Quote:I agree that it should be something that is coached.  If he sees a bad setup for a running play (i.e. 8+ in the box), why not let him audible out.  Goodness knows we've seen what happens when we don't audible out.  If they don't like how often he's audibling just because it skews the balance, then I see a problem with that.  If they are smart checks, then keep letting him do them.  If they are truly bad checks, then tell him why they are bad checks and try to get him to understand why.  By not giving him an opportunity to check on certain plays, you're handcuffing him and treating him with kid gloves.

Coaches probably want to see him audible out of a running play in that situation, but are seeing him call audibles when they are not necessary.

Quote:They should "encourage" him to make the right call.  If it's right to check the play, then let him check the play.  If it's not right, explain it to him after the fact and make sure he doesn't do that again.
LOL.  He and the coaches both said he should not have changed the play that resulted in the pick 6.  How do you not get this?  Bortles is admitting to getting it wrong and they are trying to help him get it right. You're trying to create an issue that doesn't exist. 

Quote:LOL.  He and the coaches both said he should not have changed the play that resulted in the pick 6.  How do you not get this?  Bortles is admitting to getting it wrong and they are trying to help him get it right. You're trying to create an issue that doesn't exist. 

Did Bortles know as soon as the play was over what his mistake was or did hew have to hear it from a coach on the sideline?

My issue is that they are saying they are going to send him out of the huddle and "encourage" him not to check the play.  Translation: Don't check out of this play.

This has nothing to do with Bortles admitting he shouldn't have checked out of the play.  He should be encouraged to make the right read, whatever it is.  Check a run to a pass, check a pass to a run, or don't check at all. 

Quote:Did Bortles know as soon as the play was over what his mistake was or did hew have to hear it from a coach on the sideline?
Judging from the result - he knew at least one thing he did wrong.  It might have taken watching the film to understand that changing the play was the wrong move.  (In other words more than just a bad read and throw)

Quote:My issue is that they are saying they are going to send him out of the huddle and "encourage" him not to check the play.  Translation: Don't check out of this play.

This has nothing to do with Bortles admitting he shouldn't have checked out of the play.  He should be encouraged to make the right read, whatever it is.  Check a run to a pass, check a pass to a run, or don't check at all. 

How do you know Jedd Fisch vis saying that before they get to the LOS? I can't believe he would say that when they are in a huddle.

Quote:How do you know Jedd Fisch vis saying that before they get to the LOS? I can't believe he would say that when they are in a huddle.

Pretty sure the communication is cut off at the line of scrimage.

Quote:My issue is that they are saying they are going to send him out of the huddle and "encourage" him not to check the play.  Translation: Don't check out of this play.

You're reading way to far in to this and applying conditions that likely don't exist.  

First of all - Bradley praised Bortles ability to check out of plays and said he got 5 of them right.  He also said there were "two or three run plays" (paraphrased from memory) that they might encourage him not to check out of.  You don't really believe that they'd sit him down in a meeting room and say "if we call one of these 3 plays, don't check out no matter what" do you??   No way in hell they'd do that. They'll define what defensive looks demand checking out and try to make sure he doesn't do it unnecessarily. 

Quote:Pretty sure the communication is cut off at the line of scrimage.

If that is true how do teams run no-huddle offenses?