Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Which is the worst Jaguars draft blunder of all time?
Trading up for Derrick Harvey a.k.a. Raphael in 2008.
Beating the clots at the end of the 2011 season and handing them Andrew Luck in the draft.
Trading up for Justin Blackmon in 2012, meanwhile Tannehill and Kuechley are taken a few picks later.
Trading up for Gabbert in 2011, J.J. Watt is then taken by the tinhorns with the pick right after Gabbert.
Taking a Punter in the 3rd round of the 2012 draft, meanwhile Russell Wilson is picked 5 picks later.
Taking college QB Matt Jones in the 1st round in 2005 and making him a WR a position he has not previously played. Oh yeah and Aaron Rodgers is taken 3 picks later.
Taking R. Jay Soward in the 1st round of the 2000 draft.
corn
Blank #2
Taking Reggie Williams 9th overall in 2004, Roethlisberger goes 11th.
[Show Results]

Worst draft related blunder in Jaguars history?

After watching the Indy-Denver game, I think my vote for Beating the clots in 2012 was correct.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Darren Sproles is better than Pearman; HOWEVER, he's not an every down back.  He's a speedster who rarely breaks off big plays.

And we ended up with MJD the next season. Just something I noticed while looking at the 2005 draft (weak draft). Biggest blunder? No, but Sproles has been pretty impact full everywhere he has been.
No commercial messages in sigs

Quote:Maybe true, but the impact on the team was minimal.  It's likely the player he would have picked instead of Anger wouldn't be on the team right now.  

There is no way for you to know that. And regardless, you dont pick a punter in the 3rd round. Period. SInce you want to put it that way. How many Pro bowls has Anger been to? He was drafted in the 3rd round, he should be in every probowl (I know we are in a small market). 

If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

The thing about Anger is -- he's not even that great of a punter.  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:The thing about Anger is -- he's not even that great of a punter.  

But the sound of the ball coming off his foot was the most impressive of any punter in NFL history. Think of The Sound!

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

This is where the main problem lies. If the dude was pinning guys behind the 5 every time and doing some type of cocky shimmy after the ball left his foot, it would be a different story.

He's a weapon!

Just think, if we didn't have him, who else would punt it 8 times a game!

One of these years.............

^true story

Quote:This is where the main problem lies. If the dude was pinning guys behind the 5 every time and doing some type of cocky shimmy after the ball left his foot, it would be a different story.
True

Quote:He's a weapon!

Just think, if we didn't have him, who else would punt it 8 times a game!

Funny thing is, thats why GS said he drafted him. 

#iamlegend

Trading up for Gabbert is my pick. Washington, who badly needed a QB trading back with us was a huge red flag.

R Jay hurts because of where the team was at.  Another gun receiver would have given us a shot.

R.I.P. Stroudcrowd1

Banger will be one of Gene's best picks

You can easily make 2008 and the trade up for Harvey and Groves the worst class for this team. However, you could also argue I believe with the 2005 draftclass. Not a single player on that team is still here or lasted more than three or four years here in Jacksonville I think. With little to no production. Can't remember if it was that year or not. I just know it was ugly.

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

I picked the Harvey move...

But the more I think about it.... drafting a punter in the 3rd round has got to be the most boneheaded thing ever...

Quote:I picked the Harvey move...

But the more I think about it.... drafting a punter in the 3rd round has got to be the most boneheaded thing ever...

Thats exactly how I was thinking. Dang Harvey was bad but a punter in the 3rd round? A punter? I'm not even looking at hindsight and the other picks that were taken. I'm just looking at a punter in the 3rd round. What better way for your GM to say; "hey, im screwing you guys and management doesnt care", than with a punter in the third round?

#iamlegend

Gabbert.

I couldnt believe we traded up for him. I felt physically ill.

(This post was last modified: 01-17-2015, 08:00 PM by Joe.)

"Letting" the colts have Luck wouldnt be nearly as noticed if we had taken Wilson/Foles over a friggin punter.

If tanking a game for a player is real, wouldn't the colts just of tried to tank harder? It would of seriously been an insult to the game of both teams were just trying to lose.

Quote:"Letting" the colts have Luck wouldnt be nearly as noticed if we had taken Wilson/Foles over a friggin punter.

If tanking a game for a player is real, wouldn't the colts just of tried to tank harder? It would of seriously been an insult to the game of both teams were just trying to lose.

All of this. Also, what if the clots traded down and got the same deal the rams got and took Wilson.

I had to pick Harvey.  There was a decent foundation in place, but the team started trying to force things and reached for Harvey and then, to help the pass rush more, Groves.  i remember I was buying a car on draft day and was sitting in the waiting room for loan papers to be drawn up watching the draft.  I figured we would be home hours before the Jags picked.  Then TRADE TRADE TRADE flashed and the Jags were on the clock.  I remember being floored.  

“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

Quote:"Letting" the colts have Luck wouldnt be nearly as noticed if we had taken Wilson/Foles over a friggin punter.

The players don't tank. Tanking occurs when the coaching staff, possibly under direction of the GM, plays 2nd and 3rd string players "to evaluate them for next year." The clots were playing backups while the Jags were still playing starters.

I thought the Jags had a real nice draft last year. I seem to recall few of your late round selections were contributors. Another draft or so like that and things will turn around for you.