Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Which is the worst Jaguars draft blunder of all time?
Trading up for Derrick Harvey a.k.a. Raphael in 2008.
Beating the clots at the end of the 2011 season and handing them Andrew Luck in the draft.
Trading up for Justin Blackmon in 2012, meanwhile Tannehill and Kuechley are taken a few picks later.
Trading up for Gabbert in 2011, J.J. Watt is then taken by the tinhorns with the pick right after Gabbert.
Taking a Punter in the 3rd round of the 2012 draft, meanwhile Russell Wilson is picked 5 picks later.
Taking college QB Matt Jones in the 1st round in 2005 and making him a WR a position he has not previously played. Oh yeah and Aaron Rodgers is taken 3 picks later.
Taking R. Jay Soward in the 1st round of the 2000 draft.
corn
Blank #2
Taking Reggie Williams 9th overall in 2004, Roethlisberger goes 11th.
[Show Results]

Worst draft related blunder in Jaguars history?

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2014, 10:42 PM by Jaguarmeister.)

I know we've talked about all of these over the years and the Jaguars have had more than their share of doozies.  I'm sure I missed a few, but I do believe this is a good representation of the worst.  Which one is the worst for you?  

For me, any trade up and miss scenario is going to be near the top of the list because of the additional damage trading up does.  (Have we ever traded up and nailed it?) With that said, the trading up for Gabbert and missing out on MVP candidate and future HOFer J. J. Watt is the worst in my opinion.  For a long time I thought it was the trade up for Derrick Harvey and that one was really bad as well, but as bad as Gabbert was on his own it's being made even worse with how good J.J. Watt is and exacerbated further by him being in our division.  

Trading up for Blackmon with a decent QB in Tannehill and stud MLB in Kuechley still sitting there was pretty bad as well and they would have still been sitting there had we not traded up.  Bleh.

The Matt Jones pick was terrible too with Aaron Rodgers still sitting there, but I can understand not going after Rodgers having just drafted Leftwich and thinking he was the guy at the time.  I can't give a pass for taking a project WR in the 1st round though.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I love Anger, but that pick alone basically summarized how far Gene Smith set this team back.

Matt Jones wins this one for me.

I think I am going to hibernate until free agency starts

;

;

There are 2 votes for me:

The hindsight vote, Matt Jones/Rodgers wins by a landslide. it isn't even negotiable.

An "at the time" vote, it was beating Indy to give them Andrew Luck.

Just to eliminate some of those:

I don't think beating the Colts was a blunder.  They were tanking and we weren't going to tank too.

Trading up for Blackmon was fine.  We had a big need at WR and the dude was a great prospect.  Hard to pass that up.

That being said... With hindsight being 20/20, I think the punter being drafted probably is the killer here, especially considering Wilson was there.  I'd say #2 is Gabbert because all he had was measurables, his college career was pretty mediocre.  He crumbled under pressure then too.  Zero reason why he should have gotten drafted in the first round, let alone us trading up to get him and passing on Watt.

Quote:Just to eliminate some of those:

I don't think beating the Colts was a blunder.  They were tanking and we weren't going to tank too.

Trading up for Blackmon was fine.  We had a big need at WR and the dude was a great prospect.  Hard to pass that up.

That being said... With hindsight being 20/20, I think the punter being drafted probably is the killer here, especially considering Wilson was there.  I'd say #2 is Gabbert because all he had was measurables, his college career was pretty mediocre.  He crumbled under pressure then too.  Zero reason why he should have gotten drafted in the first round, let alone us trading up to get him and passing on Watt.

So, with hindsight being 20/20, the Matt Jones/Aaron Rodgers vote doesn't even get mentioned??????????????????????????????

Wow ... no wonder we're setting records consistent with "all time worst teams" over the course of 3-5 year periods in NFL History.

This team has made so many horrendous blunders in the draft that limiting our votes to just one option portrays a false impression.

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

This is why I laugh when posters insult fans that they aren't capable of making football decisions. Had this franchise just drafted "by the book" or by amateur mock drafts instead of taking small school guys high, we wouldn't be in this mess.

RJ Soward hands down. Matt Jones looked like a probowler next to Soward. Its not even close for the others yall probably just too young to remember it.

Feels like if I choose one I'll be wrong. This team can't find a gm to save its life.

Quote:So, with hindsight being 20/20, the Matt Jones/Aaron Rodgers vote doesn't even get mentioned??????????????????????????????
It was pretty bad too as was Harvey.  I just think the other two are slightly worse.

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2014, 04:34 PM by SpeedyG.)

Quote:This is why I laugh when posters insult fans that they aren't capable of making football decisions. Had this franchise just drafted "by the book" or by amateur mock drafts instead of taking small school guys high, we wouldn't be in this mess.

I know right. Really need to avoid taking a player from UCF in the top 10 next time.

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2014, 04:37 PM by muddylips.)

Quote:Feels like if I choose one I'll be wrong. This team can't find a gm to save its life.
Awww, that seems a little harsh on Dave. Some of his picks haven't worked out (no surprise) but as far as I know none of his picks have been epic to the degree of matt jones, brian anger, blain gab (he who shall not be named) or r j soward. Actually,  there's nothing bad about anger as a punter as such; it's just the bone head move of taking him in the third round... instead of wilson. That was an indictment of just how bad Gene Smith was as GM. Oh well...

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

Quote:I know right. Really need to avoid taking a player from UCF in the top 10 next time.

It's ok to do it every now and then if you have really done your research, but to think you are outsmarting everybody by doing it religiously like Gene Smith. It puts us where we are now.

Quote:So, with hindsight being 20/20, the Matt Jones/Aaron Rodgers vote doesn't even get mentioned??????????????????????????????
I dont think that was as agregis as Leftwich/Big Ben Debacle

Gabbert over Watt

This is tough. Soward was a bust of epic proportions, but he is a late 1st rounder. And looking back, I can't say there was a guy taken after him that I would say "shoulda taken him" for sure. I think, at this point...its gotta be Blaine just due to how epically bad he was.

Quote:It's ok to do it every now and then if you have really done your research, but to think you are outsmarting everybody by doing it religiously like Gene Smith. It puts us where we are now.

You said not to take small school players high. FACT: Virginia, Cal, and Mizzou are not small schools.