Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
MM vs BB

(This post was last modified: 12-06-2015, 07:45 PM by jtmoney.)

Titan fans should be excited by their QB and Jags fans are extremely excited by Blake.  He has broken the TD record in just his 12th game by 4 TD's in only his 2nd year at 23 years old and is right on track to have a chance to break Mark Brunell's all time passing record.  He finally had a game with 0 int's.  I mean, it is hard to complain about him this year other than his INT's at awful times.  

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 12-06-2015, 07:47 PM by Vicbow Rules.)

Mariota is having himself a nice season and might turn out to be a great pick by Tenn.  As of right now, the only thing we can all do is wait until next year.  Nothing else this year really matters, he has done what he can do.  Once teams have a year of film and Tenn has another draft to surround him with talent we will see if he is a one hit wonder.  What I mean is, next year teams will know how to game plan for him AND it is the year 2 young players are supposed to show their biggest growth.  If he continues to thrive next year, we can legitimately say he is going to be a good player (a la Carr, Bortles etc.) but if there is a weakness in his game, other teams will be exploiting it next year (a la RGIII and Kaepernick).

Should be interesting.

“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

Quote:Mariota is having himself a nice season and might turn out to be a great pick by Tenn.  As of right now, the only thing we can all do is wait until next year.  Nothing else this year really matters, he has done what he can do.  Once teams have a year of film and Tenn has another draft to surround him with talent we will see if he is a one hit wonder.  What I mean is, next year teams will know how to game plan for him AND it is the year 2 young players are supposed to show their biggest growth.  If he continues to thrive next year, we can legitimately say he is going to be a good player (a la Carr, Bortles etc.) but if there is a weakness in his game, other teams will be exploiting it next year (a la RGIII).

Should be interesting.

I get the feeling teams will start making him throw down the field and outside of the numbers, something the Jaguars never did today in spite of it clearly being the thing he most wants to avoid.

Quote:Bortles is more experienced and has better playmakers, but it's close. Mariota has better throwing mechanics and has a higher football iq. Bortles might have a slight edge now insofar as he has significantly more experience, but the ceiling for Mariota is much higher as a complete dual threat qb.

You can't be serious. Do you remember the last quarterback who was supposed to be a great dual threat? Oh yeah he's benched for Gabbert.

Mariota, if he's gonna succeed, is going to have to become a pocket passer. He's not going to get an 87 yard TD run against a scrub defense every game. Bortles threw 5 TDs today. He's going to throw over 30 this year possibly. Right he is not slightly better he's definitely better. Mariota obviously like I said is just getting started.

Quote:I get the feeling teams will start making him throw down the field and outside of the numbers, something the Jaguars never did today in spite of it clearly being the thing he most wants to avoid.

Yea, I want to see him consistently hit that deep out throw that is the killer of so many QBs.  Well, I should say I want to see him throw it.  I haven't yet, but admittedly have only seen him play 3x I think.

“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

Quote:Congratulations, Mario is good in the redzone and has a nice completion rating. Too bad he'll be in the cellar for years with that non existent talent he has around him...

I'm just stating facts my friend. He isn't the 2nd coming of Jesus like you're making him out to be. Bortles is and will continue to be a better QB due to the players he is surrounded by for a long, long time. You're overreacting after watching him abuse the worst defense in Jaguars history. Hasselbeck, Crab Legs, Hoyer, EJ Manuel, and Fitzpatrick did the same thing.

At least you aren't delusional and realize that a large part of Bortles' success is due to his playmakers. I'm not basing the evaluation off of one game, I'm basing it off the fact that Mariota is having one of the best rookie seasons in NFL history behind one of the leagues worst offensive lines with a terrible/inexperienced supporting cast. For the entire season he has a higher completion %, a higher YPA, a better TD%, a lower INT%, a higher QBR, QB rating, and is the NFL's best QB in the redzone.

Mariota also has much better throwing mechanics and footwork, his football IQ is much higher (decision making, pocket presence, situation awareness), and is on another level athletically.

Quote:https://twitter.com/Tdickman89/status/67...0522454016

Citing a cherry picked stat does not help your argument, Winston is younger and had a 5 TD game too.

Quote:You can't be serious. Do you remember the last quarterback who was supposed to be a great dual threat? Oh yeah he's benched for Gabbert.

Mariota, if he's gonna succeed, is going to have to become a pocket passer. He's not going to get an 87 yard TD run against a scrub defense every game. Bortles threw 5 TDs today. He's going to throw over 30 this year possibly. Right he is not slightly better he's definitely better. Mariota obviously like I said is just getting started.

I don't know what to tell you if you think Mariota is anything like Kapernick. Way to trot out the sorry predraft rhetoric that has been proven as obviously false. Mariota has 4 TDs in half a game, and has multiple games with 3+ TDs, one performance does not make a career. Welcome to the present NFL where passing numbers are inflated.

Quote:At least you aren't delusional and realize that a large part of Bortles' success is due to his playmakers. I'm not basing the evaluation off of one game, I'm basing it off the fact that Mariota is having one of the best rookie seasons in NFL history behind one of the leagues worst offensive lines with a terrible/inexperienced supporting cast. For the entire season he has a higher completion %, a higher YPA, a better TD%, a lower INT%, a higher QBR, QB rating, and is the NFL's best QB in the redzone.

Mariota also has much better throwing mechanics and footwork, his football IQ is much higher (decision making, pocket presence, situation awareness), and is on another level athletically.

Citing a cherry picked stat does not help your argument, Winston is younger and had a 5 TD game too.

I don't know what to tell you if you think Mariota is anything like Kapernick. Way to trot out the sorry predraft rhetoric that has been proven as obviously false. Mariota has 4 TDs in half a game, and has multiple games with 3+ TDs, one performance does not make a career. Welcome to the present NFL where passing numbers are inflated.

I wasn't cherry picking anything, just posted a twitter comment.

I think you're wrong about mariota, but we'll find out over time.

Quote:I wasn't cherry picking anything, just posted a twitter comment.

I think you're wrong about mariota, but we'll find out over time.

It's cherry picked because it has an extraneous qualifier that does nothing to add to the weight of the statistic. the 320 yards aren't the impressive component, the 5 TDs are. I could be wrong, and Bortles could end up better. But all good reason and evidence is on my side.

Quote:At least you aren't delusional and realize that a large part of Bortles' success is due to his playmakers. I'm not basing the evaluation off of one game, I'm basing it off the fact that Mariota is having one of the best rookie seasons in NFL history behind one of the leagues worst offensive lines with a terrible/inexperienced supporting cast. For the entire season he has a higher completion %, a higher YPA, a better TD%, a lower INT%, a higher QBR, QB rating, and is the NFL's best QB in the redzone.

Mariota also has much better throwing mechanics and footwork, his football IQ is much higher (decision making, pocket presence, situation awareness), and is on another level athletically.

They're similar skill set, run a similar offense, and Kaepernick had two successful seasons and even a Super Bowl performance of merit and tail spinned. Why? Because eventually he couldn't run amok like he wanted. Defenses adjust. Coaches adjust. Even the packers eventually figured him out. Kaepernick also had multiple 3 TD games and 60+ completion percentage in seasons as well. You're getting your panties in a wad when I didn't even declare Mariota busting for sure; I just stated that Mariota will have to adjust his game to avoid a similar fate. Get over yourself

Quote:They're similar skill set, run a similar offense, and Kaepernick had two successful seasons and even a Super Bowl performance of merit and tail spinned. Why? Because eventually he couldn't run amok like he wanted. Defenses adjust. Coaches adjust. Even the packers eventually figured him out. Kaepernick also had multiple 3 TD games and 60+ completion percentage in seasons as well. You're getting your panties in a wad when I didn't even declare Mariota busting for sure; I just stated that Mariota will have to adjust his game to avoid a similar fate. Get over yourself

The thing is, Mariota has done most of his damage from the pocket. He hasn't really run all that much. That facial he shot on the Jags D was not what he's been doing all year.
We learned in the Sunday School who made the sun shine through.  I know who made the moonshine too, back where I come from.

Quote:They're similar skill set, run a similar offense, and Kaepernick had two successful seasons and even a Super Bowl performance of merit and tail spinned. Why? Because eventually he couldn't run amok like he wanted. Defenses adjust. Coaches adjust. Even the packers eventually figured him out. Kaepernick also had multiple 3 TD games and 60+ completion percentage in seasons as well. You're getting your panties in a wad when I didn't even declare Mariota busting for sure; I just stated that Mariota will have to adjust his game to avoid a similar fate. Get over yourself

They aren't anything a like though, and Mariota's play all season has proven that. Over 90% of Mariota's attempts have been from the pocket, and has hardly used the read option the way Kaep did for so long. Other than being great athletes that played in spread offenses in college, their playstyle in the NFL really hasn't been very similar at all. I'm not mad, just pointing out that you obviously haven't watched him play for more than a game or two (probably only the Jags' games and highlights)

Quote:You can't be serious. Do you remember the last quarterback who was supposed to be a great dual threat? Oh yeah he's benched for Gabbert.

Blake WILL throw for 30 TDs or more this year. As of today, he's passed Carr in TDs (27 to 26).

Quote:It's cherry picked because it has an extraneous qualifier that does nothing to add to the weight of the statistic. the 320 yards aren't the impressive component, the 5 TDs are. I could be wrong, and Bortles could end up better. But all good reason and evidence is on my side.

It's all impressive. If the stat had been "youngest QB to throw for 4 TDs while not managing to eclipse 180 yards" it would also be a meaningful part of the stat, because it says that the passing TDs, while a good stat, aren't the result of the QB driving his team repeatedly down the field, while Bortles stats do indicate that the 5 TDs were the result of him driving his team repeatedly down the field.

Quote:The thing is, Mariota has done most of his damage from the pocket. He hasn't really run all that much. That facial he shot on the Jags D was not what he's been doing all year.

Touché on the shot at the Jags D.

From what I've watched of him, Mariota can definitely do damage from the pocket. He also likes to go outside the pocket too. In order to succeed long term I believe he will need to become a strong pocket passer. I'm not saying he will or won't. I'm making an observation, and Baconator is getting riled up. He's a troll.

You on the other hand I can talk to; I have seen your posts and they by far more reasonable

(This post was last modified: 12-06-2015, 08:21 PM by SamusAranX.)

Quote:They aren't anything a like though, and Mariota's play all season has proven that. Over 90% of Mariota's attempts have been from the pocket, and has hardly used the read option the way Kaep did for so long. Other than being great athletes that played in spread offenses in college, their playstyle in the NFL really hasn't been very similar at all. I'm not mad, just pointing out that you obviously haven't watched him play for more than a game or two (probably only the Jags' games and highlights)

I just presented fair statements that they are alike and you do a magical hand wave and ignore it. And I've watched him in other games.

Quote:It's all impressive. If the stat had been "youngest QB to throw for 4 TDs while not managing to eclipse 180 yards" it would also be a meaningful part of the stat, because it says that the passing TDs, while a good stat, aren't the result of the QB driving his team repeatedly down the field, while Bortles stats do indicate that the 5 TDs were the result of him driving his team repeatedly down the field.

Before Yeldons 70 screen Bortles had under 250 yards on twice the attempts Mariota had in his 4 TD half, give me a break. But since you love stats off twitter, how about these:

Mariota is now tied with Manning for most 3+ TD games a rookie and is also the only QB in NFL history with over 250+ yards 3+TDs, 100+ yards rushing 1+TD.

https://twitter.com/jwyattsports?lang=en

Quote:Touché on the shot at the Jags D.

From what I've watched of him, Mariota can definitely do damage from the pocket. He also likes to go outside the pocket too. In order to succeed long term I believe he will need to become a strong pocket passer. I'm not saying he will or won't. I'm making an observation, and Baconator is getting riled up. He's a troll.

You on the other hand I can talk to; I have seen your posts and they by far more reasonable

You must have missed the point about over 90% of Mariota's passes have been from the pocket. Don't be upset because I force you to challenge your delusional reality.

http://espn.go.com/blog/tennessee-titans...riota-more

Quote:Before Yeldons 70 screen Bortles had under 250 yards on twice the attempts Mariota had in his 4 TD half, give me a break. But since you love stats off twitter, how about these:

Mariota is now tied with Manning for most 3+ TD games a rookie and is also the only QB in NFL history with over 250+ yards 3+TDs, 100+ yards rushing 1+TD.

https://twitter.com/jwyattsports?lang=en

You must have missed the point about over 90% of Mariota's passes have been from the pocket. Don't be upset because I force you to challenge your delusional reality.

http://espn.go.com/blog/tennessee-titans...riota-more

That's great for Mariota. I wish Bortles could get to pump up his stats against this Jaguars defense, too.

Quote:Before Yeldons 70 screen Bortles had under 250 yards on twice the attempts Mariota had in his 4 TD half, give me a break. But since you love stats off twitter, how about these:

<a class="bbc_url" href='https://twitter.com/jwyattsports?lang=en'>https://twitter.com/jwyattsports?lang=en</a>

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://espn.go.com/blog/tennessee-titans/post/_/id/17125/why-dont-the-titans-rollout-marcus-mariota-more'>http://espn.go.com/blog/tennessee-titans/post/_/id/17125/why-dont-the-titans-rollout-marcus-mariota-more</a>

Actually the article says that 7 percent of his attempts have come outside, but he has a high completion percentage outside the pocket. Two different stats that can be used to tell two different stories? What does it show? Oh yes what I've been saying. That he can throw outside the pocket as well and does do that. And my statement? That number will dwindle as his career continues if he wants to succeed. That's all I said. You continue to insist I think he can't pass in the pocket. All I said was he will need to refine his game. Again, you're taking issue with nothing

Quote:Actually the article says that 7 percent of his attempts have come outside, but he has a high completion percentage outside the pocket. Two different stats that can be used to tell two different stories? What does it show? Oh yes what I've been saying. That he can throw outside the pocket as well and does do that. And my statement? That number will dwindle as his career continues if he wants to succeed. That's all I said. You continue to insist I think he can't pass in the pocket. All I said was he will need to refine his game. Again, you're taking issue with nothing

I think the beef is the comparison to Kaep. Not really similar playing styles at all.
We learned in the Sunday School who made the sun shine through.  I know who made the moonshine too, back where I come from.