Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
MM vs BB

Quote:Is there any Jags fan on this board who trade Bortles for Mariota?

This is outright laughable. Of course not.

That is, unless Glock.... nah, I can't even imagine him doing as much.

'02

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Damn baconator killed yall
but not really

Passing TDs / Game
  • MM: 1.6
  • BB: 2.2
Bortles wins this one with more than a half a TD more a game- a significant difference to be sure.

Turnovers / Game
  • MM: 1.3
  • BB: 1.4
Mariota wins here by committing one tenth of a turnover less per game. You would think with all of the rhetoric about Bortles INTs, the Tack fanboys might have noticed their own QB turning the ball over as well. Interesting. Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

Passing Yards / Game
  • MM: 234
  • BB: 276
Bortles crushes Mariota here as well. More than 40 yards per game.

20+ Yard Plays / Game
  • MM: 3.3
  • BB: 4.5
Bortles is the far more explosive at the position, completing more than 25% more explosive pass plays per game. 

Rush Yards / Game
  • MM: 21
  • BB: 19.4
Mariota has Bortles beat here by a slim margin, 1.6 yards more rushing per game, and that is including his 90 yard run Vs the Jaguars. Considering this is suppose to be his strong suit, really not that impressive a difference.

Rush TDs / Game
  • MM: .17
  • BB: .13
Same amount of TDs rushed for less year, but considering Mariota was broken for 25% of the games less season, his rush TDs / game is higher.

% Games Started
  • MM: 75%
  • BB: 100%
Blake was consistent, playing every offensive snap for the Jaguars last year. The same cannot be said for Marcia...err...Marcus Mariota. The frail lil' guy just could not hold up to the rigors of playing in the NFL. Will most-likely be a theme throughout his career.

Quote:Passing TDs / Game
Bortles wins this one with more than a half a TD more a game- a significant difference to be sure.

Turnovers / Game
Mariota wins here by committing one tenth of a turnover less per game. You would think with all of the rhetoric about Bortles INTs, the Tack fanboys might have noticed their own QB turning the ball over as well. Interesting. Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

Passing Yards / Game

20+ Yard Plays / Game
Bortles is the far more explosive at the position, completing more than 25% more explosive pass plays per game. 

Rush Yards / Game
Mariota has Bortles beat here by a slim margin, 1.6 yards more rushing per game, and that is including his 90 yard run Vs the Jaguars. Considering this is suppose to be his strong suit, really not that impressive a difference.

Rush TDs / Game
Same amount of TDs rushed for less last year, but considering Mariota was broken for 25% of the games less season, his rush TDs / game is higher.

% Games Started
Blake was consistent, playing every offensive snap for the Jaguars last year. The same cannot be said for Marcia...err...Marcus Mariota. The frail lil' guy just could not hold up to the rigors of playing in the NFL. Will most-likely be a theme throughout his career.

Some more...

fumbles (fumbles lost) per game

• MM: .833 (.500)

• BB: .875 (.313)

So while Mariota is fumbling slightly less overall, he's losing significantly more of them. It's the actual turnovers that hurt; not the fumbles.

completions per game

• MM: 19.2

• BB: 22.2

40+ yard completions per game

• MM:

• BB:

passing first downs per game

• MM: 11.8

• BB: 13.4

rushing first downs per game

• MM:

• BB:

'02

Quote:I see the HUGE difference there. That is, Bortles had 1 INT that wasn't his fault (the same goes for Roethlisberger and Palmer) compared to Mariota who had a whopping 4 INTs that weren't his fault.

I also see that Ryan Tannehill leads the league with 8 INTs that weren't his fault. Man, he must be the best qb in the league, right?

That's not at all what the statistic is trying to show. It's not about being the 'best' it's evaluating how many of INTs were the result of a bad read/thrown vs. a mistake on the receiver.

Quote:ignore the analysis cause the website doesnt look expensive enough lol

Cian is one of the best QB analysts out.

He writes for football outsiders. I think their statistical analysis is legit.

Quote:Passing TDs / Game

Turnovers / Game

Passing Yards / Game

20+ Yard Plays / Game

Rush Yards / Game

Rush TDs / Game
Same amount of TDs rushed for less year, but considering Mariota was broken for 25% of the games less season, his rush TDs / game is higher.

% Games Started

You've just thrown out numbers, ones that you haven't even articulated as making a solid point. You're not even looking at stats that correlate to efficiency.

Quote:That's not at all what the statistic is trying to show. It's not about being the 'best' it's evaluating how many of INTs were the result of a bad read/thrown vs. a mistake on the receiver.

He writes for football outsiders. I think their statistical analysis is legit.

You've just thrown out numbers, ones that you haven't even articulated as making a solid point. You're not even looking at stats that correlate to efficiency.

Sorry. I didn't think I had to hold your hand while you figured out why more TDs per game was important. 

Perhaps football isn't really your thing...?

Quote:Sorry. I didn't think I had to hold your hand while you figured out why more TDs per game was important. 

Perhaps football isn't really your thing...?

You ignore metrics like YPA, DVOA, completion %, TD/INT ratio, INT%, red zone rating, QBR, all the while ignoring the context in which they were all generated (rookie QB with worse receiving group, worse offensive line, and a head coaching change mid-year compared to a 2nd year player with probowl caliber receivers) in favor of statistics like % of games played, rush yards/game, etc. Why should anyone take your analysis seriously? To even call it 'analysis' is a stretch because you cannot even articulate your position into a coherent argument.

Quote:(rookie QB with worse receiving group, worse offensive line, and a head coaching change mid-year compared to a 2nd year player with probowl caliber receivers) 

Your excuse / player % metric is off the charts!!

Quote:Your excuse / player % metric is off the charts!!

How can it be an excuse when Mariota outperformed Bortles by the metrics I mentioned? You're missing the point of contextualizing the statistics. The point I'm making is that Mariota has more potential and is on a better career trajectory for long-term success because he is better at the various things long-term cornerstone QBs stake their success on. The fact that he is already better at a lot of these things compared to Bortles, despite being in just his rookie year, and able to demonstrate such proficiency with a far worse supporting cast only supports my position.

Quote:How can it be an excuse when Mariota outperformed Bortles by the metrics I mentioned? You're missing the point of contextualizing the statistics. The point I'm making is that Mariota has more potential and is on a better career trajectory for long-term success because he is better at the various things long-term cornerstone QBs stake their success on. The fact that he is already better at a lot of these things compared to Bortles, despite being in just his rookie year, and able to demonstrate such proficiency with a far worse supporting cast only supports my position.

Is he? Looking at it without a fan's bias mariota looks like a young alex smith. If you can build an elite team around him you're set for plenty of wildcard slots and early playoff exits. Congrats!

Quote:How can it be an excuse when Mariota outperformed Bortles by the metrics I mentioned? You're missing the point of contextualizing the statistics. The point I'm making is that Mariota has more potential and is on a better career trajectory for long-term success because he is better at the various things long-term cornerstone QBs stake their success on. The fact that he is already better at a lot of these things compared to Bortles, despite being in just his rookie year, and able to demonstrate such proficiency with a far worse supporting cast only supports my position.

Mariota is seriously improving the career trajectory for his training staff. Team doctors are going to be busy trying to keep he and his girlish frame upright. 

(This post was last modified: 04-08-2016, 06:12 PM by Baconator.)

Quote:Is he? Looking at it without a fan's bias mariota looks like a young alex smith. If you can build an elite team around him you're set for plenty of wildcard slots and early playoff exits. Congrats!

I don't see the comparison, could you elaborate? Let's compare rookie years of Mariota, Smith, Bortles:

Smith: 9 games 875 yards 50.9% 5.3 YPA 1TD/11 INT .6 TD%/6.0 INT%

Bortles: 14 games 2,908 yards 58.9% 6.1 YPA 11 TD/17 INT 2.3 TD%/3.6 INT% 

Mariota: 12 games 2,818 yards 62.2% 7.6 YPA 19 TD/10 INT 5.1 TD%/ 2.7 INT% 

Not hard to see who was the best rookie of the bunch, and it wasn't even close.

Quote:Mariota is seriously improving the career trajectory for his training staff. Team doctors are going to be busy trying to keep he and his girlish frame upright. 

I'll take this as you conceding the point.

Quote:I don't see the comparison, could you elaborate? Let's compare rookie years of Mariota, Smith, Bortles:

I couldn't tell- did you have a point?

Quote:I couldn't tell- did you have a point?

Yeah, but I cannot impart reading comprehension unto you.

Quote:I don't see the comparison, could you elaborate? Let's compare rookie years of Mariota, Smith, Bortles:

The comparison is in the way they play the game, not in their stats. Maybe you're too young to actually remember Alex Smith early in his career, but they're like the same guy. Afraid to throw down the field, supposedly very accurate winners coming out of college.

It's in both the Jaguars and Titans' interest that both Bortles and Mariota blossom into star QBs. An exciting rivalry sells tickets, and I've seen plenty of empty seats for these games in Jax and Nashville.

Quote:It's in both the Jaguars and Titans' interest that both Bortles and Mariota blossom into star QBs. An exciting rivalry sells tickets, and I've seen plenty of empty seats for these games in Jax and Nashville.

The titans empty seats don't really matter either way. They have PSLs, so their fans buy up the tickets anyway just because they're stupid enough to throw good money after bad. It's quite likely the NFL forces them to sell and the team gets moved anyway.

Quote:The comparison is in the way they play the game, not in their stats. Maybe you're too young to actually remember Alex Smith early in his career, but they're like the same guy. Afraid to throw down the field, supposedly very accurate winners coming out of college.

Can you justify this position? How about some evidence for your claims, because there is tremendous evidence otherwise.

Quote:It's in both the Jaguars and Titans' interest that both Bortles and Mariota blossom into star QBs. An exciting rivalry sells tickets, and I've seen plenty of empty seats for these games in Jax and Nashville.

Absolutely, and I think both teams have their QB for the future. I just happen to think that Mariota is better and while have a better career trajectory for the various reasons I've stated, coupled with the breadth of evidence and outside analysis I've provided. It doesn't mean that Bortles is doomed or that he's an awful QB. I don't get why so many people here are so sensitive to that fact and cannot actually address arguments in a rational way.

Quote:Can you justify this position? How about some evidence for your claims, because there is tremendous evidence otherwise.

Evidence of what? That Alex Smith was drafted #1 even though he played in a gimmick offense focused on short passing and running at QB much like Mariota? That Alex Smith is still a short passer much like Mariota has thus far been? I find it hard to believe you haven't come across this evidence yourself already with all of your digging for ways to try to make Mariota look better than Bortles. Maybe you just weren't paying attention.

Quote:Evidence of what? That Alex Smith was drafted #1 even though he played in a gimmick offense focused on short passing and running at QB much like Mariota? That Alex Smith is still a short passer much like Mariota has thus far been? I find it hard to believe you haven't come across this evidence yourself already with all of your digging for ways to try to make Mariota look better than Bortles. Maybe you just weren't paying attention.
 In other words, no. That's alright, I understand you were just being hyperbolic to try and discredit Mariota.