Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
MM vs BB

(This post was last modified: 04-09-2016, 09:41 AM by GlockBortles.)

Quote:It's interesting that you suddenly started talking about arm strength, as it wasn't even something I mentioned in the post. I wouldn't accuse David Garrard of having a weak arm. Feeling a little defensive about mariota's arm strength?

Glock, it's clear that you're not a Jaguars fan, so who are you a fan of? colts fan come to try to rile people up on all sides? titans fan trolling?
I am a jags fan lol, Ive been on this site for a good year now supporting the jags just like everyone else so idk why anyone whos seen me on here would think otherwise.

Calling me a troll because you guys are too emotional to accept someone being unbiased about the other teams in the division is as innaccurate as all of your trash posts.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Pro tip:

When the "other side" refers to you a "neutral" and you think you're "unbiased..."

You just might be wrong.

Instead, for a truly objective take...

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/m...id=2552466

WEAKNESSES
 Benefits from an offense that is predicated on simplified reads. Offense able to create wide-open receivers after busted coverages at times. Needs to improve resetting feet when maneuvering pocket to improve accuracy and power. Tends to "see" pass rush too often. Will drop eyes and look to escape pocket rather than stepping to available pocket space. Frequent trips outside pocket increase opportunity for injury. Pocket feel is very average. Stepped into sacks he had no business taking. Didn't have to throw to tight windows often. Average processor on field. Still learning when to get rid of the ball and move to next play. Slow to make anticipatory throws and can improve patience in allowing combo routes to mature rather than rushing the read. Missed obvious pre-snap blitzes. Drive accuracy needs work. When cutting it loose, ball tends to sail on him a bit. Arm strength is adequate but inconsistent to field side. Needs to bring hips through throws to increase zip into tight windows in NFL. Fumbled 27 times during his career.

Merely adequate DOES NOT equate to "strong" arm strength.

And that doesn't even start to comment on other deficiencies such as missing pre-snap reads, lackluster footwork, unimpressive pocket presence, dropping eyes, accuracy, and on...

How does that stack up against Bortles, one may ask?  Well, here's their "bottom line:"

Marioto:

NFL COMPARISON
 Colin Kaepernick
BOTTOM LINE
 Scheme-based quarterback who will face the same challenges that several quarterbacks before him have faced in terms of learning how to read defenses and go through progressions. The tape was less kind to Mariota than expected, but his size, athleticism and consistency of football character throughout his career are necessary traits in becoming a good-to-great quarterback. Mariota's ability to create outside the pocket will help win games here and there and buy him time as he plies his craft. However, to reach his potential and match the play with the traits, he must develop more poise and feel in the pocket and improve his field vision. Mariota is no lock to be a great NFL quarterback, but his floor is much higher than any of the quarterbacks drafted in 2014.

Bortles:

"It was Blake Bortles the whole time. They believe in this kid. He reminds me a bit of a young Ben Roethlisberger." -- Mike Mayock

BOTTOM LINE
 Possesses ideal size, athletic ability, intangibles and enough arm strength to develop into an upper-echelon quarterback. Is not yet a franchise quarterback, but has all the physical ingredients to become an outstanding NFL starter and his arrow is very clearly ascending. Warrants top-10 consideration.

And that's the bottom line.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Pro tip:

When the "other side" refers to you a "neutral" and you think you're "unbiased..."

You just might be wrong.

Instead, for a truly objective take...

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/marcus-mariota?id=2552466'>http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/marcus-mariota?id=2552466</a>
WEAKNESSES

Benefits from an offense that is predicated on simplified reads. Offense able to create wide-open receivers after busted coverages at times. Needs to improve resetting feet when maneuvering pocket to improve accuracy and power. Tends to "see" pass rush too often. Will drop eyes and look to escape pocket rather than stepping to available pocket space. Frequent trips outside pocket increase opportunity for injury. Pocket feel is very average. Stepped into sacks he had no business taking. Didn't have to throw to tight windows often. Average processor on field. Still learning when to get rid of the ball and move to next play. Slow to make anticipatory throws and can improve patience in allowing combo routes to mature rather than rushing the read. Missed obvious pre-snap blitzes. Drive accuracy needs work. When cutting it loose, ball tends to sail on him a bit. Arm strength is adequate but inconsistent to field side. Needs to bring hips through throws to increase zip into tight windows in NFL. Fumbled 27 times during his career.

Merely adequate DOES NOT equate to "strong" arm strength.

And that doesn't even start to comment on other deficiencies such as missing pre-snap reads, lackluster footwork, unimpressive pocket presence, dropping eyes, accuracy, and on...

How does that stack up against Bortles, one may ask? Well, here's their "bottom line:"

Marioto:

NFL COMPARISON Colin Kaepernick BOTTOM LINE Scheme-based quarterback who will face the same challenges that several quarterbacks before him have faced in terms of learning how to read defenses and go through progressions. The tape was less kind to Mariota than expected, but his size, athleticism and consistency of football character throughout his career are necessary traits in becoming a good-to-great quarterback. Mariota's ability to create outside the pocket will help win games here and there and buy him time as he plies his craft. However, to reach his potential and match the play with the traits, he must develop more poise and feel in the pocket and improve his field vision. Mariota is no lock to be a great NFL quarterback, but his floor is much higher than any of the quarterbacks drafted in 2014.

Bortles:

<span style="background-color:rgb(0,72,130);">"It was Blake Bortles the whole time. They believe in this kid. He reminds me a bit of a young Ben Roethlisberger." -- Mike Mayock
</span>

BOTTOM LINE
<span style="background-color:rgb(237,237,237);"> Possesses ideal size, athletic ability, intangibles and enough arm strength to develop into an upper-echelon quarterback. Is not yet a franchise quarterback, but has all the physical ingredients to become an outstanding NFL starter and his arrow is very clearly ascending. Warrants top-10 consideration.
</span>

And that's the bottom line.
how are you gonna tell me im biased when you just skipped posting the entire section of Blakes weaknesses from the same place you got that bottom line loooool just stop quoting me man you offer nothing of value.

His argument was nfl.com scouting reports im in tears lol

Quote:how are you gonna tell me im biased when you just skipped posting the entire section of Blakes weaknesses from the same place you got that bottom line loooool just stop quoting me man you offer nothing of value.

No, you didn't add anything of value.  You said Mariota had a strong arm.  You were wrong.  Nice try to redirect.  That happens when folks get destroyed again, again.

Quote:No, you didn't add anything of value. You said Mariota had a strong arm. You were wrong. Nice try to redirect. That happens when folks get destroyed again, again.
quote the post of me saying "mariota has a strong arm"

(This post was last modified: 04-09-2016, 03:39 PM by GlockBortles.)

Idk what your standard is for strong arm but no one is putting his arm strength on Stafford level or even bortles so ur gonna have a tough time with this one bud

Quote:Idk what your standard is for strong arm but no one is putting his arm strength on Stafford level or even bortles so ur gonna have a tough time with this one bud

I'm noticing a pattern where you pretty much struggle with any discussion.

(This post was last modified: 04-09-2016, 04:08 PM by GlockBortles.)

Quote:I'm noticing a pattern where you pretty much struggle with any discussion.
the only one struggling here is you with these poor arguments. Quote me when you have something intelligent to say thanks Smile

I think the bigger question is whether Mariota believes in global warming or not. That's what will make and break his quarterback ranking. Trust me

Quote:I am a jags fan lol, Ive been on this site for a good year now supporting the jags just like everyone else so idk why anyone whos seen me on here would think otherwise.

Calling me a troll because you guys are too emotional to accept someone being unbiased about the other teams in the division is as innaccurate as all of your trash posts.

No, I'm not stupid, you follow the formula of many other trolls that hung around here for extended periods of time. Always declare yourself a "jag" fan (without even the respect to capitalize it) whenever confronted,  but in every discussion take the dumbest most anti-Jaguars positions you can. Things like declaring Bridgewater better than Bortles, or whiteknighting other team's bad players.

If I were one of the mods here you'd already be gone a while ago.

Quote:No, I'm not stupid, you follow the formula of many other trolls that hung around here for extended periods of time. Always declare yourself a "jag" fan (without even the respect to capitalize it) whenever confronted, but in every discussion take the dumbest most anti-Jaguars positions you can. Things like declaring Bridgewater better than Bortles, or whiteknighting other team's bad players.

If I were one of the mods here you'd already be gone a while ago.
ive defended two qbs because this boards analysis of them was innaccurate. That doesnt make me a troll it just means i have a different opinion than you. Get over it and stop being emotional about a forum.

(This post was last modified: 04-10-2016, 10:39 AM by GlockBortles.)

my elaborate troll is pretending to be a jag fan for all the time ive been on here, going against that status quo on two players, then continuing to support the team? You actually just typed that out like it made any sense?

Quote:His YPA was higher than Bortles just so you're clear. You don't have to complete deep passes to effectively attack a defense on different levels. I should also add that Mariota was more proficient throwing the deep ball than Bortles was during his rookie year. It's a skill that young players take time to develop. It's also a lot easier to adjust to throwing deep passes than it is to read a defense and make good decisions.

Ok, overall MM had a slightly higher YPA of 7.6 compared to 7.3 for BB. Bortles, however, seriously improved down the stretch while Mariota started going downhill. Looking at the last five games played by each qb, Bortles had a YPA of 8.6 while Mariota had a 7.0,

Where do you get that Mariota was more proficient throwing the deep ball than Bortles as a rookie? I'm not saying you're wrong because I don't even recall BB throwing deep much as a rookie, but MM's deep pass attempts were atrocious. Looking at BB vs MM this past year, here's another site to help put the short vs deep passing in perspective...

<p style="margin-left:40px;">2015_qb_stats_broken_down_by_passes_less_than_and greater than 15 yards

On passes less than or equal to 15 yards...

• BB had 26 TDs and 14 INTs completing 64% with a 5.7 YPA and an 85.2 qb rating

• MM had 15 TDs and 4 INTs completing 70.3% with a 7.2 YPA and a 102.4 qb rating

On passes over 15 yards...

• BB had 9 TDs and 4 INTs completing 44.1% with a 12.7 YPA and a 100.2 qb rating

• MM had 4 TDs and 6 INTs completing 37.2% with a 9.7 YPA and a 58,3 qb rating

In other words, MM has a great short game where BBs is just ok, but BB has a great deep game where MM is chopped liver over 15 yards.

'02

Quote:my elaborate troll is pretending to be a jag fan for all the time ive been on here, going against that status quo on two players, then continuing to support the team? You actually just typed that out like it made any sense?

Quote:ive defended two qbs because this boards analysis of them was innaccurate. That doesnt make me a troll it just means i have a different opinion than you. Get over it and stop being emotional about a forum.

Definitely a troll. Baconator used to do the same schtick but apparently gave up on maintaining his facade a while back. He was running the "I'm really a fan that just thinks these other players not on the team are much better than the guys on the team" just like you.

The "stop being emotional about a forum" thing definitely shows I'm on the right track. People that are so pathetic they get their jollies trolling football forums don't even move the needle for me emotionally, you're just that obvious that I called you out.

Quote:Ok, overall MM had a slightly higher YPA of 7.6 compared to 7.3 for BB. Bortles, however, seriously improved down the stretch while Mariota started going downhill. Looking at the last five games played by each qb, Bortles had a YPA of 8.6 while Mariota had a 7.0,

Where do you get that Mariota was more proficient throwing the deep ball than Bortles as a rookie? I'm not saying you're wrong because I don't even recall BB throwing deep much as a rookie, but MM's deep pass attempts were atrocious. Looking at BB vs MM this past year, here's another site to help put the short vs deep passing in perspective...

<p style="margin-left:40px;">2015_qb_stats_broken_down_by_passes_less_than_and greater than 15 yards

On passes less than or equal to 15 yards...

• BB had 26 TDs and 14 INTs completing 64% with a 5.7 YPA and an 85.2 qb rating

• MM had 15 TDs and 4 INTs completing 70.3% with a 7.2 YPA and a 102.4 qb rating

On passes over 15 yards...

• BB had 9 TDs and 4 INTs completing 44.1% with a 12.7 YPA and a 100.2 qb rating

• MM had 4 TDs and 6 INTs completing 37.2% with a 9.7 YPA and a 58,3 qb rating

In other words, MM has a great short game where BBs is just ok, but BB has a great deep game where MM is chopped liver over 15 yards.

Mariota is in Gabbert territory when it comes to throwing down the field. Definitely not a good sign.

(This post was last modified: 04-10-2016, 02:49 PM by GlockBortles.)

Quote:Definitely a troll. Baconator used to do the same schtick but apparently gave up on maintaining his facade a while back. He was running the "I'm really a fan that just thinks these other players not on the team are much better than the guys on the team" just like you.

The "stop being emotional about a forum" thing definitely shows I'm on the right track. People that are so pathetic they get their jollies trolling football forums don't even move the needle for me emotionally, you're just that obvious that I called you out.
i didnt say mariota was much better than bortles, never said he was better at any point but alrighty

Youre literally wrong but keep thinking u caught me pal!

Id take Winston over MM

Quote:i didnt say mariota was much better than bortles, never said he was better at any point but alrighty

Youre literally wrong but keep thinking u caught me pal!

When did I say that you said Mariota was better than Bortles?

You keep proving me more correct with every Freudian slip.

Quote:Id take Winston over MM

In a heartbeat.  Not even close.