Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
MM vs BB

Quote:I would love to see the career breakdown for the other AFC South QBs by quarter as well.
Bortles:

1Q: 1598 yards, 4 TD, 8 INT, 69.9 passer rating

2Q: 2356 yards, 15 TD, 13 INT, 76.5 passer rating

3Q: 1912 yards, 13 TD, 6 INT, 82.7 passer rating

4Q: 3364 yards, 26 TD, 17 INT, 87.1 passer rating

Luck:

1Q: 3718 yards, 20 TD, 12 INT, 83.2 passer rating

2Q: 4921 yards, 27 TD, 18 INT, 82.5 passer rating

3Q: 3842 yards, 29 TD, 11 INT, 90.8 passer rating

4Q: 4380 yards, 38 TD, 17 INT, 90.7 passer rating

Mariota: 

1Q: 1057 yards, 7 TD, 0 INT, 104.6 passer rating

2Q: 1446 yards, 10 TD, 5 INT, 90.0 passer rating

3Q: 902 yards, 5 TD, 5 INT, 89.4 passer rating

4Q: 1224, 10 TD, 6 INT, 84.6 passer rating

Osweiler:

1Q: 958 yards, 8 TD, 3 INT, 104.7 passer rating

2Q: 816 yards, 2 TD, 4 INT, 69.1 passer rating

3Q: 723 yards, 1 TD, 5 INT, 62.0 passer rating

4Q: 1073 yards, 8 TD, 2 INT, 83.9 passer rating

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

That probably wasn't worth all that typing...

It's over. Not even a debate. Mariota started the year in a rut, but climbed on out and now looks GREAT.

Beer belly Bortles started out bad, and now is getting worse every week.

I really don't think Mariota is a super star or anything, but he's a good top 15-20 QB right now and has top 10 potential.

Bortles will be out of the league in 2 years. He might not even get another shot. The guy sucks.
Make the Jags Great Again
Blake Bortles......YOU'RE FIRED!
Dave Caldwell.....YOU'RE FIRED!

To add:

Career situational splits

Bortles (37 games 58 career TDs):

Trailing - 49 TDs 60% completion 7.2 YPA

Ahead - 4 54% 5.1

Tied - 5  53% 5.5

Luck (62 games 115 career TDs):

Trailing - 65 TDs 56% completion 7.0 YPA

Ahead - 38 60% 7.4

Tied - 12 62% 6.7

Mariota (20 games 33 career TDs):

Trailing - 13 TDs 58% completion 6.9 YPA

Ahead - 12  71% 8.6

Tied - 8  66% 8.5

Osweiler (29 games 18 career TDs):

Trailing - 9 TDs 59% completion 5.7 YPA

Ahead - 4 59% 6.4

Tied - 6 61% 8.9

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/

Quote:It's over. Not even a debate. Mariota started the year in a rut, but climbed on out and now looks GREAT.

Beer belly Bortles started out bad, and now is getting worse every week.

I really don't think Mariota is a super star or anything, but he's a good top 15-20 QB right now and has top 10 potential.

Bortles will be out of the league in 2 years. He might not even get another shot. The guy sucks.

MM looks like he's gonna be a good QB.  I made fun of him last year, but he's come into his own.  He's no Brady, or Manning...  But he's right there in that second tier of QBs...  You get the right players around him and a running game, and he can lead a team to the playoffs.

BB5's stats look really good - But that's all garbage time numbers.  

BB5 is not long as a starter in this league.  I think he's gonna make a real good backup QB for some team in the next couple years.

Quote:To add:

Career situational splits

Bortles (37 games 58 career TDs):

Trailing - 49 TDs 60% completion 7.2 YPA

Ahead - 4 54% 5.1

Tied - 5  53% 5.5

Luck (62 games 115 career TDs):

Trailing - 65 TDs 56% completion 7.0 YPA

Ahead - 38 60% 7.4

Tied - 12 62% 6.7

Mariota (20 games 33 career TDs):

Trailing - 13 TDs 58% completion 6.9 YPA

Ahead - 12  71% 8.6

Tied - 8  66% 8.5

Osweiler (29 games 18 career TDs):

Trailing - 9 TDs 59% completion 5.7 YPA

Ahead - 4 59% 6.4

Tied - 6 61% 8.9

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/
Lol yeah I started to type up these splits too but I was already typing way too much. Thanks for doing it though, they are stark for sure. 

Quote:Can't give up on Bortles but he doesn't look good right now at all.

Precisely. I'm not even opposed to benching Bortles if need be, but long-term he's worth developing for his potential alone.

I speculated in a thread how his arm may have gone out on him again like it did late in his rookie season because he never rested it this offseason. If that turns out the case, he may literally need a month off, and in the future they need to manage this by making sure he takes a good long break in the offseason.

As for Mariota...

Dude becomes Super Mariota when he plays the Jaguars. He had some absolute killer strikes in that game. Of course it helped him tremendously that our pass rush was held at bay. At one point I'm sure I saw him eating a turkey sandwich while looking to throw.

'02

And the run game. I think you swap QB's the score is still the same

Quote:Precisely. I'm not even opposed to benching Bortles if need be, but long-term he's worth developing for his potential alone.

I speculated in a thread how his arm may have gone out on him again like it did late in his rookie season because he never rested it this offseason. If that turns out the case, he may literally need a month off, and in the future they need to manage this by making sure he takes a good long break in the offseason.

As for Mariota...

Dude becomes Super Mariota when he plays the Jaguars. He had some absolute killer strikes in that game. Of course it helped him tremendously that our pass rush was held at bay. At one point I'm sure I saw him eating a turkey sandwich while looking to throw.

If his struggles are due to arm fatigue, do you think it is because of his broken throwing mechanics?

Quote:If his struggles are due to arm fatigue, do you think it is because of his broken throwing mechanics?

No, I think it's the other way around. He needs to put his whole body into this throws to get his passes off due to the fatigue. When his arm is fresh and he's able to throw well, you don't see that excess motion.

Also keep in mind this was a short week which means his arm didn't even have the rest it normally gets.

'02

Quote:No, I think it's the other way around. He needs to put his whole body into this throws to get his passes off due to the fatigue. When his arm is fresh and he's able to throw well, you don't see that excess motion.

Also keep in mind this was a short week which means his arm didn't even have the rest it normally gets.

How could he be so horribly out of shape that his arm is tired from the beginning of the season?

Also, if he was using proper mechanics he wouldn't need to strain himself on every throw.

Quote:How could he be so horribly out of shape that his arm is tired from the beginning of the season?

Also, if he was using proper mechanics he wouldn't need to strain himself on every throw.

It's not a matter of being in shape. It's a matter of him constantly throwing for a year and a half with no break. This past January and February he kept throwing and even hosted his own camp to keep in synch with his guys. He really needed to have taken a good maybe two months off in the offseason to totally rest the arm. I don't know the medical terminology here, but the same thin happened about 10 weeks into his rookie season.

'02

(This post was last modified: 10-29-2016, 02:39 AM by Baconator.)

Quote:It's not a matter of being in shape. It's a matter of him constantly throwing for a year and a half with no break. This past January and February he kept throwing and even hosted his own camp to keep in synch with his guys. He really needed to have taken a good maybe two months off in the offseason to totally rest the arm. I don't know the medical terminology here, but the same thin happened about 10 weeks into his rookie season.

So he cannot be relied upon to perform the basic physical tasks required to be a consistent NFL starter? If he suffered from the same thing earlier in his career, I think it's likely a result of his mechanics always being so terrible and inconsistent, resulting him straining himself more on every throw. Regardless, that still doesn't explain his terrible decision making, or general lack of awareness.

I honestly don't understand everything I'm reading about Bortles. Maybe his mechanics needs work, but I don't see that being the central issue here. Before the season started, I said that if his circus catching wide receivers regressed, he was going to struggle. That seems to have happened. Also, he has no time in the pocket. When he does have time, he still makes great throws. I can't believe that I read idiots calling for Henne. Bortles is still the guy. What's going to help him is pass protection and maybe even *gasp* something resembling a running game

The Jags should fire Bradley way before they start thinking about benching Bortles.

Quote:The Jags should fire Bradley way before they start thinking about benching Bortles.

If Bortles arm has gone limp like it did when he was a rookie, their best option might be to sit for a couple weeks for health reasons.

'02

Again, I don't buy it. If he's hurt, then sit him. If he's not, then don't. It's that simple.

Quote:I honestly don't understand everything I'm reading about Bortles. Maybe his mechanics needs work, but I don't see that being the central issue here. Before the season started, I said that if his circus catching wide receivers regressed, he was going to struggle. That seems to have happened. Also, he has no time in the pocket. When he does have time, he still makes great throws. I can't believe that I read idiots calling for Henne. Bortles is still the guy. What's going to help him is pass protection and maybe even *gasp* something resembling a running game
I've tried to steer clear of the Bortles discussion because so much is wrong right now it's hard to tell how much is him. I will say, though, the first thing that needs fixing to get a read on Bortles is the line has to be able to muster a reasonable push against pass defense fronts. That's the most pressing problem I've seen so far, against six man pass rushing fronts the Jaguars aren't managing to get any push or running lanes so when Bortles passes he's throwing into heavy coverage.

It used to be no one respected the Jaguars passing game now it's that no one respects the running game.

Quote:That probably wasn't worth all that typing...

I thought it was interesting. Thanks.

The talk of a hidden injury or arm fatigue 6 games into the season is ridiculous IMO.