Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
MM vs BB

The problem with that excuse is that the line is actually pass blocking better this season than last. Football outsiders grades them as the 20th best pass blockong line, up from 25th last year. I've also seen them graded the top 15 by pff earlier this year .

The run game has been bad, but that doesn't excuse forcing the ball into heavy coverage when other guys are open. Or badly misthrowing the ball when wrs are open. To say that his mechanics haven't been a problem is crazy-they very clearly are a major problem. He doesn't deliver an accurate or consistently catchable ball. Couple that with poor decision making and the inability to read coverage and go through his progressions and it's no surprise he has struggled.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:The problem with that excuse is that the line is actually pass blocking better this season than last. Football outsiders grades them as the 20th best pass blockong line, up from 25th last year. I've also seen them graded the top 15 by pff earlier this year .

The run game has been bad, but that doesn't excuse forcing the ball into heavy coverage when other guys are open. Or badly misthrowing the ball when wrs are open. To say that his mechanics haven't been a problem is crazy-they very clearly are a major problem. He doesn't deliver an accurate or consistently catchable ball. Couple that with poor decision making and the inability to read coverage and go through his progressions and it's no surprise he has struggled.

I get that the line may be blocking a little better, but these receivers aren't catching the punts he was throwing down the field last season. Still, when the pocket is clean, he's making plays. And what's the alternative here?

Quote:I get that the line may be blocking a little better, but these receivers aren't catching the punts he was throwing down the field last season. Still, when the pocket is clean, he's making plays. And what's the alternative here?

There is no doubt the offense and the wrs over achieved last year. But if you recall, while his mechanics were better last year, they were still inconsistent, he was still inaccurate, turnover prone, and struggled to read defenses. I argued it wasn't a recipe for long term success and thats coming to fruition this year.

The alternative isn't on the roster. I think you have to ride him out this year to evaluate, but it would be foolish to come out of next offseason without a contingency plan for his replacment. Maybe he turns it around, but given his history and the deep rooted fundamental laws, tjat seems unlikely. I don't think he's justified having his 5th year option picked up.

I agree he needs to be pushed. I really liked the guy coming out of college and you saw last season what he could do with what I imagine is next to no coaching. He did throw a lot of passes up for grabs and his receivers came through for him a lot but he was also running for his life all season. He demonstrated superior pocket presence last season and it has been lacking a bit this season. Still, when there's protection, he gets it done. He's not going to get that in Jacksonville anytime soon. Without a run game, defenses can just tee off on the offensive line. I really think if he leaves, he may end up someone's Drew Brees. That is if he has any confidence left

Quote: Still, when there's protection, he gets it done. He's not going to get that in Jacksonville anytime soon. 
The pass protection has been good this year, at least before the game is out of hand and the dline is pinning their ears back. Blake hasn't gotten it done with very manageable pockets for the first 2 or 3 quarters. 

Quote:Bortles:

1Q: 1598 yards, 4 TD, 8 INT, 69.9 passer rating

2Q: 2356 yards, 15 TD, 13 INT, 76.5 passer rating

3Q: 1912 yards, 13 TD, 6 INT, 82.7 passer rating

4Q: 3364 yards, 26 TD, 17 INT, 87.1 passer rating

Luck:

1Q: 3718 yards, 20 TD, 12 INT, 83.2 passer rating

2Q: 4921 yards, 27 TD, 18 INT, 82.5 passer rating

3Q: 3842 yards, 29 TD, 11 INT, 90.8 passer rating

4Q: 4380 yards, 38 TD, 17 INT, 90.7 passer rating

Mariota:

1Q: 1057 yards, 7 TD, 0 INT, 104.6 passer rating

2Q: 1446 yards, 10 TD, 5 INT, 90.0 passer rating

3Q: 902 yards, 5 TD, 5 INT, 89.4 passer rating

4Q: 1224, 10 TD, 6 INT, 84.6 passer rating

Osweiler:

1Q: 958 yards, 8 TD, 3 INT, 104.7 passer rating

2Q: 816 yards, 2 TD, 4 INT, 69.1 passer rating

3Q: 723 yards, 1 TD, 5 INT, 62.0 passer rating

4Q: 1073 yards, 8 TD, 2 INT, 83.9 passer rating

Wow, Blake really is a poor mans version of Luck. Obviously Luck is still much better in the first half, but both start slow.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

Quote:The talk of a hidden injury or arm fatigue 6 games into the season is ridiculous IMO.

I'm not so sure. In that Titans game I thought I was watching Peyton Manning in one of his final regular season games. Some of those throws were just ugly. It appears that if he doesn't go through the full motion putting his entire body to it, he can't get off a decent mid-range pass.

'02

Quote:There is no doubt the offense and the wrs over achieved last year. But if you recall, while his mechanics were better last year, they were still inconsistent, he was still inaccurate, turnover prone, and struggled to read defenses. I argued it wasn't a recipe for long term success and thats coming to fruition this year.

The alternative isn't on the roster. I think you have to ride him out this year to evaluate, but it would be foolish to come out of next offseason without a contingency plan for his replacment. Maybe he turns it around, but given his history and the deep rooted fundamental laws, tjat seems unlikely. I don't think he's justified having his 5th year option picked up.

I don't buy that he struggles to read defenses given how well he does in the no huddle and how successful he was last year with the deep pass. One of his best attributes is his downfield vision, and if you think I'm wrong about this much than you must have not watched a game last year. Granted he has some decision making issues, but that doesn't mean he can't read defenses.

'02

Quote:I agree he needs to be pushed. I really liked the guy coming out of college and you saw last season what he could do with what I imagine is next to no coaching. He did throw a lot of passes up for grabs and his receivers came through for him a lot but he was also running for his life all season. He demonstrated superior pocket presence last season and it has been lacking a bit this season. Still, when there's protection, he gets it done. He's not going to get that in Jacksonville anytime soon. Without a run game, defenses can just tee off on the offensive line. I really think if he leaves, he may end up someone's Drew Brees. That is if he has any confidence left

Bortles is not one of those qbs that needs superior protection. He actually does a fine job feeling pressure and moving around in the pocket to buy time. Lately he's had some games where he was caught off-guard, but much of that has to do with his recent struggles regarding the longer motion. Last year Bortles qb rating was among the few best in the league while being contacted because he can shake off a lot of contact. I'm still convinced something is just wrong with his arm right now.

'02

Quote:I agree he needs to be pushed. I really liked the guy coming out of college and you saw last season what he could do with what I imagine is next to no coaching. He did throw a lot of passes up for grabs and his receivers came through for him a lot but he was also running for his life all season. He demonstrated superior pocket presence last season and it has been lacking a bit this season. Still, when there's protection, he gets it done. He's not going to get that in Jacksonville anytime soon. Without a run game, defenses can just tee off on the offensive line. I really think if he leaves, he may end up someone's Drew Brees. That is if he has any confidence left

No coaching? Give me one reason to think you didn't just make that up.

Why no accountability for Bortles?

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:I don't buy that he struggles to read defenses given how well he does in the no huddle and how successful he was last year with the deep pass. One of his best attributes is his downfield vision, and if you think I'm wrong about this much than you must have not watched a game last year. Granted he has some decision making issues, but that doesn't mean he can't read defenses.

Do you realize the main reason you run no huddle is because it forces the defense into a basic coverage scheme? It disrupts exotic coverages and limits defensive flexibility, limiting the pressure on tbe qb to read the defense. In fact, given that bortles is only able to have success is in the no huddle speaks to his inability to read defensive schemes.

Also when the jags go no huddle its usually garbage time and the game is out of hand. For example the titans games just played where the defense was in prevent mode with soft coverage through the 2nd half.

Think we can all agree that Luck is horribly overpaid and not as advertised on draft Day..

Quote:No coaching? Give me one reason to think you didn't just make that up.

Why no accountability for Bortles?

The carousel of OC's isn't enough?

I might have missed last week's update, but here's this week's AFC South qb comparison. For Blake's sake, sure the garbage time helped salvage his state, but look at his attempts. His are was wore out in that game. He should never have to pass that much.

Week eight results...

1. Marcus Mariota - 18 of 22 (81.8%) for 250 yards (12.3 YPA), 2 TDs and 0 INT for a 148.1 qb rating <strong>with 1 fumble
    </strong>(0 lost)

2. Blake Bortles - 33 of 54 (61.1%) for 337 yards (6.2 YPA), 3 TDs and 0 INT for a 97.5 qb rating

3. Andrew Luck - 19 of 35
    (54.3%)
    for 210 yards
    (6.0 YPA)
    , 2 TDs and 1 INT for a 87.0 qb rating with 1 fumble
    (1 lost)

4. Brock Osweiler -  20 of 29 (69.0%) for 186 yards (6.4 YPA), 1 TD and 1 INT for a 83.4 qb rating

Overall results...

1. Andrew Luck - 198 of 311 (63.7%) for 2,284 yards (7.3 YPA), 16 TDs and 5 INTs for a 96.2 qb rating with 4 fumbles (3 lost), 1 rush TD

2. Marcus Mariota - 157 of 248 (63.3%)<span style="color:#008080;"><span style="color:#008080;"><strong>
    </strong>for 1,874 yards
    (7.6 YPA), 14 TDs and 6 INTs for a 95.1 qb rating with 6 fumbles (3 lost), 1 rush TD</span></span>
  3. Blake Bortles - 174 of 290 (60.0%) for 1,904 yards (6.6 YPA), 12 TDs and 9 INTs for a 80.3 qb rating with 2 fumbles (2 lost), 1 rush TD

4. Brock Osweiler - 176 of 297
    (59.3%)
    for 1,719 yards
    (5.8 YPA)
    , 9 TDs and 9 INTs for a 73.1 rating with 5 fumbles
    (1 lost)

Mariota is currently on a role behind that OL and running game.

'02

I am amazed that Bortles' completion percentage is at 60%. AMAZED.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:I might have missed last week's update, but here's this week's AFC South qb comparison. For Blake's sake, sure the garbage time helped salvage his state, but look at his attempts. His are was wore out in that game. He should never have to pass that much.

Week eight results...

1. Marcus Mariota - 18 of 22 (81.8%) for 250 yards (12.3 YPA), 2 TDs and 0 INT for a 148.1 qb rating <strong>with 1 fumble </strong>(0 lost)

2. Blake Bortles - 33 of 54 (61.1%) for 337 yards (6.2 YPA), 3 TDs and 0 INT for a 97.5 qb rating

3. Andrew Luck - 19 of 35
    (54.3%)
    for 210 yards
    (6.0 YPA)
    , 2 TDs and 1 INT for a 87.0 qb rating with 1 fumble
    (1 lost)

4. Brock Osweiler -  20 of 29 (69.0%) for 186 yards (6.4 YPA), 1 TD and 1 INT for a 83.4 qb rating

Overall results...

1. Andrew Luck - 198 of 311 (63.7%) for 2,284 yards (7.3 YPA), 16 TDs and 5 INTs for a 96.2 qb rating with 4 fumbles (3 lost), 1 rush TD

2. Marcus Mariota - 157 of 248 (63.3%)<strong> </strong>for 1,874 yards (7.6 YPA), 14 TDs and 6 INTs for a 95.1 qb rating with 6 fumbles (3 lost), 1 rush TD

3. Blake Bortles - 174 of 290 (60.0%) for 1,904 yards (6.6 YPA), 12 TDs and 9 INTs for a 80.3 qb rating with 2 fumbles (2 lost), 1 rush TD

4. Brock Osweiler - 176 of 297
    (59.3%)
    for 1,719 yards
    (5.8 YPA)
    , 9 TDs and 9 INTs for a 73.1 rating with 5 fumbles
    (1 lost)

Mariota is currently on a role behind that OL and running game.
 think we're 0-10 when Bortles throws for more than 300 yards

Quote:Think we can all agree that Luck is horribly overpaid and not as advertised on draft Day..

Not really... he got market rate as the best starting qb in the division.

'02

Quote:Not really... he got market rate as the best starting qb in the division.
I get what he's saying though.

Luck was supposed to be one of those QBs that it didn't matter if he had a run game, or a defense, he was the next sure-thing QB.

And while he has been good, even great at times, I don't think he ever reaches the echelon of P. Manning, T. Brady, Montana, etc.

<a class="" href='https://twitter.com/AndrewSiciliano'>Andrew Siciliano ‏@AndrewSiciliano </a> <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/AndrewSiciliano/status/795400380628668416' title="6:00 PM - 6 Nov 2016">13m13 minutes ago</a>

<p class="">Marcus Mariota, in the red zone, in 21 career games: 27 TD 0 INT

<p class=""> 

<p class=""> 

<p class=""> 

Quote:<a class="bbc_url" href='https://twitter.com/AndrewSiciliano'>Andrew Siciliano ‏@
AndrewSiciliano </a> <a class="bbc_url" href='https://twitter.com/AndrewSiciliano/status/795400380628668416'>13m13 minutes ago</a>

Marcus Mariota, in the red zone, in 21 career games: 27 TD 0 INT

He throws his picks closer to his own end zone.