Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
MM vs BB

Quote:I have to admit I am having quite the laugh reading back through this thread. Its vindicating after being harassed incessantly for being a 'troll' all last season, only to be proven right in the Jags most hyped season. No hard feelings, still hope the Jags can pull the upsets and win against the Colts and Texans.

It's amazing, honestly. I'm loving it.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote: 

<div> 
The Colts have the worst passing D in the division and its not really close. So maybe Luck is a HoF quality QB?

...Mariota is the MVP of the Titans. When he has elite passer ratings the Titans win. Average to below average passing game = loss. This might seem obvious but it doesn’t hold true for Luck.

The Titan’s exotic smashmouth running game may be helping Mariota’s passing numbers but it doesn’t appear to be winning games without Mariota being an efficient passer.

</div>

I love the graphs and agree with most everything you're saying. Just a couple things...

You say the Colts have the worst pass D and I'm sure you're right statistically, but my hunch is the Titans pass D is actually worse stats aside.

On Mariota playing well when the Titans win and playing bad when they lose... well, ok, but in their last loss, Mariota had a 106.3 qb rating which may not be elite, but is pretty darn good. In his other loss to the Colts he had a 95.8 rating. I know... Colts pass D... but still.

'02

Quote:You say the Colts have the worst pass D and I'm sure you're right statistically, but my hunch is the Titans pass D is actually worse stats aside.

It’s difficult to quantify the feels. But Cox is gone… And here’s more stats.

Team         Pts/GM   SCK   Pas DEF   INT   FF  Rec   Rate

<p style="margin:0in 0in .0001pt -13.5pt;">Tennessee       25.7    30      68       11   0    2    88.5

<p style="margin:0in 0in .0001pt -13.5pt;">Houston         17.2    21      53        6   6    5    90.4

<p style="margin:0in 0in .0001pt -13.5pt;">Jacksonville    18.7    26      26        3   6    4    92.2

<p style="margin:0in 0in .0001pt -13.5pt;">Indianapolis    25.9    23      50        6   9    5    99.3

Quote:On Mariota playing well when the Titans win and playing bad when they lose... well, ok, but in their last loss, Mariota had a 106.3 qb rating which may not be elite, but is pretty darn good. In his other loss to the Colts he had a 95.8 rating. I know... Colts pass D... but still.

Bad Game = Loss, not the same as, Great Game = Win.

<p style="margin:0in;">I think Mariota is at the point where he could carry the team if he was given the opportunity by the Titans OC. But Murray should be able to pick up 2 yards on 4<sup>th</sup> down, between the 20's, behind the Titans great Oline.

<p style="margin:0in;"> 

<p style="margin:0in;">FWIW Mariota did throw a game tying TD against the Raiders that was called back for offensive PI before he threw a bad pass to end the game. Mariota also had that run inside the Colts' 5 (maybe 10?) that was called back too. I think they would have scored the game tying TD given the Titans red zone scoring record.

Edited the table I tried to make earlier. Bad BBCode.

lastonealive has disappeared from this thread. Weird.

Quote:lastonealive has disappeared from this thread. Weird.

He does that.

Quote:It’s difficult to quantify the feels. But Cox is gone… And here’s more stats.

Team         Pts/GM   SCK   Pas DEF   INT   FF  Rec   Rate

<p style="margin:0in 0in .0001pt -13.5pt;">Tennessee       25.7    30      68       11   0    2    88.5

<p style="margin:0in 0in .0001pt -13.5pt;">Houston         17.2    21      53        6   6    5    90.4

<p style="margin:0in 0in .0001pt -13.5pt;">Jacksonville    18.7    26      26        3   6    4    92.2

<p style="margin:0in 0in .0001pt -13.5pt;">Indianapolis    25.9    23      50        6   9    5    99.3

<div> 

Bad Game = Loss, not the same as, Great Game = Win.

<p style="margin:0in;">I think Mariota is at the point where he could carry the team if he was given the opportunity by the Titans OC. But Murray should be able to pick up 2 yards on 4<sup>th</sup> down, between the 20's, behind the Titans great Oline.

<p style="margin:0in;">FWIW Mariota did throw a game tying TD against the Raiders that was called back for offensive PI before he threw a bad pass to end the game. Mariota also had that run inside the Colts' 5 (maybe 10?) that was called back too. I think they would have scored the game tying TD given the Titans red zone scoring record.

Edited the table I tried to make earlier. Bad BBCode.

</div>
Just want to note to all the people that think the Jags have a top 5 passing D cause of yards: No we don't. Look at pass defensed, Points per game given up (believe this chart show offensive points tho, 26.03 is our opp PPG), int, and passer rating against. We are not a good defense, even by low AFC South standards.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

Quote:Just want to note to all the people that think the Jags have a top 5 passing D cause of yards: No we don't. Look at pass defensed, Points per game given up (believe this chart show offensive points tho, 26.03 is our opp PPG), int, and passer rating against. We are not a good defense, even by low AFC South standards.
I'd say it is a little of both.

While we still are bottom 3rd in the league in points given up, yards given up matters.

I wouldn't say we're any sort of elite defense. But good? I'd call them good.

Good enough to keep us in games this year we shouldn't have been in.

Good enough to win some games if the offense would show up.

Back to the yards things... we up there with Minnesota, Houston, Denver, Baltimore and Arizona in yards allowed.

We're not complete crap. A better pass rush, a more consistent pass rush... probably puts it over the top.

Also... points allowed, and I'm not throwing anything out, but there were a couple games that the defense just gave up or didn't show for whatever reason.

A couple blowouts and the numbers are skewed slightly.

Also... playing non-elite QBs will help.

I'm not ready to call us a true top 5 team on D. But the pieces are really there.

7th worst in points allowed

4th best in yards allowed

16th in 3rd down conversion %

We're probably a middle of the road D.

With an offense stuck in the cellar.

Quote:Just want to note to all the people that think the Jags have a top 5 passing D cause of yards: No we don't. Look at pass defensed, Points per game given up (believe this chart show offensive points tho, 26.03 is our opp PPG), int, and passer rating against. We are not a good defense, even by low AFC South standards.

I messed up transposing the chart numbers. I wasn't sure how the Bulletin Board Code works for tables on this forum so I copied over the numbers manually and got the points column mixed up. Here are the numbers as a gif:

[Image: LUkeX5n.gif]

Here is the ranking of all passer ratings through Week 13 (minimum 200 attempts):

[Image: SDyvYmi.gif]

Mariota's and Luck's efficiencies look to be in the second (maybe third) tier of passers this season. Mariota might drop below Luck after the next two weeks.

Quote:I have to admit I am having quite the laugh reading back through this thread. Its vindicating after being harassed incessantly for being a 'troll' all last season, only to be proven right in the Jags most hyped season. No hard feelings, still hope the Jags can pull the upsets and win against the Colts and Texans.

You are a troll. You propagated false stats, twisted others positions, and deningrated posters. I can't speak for everyone but I made it clear that 1. Bortles at the moment, last season, was playing better than Mariota, which was true. 2. Mariota shouldn't have been declared bust or boom, as some on both sides of the argument were taking those extremes. I said let's wait and see what happens and if Tennessee gives him the tools to succeed. And whoila!

Quote:Bortles at the moment, last season, was playing better than Mariota, which was true.
[Image: g8Irvnp.gif]

[Image: 75IJ2wX.gif]

2015 graphs.

It's hard to move the tail of the weekly graph in the last four weeks of the season. 

The Colts were 2-5 with Luck and 6-3 without him. Not an MVP season (meaning MVP of the Colts).

Just like this year, Titans won those games where Mariota had elite rates (close to or above 120). The Titans won only those games.

Mariota went 3-9 but only threw 6 passes against the Pats. 

For the most part, Bortles had better passer ratings than Mariota.

Mariota finished higher but was greatly boosted by the Bucs and to a lesser extent the Saints games.

Quote:Mariota finished higher but was greatly boosted by the Bucs and to a lesser extent the Saints games.

This is why I didn't believe in Mariota after last year. As a rookie, he put up fine stats against the Bucs, Saints, Browns and Jaguars (remember his 80+ yard TD run in the 2nd game that doesn't factor into pass rating), but aside from the Bucs who they played week one, all of these teams had by the far the worst defenses in the league. They were vying with each other to see who could be the worst. Against everyone else, as in teams with at least an average defense, Mariota utterly stunk up the field as a rookie. He was tossed like a rag doll at times in games, and had quite a few serious stinkers. This year, however, he's just been on a roll the likes of which we haven't seen in Tennessee since Steve McNair, and it doesn't really seem to matter all that much who he plays.

'02

Quote:Never forget.

That was the case at the time.

Improvement occurs. Love the hunting for that!

Lucks turnovers cost them again. Another failed comeback.

Quote:He's not very impressive. Glad we have Bortles.

This makes me LOL

Quote:This makes me LOL

Hey I didn't see Bortles regressing to struggling to throw the ball.

I'm glad we aren't paying a mediocre qb the most in the league though. That could really cause us problems.

Quote:Hey I didn't see Bortles regressing to struggling to throw the ball.

I'm glad we aren't paying a mediocre qb the most in the league though. That could really cause us problems.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Delusional. I love it. It's all coming to the surface now (if it wasn't already obvious before).

Quote: Laughing Laughing Laughing

Delusional. I love it. It's all coming to the surface now (if it wasn't already obvious before).
I hope he's referring to Osweiler....

Luck isn't the top elite QB he was claimed to be, imo. But I wouldn't say he is mediocre.

He's still a top tier option at QB. Not top 3 but definitely top 10.

Osweiler... very mediocre, very highly paid. (11th based on spotrac) only 7  mil fewer in fully guaranteed money compared to Luck.

Bad move by Houston.

So he has a point, that we're not hamstrung by Bortles' contract.

Luck is worth every penny the junkie owner pays him. Luck is the only thing preventing the clots from being a dumpster fire of a franchise like us.
Make the Jags Great Again
Blake Bortles......YOU'RE FIRED!
Dave Caldwell.....YOU'RE FIRED!

That myth has been going for a while. Old man Hasselbeck had them playing better last year.

Mediocre was probably a bit harsh. Maybe slightly above average?

Quote:That myth has been going for a while. Old man Hasselbeck had them playing better last year.

Mediocre was probably a bit harsh. Maybe slightly above average?

Blake's top dog