Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
***Official 2017 NFL Draft Thread***

Carlos Watkins is the guy I would assume to be the pick in the 4th with us not having a backup NT and our dline coach being his dine coach last year

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Jake Butt, Nathan Peterman, Desmond King, Jordan Legget, Bucky Hodges, Brad Kaaya
To jump on this, I also like Corn Elder, Damontee Kazee, Carlos Watkins, Dorian Johnson,Eddie Jackson,and Jalen Reeves-Maybin

Quote:a guy like tim williams is an impact rusher.. still dont understand our pick.. we want a backup to campbell?  there are many guys we can get to be backups.. why are we drafting for backups when our starters just previously won 3 games last year?

this is a classic jaguar pick, ive been nothing but positive this draft, but this pick strait up on paper sucks, SUCKS.  I hope he becomes great and proves me wrong, but this is dumb

I know the reporter used the word "backup," but I don't think that was the right word. In Wash's system, the "backup" is expected to rotate in often during games with little drop off from the starter. The Jaguars rotational DLs are typically guys that should start on other teams.

I'm just surprised they drafted Smoot this early whle Carl Lawson is still falling. It makes me wonder why they felt Smoot wouldn't at least last until their early round four pick. We could have drafted Leggett or Peterman at the spot. Then again, I'm now wondering if these two will be there for the Jaguars in round four.

'02

Quote:Ultimately I hope the team can move back and accrue more picks.

What I would really hate to see is Tennessee move around again, gaining extra picks. Their GM is very savvy. Too bad.

That is one thing that I continue to be bummed about the way the Jags draft. I can't remember the last time this team traded down for more picks. I liked the Cam Robinson pick, but trading up 1 spot to get him makes me think the war room has Suckes written on the door.
Taking it to the top of the Modis building.  

Quote:That is one thing that I continue to be bummed about the way the Jags draft. I can't remember the last time this team traded down for more picks. I liked the Cam Robinson pick, but trading up 1 spot to get him makes me think the war room has Suckes written on the door.

They gave a 6th... TN didn't trade back this year either. Sometimes need outweighs value of trading

Quote:That is one thing that I continue to be bummed about the way the Jags draft. I can't remember the last time this team traded down for more picks. I liked the Cam Robinson pick, but trading up 1 spot to get him makes me think the war room has Suckes written on the door.

We haven't really been in the position to trade back. Every year it seems we're 1-2 spots away from a spot where a QB is an option.

This year it was Trubisky and the 2 spot (we were 4)

Last year it was Goff and Wentz at 1/2 (we picked 5)

The year before was Winston and Mariota 1/2 (we picked 3)

In 2014 we picked Bortles.

Winning a meaningless game at the end of the year has really hurt our potential trade value.

Trading a 6th rounder to make sure you get the guy you want at the top of the 2nd round makes you think the front office is suckers?

You act like we did a bears/49ers 1 spot trade.

Better yet I hope you are still around for what our 6th round pick would be so you can call who we should have taken at that time.

Quote:Trading a 6th rounder to make sure you get the guy you want at the top of the 2nd round makes you think the front office is suckers?

You act like we did a bears/49ers 1 spot trade.

Better yet I hope you are still around for what our 6th round pick would be so you can call who we should have taken at that time.

They did do a Bears/49ers one spot trade. Thinking they are just one or two players away and drafting based on those needs gets this team its annual spot in the top 5 year after year. Not looking for them to turn into the Browns draft philosophy wise, but in general leaning heavily on free agency vs getting good value in the draft is not a recipe for success.

Quote:We haven't really been in the position to trade back. Every year it seems we're 1-2 spots away from a spot where a QB is an option.

This year it was Trubisky and the 2 spot (we were 4)

Last year it was Goff and Wentz at 1/2 (we picked 5)

The year before was Winston and Mariota 1/2 (we picked 3)

In 2014 we picked Bortles.

Winning a meaningless game at the end of the year has really hurt our potential trade value.
What's funny is all the people that think tanking for draft position is bad - when it could have set this franchise up for better draft picks at multiple levels for years to come.  

Quote:They did do a Bears/49ers one spot trade. Thinking they are just one or two players away and drafting based on those needs gets this team its annual spot in the top 5 year after year. Not looking for them to turn into the Browns draft philosophy wise, but in general leaning heavily on free agency vs getting good value in the draft is not a recipe for success.

We traded a 6th. The Bears gave a 3rd, 4th, and next year's 3rd.... There's a massive difference

Quote:What's funny is all the people that think tanking for draft position is bad - when it could have set this franchise up for better draft picks at multiple levels for years to come.

It's an interesting scenario. To me, whether the team wins 5/6 games or 2/3, it doesn't matter they still stink. What's unfortunate is that most GMs and coaches are fighting for their jobs year in and year out so winning 2 games in weeks 14-17 might end up saving their jobs (for a year).

If I was a coach/gm (and I'm not for a reason) and I had security from ownership, once the team is out of playoff contention, you go into future mode.

I wouldn't say tanking in terms of intentionally losing but evaluating your team and saying okay, who are the veterans that won't be back next year or who's contracts are expiring that we won't be signing. Those guys are now backups and the young guys get the majority of the snaps. This accomplishes 2 things. 1. You'll most likely lose and get higher picks and 2. You get young guys on the field to see what they can do and gain experience.

For example, Jack's role should have been much larger last year.

They probably had someone ready to leap us and instead they gave us the option to give them a 6th and our guy. Happens all the time.
You either die as a good poster, or live long enough to become the troll.

Quote:We traded a 6th. The Bears gave a 3rd, 4th, and next year's 3rd.... There's a massive difference

Still trading up one spot because you are panicking that the team in front of you will trade with another team for your coveted player. They could have taken Lamp and still have a projected starter on the O-line.

After doing some more research on the guards, Nico Siragusa (Sdsu) and Isaac Asiata (Utah) are both perfect scheme fits for power teams. They both are tough and have a mean streak. Fits what TC and DC said they want to do this offseason.

Both could push for playing time this year and after a year of NFL technique coaching, should be quality starters.

Quote:Still trading up one spot because you are panicking that the team in front of you will trade with another team for your coveted player. They could have taken Lamp and still have a projected starter on the O-line.

How stupid would you feel if the guy you were waiting for was taken the pick before you?  You move and secure the pick.  Tells you they much preferred one over the other.  Otherwise, as you said, if they had no preference you wait.  This was not the case.  They felt this was the guy they couldn't chance letting go.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:They did do a Bears/49ers one spot trade. Thinking they are just one or two players away and drafting based on those needs gets this team its annual spot in the top 5 year after year. Not looking for them to turn into the Browns draft philosophy wise, but in general leaning heavily on free agency vs getting good value in the draft is not a recipe for success.

Just so we are clear...

Who should we take in the 6th that you like so much that you make this big of a deal for trading the pick away?

I want Jordan Leggett here, but that's not my prediction. Here's how I see the draft starting out today...

ROUND 4

1. Packers (from Browns) – RB Jeremy McNichols

2. Vikings (from 49ers) – DT Davon Godchaux

3. Jaguars – G Dorian Johnson

4. Seahawks (from 49ers through Bears) – RB Brian Hill

5. Rams – RT Zach Banner

6. Chargers – S Tedric Thompson

7. Redskins (from Jets) – WR Josh Reynolds

8. Cards (from Panthers) – QB Nathan Peterman

'02

Quote:Just so we are clear...

Who should we take in the 6th that you like so much that you make this big of a deal for trading the pick away?

To be clear, any pick in round 6 is better than no picks in round 6. There will be a few players (like there are every year) that get picked late that contribute and develop into more than their draft spot.

Quote:To be clear, any pick in round 6 is better than no picks in round 6. There will be a few players (like there are every year) that get picked late that contribute and develop into more than their draft spot.

So you have no clue who in the 6th round would make sense just like 99% of the board. Yet you want to complain about it...half the board thinks we screwed up the 3rd round pick yet we are going to strike gold in the 6th...cmon man.

Quote:So you have no clue who in the 6th round would make sense just like 99% of the board. Yet you want to complain about it...half the board thinks we screwed up the 3rd round pick yet we are going to strike gold in the 6th...cmon man.

I'd want the best available player. Draft picks are never a certainty that they'll hit, which is why it is better to have more. Not that difficult of a concept.