Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Ode to "let's talk about" ll

Well, my new Sleep Number Bed came today, I hope it lives up to the hype and I can finally get a good nights sleep
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-04-2020, 10:43 AM)Rico Wrote:
(03-04-2020, 10:31 AM)jagibelieve Wrote: I pile up the rotten stuff as well as all of the small branches/brush and burn it all when I can.  I usually wait until after a real good rain and when the wind is down.

If I wasn't in a neighborhood (no HOA fortunately) I would have no issue doing that.  But this rotten stuff tends to smolder and would 'burn' forever...if you can even call it burning.  And the amount of rotten wood that I have back there I just don't have the time for.  I just want the good stuff that I can split for my firepit.

Yeah, I figured you were probably in a residential neighborhood area.  The last pile of stuff that I burned went all day and all of one night (mostly smoldering overnight).  The key is to keep it as hot as possible.  I usually douse the pile with used motor oil and diesel fuel to get it started.  As it burns down and starts to smolder I'll "stir it up" a bit and use a battery operated leaf blower to get it burning again.  Keep in mind I'm talking about pretty big piles of a variety of trees.  Oak, Hickory, Maple, Gum and some Pine along with some Palmetto roots.  Some stuff has been dead/down for quite a while and some stuff recent cut-downs (I have 35 acres of woods/fields).

If I wasn't so tied up with my property clearing I would offer to bring some equipment over to help you out.  Good luck with it and I'm sure if you take Jags up on helping you out with it he would do you right.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(03-04-2020, 09:37 AM)Jags Wrote:
(03-03-2020, 10:56 PM)Sneakers Wrote: Do you have a splitter, or do you use a maul and wedges?
I’m technically a millennial.  But I try to do things the old school way.  I’ve been using a maul. 

Call me crazy but I enjoy learning and doing things the way it was done before technology made life too easy for us.

In my younger days as a teenager splitting wood with a maul and sledge hammer was one of my chores.  It's not bad to do if you're only doing a small amount.  With the amount of wood that I do a splitter is a must, especially since I don't have the strength or stamina that I used to have.  I gave away a bunch of wood this last year and have a bunch more to cut and split.  My biggest problem right now is having a place to season it out of the weather.  I'm planning on putting up a couple of pole barns real soon.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 03-04-2020, 03:19 PM by Jags.)

(03-04-2020, 02:16 PM)Rico Wrote:
(03-04-2020, 12:51 PM)Jags Wrote: That 140 for a truck full of seasoned and split oak is looking really good right now, lol.  

I can see why it’s sat so long now.  I’d still like to help out if I could.   How far from the wood is the street or where the truck would be? How big are the rounds? How many would fit in a wheelbarrow? 

Seems like it would take a nice chunk of time just trying to load it up.

Ding, ding, ding, ding.

The only saving grace would be finding a bunch of good stuff.  I think/hope it's about half and half...which would be a lot.

By the way, there's a guy on Fruit Cove Rd. that sells firewood as well.  Not sure of the address, nor what his stockpile looks like at this point, however.

I wonder if that is part of BIg Bens. He has a decent size tree service and lives on the river over there.  Or did live there when I used to go down there. There another on 13 near the fire dept.  I’m off 210 smack dab in the middle  those guys and the one over in PV.  Same time spent going to either.  The one in PV delivers.  Not sure about the other two.  

If you want a hand, I’ll help.  If there’s a pot of gold under it and I get some rounds, great.  If not, glad I can help.  You pay for the dump fees and a glass of tea.  Saturday would be great weather-wise.  But my and my daughter’s bday is this weekend.  We’ll be out the following week.  So, I wouldn’t be available for a couple weeks.

(03-04-2020, 03:00 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(03-04-2020, 09:37 AM)Jags Wrote: I’m technically a millennial.  But I try to do things the old school way.  I’ve been using a maul. 

Call me crazy but I enjoy learning and doing things the way it was done before technology made life too easy for us.

In my younger days as a teenager splitting wood with a maul and sledge hammer was one of my chores.  It's not bad to do if you're only doing a small amount.  With the amount of wood that I do a splitter is a must, especially since I don't have the strength or stamina that I used to have.  I gave away a bunch of wood this last year and have a bunch more to cut and split.  My biggest problem right now is having a place to season it out of the weather.  I'm planning on putting up a couple of pole barns real soon.

Wait, can I help you instead? Lol

(This post was last modified: 03-04-2020, 03:55 PM by RicoTx.)

(03-04-2020, 03:18 PM)Jags Wrote:
(03-04-2020, 02:16 PM)Rico Wrote: Ding, ding, ding, ding.

The only saving grace would be finding a bunch of good stuff.  I think/hope it's about half and half...which would be a lot.

By the way, there's a guy on Fruit Cove Rd. that sells firewood as well.  Not sure of the address, nor what his stockpile looks like at this point, however.

I wonder if that is part of BIg Bens. He has a decent size tree service and lives on the river over there.  Or did live there when I used to go down there. There another on 13 near the fire dept.  I’m off 210 smack dab in the middle  those guys and the one over in PV.  Same time spent going to either.  The one in PV delivers.  Not sure about the other two.  

If you want a hand, I’ll help.  If there’s a pot of gold under it and I get some rounds, great.  If not, glad I can help.  You pay for the dump fees and a glass of tea.  Saturday would be great weather-wise.  But my and my daughter’s bday is this weekend.  We’ll be out the following week.  So, I wouldn’t be available for a couple weeks.

I might start separating out some of the crap this weekend.
Ben lives right across the street.  Good guy.  he knows his craft...he's actually an arborist and has taught us a lot about the trees in the yard.  My wife loves that [BLEEP] as she is a plant lady.  He helped us out with the oaks that came down from the hurricane, along with some other work.  Gave us a good price (since we were neighbors) and hauled off all of the stuff that was too big to split.  These trees were 50-footers that came down.  

The guy that sells the wood lives on the curve at the north end of Fruit Cove Rd.  I actually think there's another guy on the south end...but he may have moved.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(03-04-2020, 03:54 PM)Rico Wrote:
(03-04-2020, 03:18 PM)Jags Wrote: I wonder if that is part of BIg Bens. He has a decent size tree service and lives on the river over there.  Or did live there when I used to go down there. There another on 13 near the fire dept.  I’m off 210 smack dab in the middle  those guys and the one over in PV.  Same time spent going to either.  The one in PV delivers.  Not sure about the other two.  

I might start separating out some of the crap this weekend.
Ben lives right across the street.  Good guy.  he knows his craft...he's actually an arborist and has taught us a lot about the trees in the yard.  My wife loves that [BLEEP] as she is a plant lady.  He helped us out with the oaks that came down from the hurricane, along with some other work.  Gave us a good price (since we were neighbors) and hauled off all of the stuff that was too big to split.  These trees were 50-footers that came down.  

The guy that sells the wood lives on the curve at the north end of Fruit Cove Rd.  I actually think there's another guy on the south end...but he may have moved.
If you ride by and the guy has a number posted let me know.  Google search “firewood near me” and it’s pretty much a bunch of Craigslist postings from a little bit of everywhere. 

I can understand wanting to get that moved quickly, especially with the good weather this weekend.   Something happens and you change your mind PM me.   You’re not far and I don’t mind.

So my wife calls me at 2:00 saying she has a bad headache and feels nauseous. Coming home. Not like her one bit. Ok. Need me to pick you up? No. Ok. (She is the girl that drive home in a manual with a lis franc injury on her left foot. Like Ford truck manual. Not a bmw just touch the clutch and slap it into gear manual). Shes a tough cookie. She’s been home since 3 and passed out. Not known for migraines. BP was through the freaking roof. So I’ll just keep checking to make sure she’s breathing. I am starting to get worried though. Not like her in the least. And NO, I don’t think it is Corona.

You’ll see the ridge wallet advertised here. It’s a great wallet. The money clip just snapped off completely. I’ll check warranties and such. Was really happy with it until the clip broke. Knowing me, I’ll buy another. But damnit man. Hopefully they replace it.

We’re wondering about the warranty on your wife. Did she ever, you know, wake up?

(This post was last modified: 03-04-2020, 09:34 PM by Jags.)

(03-04-2020, 09:27 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: We’re wondering about the warranty on your wife. Did she ever, you know, wake up?

Unfortunately, she did.  But she makes more money than I do.  So it’s a wash I suppose.

She still isn’t right though.  So there’s hope.

(03-04-2020, 07:42 PM)Jags Wrote: So my wife calls me at 2:00 saying she has a bad headache and feels nauseous.  Coming home.  Not like her one bit.  Ok.  Need me to pick you up? No.  Ok.  (She is the girl that drive home in a manual with a lis franc injury on her left foot.  Like Ford truck manual.  Not a bmw just touch the clutch and slap it into gear manual). Shes a tough cookie.  She’s been home since 3 and passed out.  Not known for migraines.  BP was through the freaking roof.  So I’ll just keep checking to make sure she’s breathing.  I am starting to get worried though.  Not like her in the least.  And NO, I don’t think it is Corona.

Was she doing anything in particular when the headache started?

(03-05-2020, 02:03 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(03-04-2020, 07:42 PM)Jags Wrote: So my wife calls me at 2:00 saying she has a bad headache and feels nauseous.  Coming home.  Not like her one bit.  Ok.  Need me to pick you up? No.  Ok.  (She is the girl that drive home in a manual with a lis franc injury on her left foot.  Like Ford truck manual.  Not a bmw just touch the clutch and slap it into gear manual). Shes a tough cookie.  She’s been home since 3 and passed out.  Not known for migraines.  BP was through the freaking roof.  So I’ll just keep checking to make sure she’s breathing.  I am starting to get worried though.  Not like her in the least.  And NO, I don’t think it is Corona.

Was she doing anything in particular when the headache started?

She was working.  Sitting in her office in front of a computer.    I think it was a migraine.

Spent 3 glorious days un-plugged (for the most part) out in the middle of the woods.  No email, no television and no internet.  Sadly it's back to work tomorrow and back to the "connected" world.  At least it's a short work week.  I can't wait to get back out there next weekend and hop on a tractor.

(03-09-2020, 07:46 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Spent 3 glorious days un-plugged (for the most part) out in the middle of the woods.  No email, no television and no internet.  Sadly it's back to work tomorrow and back to the "connected" world.  At least it's a short work week.  I can't wait to get back out there next weekend and hop on a tractor.

I've been at the Mountain Retreat since Friday. Like you mostly unplugged without TV, but only a few work e-mails because of the Covid scare and my slumming here a bit. Today is our last full day, tomorrow we trek down the mountain back to the coast. I don't think my staff burned the office down while I was gone, but...well, maybe.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 03-10-2020, 04:57 PM by Jags.)

(03-09-2020, 07:46 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Spent 3 glorious days un-plugged (for the most part) out in the middle of the woods.  No email, no television and no internet.  Sadly it's back to work tomorrow and back to the "connected" world.  At least it's a short work week.  I can't wait to get back out there next weekend and hop on a tractor.

Sounds like fun.  I was stuck at home (HOA).  I tried to redneck it as much as possible.  Split some wood I acquired.  Set it up.  Paid for nice oak wood and got yelled at by wife for having a fire. (Uh, didn’t I find you in the boonies?)   She doesn’t like my daughter and I smelling like a fire.  Though, she didn’t complain about the food I cooked off it.  The rest of the weekend not so much outdoorsy.  Watched a few good movies on Netflix. Best I could do on Super Birthday Weekend.  

But we did narrow down our land search.  Decided to keep it in FL.

(This post was last modified: 03-10-2020, 05:36 PM by Jags.)

Rico,

Did you get to dispose of the rotten rounds and find your treasure underneath?   If you or a friend had a small trailer and a lawn tractor/four wheeler you can really expedite that process.  Just a thought.  As long as the drain field allowed access, of course.

(03-10-2020, 05:35 PM)Jags Wrote: Rico,

Did you get to dispose of the rotten rounds and find your treasure underneath?   If you or a friend had a small trailer and a lawn tractor/four wheeler you can really expedite that process.  Just a thought.  As long as the drain field allowed access, of course.

Nope.  Worked on other stuff and gave the yard the first good sprucing up for the year.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 03-11-2020, 05:49 PM by Jags.)

(03-11-2020, 07:19 AM)Rico Wrote:
(03-10-2020, 05:35 PM)Jags Wrote: Rico,

Nope.  Worked on other stuff and gave the yard the first good sprucing up for the year.

I explained the situation to my employee, a decent “kid” that lives nearby us.   He and I both been trying to get decent wood.  He’s willing to help out.  We don’t typically work on fridays.  Neither of us looking for money.  But he, would like to find some decent wood as well.  It’s on the table if interested.  If you’re looking to hire it, then I can give you a /load price.  We can work that out depending on how much good wood you’d like to part with.  If it’s a Friday thing, IDK how you’d know we took just the bad stuff to the dump though.  Saturday’s they close at 100 limiting the loads.  So, there’s that factor.

We decided to go to some of the in-laws and park our travel trailer. They just called, we’ll cook a hog and I had already committed myself to bring a bushel of oysters. Sounds like a good time. Until... I’m asked to slaughter the hog and clean it. Ok... ok.... sure, teach me. They taste really good. I was assured they don’t smell as bad as squirrels. Which I’ve cleaned a few times. TBH, I think I’m being tested. Whatever, bring it, I’ll pass your test

(This post was last modified: 03-11-2020, 08:51 PM by Jags.)

Saw a commercial for Kentucky Fried Chicken Doughnut sandwich.  Just advertise “Heart Attacks”.