Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Ode to "let's talk about" ll

(03-10-2022, 02:25 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-07-2022, 12:22 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I had a bowl of fabada while in Spain. I must learn make this wonderful dish.

It's hard to find fava beans anymore.  My Publix doesn't carry them.  They're tasty when you can find them though.  I would mix them up with diced tomato, parsley, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, serve cold.
You should try it with the liver.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-10-2022, 03:30 PM)Jags Wrote:
(03-10-2022, 02:25 PM)mikesez Wrote: It's hard to find fava beans anymore.  My Publix doesn't carry them.  They're tasty when you can find them though.  I would mix them up with diced tomato, parsley, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, serve cold.
You should try it with the liver.

Only if we wash it down with a nice Chianti.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(03-11-2022, 04:22 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-10-2022, 03:30 PM)Jags Wrote: You should try it with the liver.

Only if we wash it down with a nice Chianti.

Now your just making it weird SMH. I wasn’t talking about human liver.  

But… do you happen to have a good recipe I can try?

This is funny, I don't care who you are..........

[Image: EAR.jpg]
Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

Well, I'm in the office today for the first time in two solid years. It's just stupid. There's no reason to be here. The drive, as I assumed, sucked. It will be way worse when I leave this afternoon. This will not last long because if they don't make some kind on concession, I'm outta here.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(03-15-2022, 02:38 PM)RicoTx Wrote: Well, I'm in the office today for the first time in two solid years.  It's just stupid.  There's no reason to be here.  The drive, as I assumed, sucked.  It will be way worse when I leave this afternoon.  This will not last long because if they don't make some kind on concession, I'm outta here.

You’re not alone.  My wife is going through the same things.  I try to comfort her and tell her she has had a good 2 years of working from home and all.. “count yourself lucky”   but, like you, there really is no need for her to go back in. Sure, her traffic is better.  But, that company is running her into the ground mentally.   So many people have joined on and quit.   Many long term employees are leaving.   She’s at her wits end.  I kid you not, she’s ready to leave and work for me.  She’s willing to sing 2 cycles (or so she says…). or take a role on the office side and continue to grow the business.  Which puts me back into the labor part.  I’m not exactly against it if employees were readily available.  Corporate America sucks!  Kudos to those that can do it until retirement without dying from health issues first.  I’ve seen too many people go through it.  The higher you get, the more bull [BLEEP] and stress you have to deal with.  Good luck.

(03-15-2022, 06:20 PM)Jags Wrote:
(03-15-2022, 02:38 PM)RicoTx Wrote: Well, I'm in the office today for the first time in two solid years.  It's just stupid.  There's no reason to be here.  The drive, as I assumed, sucked.  It will be way worse when I leave this afternoon.  This will not last long because if they don't make some kind on concession, I'm outta here.

You’re not alone.  My wife is going through the same things.  I try to comfort her and tell her she has had a good 2 years of working from home and all.. “count yourself lucky”   but, like you, there really is no need for her to go back in. Sure, her traffic is better.  But, that company is running her into the ground mentally.   So many people have joined on and quit.   Many long term employees are leaving.   She’s at her wits end.  I kid you not, she’s ready to leave and work for me.  She’s willing to sing 2 cycles (or so she says…). or take a role on the office side and continue to grow the business.  Which puts me back into the labor part.  I’m not exactly against it if employees were readily available.  Corporate America sucks!  Kudos to those that can do it until retirement without dying from health issues first.  I’ve seen too many people go through it.  The higher you get, the more bull [BLEEP] and stress you have to deal with.  Good luck.

Well, one thing that I've got going for me...the consulting compant that I worked with for 15ish years called me out of the blue last Thursday.  The only reason I had left them was the travel.  I left on good terms and have kept in touch with the owner.  He said he had a couple of opportunities he'd like to talk to me about.

I haven't worked with them for almost ten years.  I told him the only way I'd want to talk about it is if they were fully remote.  So, long story short, I have a gig at Highmark of South Carolina and I can work out of the house.  Only thing is...and I wouldn't even call it a problem...is the project won't start up until the end of April.  I'm just trying to decide when to quit rhe current job.  I'm starting to lean towards giving my notice and taking some time off...6 or 7 weeks.  It'll be a 'practice retirement'.

I only wanted something to get me to the end of the year, and then retire.  Of course I didn't tell him that.  Then again, if it's a decent project and I like it I may stay on longer.  What the hell, I'll be at home.  But who knows, if I handle the six weeks off OK I might just say screw it, and retire.

Best part is, I'm pirating a couple of guys from the current job and I'll get a referral bonus from both.

I'll let everything sort itself out.  But I can't see too many more drives in.  [BLEEP], I ducked out two hours early today.  At this point I don't give a damn if they can me.

(03-15-2022, 06:36 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(03-15-2022, 06:20 PM)Jags Wrote: You’re not alone.  My wife is going through the same things.  I try to comfort her and tell her she has had a good 2 years of working from home and all.. “count yourself lucky”   but, like you, there really is no need for her to go back in. Sure, her traffic is better.  But, that company is running her into the ground mentally.   So many people have joined on and quit.   Many long term employees are leaving.   She’s at her wits end.  I kid you not, she’s ready to leave and work for me.  She’s willing to sing 2 cycles (or so she says…). or take a role on the office side and continue to grow the business.  Which puts me back into the labor part.  I’m not exactly against it if employees were readily available.  Corporate America sucks!  Kudos to those that can do it until retirement without dying from health issues first.  I’ve seen too many people go through it.  The higher you get, the more bull [BLEEP] and stress you have to deal with.  Good luck.

Well, one thing that I've got going for me...the consulting compant that I worked with for 15ish years called me out of the blue last Thursday.  The only reason I had left them was the travel.  I left on good terms and have kept in touch with the owner.  He said he had a couple of opportunities he'd like to talk to me about.

I haven't worked with them for almost ten years.  I told him the only way I'd want to talk about it is if they were fully remote.  So, long story short, I have a gig at Highmark of South Carolina and I can work out of the house.  Only thing is...and I wouldn't even call it a problem...is the project won't start up until the end of April.  I'm just trying to decide when to quit rhe current job.  I'm starting to lean towards giving my notice and taking some time off...6 or 7 weeks.  It'll be a 'practice retirement'.

I only wanted something to get me to the end of the year, and then retire.  Of course I didn't tell him that.  Then again, if it's a decent project and I like it I may stay on longer.  What the hell, I'll be at home.  But who knows, if I handle the six weeks off OK I might just say screw it, and retire.

Best part is, I'm pirating a couple of guys from the current job and I'll get a referral bonus from both.

I'll let everything sort itself out.  But I can't see too many more drives in.  [BLEEP], I ducked out two hours early today.  At this point I don't give a damn if they can me.

Nice to know you have the one job in the back pocket.  As long as you can swing it, I say enjoy that 6-7 weeks as much as possible.  Go golfing or whatever it is.  I know you’re not stupid.  Big decisions to be made in the “stick and stay/make it pay” vs getting out while you can and enjoy life.  Seeing others go through similar scenarios, I just advise you take your health into consideration.  Seen/heard about too many croak trying to get that extra year/ or wish they did an extra one or two for financial reasons. But….I’m sure you already know that and your kids probably talking you into one or the other.  Best of luck on all the decision making.

(03-15-2022, 07:14 PM)Jags Wrote:
(03-15-2022, 06:36 PM)RicoTx Wrote: Well, one thing that I've got going for me...the consulting compant that I worked with for 15ish years called me out of the blue last Thursday.  The only reason I had left them was the travel.  I left on good terms and have kept in touch with the owner.  He said he had a couple of opportunities he'd like to talk to me about.

Nice to know you have the one job in the back pocket.  As long as you can swing it, I say enjoy that 6-7 weeks as much as possible.  Go golfing or whatever it is.  I know you’re not stupid.  Big decisions to be made in the “stick and stay/make it pay” vs getting out while you can and enjoy life.  Seeing others go through similar scenarios, I just advise you take your health into consideration.  Seen/heard about too many croak trying to get that extra year/ or wish they did an extra one or two for financial reasons. But….I’m sure you already know that and your kids probably talking you into one or the other.  Best of luck on all the decision making.

Took my last three days of PTO on Thursday, Friday and Monday.  Didn't want to lose the days that I had earned.  I'll talk to my manager and turn in my resignation on Tuesday when I get back.  I'll tell them the end of March but they have a tendency to let IT guys go immediately when they turn in their two weeks and just pay them.  We'll see what happens from there.

(03-15-2022, 12:32 PM)The Drifter Wrote: This is funny, I don't care who you are..........

[Image: EAR.jpg]

Friends, Romans, Evander, lend me your ears.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(03-16-2022, 03:31 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(03-15-2022, 07:14 PM)Jags Wrote: Nice to know you have the one job in the back pocket.  As long as you can swing it, I say enjoy that 6-7 weeks as much as possible.  Go golfing or whatever it is.  I know you’re not stupid.  Big decisions to be made in the “stick and stay/make it pay” vs getting out while you can and enjoy life.  Seeing others go through similar scenarios, I just advise you take your health into consideration.  Seen/heard about too many croak trying to get that extra year/ or wish they did an extra one or two for financial reasons. But….I’m sure you already know that and your kids probably talking you into one or the other.  Best of luck on all the decision making.

Took my last three days of PTO on Thursday, Friday and Monday.  Didn't want to lose the days that I had earned.  I'll talk to my manager and turn in my resignation on Tuesday when I get back.  I'll tell them the end of March but they have a tendency to let IT guys go immediately when they turn in their two weeks and just pay them.  We'll see what happens from there.
Best of luck to you.  I’m sure, one way or the other, it’ll work out.  Congrats on your retirement!

A year later, I finally checked out the Buc-ee’s. If I was passing through, that would be a great place to stretch the legs and get a bite. Waaay too busy for my liking. Had to get the brisket sandwich and jerky I heard so much about. The sandwich was good. I wouldn’t write home about it or make a special trip for it. But I also wasn’t complaining. Seemed on par with what you’d get at a food truck or at a fair. Haven’t tried the jerky yet. I’m sure I will like it. Overall, I was impressed by its size, some of the name brand stuff they had for sale. Unless I didn’t see it all… I was surprised by the lack of food options. Seems like a well stocked gate or RaceTrac have more options. Perhaps I’m being too picky. Cool place. Not sure that crowd is worth heading back to.

(03-19-2022, 05:19 PM)Jags Wrote: A year later, I finally checked out the Buc-ee’s.  If I was passing through, that would be a great place to stretch the legs and get a bite.  Waaay too busy for my liking.  Had to get the brisket sandwich and jerky I heard so much about.  The sandwich was good.    I wouldn’t write home about it or make a special trip for it.  But I also wasn’t complaining.  Seemed on par with what you’d get at a food truck or at a fair.  Haven’t tried the jerky yet.  I’m sure I will like it.  Overall,  I was impressed by its size, some of the name brand stuff they had for sale. Unless I didn’t see it all… I was surprised by the lack of food options.  Seems like a well stocked gate or RaceTrac have more options.  Perhaps I’m being too picky.  Cool place.  Not sure that crowd is worth heading back to.

The only thing I find impressive is the size.  The food is good for a "convenience store", but nothing I'd go out of my way for.  The brisket can't compare to a real smokehouse (like Bono's).  Gas is usually competitive, which is what I stop for.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(This post was last modified: 03-19-2022, 06:36 PM by Jags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(03-19-2022, 06:15 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(03-19-2022, 05:19 PM)Jags Wrote: A year later, I finally checked out the Buc-ee’s.  If I was passing through, that would be a great place to stretch the legs and get a bite.  Waaay too busy for my liking.  Had to get the brisket sandwich and jerky I heard so much about.  The sandwich was good.    I wouldn’t write home about it or make a special trip for it.  But I also wasn’t complaining.  Seemed on par with what you’d get at a food truck or at a fair.  Haven’t tried the jerky yet.  I’m sure I will like it.  Overall,  I was impressed by its size, some of the name brand stuff they had for sale. Unless I didn’t see it all… I was surprised by the lack of food options.  Seems like a well stocked gate or RaceTrac have more options.  Perhaps I’m being too picky.  Cool place.  Not sure that crowd is worth heading back to.

The only thing I find impressive is the size.  The food is good for a "convenience store", but nothing I'd go out of my way for.  The brisket can't compare to a real smokehouse (like Bono's).  Gas is usually competitive, which is what I stop for.
I’m actually glad to hear this.  After all the hype I’ve heard I was excited.  But I wasn’t blown away with anything.   I hate crowds.  With a passion!   And I got ok good food and had to elbow my way through to get to it.  I didn’t want to sound like a spoiled brat.  But at least a good Gate or RaceTrac would offer decent to “doable” pizza and roller foods, or empanadas or what not.  I won’t say what we call the roller food in the truck for fear of a ban.  But I wasn’t really impressed overall.

Well things are finally starting to calm down again in my life.. Got all my stitches and staples out and everything is finally starting to heal. My donor sites are healing up from the skin grafts and my wounds are looking great!! I'm almost literally bathing in lubriderm now from the itching haha, but i'll take it, the wife gives me good scratchins..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(03-19-2022, 10:02 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: Well things are finally starting to calm down again in my life.. Got all my stitches and staples out and everything is finally starting to heal. My donor sites are healing up from the skin grafts and my wounds are looking great!! I'm almost literally bathing in lubriderm now from the itching haha, but i'll take it, the wife gives me good scratchins..

So no more Frankenstein looking leg?
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(03-20-2022, 02:27 AM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(03-19-2022, 10:02 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: Well things are finally starting to calm down again in my life.. Got all my stitches and staples out and everything is finally starting to heal. My donor sites are healing up from the skin grafts and my wounds are looking great!! I'm almost literally bathing in lubriderm now from the itching haha, but i'll take it, the wife gives me good scratchins..

So no more Frankenstein looking leg?

Scars, baby!!

Chicks dig scars.. or is that out of style now?
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

I hate the cycle u go thru when ur team losses

Anger

Frustration

Acceptance

Grief

Mid week hope

Excitement

Repeat 10 fold until they win

(03-20-2022, 07:06 AM)StrayaJag Wrote: I hate the cycle u go thru when ur team losses

Anger

Frustration

Acceptance

Grief

Mid week hope

Excitement

Repeat 10 fold until they win

We, uh, kinda wrote the book on that.

(03-20-2022, 03:53 AM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(03-20-2022, 02:27 AM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: So no more Frankenstein looking leg?

Scars, baby!!

Chicks dig scars.. or is that out of style now?

Scars are never out of style.