Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Trivial Annoyances Thread

(02-27-2018, 03:06 PM)DarloJAG84 Wrote:
(02-25-2018, 12:26 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: If only that were true.   Unfortunately, I do this completely sober.

How, and more importantly, why?!

How and why what?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 03-02-2018, 07:22 PM by homebiscuit.)

When you're walking towards a piece of equipment at the gym and just before you get to it, someone steps in. And while we're at the gym, people, usually women, who dial in max incline on a treadmill and then proceed to pull themselves all the way forward using the hand grips. Now they're completely counteracting the intended effects of the incline.

(03-02-2018, 05:17 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: When you're walking towards a piece of equipment at the gym and just before you get to it, someone steps in.  And while we're at the gym, people, usually women, who dial in max incline on a treadmill and then proceed to pull themselves all the way forward using the hand grips. Now they're completely counteracting the intended effects of the incline.

What's a gym?
[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...

(03-03-2018, 04:41 AM)DarloJAG84 Wrote:
(03-02-2018, 05:17 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: When you're walking towards a piece of equipment at the gym and just before you get to it, someone steps in.  And while we're at the gym, people, usually women, who dial in max incline on a treadmill and then proceed to pull themselves all the way forward using the hand grips. Now they're completely counteracting the intended effects of the incline.

What's a gym?

A place of drudgery and pain. It differs from marriage by the fact that there is no alcohol. I have no idea why I go there.

(03-03-2018, 08:29 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(03-03-2018, 04:41 AM)DarloJAG84 Wrote: What's a gym?

A place of drudgery and pain. It differs from marriage by the fact that there is no alcohol. I have no idea why I go there.

Yeah sounds like a massive waste of time..

(03-03-2018, 08:29 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(03-03-2018, 04:41 AM)DarloJAG84 Wrote: What's a gym?

It's true, pretty much nobody talks to me there either.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

(03-03-2018, 10:05 PM)PF* Wrote:
(03-03-2018, 08:29 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: A place of drudgery and pain. It differs from marriage by the fact that there is no alcohol. I have no idea why I go there.

It's true, pretty much nobody talks to me there either.

Just there?

Going to a packed restaurant and waiting 20 minutes to be seated. but wait for it...the host/hostess walks you to your table only to ask, "Is this table going to work for you tonight?" Um, no I'd like to go back and wait another 20 minutes for that other dimly lit table in the corner under the air vent!
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

The waitress that says either, "Outstanding" or "You got it" after each order.

(03-06-2018, 07:35 PM)PF* Wrote: The waitress that says either, "Outstanding" or "You got it" after each order.

I think the most overused phrase in the service industry right now is "absolutely".
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

When did the term ‘price point’ become so trendy? Whatever happened to simply saying price?

Online surveys.

You can't order anything online anymore without getting asked to complete a survey or getting emailed a survey.

As if I don't get enough [BLEEP] in my personal email.

(03-07-2018, 07:12 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: When did the term ‘price point’ become so trendy? Whatever happened to simply saying price?

MBAs gotta justify the cost of grad school somehow. Usually it's new words for existing things.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(03-06-2018, 07:53 PM)Rico Wrote:
(03-06-2018, 07:35 PM)PF* Wrote: The waitress that says either, "Outstanding" or "You got it" after each order.

I think the most overused phrase in the service industry right now is "absolutely".

Yes, I absolutely forgot that one.

(03-07-2018, 01:59 PM)PF* Wrote:
(03-06-2018, 07:53 PM)Rico Wrote: I think the most overused phrase in the service industry right now is "absolutely".

Yes, I absolutely forgot that one.

Outstanding.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(03-06-2018, 09:55 AM)B2hibry Wrote: Going to a packed restaurant and waiting 20 minutes to be seated. but wait for it...the host/hostess walks you to your table only to ask, "Is this table going to work for you tonight?" Um, no I'd like to go back and wait another 20 minutes for that other dimly lit table in the corner under the air vent!

My wife and I have this conversation often.

We'll go to a restaurant and when the host/hostess asks if the table is suitable, my wife will take a moment to look at it and, if necessary, change to a different table should there be one available.

Whereas I'm in the "I couldn't care less where we sit, as long as I order food and you bring me food" category.

(03-07-2018, 07:12 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: When did the term ‘price point’ become so trendy? Whatever happened to simply saying price?

Active shooter. If a shooter becomes inactive, don't they cease being a shooter?

(03-06-2018, 07:53 PM)Rico Wrote:

Good ones.

I'm also hearing "perfect!" a lot, both at work and in services.  I've also noticed some servers are also appropriating "my pleasure" from Chick-fil-A (or maybe it's just they got their start in the industry there and it stuck.)

One of my peeves:

"I know, right?"

If you are certain, then why are you seeking validation by asking others?
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

The word "awesome" had a nice 10-15 year run and has largely been replaced by the word "amazing".
Everything is "amazing".

"Do you read the Jags Message Board?"
Yes, it's amazing."

For some reason, probably buried in my childhood, the term "Folks" also bugs me. Amazing.

(03-09-2018, 09:30 AM)PF* Wrote: The word "awesome" had a nice 10-15 year run and has largely been replaced by the word "amazing".
Everything is "amazing".

"Do you read the Jags Message Board?"
Yes, it's amazing."

For some reason, probably buried in my childhood, the term "Folks" also bugs me. Amazing.

"Have a good one" rankles me.

And I hate being rankled.