Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Trivial Annoyances Thread

(12-16-2019, 06:28 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(12-16-2019, 05:11 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Why it takes my wife at least 30 seconds to get out of the truck whenever we drive somewhere, regardless of how far - across town or across the parking lot.

How long is she supposed to take?

Almost immediately, preferably.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-16-2019, 06:28 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(12-16-2019, 05:11 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Why it takes my wife at least 30 seconds to get out of the truck whenever we drive somewhere, regardless of how far - across town or across the parking lot.

How long is she supposed to take?

We‘ve arrived at our destination.  Just get out.  Why did we go to wherever we just drove to if you want to stay in the car?  Move woman!

my topical contribution:

approaching the holidays with the mentality of "our family is buying gifts for you, so here's some things you can get for us" disgusts me. That's not how 'gift' works.

I've become much more attuned to anxiety causing my hostility over the past year. I've noticed panic attacks where I feel trapped into a compulsion from someone else's norms without means of extracting myself from the mandate. Sometimes this is attending a crowded event. Sometimes it's something stupid like going along with a family Halloween costume when you really don't feel comfortable being dressed up. Sometimes it's being judged over whether your gift is timely, or comparable to that given to you in return. I've learned to opt out rather than forcing myself into the equivalent of a pit of serpents. I still can't help but feel the judgment for not going along with the flow.

I apologize if this is not trivial. It is therapeutic, though. Sorry for distracting from the airing of wife-related grievances.

(12-17-2019, 03:05 PM)Mikey Wrote: my topical contribution:

approaching the holidays with the mentality of "our family is buying gifts for you, so here's some things you can get for us" disgusts me. That's not how 'gift' works.

I've become much more attuned to anxiety causing my hostility over the past year. I've noticed panic attacks where I feel trapped into a compulsion from someone else's norms without means of extracting myself from the mandate. Sometimes this is attending a crowded event. Sometimes it's something stupid like going along with a family Halloween costume when you really don't feel comfortable being dressed up. Sometimes it's being judged over whether your gift is timely, or comparable to that given to you in return. I've learned to opt out rather than forcing myself into the equivalent of a pit of serpents. I still can't help but feel the judgment for not going along with the flow.

I apologize if this is not trivial. It is therapeutic, though. Sorry for distracting from the airing of wife-related grievances.
Don’t worry about being a distraction.  I too have fought anxiety at one point in my life.  About 5 years ago.  I don’t wish that upon my worst enemy. Luckily when my wife gave birth to my daughter it seemed to almost completely go away.      And being hostile, [BLEEP] man,  preaching to the choir.   So don’t even worry about distracting us from complaining about our wives.  If the anxiety is bad, seek help.  If you want you can pm me.  I know there are different types.  Idk how relative mine was to yours.  But would be happy to offer suggestions/support.

(12-17-2019, 03:05 PM)Mikey Wrote: my topical contribution:

I've become much more attuned to anxiety causing my hostility over the past year. I've noticed panic attacks where I feel trapped into a compulsion from someone else's norms without means of extracting myself from the mandate. Sometimes this is attending a crowded event. Sometimes it's something stupid like going along with a family Halloween costume when you really don't feel comfortable being dressed up. Sometimes it's being judged over whether your gift is timely, or comparable to that given to you in return. I've learned to opt out rather than forcing myself into the equivalent of a pit of serpents. I still can't help but feel the judgment for not going along with the flow.

I've lived with anxiety my whole life. At one point it was pretty horrific. It's managed now with a complete change in life and Xanax during the more stressful times of the year or anytime I have to shop at Hellmart or Lowe's. I

My in-laws do the "draw a name and spend $25 on who you drew" but they all still buy everyone a few gifts. This makes it absurdly awkward for me and my husband who spend $25 on each person we drew and something for each other and that's it for his family. Especially when we all have to sit around and open the gifts one at a time and say who they're from so our names only get called out twice for gifts we bought. I hate it because it makes me feel super uncomfortable even though it's what we all should be doing. But I won't cave to the pressure. No one actually pressures us but we still feel it. 

I don't go with the flow with most things and I'm at an age now (47) that I don't care more often than not. It's all temporary anyway.

When you're telling a joke and someone blurts out the punchline before you're finished.

When your friend insists on telling the same...exact...(supposedly funny) story to dozens of people and you're around for each iteration.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(12-18-2019, 10:00 AM)Rico Wrote: When your friend insists on telling the same...exact...(supposedly funny) story to dozens of people and you're around for each iteration.

We have some family friends that are like this.

Daughter: Tell them the story about [thing we've all heard every time this topic comes up]
Mom: [Same story we've always heard with magnanimous hyperbole to overemphasize mundane thing]
mikey, internally: [sideshow bob grumble.wav]

oh yeah, there's ONE new person in the group. I guess they hadn't heard that story before. Next time, I'll save you the effort and tell it for you, storytime family.

(12-18-2019, 10:00 AM)Rico Wrote: When your friend insists on telling the same...exact...(supposedly funny) story to dozens of people and you're around for each iteration.

Hahaha.  Very good.  But it wasn't like that.  I think.

(This post was last modified: 12-18-2019, 11:17 AM by RicoTx.)

(12-18-2019, 10:51 AM)Mikey Wrote:

We have some family friends that are like this.

Daughter: Tell them the story about [thing we've all heard every time this topic comes up]
Mom: [Same story we've always heard with magnanimous hyperbole to overemphasize mundane thing]
mikey, internally: [sideshow bob grumble.wav]

oh yeah, there's ONE new person in the group. I guess they hadn't heard that story before. Next time, I'll save you the effort and tell it for you, storytime family.

Precisely....it only takes one for him to burst into the story.  The last couple of times I just walked away rather than repeating it to myself.  

Only it doesn't take any prompting for him to tell the story.

(12-18-2019, 10:58 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

Hahaha.  Very good.  But it wasn't like that.  I think.

No accusation/relation.  You just reminded me of my annoyance (because it happened again last night).

I’ve got a family member that tells the same story over and over again. But he just recently got old. So I let it slide. Or, I just tell him “”yeah, you told me that last week” then insert some sort of info that proves in fact he told me. Occasionally, he’ll follow up with more of the story. I let that slide as well due to him recently becoming old. In that case, I stop listening and “wait for my time to talk”. Usually at that time I’ll try to change the subject. “Hey look!!!! An airplane!”

My uncle has been reciting the same dozen stories to me for 30 years.

(12-18-2019, 07:24 PM)Jags Wrote: I’ve got a family member that tells the same story over and over again.  But he just recently got old.   So I let it slide.  Or, I just tell him “”yeah, you told me that last week” then insert some sort of info that proves in fact he told me.  Occasionally, he’ll follow up with more of the story.   I let that slide as well due to him recently becoming old.   In that case, I stop listening and “wait for my time to talk”.  Usually at that time I’ll try to change the subject.  “Hey look!!!!   An airplane!”

How does one 'recently become old'? Like, did he turn 65 and all of a sudden he's officially old?

[Image: ShamelessUntimelyBlacklemur-size_restricted.gif]

(12-18-2019, 11:24 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(12-18-2019, 07:24 PM)Jags Wrote: I’ve got a family member that tells the same story over and over again.  But he just recently got old.   So I let it slide.  Or, I just tell him “”yeah, you told me that last week” then insert some sort of info that proves in fact he told me.  Occasionally, he’ll follow up with more of the story.   I let that slide as well due to him recently becoming old.   In that case, I stop listening and “wait for my time to talk”.  Usually at that time I’ll try to change the subject.  “Hey look!!!!   An airplane!”

How does one 'recently become old'? Like, did he turn 65 and all of a sudden he's officially old?

No.  He’s in his 70’s.  I kid when I say recently got old.  He used to not retell stories.  Then started the “Did I tell you about...?”

(This post was last modified: 12-20-2019, 08:36 AM by RicoTx.)

This girl has (mis-) used "literally" so many times this morning I'm literally going to go over and literally say something to her if I hear it too many more times.  Literally.

I have three packages in transit right now, more than likely not a single one will arrive before Christmas.

(12-23-2019, 02:52 PM)ODragonFury Wrote: I have three packages in transit right now, more than likely not a single one will arrive before Christmas.

And whose fault is that?

When someone tells a lengthy (usually boring) story, after about 10 minutes they say "long story short" I want to yell "It's way too late for that!".
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(12-23-2019, 05:35 PM)rollerjag Wrote: When someone tells a lengthy (usually boring) story, after about 10 minutes they say "long story short" I want to yell "It's way too late for that!".

I once worked with a guy who had no qualms, whatsoever, about blurting out "Is this going to be a long story?" if the person began to sound long-winded.