Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Trivial Annoyances Thread

(11-06-2020, 07:10 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(11-05-2020, 06:10 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Saw an ad for a piece of equipment I've been searching for. Walked into the business and asked what they run. 

Guy looked at me and said I'd have to find one used because they haven't made them since the 90s. 

Oooooooooooookay.

I’m a little confused. Were they advertising something they didn’t have or were you reading a really old newspaper?

They have a full page ad on the back cover of the Oct 2020 issue of https://americanvineyardmagazine.com/

The pic I posted was the ad. https://ibb.co/CPvNJ0w

I was pretty confused to lol.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-06-2020, 01:48 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(11-06-2020, 07:10 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I’m a little confused. Were they advertising something they didn’t have or were you reading a really old newspaper?

They have a full page ad on the back cover of the Oct 2020 issue of https://americanvineyardmagazine.com/

I'll admit it, I went straight to the centerfold.

(11-06-2020, 01:54 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(11-06-2020, 01:48 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: They have a full page ad on the back cover of the Oct 2020 issue of https://americanvineyardmagazine.com/

I'll admit it, I went straight to the centerfold. before telling wife, "I didn't look at the pictures!  Honest, I just bought it for the articles."

When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

That’s one sexy machine there.

Is that the only route you’ve got? Are there other manufacturers? I heard of many people taking one piece of equipment and modify it to do what they need it to since they don’t make many or any equipment their searching for. Idk how common that is that you’re looking for.

(11-06-2020, 01:54 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(11-06-2020, 01:48 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: They have a full page ad on the back cover of the Oct 2020 issue of https://americanvineyardmagazine.com/

I'll admit it, I went straight to the centerfold.

Rubired always gets me going too.

We had to travel one and a half hours to one of my in-laws house. My wife drove and in her vehicle. Intermittent rain throughout. I swear, this chick checked so many boxes on my list.
1. Following too closely
2. Not using wipers at high enough speed to see
3. Speeding while in slick conditions
4. Giving me a coronary while doing 1-3 above

5. We didn’t eat breakfast, she stops at the local mom and pop grocery’s. Asks me what I wanted to “tie me over”. As a man that’s eaten plenty gas station food, I say,, “whatever, a slice of pizza sausage biscuit, whatever”
She reminds me we’re in po-dunk central. Okay. Pack of crackers or a bag of chips. Doesn’t matter. She asks If I want various stuff I never eat.

Pack of crackers or some chips will do.

After 20+ years of knowing this woman, she comes back with a freaking honey bun and lance PB crackers! Seriously? Have you ever witnessed me eat a freaking honey bun? And you ought to know I prefer the cheese by now!

Remind me again, why did I marry you?

(11-07-2020, 07:53 PM)Jags Wrote: We had to travel one and a half hours to one of my in-laws house.  My wife drove and in her vehicle.  Intermittent rain throughout.  I swear, this chick checked so many boxes on my list.
1. Following too closely

5. We didn’t eat breakfast, she stops at the local mom and pop grocery’s.  Asks me what I wanted to “tie me over”.  As a man that’s eaten plenty gas station food, I say,, “whatever, a slice of pizza sausage biscuit, whatever”
She reminds me we’re in po-dunk central.  Okay. Pack of crackers or a bag of chips.  Doesn’t matter. She asks If I want various stuff I never eat.  

After 20+ years of knowing this woman, she comes back with a freaking honey bun and lance PB crackers!   Seriously?  Have you ever witnessed me eat a freaking honey bun?  And you ought to know I prefer the cheese by now!

I guessing she didn't give you a "reminder" right there in the parking lot in broad daylight.

(11-06-2020, 05:16 PM)Jags Wrote: That’s one sexy machine there.

Is that the only route you’ve got? Are there other manufacturers?  I heard of many people  taking one piece of equipment and modify it to do what they need it to since they don’t make many or any equipment  their searching for.   Idk how common that is that you’re looking for.

There's plenty of routes but I'm basically trying to strike the best balance between water usage, production (plant spacing), and ease of harvest. 

The 225k harvest machine will allow me to fully maximize the other two areas but I could also narrow the trellis structure, give away some production, and get away with a 60k machine. But over the next 20 years which would be better off?

The UC people are encouraging me to not use a trellis at all and cut the row spacing in half. That would solve the equipment troubles but I'm fearful of the amount of water that would need over the next 20 years. 

They developed a new grape variety about 4 years ago so all this is pretty new. We have some pruning methods established but don't have good production data for this grape so I'm basically guestimating the largest piece of the puzzle. Oh, and I'm also going to put them on a rootstock no one has used before. And I'll only get one shot at it  Sad

(11-07-2020, 08:59 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(11-07-2020, 07:53 PM)Jags Wrote: We had to travel one and a half hours to one of my in-laws house.  My wife drove and in her vehicle.  Intermittent rain throughout.  I swear, this chick checked so many boxes on my list.
1. Following too closely

5. We didn’t eat breakfast, she stops at the local mom and pop grocery’s.  Asks me what I wanted to “tie me over”.  As a man that’s eaten plenty gas station food, I say,, “whatever, a slice of pizza sausage biscuit, whatever”
She reminds me we’re in po-dunk central.  Okay. Pack of crackers or a bag of chips.  Doesn’t matter. She asks If I want various stuff I never eat.  

After 20+ years of knowing this woman, she comes back with a freaking honey bun and lance PB crackers!   Seriously?  Have you ever witnessed me eat a freaking honey bun?  And you ought to know I prefer the cheese by now!

I guessing she didn't give you a "reminder" right there in the parking lot in broad daylight.

Sadly, no.  No allowance for her this week.  SMH

(11-08-2020, 02:25 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(11-06-2020, 05:16 PM)Jags Wrote: That’s one sexy machine there.

Is that the only route you’ve got? Are there other manufacturers?  I heard of many people  taking one piece of equipment and modify it to do what they need it to since they don’t make many or any equipment  their searching for.   Idk how common that is that you’re looking for.

There's plenty of routes but I'm basically trying to strike the best balance between water usage, production (plant spacing), and ease of harvest. 

The 225k harvest machine will allow me to fully maximize the other two areas but I could also narrow the trellis structure, give away some production, and get away with a 60k machine. But over the next 20 years which would be better off?

The UC people are encouraging me to not use a trellis at all and cut the row spacing in half. That would solve the equipment troubles but I'm fearful of the amount of water that would need over the next 20 years. 

They developed a new grape variety about 4 years ago so all this is pretty new. We have some pruning methods established but don't have good production data for this grape so I'm basically guestimating the largest piece of the puzzle. Oh, and I'm also going to put them on a rootstock no one has used before. And I'll only get one shot at it  Sad

I see the dilemma.  Tough spot to be put in.  I’ve had similar decisions but only on the scale of whether to go with a 52” vs 48”.  Believe it or not, was a tough decision back then.  I knew the 52 would create more lawns(backyards with gates) I needed my  walk behind 36”.  I ended up replacing both.  That way we can fly by on the open lawns and big gated backyards and have an easier time when the “little mower” was needed.  But your stuff is on a much bigger scale and seems like more variables to mess up.  Livelihood at stake on that one, potentially.  I don’t envy the decision.  But I’m sure you’ll figure it out and make the right moves.  Best of luck with that.

(11-08-2020, 08:21 PM)Jags Wrote:
(11-08-2020, 02:25 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: There's plenty of routes but I'm basically trying to strike the best balance between water usage, production (plant spacing), and ease of harvest. 

I see the dilemma.  Tough spot to be put in.  I’ve had similar decisions but only on the scale of whether to go with a 52” vs 48”.  Believe it or not, was a tough decision back then.  I knew the 52 would create more lawns(backyards with gates) I needed my  walk behind 36”.  I ended up replacing both.  That way we can fly by on the open lawns and big gated backyards and have an easier time when the “little mower” was needed.  But your stuff is on a much bigger scale and seems like more variables to mess up.  Livelihood at stake on that one, potentially.  I don’t envy the decision.  But I’m sure you’ll figure it out and make the right moves.  Best of luck with that.

Yep, pretty much same kind of dilemma but even if I don't figure out a perfect solution it will be a giant leap forward from what I'm doing now. Thanks for the well wishes, when I figure it out maybe I'll start a thread about it.

My wife and MiL spent over an hour on hold yesterday calling multiple stores in the area for a specific variety of cookie.

They could have driven to all the stores and checked for themselves in that time, or just ordered them on Amazon.

Cripes, they are both great bakers, they could have made their own cookies.

(This post was last modified: 11-12-2020, 12:50 PM by homebiscuit.)

Not being able to watch The Masters because of viewing rights. Nothing is showing on the Golf Channel, which would make sense, right? Nope. Their ‘full coverage’ just means analysis without showing any golf because ESPN owns the rights and they won’t start airing until 1:00 when all the showcase groups are finished playing. It’s all so stupid.

Ha! I found a stream that I’m casting onto my big screen. It’s better because no announcers. Just the sounds of golf.

I know how excited you all are.

(11-12-2020, 12:13 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Not being able to watch The Masters because of viewing rights. Nothing is showing on the Golf Channel, which would make sense, right? Nope. Their ‘full coverage’ just means analysis without showing any golf because ESPN owns the rights and they won’t start airing until 1:00 when all the showcase groups are finished playing. It’s all so stupid.

Ha! I found a stream that I’m casting onto my big screen. It’s better because no announcers. Just the sounds of golf.

The masters app/masters.com broadcast before ESPN started was great.

CBSsports.com has similar groups showing but had Michelle Wie commentating and she was horrendous.  Go search her name on Twitter, she was getting roasted.

(11-12-2020, 03:13 PM)KingIngram052787 Wrote:
(11-12-2020, 12:13 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Not being able to watch The Masters because of viewing rights. Nothing is showing on the Golf Channel, which would make sense, right? Nope. Their ‘full coverage’ just means analysis without showing any golf because ESPN owns the rights and they won’t start airing until 1:00 when all the showcase groups are finished playing. It’s all so stupid.

CBSsports.com has similar groups showing but had Michelle Wie commentating and she was horrendous.  Go search her name on Twitter, she was getting roasted.

Probably the same stream as the link through golfchannel.com.

I thought Michelle Wie was annoying as a golfer. Listening to her commenting is unimaginable. 

Bones Mackay found his second calling, huh?

(11-12-2020, 03:29 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(11-12-2020, 03:13 PM)KingIngram052787 Wrote: The masters app/masters.com broadcast before ESPN started was great.

Probably the same stream as the link through golfchannel.com.

I thought Michelle Wie was annoying as a golfer. Listening to her commenting is unimaginable. 

Bones Mackay found his second calling, huh?

Bones is great

(11-12-2020, 03:13 PM)KingIngram052787 Wrote:

Michelle is still obviously learning the ropes. 

Rory McIlroy hit what he thought was a bad shot and said "Oh [excrement]! Oh [excrement]! Oh [excrement]!" 

Apparently the networks aren't blanking this out on delayed feed because it came through. The experienced commentators quickly picked up on it and tried to talk over it. After the shot landed followed by a moment of silence, Michelle chimed in, "He thought it was going to be a bad shot as many times as he said [excrement]."

I can see Nick Faldo shaking his finger and saying "No, Michelle, we don't do that." I'm sure the production van had some words for her, as well.

(11-13-2020, 12:03 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(11-12-2020, 03:13 PM)KingIngram052787 Wrote: The masters app/masters.com broadcast before ESPN started was great.

Michelle is still obviously learning the ropes. 

Rory McIlroy hit what he thought was a bad shot and said "Oh [excrement]! Oh [excrement]! Oh [excrement]!" 

Apparently the networks aren't blanking this out on delayed feed because it came through. The experienced commentators quickly picked up on it and tried to talk over it. After the shot landed followed by a moment of silence, Michelle chimed in, "He thought it was going to be a bad shot as many times as he said [excrement]."

I can see Nick Faldo shaking his finger and saying "No, Michelle, we don't do that." I'm sure the production van had some words for her, as well.

LOL, that's funny I missed that.  Faldo would say "My God, Michelle, that was dreadful."

Waking up at 3:30 am.  After laying there for half an hour, trying to get back to sleep, I gave up.  Just made a coffee, so there's no turning back now.

(11-14-2020, 05:40 AM)Sneakers Wrote: Waking up at 3:30 am.  After laying there for half an hour, trying to get back to sleep, I gave up.  Just made a coffee, so there's no turning back now.

Coffee??? Man I would've given it another 30 lol.