Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Trivial Annoyances Thread

(04-12-2021, 09:52 AM)Mikey Wrote: ....Am I the only one who thinks of Bronson Pinchot any time someone brings up the name of our GM?

Not anymore, thanks!!
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-12-2021, 09:52 AM)Mikey Wrote: ....Am I the only one who thinks of Bronson Pinchot any time someone brings up the name of our GM?

My wife loved that show, for some reason. I can’t even remember the name of it.

(04-12-2021, 12:21 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:

My wife loved that show, for some reason. I can’t even remember the name of it.

Perfect Strangers
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(This post was last modified: 04-12-2021, 05:59 PM by Jags.)

(04-12-2021, 12:22 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(04-12-2021, 12:21 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: My wife loved that show, for some reason. I can’t even remember the name of it.

Perfect Strangers

Bowkie!!!!    However you spell it.  Loved that show. But I was also maybe 12 when it was on.  Don’t even remember the type of humor they used.  But I do remember my brother and I joking about Bronson Pinchot (sp).  

And I’ll have you note, had I seen the Mr Magoo thing earlier, I would’ve gotten that right as well.  But I grew up poor watching syndicated television OTA.  Not bashing it.  But we watched what we had.  There were a few occasions the cable company screws up and gave us cable.  I watched “squiggle vision” haha.  That was the blacked out Playboy channel and every now and then you’d see bewb!!!!  Not so impressive now, but rewind the clock 20 yrs and being 13... haha, very nice! (In my best Borat voice)

So my new peeps can’t even make it into their first day of work. Red flag, indeed. How the [BLEEP] do you not show up on your fist day? I’m offering 30k with 10! Count them...1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 PAID weeks off Nov-March plus extra pay if we end up doing jobs on those off weeks. Plus a 600 sign on bonus paid out 30,60 and 90 days. That’s to START!!

I guess it’s a bad sign when the Gate gas station has a 8 1/2 x 11 printed sheet of paper on the entry door saying “We’re hiring ASAP, speak with manager inside for on site interview”. I know I’m not the only one swamped with work or swampy shorts from working. But C’MON Man! These handouts need to stop. Not trying to get political. But there are many industries swamped with work, turning work down, jacking prices up, or 2-3 months out. Cut off the hand outs and let’s all make money! There’s a restaurant nearby that has a sign that says “our service may be slow due to lack of help, we appreciate your business and understanding”

(04-12-2021, 05:54 PM)Jags Wrote: So my new peeps can’t even make it into their first day of work.  Red flag, indeed.  How the [BLEEP] do you not show up on your fist day?  I’m offering 30k with 10! Count them...1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 PAID weeks off Nov-March plus extra pay if we end up doing jobs on those off weeks.  Plus a 600 sign on bonus paid out 30,60 and 90 days.  That’s to START!!  

I guess it’s a bad sign when the Gate gas station has a 8 1/2 x 11 printed sheet of paper on the entry door saying “We’re hiring ASAP, speak with manager inside for on site interview”.  I know I’m not the only one swamped with work or swampy shorts from working.  But C’MON Man!   These handouts need to stop.  Not trying to get political.  But there are many industries swamped with work, turning work down, jacking prices up, or 2-3 months out.  Cut off the hand outs and let’s all make money!  There’s a restaurant nearby that has a sign that says “our service may be slow due to lack of help, we appreciate your business and understanding”

Man, if I was a 16-25 year old kid I'd be ALL OVER that.

(04-12-2021, 05:54 PM)Jags Wrote: So my new peeps can’t even make it into their first day of work.  Red flag, indeed.  How the [BLEEP] do you not show up on your fist day?  I’m offering 30k with 10! Count them...1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 PAID weeks off Nov-March plus extra pay if we end up doing jobs on those off weeks.  Plus a 600 sign on bonus paid out 30,60 and 90 days.  That’s to START!!  

I guess it’s a bad sign when the Gate gas station has a 8 1/2 x 11 printed sheet of paper on the entry door saying “We’re hiring ASAP, speak with manager inside for on site interview”.  I know I’m not the only one swamped with work or swampy shorts from working.  But C’MON Man!   These handouts need to stop.  Not trying to get political.  But there are many industries swamped with work, turning work down, jacking prices up, or 2-3 months out.  Cut off the hand outs and let’s all make money!  There’s a restaurant nearby that has a sign that says “our service may be slow due to lack of help, we appreciate your business and understanding”

this makes me sad. In a few years my son will be old enough to do work like this, how much will you dock his pay if he has to sleep in the equipment trailer? Big Grin

(04-13-2021, 08:59 AM)Mikey Wrote:

this makes me sad. In a few years my son will be old enough to do work like this, how much will you dock his pay if he has to sleep in the equipment trailer? Big Grin

Dock his pay??  Sounds like free night time security!!  I’ll give him an employee discount. Haha.

I wonder if I put an ad out saying I pay in meth if people would want to work with us. Anyone know a good meth salesman? Haha

I actually had to go into work all day today - and work!

Seriously cuts into my nap time.

(04-13-2021, 06:47 PM)Jags Wrote: I wonder if I put an ad out saying I pay in meth if people would want to work with us.  Anyone know a good meth salesman? Haha

Your strategy is all wrong.  You just need to hire a smokin' hot female to join the crew and supply her "uniform" (halter top and shorts).  First guy in to work goes on her crew.  They'll be lined up waiting when you get there in the morning.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(04-15-2021, 06:21 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(04-13-2021, 06:47 PM)Jags Wrote: I wonder if I put an ad out saying I pay in meth if people would want to work with us.  Anyone know a good meth salesman? Haha

Your strategy is all wrong.  You just need to hire a smokin' hot female to join the crew and supply her "uniform" (halter top and shorts).  First guy in to work goes on her crew.  They'll be lined up waiting when you get there in the morning.
Been there done that.  So has a few other companies I know.  Me personally, was my cousin.  It was almost sickening watching guys break their neck looking at her.  She opted (out of dress code) to wear cheerleading shorts. I’m not an inbred, but you’d be gay (or family) not to hit it. We’ve gained a few clients that way and was even told by a long term (apparently perv) client that she was the best help I ever had.  Now, a few years ago I received a VM from a girl responding to an ad.  She was looking to get out of the insurance world and by her words was “fit” so she figured she’d be able to do the job.  I never called her back because I wanted to stay married.  But it was about a week after that I noticed one of my competitors had hired  a smoking hot chick.  Fast forward 2-3 years... she’s still mowing lawns and smoking hot. I’ve got high standards too. (iMO)

(This post was last modified: 04-16-2021, 08:14 PM by americus 2.0.)

You haven't seen pollen until you're in what I call the pine capital of the east coast. My area is known for every pine species known to man and the pollen they give off is absurd. I never had allergies until I moved here and I live on Claritin-D all spring.

(04-16-2021, 08:12 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: You haven't seen pollen until you're in what I call the pine capital of the east coast. My area is known for every pine species known to man and the pollen they give off is absurd. I never had allergies until I moved here and I live on Claritin-D all spring.

Pine pollen sucks.  Idk if it’s true or not, but the pollen is so big it covers our cars and such, supposedly due to its size and “weight” it’s not the pollen that gives us the sneezes, congestion and whatnot.  Google that to be sure though.  I’m basing that off what I heard long ago.

(04-16-2021, 08:31 PM)Jags Wrote:
(04-16-2021, 08:12 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: You haven't seen pollen until you're in what I call the pine capital of the east coast. My area is known for every pine species known to man and the pollen they give off is absurd. I never had allergies until I moved here and I live on Claritin-D all spring.

Pine pollen sucks.  Idk if it’s true or not, but the pollen is so big it covers our cars and such, supposedly due to its size and “weight” it’s not the pollen that gives us the sneezes, congestion and whatnot.  Google that to be sure though.  I’m basing that off what I heard long ago.

I heard that recently. I call BS. Its the only thing I react to. All it does to me is make my eyes burn and itch so bad I want to scratch them out of my head. I don't have the sneezing and hacking type reaction, just eye murder reaction.

You can drive down a road here and see it in the air like smoke but nobody is burning. When the wind hits the trees you can see them explode with pollen and then its just going through the air like smoke in the wind. Its the weirdest thing.

(This post was last modified: 04-16-2021, 09:22 PM by Jags.)

(04-16-2021, 08:44 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(04-16-2021, 08:31 PM)Jags Wrote: Pine pollen sucks.  Idk if it’s true or not, but the pollen is so big it covers our cars and such, supposedly due to its size and “weight” it’s not the pollen that gives us the sneezes, congestion and whatnot.  Google that to be sure though.  I’m basing that off what I heard long ago.

I heard that recently. I call BS. Its the only thing I react to. All it does to me is make my eyes burn and itch so bad I want to scratch them out of my head. I don't have the sneezing and hacking type reaction, just eye murder reaction.

You can drive down a road here and see it in the air like smoke but nobody is burning. When the wind hits the trees you can see them explode with pollen and then its just going through the air like smoke in the wind. Its the weirdest thing.
Tree pollen is pretty high especially Oak and Juniper.  Maybe one of those?   I’m with you thoug, the pine pollen is so abundant and we see it blowing and in the air.  I remember years ago blowing off driveways at work and pulling my faceshield up, holding my breath and squinting my eyes.  Then I heard that it was too big to do damage.  I quit worrying about it.  I know we are all different and allergic to different things, but I can most certainly say the pine isn’t my issue.  So I figured it was true.

(04-16-2021, 09:21 PM)Jags Wrote:
(04-16-2021, 08:44 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: I heard that recently. I call BS. Its the only thing I react to. All it does to me is make my eyes burn and itch so bad I want to scratch them out of my head. I don't have the sneezing and hacking type reaction, just eye murder reaction.

Tree pollen is pretty high especially Oak and Juniper.  Maybe one of those?   I’m with you thoug, the pine pollen is so abundant and we see it blowing and in the air.  I remember years ago blowing off driveways at work and pulling my faceshield up, holding my breath and squinting my eyes.  Then I heard that it was too big to do damage.  I quit worrying about it.  I know we are all different and allergic to different things, but I can most certainly say the pine isn’t my issue.  So I figured it was true.

Pines seem to share their pollen first and about 3-4 weeks later, depending on the weather, the scrub oaks start up. Just on our property we are surrounded by several species of pines, scrub oaks, dogwoods and some sort of pear tree that doesn't actually bear fruit. 

When I was stationed at Fort Bragg which is about 45 minutes from us, I never had any allergic reactions but the pine trees are more dense here because it's mostly rural and the towns that make up the county are small so not much development. I was also younger and I've read that you can develop allergies as you get older. Whatever the case, I really suffer in the spring. I've been here 10 years now though, so I stay on top of taking the Claritin-D. Without that stuff I am not functional.

(This post was last modified: 04-20-2021, 05:30 AM by The Real Marty.)

I get trivially annoyed by people not understanding the correct use of the apostrophe.  For example, "its" is the possessive of "it."  It should have no apostrophe.  "It's" (notice the apostrophe) means "it is."  

It licks its paw.
It's nice.  

Also, an apostrophe should not be used to make a singular word into a plural word.  I see that one all the time.  

For example: Door Knob's [for sale]  https://www.pinterest.com/bombshellwatt/door-knobs/

I saw this misuse of the apostrophe on Big Cat Country this morning:

"Its’ workers put their bodies on the line..."   What the heck is an apostrophe doing in that spot?  

There is a plague of apostrophes all over the internet.

(04-20-2021, 05:28 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I get trivially annoyed by people not understanding the correct use of the apostrophe.  For example, "its" is the possessive of "it."  It should have no apostrophe.  "It's" (notice the apostrophe) means "it is."  

It licks its paw.
It's nice.  

Also, an apostrophe should not be used to make a singular word into a plural word.  I see that one all the time.  

For example: Door Knob's [for sale]  https://www.pinterest.com/bombshellwatt/door-knobs/

I saw this misuse of the apostrophe on Big Cat Country this morning:

"Its’ workers put their bodies on the line..."   What the heck is an apostrophe doing in that spot?  

There is a plague of apostrophes all over the internet.

/offers sanitized, socially-distanced bro-fist

this was isolated to only one person, but in addition to that, I had a former boss who always responded "thank-you" when I provided a report or took care of a job. No idea where the hyphenation came from, but it was nails on a chalkboard levels of irritation whenever I would read it.

And yeah, blogs do not have copy editors, and as a former copy editor I almost want to volunteer my time to help the authors clean up their content. How often do you read an article and find a misused, but properly-spelled word that didn't get caught because spellcheck didn't call their attention to an error? Do you not re-read your material before pressing the button to publish?

Having the pleasure of getting stuck behind Mr. Bumper Rider meets Mr. Brake Checker.