Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Trivial Annoyances Thread

(04-25-2022, 12:54 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: There's an elementary school in my neighborhood.  Parents line up in their cars to pick up their kids 45 minutes before school lets out.  There will be 1000 foot long line of cars down the street 45 minutes before school lets out.  What's up with that?

We rode the bus. Mom was not a shuttle service and, "our taxes pay for that bus so you're going to ride it." Fine with me!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Parent pick up? School buses?? I walked, up hill, both ways, in the snow, year round...stop rolling your eyes.

(04-25-2022, 08:23 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(04-25-2022, 12:54 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: There's an elementary school in my neighborhood.  Parents line up in their cars to pick up their kids 45 minutes before school lets out.  There will be 1000 foot long line of cars down the street 45 minutes before school lets out.  What's up with that?

We rode the bus. Mom was not a shuttle service and, "our taxes pay for that bus so you're going to ride it." Fine with me!

If your house is too close to the school, they don't offer a bus.  I think my kids would be fine walking home, as long as an adult was in the house to meet them, but my wife thinks they'll get lost or kidnapped.  So we pick them up.  And yeah.  The school tried to run the car line efficiently, but parents still show up 45 minutes early.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

It seems like if these parents would just let their kids stand around waiting for 20 or 30 minutes they would learn to socialize with the other kids and it would be good for them.

(04-25-2022, 09:11 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(04-25-2022, 08:23 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: We rode the bus. Mom was not a shuttle service and, "our taxes pay for that bus so you're going to ride it." Fine with me!

If your house is too close to the school, they don't offer a bus.  I think my kids would be fine walking home, as long as an adult was in the house to meet them, but my wife thinks they'll get lost or kidnapped.  So we pick them up.  And yeah.  The school tried to run the car line efficiently, but parents still show up 45 minutes early.

we're at a charter school with no bus option. I will say that they have gotten the lines working pretty well, biggest hurdle to overcome is a bunch of children that want to do anything but pay attention to the loud speaker to hear when their name is called Smile

(This post was last modified: 04-28-2022, 12:21 AM by americus 2.0. Edited 1 time in total.)

(04-25-2022, 09:11 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(04-25-2022, 08:23 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: We rode the bus. Mom was not a shuttle service and, "our taxes pay for that bus so you're going to ride it." Fine with me!

My bus stop was the school Ted Bundy kidnapped Kimberly Leach from and that was only four years after the fact. All the kids from the area caught busses to their respective schools from that location so me and my sister weren't the only ones but it seems weird now to think about it. 

I actually went to that school when I reached that grade and they were all about telling us the story and that we had to have a buddy to walk around campus with. We were never allowed to walk alone. Eventually the school board consolidated that grade with another in a different location. I think the building is used for the county school system.

(04-26-2022, 04:58 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: It seems like if these parents would just let their kids stand around waiting for 20 or 30 minutes they would learn to socialize with the other kids and it would be good for them.

My kids school had a supervised study hall for the pick up room.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Why do you have to go through ten shopping carts at Walmart before you find one that doesn't have at least one [BLEEP] up wheel? Do they buy them like that?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(04-28-2022, 09:17 AM)RicoTx Wrote: Why do you have to go through ten shopping carts at Walmart before you find one that doesn't have at least one [BLEEP] up wheel? Do they buy them like that?

It was really nice when the one in Durbin Pavilion opened up.  Those carts were SMOOTHE!!!  

And thanks for calling it a cart.  Buggy people irritate me.

(04-28-2022, 03:10 PM)Jags Wrote:
(04-28-2022, 09:17 AM)RicoTx Wrote: Why do you have to go through ten shopping carts at Walmart before you find one that doesn't have at least one [BLEEP] up wheel? Do they buy them like that?

It was really nice when the one in Durbin Pavilion opened up.  Those carts were SMOOTHE!!!  

My wife is a buggy girl.

They don't call them shopping buggies.

The cartwheels get messed up because they use those electric cart retrievers that push huge numbers at one time. This causes the wheels to scrub and bind as they manipulate the train of carts into the store.

(This post was last modified: 04-28-2022, 04:37 PM by Jags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(04-28-2022, 03:58 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(04-28-2022, 03:10 PM)Jags Wrote: It was really nice when the one in Durbin Pavilion opened up.  Those carts were SMOOTHE!!!  

My wife is a buggy girl.

My wife and her whole family are buggies.  I occasionally ask my wife “what does that sign say?” While walking into Publix, while pointing at the “return carts here” sign

(04-28-2022, 04:22 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:

The cartwheels get messed up because they use those electric cart retrievers that push huge numbers at one time. This causes the wheels to scrub and bind as they manipulate the train of carts into the store.

Bind, manipulate and scrub?  Are they single?

(04-28-2022, 04:33 PM)Jags Wrote:
(04-28-2022, 03:58 PM)RicoTx Wrote: My wife is a buggy girl.

My wife and her whole family are buggies.  I occasionally ask my wife “what does that sign say?” While walking into Publix, while pointing at the “return carts here” sign

(04-28-2022, 04:22 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: The cartwheels get messed up because they use those electric cart retrievers that push huge numbers at one time. This causes the wheels to scrub and bind as they manipulate the train of carts into the store.

At a Walmart do you really want to know?
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(04-28-2022, 04:44 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(04-28-2022, 04:33 PM)Jags Wrote: My wife and her whole family are buggies.  I occasionally ask my wife “what does that sign say?” While walking into Publix, while pointing at the “return carts here” sign

At a Walmart do you really want to know?

Hmm… good call.  What about the Target ones? Those are usually a lot better and more sophisticated, no?

(04-28-2022, 04:46 PM)Jags Wrote:
(04-28-2022, 04:44 PM)Sneakers Wrote: At a Walmart do you really want to know?

Hmm… good call.  What about the Target ones? Those are usually a lot better and more sophisticated, no?

I'm not sure about more sophisticated at Target, but definitely not as high mileage.  A good Publix is probably best is a smooth and enjoyable ride.

(This post was last modified: 04-28-2022, 05:12 PM by Jags. Edited 4 times in total.)

(04-28-2022, 04:55 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(04-28-2022, 04:46 PM)Jags Wrote: Hmm… good call.  What about the Target ones? Those are usually a lot better and more sophisticated, no?

I'm not sure about more sophisticated at Target, but definitely not as high mileage.  A good Publix is probably best is a smooth and enjoyable ride.
Publix definitely takes the cake.  Shopping is definitely a pleasure.  They hit that slogan out of the park.  Speaking of “hit that”, it’s draft day, I should probably go to Publix to get something.

“Excuse me ma’am, do you know if I need to scrub or manipulate these yoga pants, [BLEEP] I mean potatoes?”

(Slap).  Probably should’ve asked while still in the produce aisle, not the cleaning section.

(04-28-2022, 05:00 PM)Jags Wrote:
(04-28-2022, 04:55 PM)Sneakers Wrote: I'm not sure about more sophisticated at Target, but definitely not as high mileage.  A good Publix is probably best is a smooth and enjoyable ride.
Publix definitely takes the cake.  Shopping is definitely a pleasure.  They hit that slogan out of the park.  Speaking of “hit that”, it’s draft day, I should probably go to Publix to get something.

“Excuse me ma’am, do you know if I need to scrub or manipulate these yoga pants, [BLEEP] I mean potatoes?”

(Slap).  Probably should’ve asked while still in the produce aisle, not the cleaning section.

If she delivers the slap while you're getting something off the bottom shelf, you'll know she's good to go.

(04-28-2022, 05:26 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(04-28-2022, 05:00 PM)Jags Wrote: Publix definitely takes the cake.  Shopping is definitely a pleasure.  They hit that slogan out of the park.  Speaking of “hit that”, it’s draft day, I should probably go to Publix to get something.

If she delivers the slap while you're getting something off the bottom shelf, you'll know she's good to go.
What if it’s the other way around?  Because that is what happened.  She was grabbing the Dukes Georgia Sweet Heat bbq sauce that was bogo.  It was a bit lower on the shelves. The other one was the Carolina gold. She has good taste.  Hope I hope she does too.  I’m not sure if that is pertinent information or not.  Just trying to give the most info I can so we all can learn.

1010XL: here comes another 5 minutes of commercials.

(04-28-2022, 03:10 PM)Jags Wrote:

My favorite ones were at the Winn Dixie on 210.  They were all plastic (with the rubber wheels).  But those were sweet 'rides'.  Obviously I don't know if they have those anymore since I've been gone for two years.