Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Trivial Annoyances Thread

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2023, 08:37 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

My wife doesn't seem to understand Newton's First Law of Motion, which is, "an object in motion will say in motion unless an external force acts upon it."  So if we're riding in the car, and her purse is on her lap, if I apply the brakes, her purse will keep moving forward until it falls on the floor.   Same thing with avocados placed loosely in the back of the car.  If I turn right, the avocados will try to keep going straight.  And then they're all over the place.  She's very smart, but she never seems to grasp this.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-05-2023, 08:22 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: My wife doesn't seem to understand Newton's First Law of Motion, which is, "an object in motion will say in motion unless an external force acts upon it."  So if we're riding in the car, and her purse is on her lap, if I apply the brakes, her purse will keep moving forward until it falls on the floor.   Same thing with avocados placed loosely in the back of the car.  If I turn right, the avocados will try to keep going straight.  And then they're all over the place.  She's very smart, but she never seems to grasp this.

Replace the avocados with bowling balls, securing one in place and leaving the others loose, then send her out for a drive.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

The mere existence of the 'Naked and Afraid' "reality" series.

(09-23-2023, 11:14 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: A resident in my neighborhood started decorating his house, and his ENTIRE yard, in Halloween adornments last week. He keeps adding to it.

Grow up, man.

Here we are going into the second week of November and Mr. Halloween has yet to remove a single gaudy Halloween decoration - which adorn nearly every square foot of his front yard. 

A can of lighter fluid and a match is all I need.

(This post was last modified: 11-07-2023, 01:35 PM by WingerDinger. Edited 1 time in total.)

(11-07-2023, 01:13 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(09-23-2023, 11:14 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: A resident in my neighborhood started decorating his house, and his ENTIRE yard, in Halloween adornments last week. He keeps adding to it.

Grow up, man.

Here we are going into the second week of November and Mr. Halloween has yet to remove a single gaudy Halloween decoration - which adorn nearly every square foot of his front yard. 

That's why we do deco for the fall and not specifically Halloween. We can leave our stuff up until Thanksgiving..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(11-07-2023, 01:13 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:

Grow up, man.

Bonus points for staying on topic with the thread. Truly a trivial annoyance.

I'm sure this is trivial, or maybe just a case of "Mikey's an [BLEEP] by nature", but nothing cheeses me more than people driving into dedicated turn lane, seeing the bike crossing, and choosing to pull into and stop directly in the middle of the crosswalk while crossing traffic has the right of way.

Gonna start walking my bike across the hoods of their cars, I swear. What is their plan if the crosser isn't a bike, but a wheelchair? or a mom with a stroller?

My favorite is when they say "I'm sorry!" - I know you are. Be smart, though. We have enough sorry people in this world already.

We watch youtube videos on tv without signing in to an account because if we sign in to mine then anything my husband searches for will jam up my recommendations. I go to look up something just now and they say I've signed out and all recommendations are based on what's trending. All of our recommendations and video history is gone and this is has happened a few times recently. Jerktards also have been asking me to sign in to have a better experience. My experience would be just fine if you'd just leave me alone and let me do my thing.

My sons and I, along with one of their friends, played a round at Hyde Park golf course yesterday. What a sad disappointment it was. Being the Saturday after Thanksgiving with beautiful weather, the place was packed like any other golf course. New owners bought the place a few years ago and had previously been putting work into improving the course. It was obvious yesterday that apparently the money, or the willingness to continue improving the course, have diminished. Some of the greens are in dismal condition. But what made yesterday so bad is they stacked the players up and had not one single ranger on the course to keep play moving along. Slow play created a five-and-a-half-hour round for us. Added to this frustration was even though the course was full of young, drinking aged players, they had no cart girl on the course. A glorious opportunity to make money and draw in new customers and keep returning customers happy (notwithstanding course conditions) was sadly squandered. 

I still like to play there because it's an Old Florida course with challenging greens and approach shots. Unfortunately, it looks to be on the downslide again and may not recover. An interview I read with the new owners, who are a retired couple, say the only bids they've received to buy the course from them have no intention of keeping it as a golf course. It's going to be a sad day for local golf when it gets plowed over to build a subdivision. Sadly, it appears that time is getting closer.

(11-26-2023, 10:21 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: My sons and I, along with one of their friends, played a round at Hyde Park golf course yesterday. What a sad disappointment it was. Being the Saturday after Thanksgiving with beautiful weather, the place was packed like any other golf course. New owners bought the place a few years ago and had previously been putting work into improving the course. It was obvious yesterday that apparently the money, or the willingness to continue improving the course, have diminished. Some of the greens are in dismal condition. But what made yesterday so bad is they stacked the players up and had not one single ranger on the course to keep play moving along. Slow play created a five-and-a-half-hour round for us. Added to this frustration was even though the course was full of young, drinking aged players, they had no cart girl on the course. A glorious opportunity to make money and draw in new customers and keep returning customers happy (notwithstanding course conditions) was sadly squandered. 

I still like to play there because it's an Old Florida course with challenging greens and approach shots. Unfortunately, it looks to be on the downslide again and may not recover. An interview I read with the new owners, who are a retired couple, say the only bids they've received to buy the course from them have no intention of keeping it as a golf course. It's going to be a sad day for local golf when it gets plowed over to build a subdivision. Sadly, it appears that time is getting closer.

I grew up playing that course, and it's a great layout, but it has suffered from neglect recently, and I've avoided it.  

On the other hand, I played Bent Creek several times lately, and that course is in great shape, especially for that price.   You might try that one instead.  The other day, I paid [I forget how much, somewhere around $400] at BC for unlimited range balls and $13 greens fees "after twilight," which is (I think) 12:00 noon right now.

(11-26-2023, 11:32 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(11-26-2023, 10:21 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: My sons and I, along with one of their friends, played a round at Hyde Park golf course yesterday. What a sad disappointment it was. Being the Saturday after Thanksgiving with beautiful weather, the place was packed like any other golf course. New owners bought the place a few years ago and had previously been putting work into improving the course. It was obvious yesterday that apparently the money, or the willingness to continue improving the course, have diminished. Some of the greens are in dismal condition. But what made yesterday so bad is they stacked the players up and had not one single ranger on the course to keep play moving along. Slow play created a five-and-a-half-hour round for us. Added to this frustration was even though the course was full of young, drinking aged players, they had no cart girl on the course. A glorious opportunity to make money and draw in new customers and keep returning customers happy (notwithstanding course conditions) was sadly squandered. 

I grew up playing that course, and it's a great layout, but it has suffered from neglect recently, and I've avoided it.  

On the other hand, I played Bent Creek several times lately, and that course is in great shape, especially for that price.   You might try that one instead.  The other day, I paid [I forget how much, somewhere around $400] at BC for unlimited range balls and $13 greens fees "after twilight," which is (I think) 12:00 noon right now.

We considered Bent Creek but it's too challenging of a course for my son, and for the rest of us considering how we played yesterday. Bent Creek eats up a lot of golf balls. Plus, cost was a consideration. Hyde Park was the lowest at $47. 

It's a shame about Hyde Park. How nice it would be to have a new owner sink the money into it to bring it back to its former glory, but it's more likely to be full of houses before that happens.

(11-26-2023, 12:53 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(11-26-2023, 11:32 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I grew up playing that course, and it's a great layout, but it has suffered from neglect recently, and I've avoided it.  

We considered Bent Creek but it's too challenging of a course for my son, and for the rest of us considering how we played yesterday. Bent Creek eats up a lot of golf balls. Plus, cost was a consideration. Hyde Park was the lowest at $47. 

It's a shame about Hyde Park. How nice it would be to have a new owner sink the money into it to bring it back to its former glory, but it's more likely to be full of houses before that happens.

Just to clarify, the four hundred and something at BC was for 6 months.  

I took a look at Bent Creek green fees just now, and you're right about the cost.  I wasn't aware they were charging so much, probably because always played there on weekdays.  

It'll be sad to see Hyde Park go.  I have so many memories there.  Including the time I eagled #9!  Hit a driver, accidentally cut the corner to the RIGHT of the fairway bunker, hit the cart path and bounded into the middle of the fairway.  Hit the green with a 5-wood, and sunk a 20 footer that broke at least 2 feet.  Hard to believe, after playing for 50 years, I've only eagled one hole.

I've commented on red light rollers; the drivers who continuously inch forward at a red light until they're practically in the intersection because, apparently, that 40ms they gain will make a difference in their day.

Now I have to complain about red light dawdlers. The ones who seemingly just remove their foot from the accelerator pedal and allow the car to slowly idle forward after the light turns green. Meanwhile, the gap between them and the car in front rapidly grows, trapping everyone behind them as the light changes back to yellow.

Get out of my way, people!

(12-01-2023, 01:31 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I've commented on red light rollers; the drivers who continuously inch forward at a red light until they're practically in the intersection because, apparently, that 40ms they gain will make a difference in their day.

Now I have to complain about red light dawdlers. The ones who seemingly just remove their foot from the accelerator pedal and allow the car to slowly idle forward after the light turns green. Meanwhile, the gap between them and the car in front rapidly grows, trapping everyone behind them as the light changes back to yellow.

I hate to get overly technical, but despite the movement of the car, the timing of the light remains unchanged.  The advantage gained is in distance, not time.

P.S.  The term "red light" has been found to be insensitive to traffic lights everywhere.  They now identify as Signals of Transitioning Color.

The Earth rotates towards the East. So if your car is facing West, and the light changes, and you start forward, you are actually slowing down.

Interesting, huh?

(12-07-2023, 11:26 AM)Sneakers Wrote:
(12-01-2023, 01:31 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I've commented on red light rollers; the drivers who continuously inch forward at a red light until they're practically in the intersection because, apparently, that 40ms they gain will make a difference in their day.

I hate to get overly technical, but despite the movement of the car, the timing of the light remains unchanged.  The advantage gained is in distance, not time.

P.S.  The term "red light" has been found to be insensitive to traffic lights everywhere.  They now identify as Signals of Transitioning Color.

You are correct, but the timing of the light is not the subject of my frivolous rant.

(12-07-2023, 12:03 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(12-07-2023, 11:26 AM)Sneakers Wrote: I hate to get overly technical, but despite the movement of the car, the timing of the light remains unchanged.  The advantage gained is in distance, not time.

You are correct, but the timing of the light is not the subject of my frivolous rant.

Try blasting the horn and yelling, "Next time get the V-8!" as you go by.   I find it to be highly therapeutic.

Anybody that has an opinion different than mine.   Laughing
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Just people being oblivious to other people around them. Everyone is guilty at some point, but some examples are much more egregious than others perhaps to the point of intention. Case in point, a group walking on a busy sidewalk (think St. John's Town Center) very slowly and doing so 3-5 people wide with people also walking the opposite direction making it aggravating at the least to get around them and past them if you are unfortunate enough to find yourself directly behind them.

Also, at grocery stores or any store with aisles and carts and someone parks their cart in the middle of the aisle while they look at something on the shelf and someone else comes up either in front of them or behind them but can't get around because their body is blocking half the aisle and their cart is effectively blocking the rest of the aisle and although they know you're there they make no immediate move to assist you in getting by them. Blood boils just thinking about it and I'm probably one of the calmest people you'd meet.

Can someone please explain the premise of this annoying commercial to me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X5gDOGhWgQ