Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Mason Rudolph

(This post was last modified: 03-25-2018, 02:56 AM by Jagsfan32277.)

(03-24-2018, 08:33 PM)Andy G Wrote: Just curious, does anyone here think he’s in the top tier of QBs in this draft?

Or is he simply the best QB still likely to be available by the time we pick?

I’ve got a feeling we wouldn’t even be discussing him if we were picking inside the top 10-15.

Or do you think he’d be a top pick in any other year?

Nah, christian hackenburg, bryce petty ,  2.0. Looking at his highlights, a one read throw the ball spread offense, has a weak arm for a big qb. Pass on him.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 03-25-2018, 03:11 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(03-25-2018, 02:53 AM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote:
(03-24-2018, 08:33 PM)Andy G Wrote: Just curious, does anyone here think he’s in the top tier of QBs in this draft?

I’ve got a feeling we wouldn’t even be discussing him if we were picking inside the top 10-15.

Nah, christian hackenburg, bryce petty ,  2.0.  Looking at his highlights, a one read throw the ball spread offense, has a weak arm for a big qb.  Pass on him.

IMO, Allen is Christian Hackenburg and Jackson is RG3.

He has your prototypical size for the all time great QBs, not the strongest arm but it isn't weak like Teddy, the best deep ball thrower in the draft, can scramble, lead the nation in completion %, improved every year he was in college.  What more do you want, good character and seems confident to prove the naysayers wrong.  What more do you want

(This post was last modified: 03-25-2018, 10:55 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(03-25-2018, 10:15 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

He has your prototypical size for the all time great QBs, not the strongest arm but it isn't weak like Teddy, the best deep ball thrower in the draft, can scramble, lead the nation in completion %, improved every year he was in college.  What more do you want, good character and seems confident to prove the naysayers wrong.  What more do you want

Agreed. Some people hold it against him that he plays in the Big 12 and refuse to look passed it. But if you think about it, there are 4 NFL QB's that will likely be starters in 2018 that came from that very same conference, (Pat Mahomes, Andy Dalton, Ryan Tannenhill and Sam Bradford.) None may be elite QB's, but Dalton, Tannenhill and Bradford have been in the league a long time and Mahomes is expected to be a very good starter in time. The digs about the Big 12 not being a good conference to draft QB's from just doesn't hold water any more.

(03-25-2018, 01:30 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

I definitely do. Rudolph has been my favorite since day 1. I have him and Mayfield neck and neck with Rosen barely behind them due to injury and attitude concerns only. Nothing to do with talent on the field. Talent wise, Rosen is right there with them. I am not a fan at all of Allen or Jackson. Personally, I wouldn't consider Allen until at least round 3 and there better not be better options on the board like White or even Lauletta. I'd take them over him. I wouldn't touch Jackson. He needed to stay in school, add more meat to his frame, (particularly the lower body) and work on his passing from the pocket. he's nowhere near ready for the NFL and may never be.

I still think you're all sleeping on Luke Falk who honestly I would even take over Josh Allen.  The only reason I might grade Allen over Falk is the disparity in their arm strength, but that's it. I'll give Rudolph the edge over Falk for now, but I have Falk way above the likes of Lauletta and White. 
'02

Another question.

Does anyone else see a lot of Blake Bortles in this guy? (Big guy, strong character, willingness to take shots down the field...)

This was the assessment of Bortles’ weaknesses, coming out of college, on the NFL website...

“Winds to uncork it deep and generate slightly above-average arm strength.

Operated in an offense where he made a lot of one-look reads and short lateral tosses.

Does not spin spirals consistently -- too many throws come out with loose wobble and could struggle to cut the wind and handle the elements of cold-winter climates.

Tends to throw off his back foot when pressured, negating his accuracy.

Works heavily out of the gun -- will have to adapt to snaps under center and deep drops.

Operates an offense predicated on the short passing game that inflates his completion percentage.

Ball handling/security could stand to improve (fumbled nine times as a junior).

Struggled to throw receivers open vs. better competition and will require time to adjust to the closing speed of NFL defensive backs.

Footwork could use some polishing -- deteriorates under duress and does not look natural on deep drops.

Can improve his overall understanding of the game and become more consistent with his mechanics.”

This is an assessment of Rudolph’s weaknesses, from the same website...

“Over-strides at times. Rarely drives lower body through the throw causing ball to sail and float.

May not generate enough velocity to beat ball-hawking corners who strangle passing windows. Field-side outs will be a challenge.

Needs throws to stay on schedule. Needs to throw with better timing and placement on comeback and outs.

Defaults to off-platform throws when he has time to step and deliver.

Ball placement and decision making can run askew when forced to scramble from pocket.

Ball will come out wobbly at times.

Inexperienced as rollout passer. Benefitted from ball-winning targets downfield.

Wasn't asked to get through many progressions in the offense. Has had ball security issues as a starter.”

You can argue one or both of those assessments is unfair if you want, but I’m seeing a lot of common concerns there.

(Although weirdly, their “player comparison” is Christian Ponder!)

I guess you might think this makes him an ideal backup, because there wouldn’t need to much adjustment for him.

But drafting a player with similar faults to be Blake’s replacement?

Just heard he has 9 inch hands and apparently only 1 QB has ever made a pro bowl with 9 inch hands.

For a big guy, he’s got small hands.

(This post was last modified: 03-26-2018, 12:29 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(03-26-2018, 09:52 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Just heard he has 9 inch hands and apparently only 1 QB has ever made a pro bowl with 9 inch hands.

Jared Goff and Patrick Mahomes were 9 inches

(03-26-2018, 12:26 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-26-2018, 09:52 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Just heard he has 9 inch hands and apparently only 1 QB has ever made a pro bowl with 9 inch hands.

Jared Goff and Patrick Mahomes were 9 inches
I would be stoked if I had 9 inches.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(03-26-2018, 12:34 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(03-26-2018, 12:26 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Jared Goff and Patrick Mahomes were 9 inches
I would be stoked if I had 9 inches.

You're almost half way there

(03-26-2018, 12:40 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-26-2018, 12:34 PM)Dimson Wrote: I would be stoked if I had 9 inches.

You're almost half way there
I wish!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(This post was last modified: 03-26-2018, 12:56 PM by Monty.)

[Image: baby-hand.jpg]
Huh

(03-25-2018, 09:07 PM)Andy G Wrote: Another question.

Does anyone else see a lot of Blake Bortles in this guy? (Big guy, strong character, willingness to take shots down the field...)

This was the assessment of Bortles’ weaknesses, coming out of college, on the NFL website...

“Winds to uncork it deep and generate slightly above-average arm strength.

Operated in an offense where he made a lot of one-look reads and short lateral tosses.

Does not spin spirals consistently -- too many throws come out with loose wobble and could struggle to cut the wind and handle the elements of cold-winter climates.

Tends to throw off his back foot when pressured, negating his accuracy.

Works heavily out of the gun -- will have to adapt to snaps under center and deep drops.

Operates an offense predicated on the short passing game that inflates his completion percentage.

Ball handling/security could stand to improve (fumbled nine times as a junior).

Struggled to throw receivers open vs. better competition and will require time to adjust to the closing speed of NFL defensive backs.

Footwork could use some polishing -- deteriorates under duress and does not look natural on deep drops.

Can improve his overall understanding of the game and become more consistent with his mechanics.”

This is an assessment of Rudolph’s weaknesses, from the same website...

“Over-strides at times. Rarely drives lower body through the throw causing ball to sail and float.

May not generate enough velocity to beat ball-hawking corners who strangle passing windows. Field-side outs will be a challenge.

Needs throws to stay on schedule. Needs to throw with better timing and placement on comeback and outs.

Defaults to off-platform throws when he has time to step and deliver.

Ball placement and decision making can run askew when forced to scramble from pocket.

Ball will come out wobbly at times.

Inexperienced as rollout passer. Benefitted from ball-winning targets downfield.

Wasn't asked to get through many progressions in the offense. Has had ball security issues as a starter.”

You can argue one or both of those assessments is unfair if you want, but I’m seeing a lot of common concerns there.

(Although weirdly, their “player comparison” is Christian Ponder!)

I guess you might think this makes him an ideal backup, because there wouldn’t need to much adjustment for him.  

The biggest difference is that Blake was never a natural passer and has learned on the fly how to throw like a pro. Rudolph strikes me as needing some mechanical work, but at the same time, he's a very natural passer. Rudolph would probably have a good 1 1/2 years to develop, and imagine what a natural passer like him might do after working with guys like House. 
'02

(03-26-2018, 09:40 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(03-25-2018, 09:07 PM)Andy G Wrote: Another question.

The biggest difference is that Blake was never a natural passer and has learned on the fly how to throw like a pro. Rudolph strikes me as needing some mechanical work, but at the same time, he's a very natural passer. Rudolph would probably have a good 1 1/2 years to develop, and imagine what a natural passer like him might do after working with guys like House. 

I'd say Blake has "learned to throw like a pro about 60% of the time after 4 NFL seasons as a starter and extensive offseason work with a mechanics guru."  

So - the questions (to me) are: 
 Does Rudolph face a similar tough learning curve?
Can he get there quicker? 
Can he exceed what Blake has accomplished in a shorter span of time with the luxury of a year on the bench? 

(I have no clue to the answers of those questions as I've literally watched one cut-up of Rudolph. I thought he looked weak-armed and there were too many wobblers for my taste after watching Bortles for four years.)

(03-26-2018, 10:12 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-26-2018, 09:40 PM)Jags02 Wrote: The biggest difference is that Blake was never a natural passer and has learned on the fly how to throw like a pro. Rudolph strikes me as needing some mechanical work, but at the same time, he's a very natural passer. Rudolph would probably have a good 1 1/2 years to develop, and imagine what a natural passer like him might do after working with guys like House. 

I'd say Blake has "learned to throw like a pro about 60% of the time after 4 NFL seasons as a starter and extensive offseason work with a mechanics guru."  

So - the questions (to me) are: 
 Does Rudolph face a similar tough learning curve?
Can he get there quicker? 
Can he exceed what Blake has accomplished in a shorter span of time with the luxury of a year on the bench? 

(I have no clue to the answers of those questions as I've literally watched one cut-up of Rudolph. I thought he looked weak-armed and there were too many wobblers for my taste after watching Bortles for four years.)

I know what you're saying on his game clips. Just looking at some of this throws I'm quick to say to myself, "oh, that's a pick."... and then "there's another one." That had me initially writing him off as top QB, but since I keep seeing comments from those who have actually watched him saying he really does a good job at even the minor details like ball placement. So, I figure I might be bashing him too hard mentally over a few game clips, and that correcting his mechanics might really go a long way.

'02

Yeah, I don't know how I feel about him. He's got size, a good deep ball, and does well in the pocket, but there's a lot left to be desired. I don't think he goes through very many reads or progressions, he seems like a system QB that just does one read and gets the ball out. His accuracy kinda stinks on short and medium routes. If you can't read a defense or be accurate, I don't care what other traits you have, you're not going to be successful. Now obviously coaching can help, but how much is the question. FWIW, I'd rather have him in the 2nd than Allen in the first no matter which team I am, but I am "meh" on both guys.

Rudolph would be a statue in the RPO. The dude can barely move.

(04-05-2018, 01:48 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Rudolph would be a statue in the RPO. The dude can barely move.

You don't play Rudolph in the RPO. That's Lamar Jackson's territory. 
'02

(04-05-2018, 01:48 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Rudolph would be a statue in the RPO. The dude can barely move.

I think thats a bit harsh. While no one would confuse him with Lamar Jackson in regards to scrambling ability he can tuck it and run when he needs to. He's far from a Leftwich or Flacco

(This post was last modified: 04-05-2018, 03:48 AM by The_Franchise_QB.)

(04-05-2018, 01:51 AM)Jags02 Wrote:

You don't play Rudolph in the RPO. That's Lamar Jackson's territory. 

Exactly!! Which is why he isn't Marrone's "I would run it every down if I could" QB. He is in no a way fit here. Not by talent, by fit. Which is why I more so believe Jackson is the guy. Jackson in the RPO would be lethal. It isn't my system, I am just going by what the team is looking for.

(04-05-2018, 02:09 AM)JNev Wrote:

I think thats a bit harsh. While no one would confuse him with Lamar Jackson in regards to scrambling ability he can tuck it and run when he needs to. He's far from a Leftwich or Flacco

I agree but he looks stiff in the pocket. Bortles is Vick lite compared to him. It's not like he is Tom Savage or something back there, he can run, but in the NFL he ain't going to be running.