Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Mason Rudolph

Can we get him in the second round?  My brother in law works for some kind of high school scout company for colleges.  Says he's the best QB in the draft.  Possible?
Huh

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-29-2017, 10:27 AM)Monty Wrote: Can we get him in the second round?  My brother in law works for some kind of high school scout company for colleges.  Says he's the best QB in the draft.  Possible?

I'd rather save the second rounder and get a developmental guy later on if we aren't going to wind up with a stud QB somehow late in Rd 1. I like drew lock, if he declares. Huge upside but likely a 4th/5th round pick
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

(12-29-2017, 10:27 AM)Monty Wrote: Can we get him in the second round?  My brother in law works for some kind of high school scout company for colleges.  Says he's the best QB in the draft.  Possible?

He's been my favorite QB prospect since halfway through the season. His accuracy and touch are phenomenal, he has a strong arm (not a cannon, but strong), he's mobile for a man of his size and he goes through his progessions well and makes solid reads. He also throws the prettiest deep ball in this draft. I have him and Baker Mayfield, 1a and 1b, but IMO, Rudolph is the safer pick, but I'd love either one. As for getting him in round 2, I don't think he falls that far. I think teams are gonna fall in love with him during workouts and interviews and I believe he goes somewhere in round 1. If he's there when we pick in the first round, I'd be running to the podium to make the selection. IMO, I see a little Ben Roethlisberger in him.

(12-29-2017, 12:16 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

He's been my favorite QB prospect since halfway through the season. His accuracy and touch are phenomenal, he has a strong arm (not a cannon, but strong), he's mobile for a man of his size and he goes through his progessions well and makes solid reads. He also throws the prettiest deep ball in this draft. I have him and Baker Mayfield, 1a and 1b, but IMO, Rudolph is the safer pick, but I'd love either one. As for getting him in round 2, I don't think he falls that far. I think teams are gonna fall in love with him during workouts and interviews and I believe he goes somewhere in round 1. If he's there when we pick in the first round, I'd be running to the podium to make the selection. IMO, I see a little Ben Roethlisberger in him.

He said decision making is the number one trait in a QB over arm talent, mobility, etc.  I guess that backs up your assessment on him going through his progressions.  I was impressed last night.
Huh

(12-29-2017, 12:20 PM)Monty Wrote:
(12-29-2017, 12:16 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: He's been my favorite QB prospect since halfway through the season. His accuracy and touch are phenomenal, he has a strong arm (not a cannon, but strong), he's mobile for a man of his size and he goes through his progessions well and makes solid reads. He also throws the prettiest deep ball in this draft. I have him and Baker Mayfield, 1a and 1b, but IMO, Rudolph is the safer pick, but I'd love either one. As for getting him in round 2, I don't think he falls that far. I think teams are gonna fall in love with him during workouts and interviews and I believe he goes somewhere in round 1. If he's there when we pick in the first round, I'd be running to the podium to make the selection. IMO, I see a little Ben Roethlisberger in him.

He said decision making is the number one trait in a QB over arm talent, mobility, etc.  I guess that backs up your assessment on him going through his progressions.  I was impressed last night.

The thing is, he has the arm talent as well. The only thing I see going against him is the bias some people have about Big 12 QB's. It's true, that in the past, QB's from this conference have bombed in the NFL and that is a legitimate concern, but I've never seen a QB coming out of the Big 12 that impressed me this much. It's not even close. The same argument can be made about Baker Mayfield though. IMO, these two need to be judged on their own merits and not based on past QB's. I see Rudolph as a Ben Roethlisberger type and Mayfield as a Drew Brees type. I also like Josh Rosen, but I have several concerns about his attitude and injury history. On talent alone, he's right there with Rudolph and Mayfield, but I have concerns. Sam Darnold is the confusing one. I wrote him off midway through the season and thought he needed to return to school, but he finished the season really strong and as of now, I have him ranked as the 4th best QB, but he could still move up a bit.

He has been my favorite QB as well from the beginning of the season. Would love it if we were able to get him in the draft

He'll be in the NFL a long time and is definitely an NFL QB just not a high caliber one. Great touch, relatively safe with the ball, has the size and intangibles that the league covets. Theres times he looks like the real deal out there.

Bad out of structure. Meh arm. Doesn't process information fast enough. Not very accurate, especially from short. Scheme doesn't ask him to do much mentally.

He's got nothing on Mayfield or Rosen but he's fine if you want a good backup/low end starter with some potential to be average. I'd take him in the 4th maybe 3rd. Likely going to go in the 1st or 2nd.

The Jaguars have 4 positions which definitely need to be prioritized in the off-season. They are quarterback (or back-up q.b.), offensive line, tight end and nickel. Based on the draft projections for players at these positions, the best scenerio would be:

Rd. 1: Mason Rudolph - I really believe he'll be available- especially if Darnold comes out. Jaguars will need a solid option in case Blake gets hurt or regresses. This is the top need, because Jags are built to go far for at least the next
3 years and Rudolph seems like a safe pick who has the tools to eventually become a franchise quarterback.

Rd. 2: Will Hernandez- Perfect fit for Jags offense which relies on the run to open up the passing game. 50-50 chance he'll be available.

Rd. 3: Best tight end available from the group of Goeddert, Gesicki, Fumagalli, Samuels or Brennaman. No doubt at least one will be available at this spot and all would be upgrades.

Rd. 4: Best nickel to either replace Colvin or develop behind someone on current roster who starts the season.

I really believe the 2018 draft class is strong at the positions which the Jaguars need to address and if Caldwell/Coughlin continue their streak of finding the right players Jaguars' fans will be in for several very exciting seasons to come.

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2017, 05:39 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(12-29-2017, 02:06 PM)JackCity Wrote: He'll be in the NFL a long time and is definitely an NFL QB just not a high caliber one. Great touch, relatively safe with the ball, has the size and intangibles that the league covets. Theres times he looks like the real deal out there.

Bad out of structure. Meh arm. Doesn't process information fast enough. Not very accurate, especially from short. Scheme doesn't ask him to do much mentally.  

He's got nothing on Mayfield or Rosen but he's fine if you want a good backup/low end starter with some potential to be average. I'd take him in the 4th maybe 3rd. Likely going to go in the 1st or 2nd.

This I disagree with 110%. I believe he and Mayfield are the most accurate QB's in the draft, bar none.

(12-29-2017, 04:19 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: The Jaguars have 4 positions which definitely need to be prioritized in the off-season. They are quarterback (or back-up q.b.), offensive line, tight end and nickel. Based on the draft projections for players at these positions, the best scenerio would be:

Rd. 1: Mason Rudolph - I really believe he'll be available- especially if Darnold comes out. Jaguars will need a solid option in case Blake gets hurt or regresses. This is the top need, because Jags are built to go far for at least the next
                                       3 years and Rudolph seems like a safe pick who has the tools to eventually become a franchise quarterback.

Rd. 2: Will Hernandez-  Perfect fit for Jags offense which relies on the run to open up the passing game. 50-50 chance he'll be available.

Rd. 3: Best tight end available from the group of Goeddert, Gesicki, Fumagalli, Samuels or Brennaman. No doubt at least one will be available at this spot and all would be upgrades.

Rd. 4: Best nickel to either replace Colvin or develop behind someone on current roster who starts the season.

I really believe the 2018 draft class is strong at the positions which the Jaguars need to address and if Caldwell/Coughlin continue their streak of finding the right players Jaguars' fans will be in for several very exciting seasons to come.

Personally, I have a more athletic ILB, ranked above a Nickleback, but both should be addressed in the draft. I wanna keep our linebacking unit young and athletic with Smith, Jack and someone with a bit more speed and shiftiness than Poz.

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2017, 06:30 PM by JackCity.)

(12-29-2017, 05:36 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-29-2017, 02:06 PM)JackCity Wrote: He'll be in the NFL a long time and is definitely an NFL QB just not a high caliber one. Great touch, relatively safe with the ball, has the size and intangibles that the league covets. Theres times he looks like the real deal out there.

This I disagree with 110%. I believe he and Mayfield are the most accurate QB's in the draft, bar none.
His play and accuracy numbers from short say otherwise. Despite a very QB friendly scheme too. Has good accuracy deep..spotty intermediate, poor short.

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2017, 06:50 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(12-29-2017, 06:24 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(12-29-2017, 05:36 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: This I disagree with 110%. I believe he and Mayfield are the most accurate QB's in the draft, bar none.
His play and accuracy numbers from short say otherwise. Despite a very QB friendly scheme too. Has good accuracy deep..spotty intermediate, poor short.

As a whole, he ranks in the top 20 in the NCAA in completion percentage. He had the most passing yards in the NCAA, the 4th most passing attempts and the 3rd longest yards per completion in 2017. At any distance, the stats say it can't be too bad or his stats would be slanted. As someone who watched 9 of his games this season, (10 counting the bowl game), I did not see a problem with his accuracy at any distance. There are things that people can justifiably criticize Rudolph about (no matter how nit-picky they may be), but accuracy is not one of them.

(12-29-2017, 06:50 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-29-2017, 06:24 PM)JackCity Wrote: His play and accuracy numbers from short say otherwise. Despite a very QB friendly scheme too. Has good accuracy deep..spotty intermediate, poor short.

As a whole, he ranks in the top 20 in the NCAA in completion percentage. He had the most passing yards in the NCAA, the 4th most passing attempts and the 3rd longest yards per completion in 2017. At any distance, the stats say it can't be too bad or his stats would be slanted. As someone who watched 9 of his games this season, (10 counting the bowl game), I did not see a problem with his accuracy at any distance. There are things that people can justifiably criticize Rudolph about (no matter how nit-picky they may be), but accuracy is not one of them.

Yeah I know the stats and have seen plenty of Rudolph too. Out of 50 major draft eligible QBs from 2012 onwards Rudolphs accuracy from 1-10 ranks 31st. His accuracy on screens and pre LOS ranks 34th. His total adjusted accuracy is 25th.   He's 16th from 20+ which is very good and easily seen on the field. His spotty accuracy from short shows up alot and you'll see his receivers having to adjust to passes regularly. 

As a comparison Josh Rosen has bad short accuracy but is the most accurate intermediate passer in the country. He ranks 14th in adjusted accuracy.

(12-29-2017, 07:02 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(12-29-2017, 06:50 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: As a whole, he ranks in the top 20 in the NCAA in completion percentage. He had the most passing yards in the NCAA, the 4th most passing attempts and the 3rd longest yards per completion in 2017. At any distance, the stats say it can't be too bad or his stats would be slanted. As someone who watched 9 of his games this season, (10 counting the bowl game), I did not see a problem with his accuracy at any distance. There are things that people can justifiably criticize Rudolph about (no matter how nit-picky they may be), but accuracy is not one of them.

Yeah I know the stats and have seen plenty of Rudolph too. Out of 50 major draft eligible QBs from 2012 onwards Rudolphs accuracy from 1-10 ranks 31st. His accuracy on screens and pre LOS ranks 34th. His total adjusted accuracy is 25th.   He's 16th from 20+ which is very good and easily seen on the field. His spotty accuracy from short shows up alot and you'll see his receivers having to adjust to passes regularly. 

As a comparison Josh Rosen has bad short accuracy but is the most accurate intermediate passer in the country. He ranks 14th in adjusted accuracy.

I don't know where your getting those stats from or whether it accounts for dropped balls, but from watching almost all his games last year, I didn't see anything close to what you are referring to. I've seen almost every game he, Mayfield and Rosen played last season and accuracy, is the one thing that impressed me about all these guys. Each one can hit their receivers in stride and hit them right between the numbers on all of their passes. Personally, I wouldn't mind trading up, if it meant landing any of the three, although I have some concerns about Rosen's attitude and injury history.

(12-29-2017, 11:37 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-29-2017, 07:02 PM)JackCity Wrote: Yeah I know the stats and have seen plenty of Rudolph too. Out of 50 major draft eligible QBs from 2012 onwards Rudolphs accuracy from 1-10 ranks 31st. His accuracy on screens and pre LOS ranks 34th. His total adjusted accuracy is 25th.   He's 16th from 20+ which is very good and easily seen on the field. His spotty accuracy from short shows up alot and you'll see his receivers having to adjust to passes regularly. 

I don't know where your getting those stats from or whether it accounts for dropped balls, but from watching almost all his games last year, I didn't see anything close to what you are referring to. I've seen almost every game he, Mayfield and Rosen played last season and accuracy, is the one thing that impressed me about all these guys. Each one can hit their receivers in stride and hit them right between the numbers on all of their passes. Personally, I wouldn't mind trading up, if it meant landing any of the three, although I have some concerns about Rosen's attitude and injury history.

You can find them pretty easily and yes they account for dropped balls. Rudolph's receivers drop passes at a lower rate than Lamar, Mayfields or Rosen. I don't doubt you have watched him. Just that you might be unaware of how performs in certain areas.  

He has a good deep ball (although he gets nailed out alot). Just doesn't really have a skillset necessary to be a top flight QB. The big issue is how slow he processes information. That's usually the big difference between an average QB and a good QB.

(12-30-2017, 12:40 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(12-29-2017, 11:37 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I don't know where your getting those stats from or whether it accounts for dropped balls, but from watching almost all his games last year, I didn't see anything close to what you are referring to. I've seen almost every game he, Mayfield and Rosen played last season and accuracy, is the one thing that impressed me about all these guys. Each one can hit their receivers in stride and hit them right between the numbers on all of their passes. Personally, I wouldn't mind trading up, if it meant landing any of the three, although I have some concerns about Rosen's attitude and injury history.

You can find them pretty easily and yes they account for dropped balls. Rudolph's receivers drop passes at a lower rate than Lamar, Mayfields or Rosen. I don't doubt you have watched him. Just that you might be unaware of how performs in certain areas.  

He has a good deep ball (although he gets nailed out alot). Just doesn't really have a skillset necessary to be a top flight QB. The big issue is how slow he processes information. That's usually the big difference between an average QB and a good QB.

As usual, we can agree to disagree. You don't rank top 20 in the NCAA in completion percentage if you are poor at throwing short passes and as for him being slow processing information, I just flat out don't believe that. That's not what I saw and the stats tell me that he was quick finding open receivers, didn't turn the ball over and made big plays. I know you're a big Lamar Jackson fan, but we'll never agree on him either. I see a very raw passer who is quick to take off running before he gets through his progessions and despite gaining a little weight, he still has a rail thin body that wouldn't survive the punishment of an NFL schedule at QB, as much as he runs. I watched Kiper and McShay last week and both suggested that if Jackson comes out, NFL teams will demand he also work out as a WR as well, because that's where they see him playing in the NFL.

(This post was last modified: 12-30-2017, 10:00 AM by JackCity.)

(12-30-2017, 09:41 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-30-2017, 12:40 AM)JackCity Wrote: You can find them pretty easily and yes they account for dropped balls. Rudolph's receivers drop passes at a lower rate than Lamar, Mayfields or Rosen. I don't doubt you have watched him. Just that you might be unaware of how performs in certain areas.  

As usual, we can agree to disagree. You don't rank top 20 in the NCAA in completion percentage if you are poor at throwing short passes and as for him being slow processing information, I just flat out don't believe that. That's not what I saw and the stats tell me that he was quick finding open receivers, didn't turn the ball over and made big plays. I know you're a big Lamar Jackson fan, but we'll never agree on him either. I see a very raw passer who is quick to take off running before he gets through his progessions and despite gaining a little weight, he still has a rail thin body that wouldn't survive the punishment of an NFL schedule at QB, as much as he runs. I watched Kiper and McShay last week and both suggested that if Jackson comes out, NFL teams will demand he also work out as a WR as well, because that's where they see him playing in the NFL.
Of course you can. You can see it in his play by how much Ateman and Washington have to adjust to his passes too.  

And look at him trying to play out of structure and when his first read breaks down. He doesn't process quickly and it leads to bad sacks and  missed plays. 

You need to watch more videos on Lamar or learn what you're watching. He'll be playing QB on Sunday. Don't just blindly follow what Kiper and McShay tell you. They're wrong more often than not. Here's a 30 minute video by Matt Waldman on Lamar Jackson's poise in the pocket.

https://youtu.be/HANtlQ57Mqc

(12-30-2017, 09:55 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(12-30-2017, 09:41 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: As usual, we can agree to disagree. You don't rank top 20 in the NCAA in completion percentage if you are poor at throwing short passes and as for him being slow processing information, I just flat out don't believe that. That's not what I saw and the stats tell me that he was quick finding open receivers, didn't turn the ball over and made big plays. I know you're a big Lamar Jackson fan, but we'll never agree on him either. I see a very raw passer who is quick to take off running before he gets through his progessions and despite gaining a little weight, he still has a rail thin body that wouldn't survive the punishment of an NFL schedule at QB, as much as he runs. I watched Kiper and McShay last week and both suggested that if Jackson comes out, NFL teams will demand he also work out as a WR as well, because that's where they see him playing in the NFL.
Of course you can. You can see it in his play by how much Ateman and Washington have to adjust to his passes too.  

And look at him trying to play out of structure and when his first read breaks down. He doesn't process quickly and it leads to bad sacks and  missed plays. 

You need to watch more videos on Lamar or learn what you're watching. He'll be playing QB on Sunday. Don't just blindly follow what Kiper and McShay tell you. They're wrong more often than not. Here's a 30 minute video by Matt Waldman on Lamar Jackson's poise in the pocket.

Again, I'll go by what my eyes tell me and nothing else. I see Rudolph hitting Washington, Ateman, Stoner, Abbott, Johnson and Lacey in stride on almost every pass. I don't see consistent adjustment to his passes at all. As for sacks, the Cowboys allowed 25 sacks last season and that ranked 67th out of 130 teams. Much of those sacks came early in the year when Oklahoma State was missing their two best O-Linemen, Center Brad Lunblade and RT Zach Crabtree. 

As for Jackson, I do go by what my eyes tell me. I was simply using what Kiper and McShay said to back up what I had been observing all year. I wasn't agreeing with them, they were stating what I had said for months. We could argue about these two guys for eternity, but instead, I chose to agree to disagree and move on with other prospects.

(This post was last modified: 12-30-2017, 04:52 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(12-30-2017, 09:55 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(12-30-2017, 09:41 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: As usual, we can agree to disagree. You don't rank top 20 in the NCAA in completion percentage if you are poor at throwing short passes and as for him being slow processing information, I just flat out don't believe that. That's not what I saw and the stats tell me that he was quick finding open receivers, didn't turn the ball over and made big plays. I know you're a big Lamar Jackson fan, but we'll never agree on him either. I see a very raw passer who is quick to take off running before he gets through his progessions and despite gaining a little weight, he still has a rail thin body that wouldn't survive the punishment of an NFL schedule at QB, as much as he runs. I watched Kiper and McShay last week and both suggested that if Jackson comes out, NFL teams will demand he also work out as a WR as well, because that's where they see him playing in the NFL.

Straight garbage QB

Jackson is nowhere close to the prospect Vick was. Was funny when people made that comparison

As fast and good of a runner as Jackson is there isn't 1 thing Jackson does better than Vick did coming out

(This post was last modified: 12-30-2017, 05:02 PM by JackCity.)

(12-30-2017, 04:48 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(12-30-2017, 09:55 AM)JackCity Wrote: Of course you can. You can see it in his play by how much Ateman and Washington have to adjust to his passes too.  

Straight garbage QB

Jackson is nowhere close to the prospect Vick was.  Was funny when people made that comparison

As fast and good of a runner as Jackson is there isn't 1 thing Jackson does better than Vick did coming out
Awful game for Jackson. 

And yes he is a better prospect. He's more accurate , better in the pocket, better mental process and better at avoiding turnovers (apart from today).   

Mike Vick was an amazing athlete with a big arm. Had almost no nuance of how to play the position.

Bad day for me to Stan for Lamar Jackson but here we are.

(12-30-2017, 10:28 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-30-2017, 09:55 AM)JackCity Wrote: Of course you can. You can see it in his play by how much Ateman and Washington have to adjust to his passes too.  

Again, I'll go by what my eyes tell me and nothing else. I see Rudolph hitting Washington, Ateman, Stoner, Abbott, Johnson and Lacey in stride on almost every pass. I don't see consistent adjustment to his passes at all. As for sacks, the Cowboys allowed 25 sacks last season and that ranked 67th out of 130 teams. Much of those sacks came early in the year when Oklahoma State was missing their two best O-Linemen, Center Brad Lunblade and RT Zach Crabtree. 

As for Jackson, I do go by what my eyes tell me. I was simply using what Kiper and McShay said to back up what I had been observing all year. I wasn't agreeing with them, they were stating what I had said for months. We could argue about these two guys for eternity, but instead, I chose to agree to disagree and move on with other prospects.

That's quite odd as even the most ardent Rudolph fans admit he isn't too good from short. 

And yeah probably better off to just see how they play in the NFL. For instance you thought McCaffrey would be bad because he was white. I'd say it's fair to say you were wrong on that.

(12-30-2017, 04:57 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(12-30-2017, 04:48 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Straight garbage QB

Jackson is nowhere close to the prospect Vick was.  Was funny when people made that comparison

Awful game for Jackson. 

And yes he is a better prospect. He's more accurate , better in the pocket, better mental process and better at avoiding turnovers (apart from today).   

Mike Vick was an amazing athlete with a big arm. Had almost no nuance of how to play the position.

Bad day for me to Stan for Lamar Jackson but here we are.

(12-30-2017, 10:28 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Again, I'll go by what my eyes tell me and nothing else. I see Rudolph hitting Washington, Ateman, Stoner, Abbott, Johnson and Lacey in stride on almost every pass. I don't see consistent adjustment to his passes at all. As for sacks, the Cowboys allowed 25 sacks last season and that ranked 67th out of 130 teams. Much of those sacks came early in the year when Oklahoma State was missing their two best O-Linemen, Center Brad Lunblade and RT Zach Crabtree. 

That's quite odd as even the most ardent Rudolph fans admit he isn't too good from short. 

And yeah probably better off to just see how they play in the NFL. For instance you thought McCaffrey would be bad because he was white. I'd say it's fair to say you were wrong on that.
I'm not buying it.  Neither were very good in the pocket or the mental process of being of being a pocket passer.  Vick was a far superior prospect imo as was Vince Young and RG3.  Just not buying Jackson as an NFL QB