Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Kavanaugh confirmation hearing

(09-29-2018, 09:29 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(09-27-2018, 07:26 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: We're about to put the victim of a false accusation of sexual assault on the Supreme Court. Now that the Dems have failed with this lying fraudulent deceitful and downright evil tactic TWICE in your lifetime I wonder what disgusting antics they'll stoop to next year when we get to do this for Trump's RBG replacement?

This is why the man does not belong on the Supreme Court. There is no consensus on whether the guy is guilty or innocent. The nation is once again divided. I have absolutely no allegiance to either party and I still don't know who to believe, but when it comes to these sort of things, I tend to lean towards the accuser for safe measure. I don't want sexual predators out there roaming the streets. With that said, I am not 100% leaning one way or the other. It's more like 51% it happened to 49% it didn't and that isn't enough for me to definitively say one way or the other. I am of the opinion that anyone with such accusations, should NEVER be appointed to the highest, most respected court in the land. For God's sake, if he doesn't make it through, all Trump has to do is nominate another one of "his guys". He has all the power in this situation. He can just keep nominating people he wants until they get through. By pushing this one guy, he's just tainting the reputation of the court itself. I don't know why Republicans are taking such a hard line stance. They have the advantage. It also doesn't help that Supreme Court Judges are supposed to be impartial to political parties and Kavanaugh went on about some left wing conspiracy against him by people opposed to Trump and the Clinton's as well. For this alone, he should be taken out of the equation. He showed his cards. That's a no-no.

If you believe her it's because of your emotions, not her facts. If a perfect candidate can just be smeared this way and his supporters fold insteadof fighting for him then we'll have exactly this kind of fraud perpetrated every time an R President makes a nomination. It will set the precedent and become the norm. No one will corroborate this woman's story, not even herself under oath. It's just another lie for political gain by the left and half of America are either gullible enough to believe it or actively supporting the "by any means neccessary" style tactics to win.

And by "tending to believe the accusser" you both play right into their hands with your emotions AND violate one of the basic tenants of our society ie the presumption of innocence. It's a scam and you're falling for it.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(09-28-2018, 08:40 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(09-28-2018, 04:23 PM)FBT Wrote: Ultimately, not a single vote is going to be changed by this sham of an investigation.  This is just a delay tactic that the democrats have played.  Flake isn't a man of conscience.  He's a guy who hates Trump, and will do anything he can to undermine him.  He's not running for reelection because he wasn't going to win based on that Trump hatred.  This is just his parting shot at Trump on his way out the door.

Even if the FBI goes and discovers that every accusation was manufactured for political purpose, the democrats are still going to oppose it and vote no at the end of the day.  That's what hyper-partisan looks like.  The funny thing is that the evil republicans usually are more deferential when it comes to SCOTUS appointments.  I'm being nice there.  They simply don't have the sack to pull the kinds of stunts democrats do, so you see justices like Kagan or Sotomayor getting republican votes.  You won't see that from democrats with Kavanaugh, yet those two are as ideologically leftist as it gets.

I think it can be more accurately characterized as the democrats have a moral and ethical flexibility that you don't see often on the right. It's no secret they view those who don't ideologically agree with them as inferior. Concocting lies and deception to take down a foe, especially one who doesn't agree completely with their most sacred conviction of abortion, is not seen as a lapse of integrity, but an act of honor. It's not enough to prevent Kavanaugh from being confirmed. His esteem, personal and professional reputation, and above all, his family, must be annihilated for the sake of ideology.

Did you type this with a straight face, knowing how Republicans,. especially their Moral Majority Christian Right core, have swallowed their precious Family Values and ethics pride while hitching a ride on the Trump Train, just for one reason. To overturn Roe v. Wade. And the best part of this farce is, that's not even the real reason Trump wants Kavanaugh on the SCOTUS so bad.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(09-29-2018, 09:51 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(09-29-2018, 09:29 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: This is why the man does not belong on the Supreme Court. There is no consensus on whether the guy is guilty or innocent. The nation is once again divided. I have absolutely no allegiance to either party and I still don't know who to believe, but when it comes to these sort of things, I tend to lean towards the accuser for safe measure. I don't want sexual predators out there roaming the streets. With that said, I am not 100% leaning one way or the other. It's more like 51% it happened to 49% it didn't and that isn't enough for me to definitively say one way or the other. I am of the opinion that anyone with such accusations, should NEVER be appointed to the highest, most respected court in the land. For God's sake, if he doesn't make it through, all Trump has to do is nominate another one of "his guys". He has all the power in this situation. He can just keep nominating people he wants until they get through. By pushing this one guy, he's just tainting the reputation of the court itself. I don't know why Republicans are taking such a hard line stance. They have the advantage. It also doesn't help that Supreme Court Judges are supposed to be impartial to political parties and Kavanaugh went on about some left wing conspiracy against him by people opposed to Trump and the Clinton's as well. For this alone, he should be taken out of the equation. He showed his cards. That's a no-no.

If you believe her it's because of your emotions, not her facts. If a perfect candidate can just be smeared this way and his supporters fold insteadof fighting for him then we'll have exactly this kind of fraud perpetrated every time an R President makes a nomination. It will set the precedent and become the norm. No one will corroborate this woman's story, not even herself under oath. It's just another lie for political gain by the left and half of America are either gullible enough to believe it or actively supporting the "by any means neccessary" style tactics to win.

And by "tending to believe the accusser" you both play right into their hands with your emotions AND violate one of the basic tenants of our society ie the presumption of innocence. It's a scam and you're falling for it.

This is not a criminal trial we're talking about here. It's a job interview, with political, not legal, ramifications. Very different standards apply.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(09-28-2018, 10:23 PM)rollerjag Wrote:
(09-28-2018, 09:07 PM)copycat Wrote: So you are the same person you were at 15 as you are now?  Because 15 year old TJBender participating in underage drinking would act at all like current TJBender?  You are delusional at best.

One point of clarification, and not a minor one. Kavanaugh was 17, Ford 15 when the alleged assault occurred. Those 2 years are a big difference in maturity both physical and mental. If he did it, and you don't want to hold it against him now, fine. But to put her through that, and lie about it now, hanging her out to dry? Hell, no. I expect a certain character from a member of the SCOTUS. Own up, take your medicine, apologize.

After his hissy fit against character smearing Democrats, Clinton retribution and Anti-Trump sentiment being behind his current predicament, there damn sure better be nothing to the accusations. It's hard to imagine him being impartial if anything Mueller drops ends up on the SCOTUS docket.

Fair points.

On your first, my bad.  I should have been more specific.  

On your second, IF he indeed did this then you are correct.  He should have owned it.  Too late now regardless.

As for your third point, if he is telling the truth and not responsible in any way shape or form then the democrats will get everything they richly deserve.  Being appointed to the Supreme Court should have nothing to do with politics and everything do to about following the law.   Our representatives in Washington have forgotten that.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(09-28-2018, 09:50 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(09-28-2018, 09:13 PM)TJBender Wrote: No, I'm not the same person now that I was at age 15, and I never claimed to be. But if I had tried to rape someone at age 15, that should and would stick with me for the rest of my life. Why are you trying so hard to make excuses for a man who was one panty-snatch away from being a rapist? If someone had done the same thing to your daughter 36 years ago, exact same thing, and your daughter told you for the first time recently, would you support that person being on the Supreme Court?

There's a level of decency expected of a normal human being, and then there's the level expected of a Supreme Court justice. If I had even the slightest doubt that someone up for nomination to the Supreme Court had attempted to rape someone, no way in hell do I want them on that bench. Your line of questioning here seems to acknowledge that you think the claims are at least plausible, based upon your asking me if I'm the same person I was at 15 rather than saying it's all a left-wing conspiracy that I'm somehow part of. So why, then, are you so determined to make excuses for someone that you acknowledge might have attempted to rape someone else?

The difference being that I, as my daughter's father,  would call her on her bull [BLEEP] story.

This is why rape victims kill themselves. Just saying, dude.

(09-29-2018, 12:09 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(09-28-2018, 09:50 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: The difference being that I, as my daughter's father,  would call her on her bull [BLEEP] story.

Yep, false victims with false accusations make it hard on the real victims of violence.

You'll also notice that Ford's father doesn't believe her either.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

If the mere accusation, despite substantial contradictory evidence, is enough to prevent a nominee, then we may never see another candidate qualified for the position.

(09-29-2018, 10:05 AM)rollerjag Wrote:
(09-29-2018, 09:51 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: If you believe her it's because of your emotions, not her facts. If a perfect candidate can just be smeared this way and his supporters fold insteadof fighting for him then we'll have exactly this kind of fraud perpetrated every time an R President makes a nomination. It will set the precedent and become the norm. No one will corroborate this woman's story, not even herself under oath. It's just another lie for political gain by the left and half of America are either gullible enough to believe it or actively supporting the "by any means neccessary" style tactics to win.

This is not a criminal trial we're talking about here. It's a job interview, with political, not legal, ramifications. Very different standards apply.

The onus is on the accuser not the accused. Ford's story doesn't pass the test.

(09-29-2018, 01:00 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: If the mere accusation, despite substantial contradictory evidence, is enough to prevent a nominee, then we may never see another candidate qualified for the position.

They know, they just can't bring themselves to admit it.

(09-29-2018, 12:09 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(09-28-2018, 09:50 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: The difference being that I, as my daughter's father,  would call her on her bull [BLEEP] story.

The Virgin rapist....  M night shamilan is going to have a field day

(09-29-2018, 09:51 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(09-29-2018, 09:29 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: This is why the man does not belong on the Supreme Court. There is no consensus on whether the guy is guilty or innocent. The nation is once again divided. I have absolutely no allegiance to either party and I still don't know who to believe, but when it comes to these sort of things, I tend to lean towards the accuser for safe measure. I don't want sexual predators out there roaming the streets. With that said, I am not 100% leaning one way or the other. It's more like 51% it happened to 49% it didn't and that isn't enough for me to definitively say one way or the other. I am of the opinion that anyone with such accusations, should NEVER be appointed to the highest, most respected court in the land. For God's sake, if he doesn't make it through, all Trump has to do is nominate another one of "his guys". He has all the power in this situation. He can just keep nominating people he wants until they get through. By pushing this one guy, he's just tainting the reputation of the court itself. I don't know why Republicans are taking such a hard line stance. They have the advantage. It also doesn't help that Supreme Court Judges are supposed to be impartial to political parties and Kavanaugh went on about some left wing conspiracy against him by people opposed to Trump and the Clinton's as well. For this alone, he should be taken out of the equation. He showed his cards. That's a no-no.

He's not a perfect candidate.
He is a partisan hack who worked for Ken Starr and violated grand jury secrecy rules to manipulate the Press while doing so.
He is a partisan hack who obtained information that had been stolen off of Democratic senators' computers, that was clearly marked confidential, and chose to share that information among his friends, and not disclose the theft to either the victims or to the authorities.
He is a partisan hack who condoned torture.
He is a partisan hack who suddenly believes that the president can pardon himself.
the American Bar Association considers him to only be "qualified" rather than the usual "highly qualified" rating that a person obtains before being appointed judge.
I'm not saying any of this in the spirit of partisanship.
None of these things were true about Neil Gorsuch.
Neil Gorsuch went to the same high school as Kavanaugh and had the same opportunities to write embarrassing things in his yearbook entry.  
We only have Kavanaugh's yearbook entry because somebody that he went to school with thought that we should know about it. In other words, he made an enemy among his classmates, and there is something incriminating there. Ask yourself why this didn't happen to Gorsuch. The need to vote no to Kavanaugh should become clear. It has nothing to do with Christine Ford's story.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(09-29-2018, 09:56 AM)rollerjag Wrote:
(09-28-2018, 08:40 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I think it can be more accurately characterized as the democrats have a moral and ethical flexibility that you don't see often on the right. It's no secret they view those who don't ideologically agree with them as inferior. Concocting lies and deception to take down a foe, especially one who doesn't agree completely with their most sacred conviction of abortion, is not seen as a lapse of integrity, but an act of honor. It's not enough to prevent Kavanaugh from being confirmed. His esteem, personal and professional reputation, and above all, his family, must be annihilated for the sake of ideology.

Did you type this with a straight face, knowing how Republicans,. especially their Moral Majority Christian Right core, have swallowed their precious Family Values and ethics pride while hitching a ride on the Trump Train, just for one reason. To overturn Roe v. Wade. And the best part of this farce is, that's not even the real reason Trump wants Kavanaugh on the SCOTUS so bad.

Roe v. Wade? Moral Majority? Christian Right core? The 80's called. They want their democrat arguments back.

(09-29-2018, 01:42 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(09-29-2018, 09:51 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: If you believe her it's because of your emotions, not her facts. If a perfect candidate can just be smeared this way and his supporters fold insteadof fighting for him then we'll have exactly this kind of fraud perpetrated every time an R President makes a nomination. It will set the precedent and become the norm. No one will corroborate this woman's story, not even herself under oath. It's just another lie for political gain by the left and half of America are either gullible enough to believe it or actively supporting the "by any means neccessary" style tactics to win.

He's not a perfect candidate.
He is a partisan hack who worked for Ken Starr and violated grand jury secrecy rules to manipulate the Press while doing so.
He is a partisan hack who obtained information that had been stolen off of Democratic senators' computers, that was clearly marked confidential, and chose to share that information among his friends, and not disclose the theft to either the victims or to the authorities.
He is a partisan hack who suddenly believes that the president can pardon himself.
the American Bar Association considers him to only be "qualified" rather than the usual "highly qualified" rating that a person obtains before being appointed judge.
Neil Gorsuch went to the same high school as Kavanaugh and had the same opportunities to write embarrassing things in his yearbook entry.  
We only have Kavanaugh's yearbook entry because somebody that he went to school with thought that we should know about it. In other words, he made an enemy among his classmates, and there is something incriminating there. Ask yourself why this didn't happen to Gorsuch. The need to vote no to Kavanaugh should become clear. It has nothing to do with Christine Ford's story.

Legitimate reasons that  were overshadowed by the fraudulent high school stuff. Shows you how strong your case is there if your Dem heroes took this low road to obstruct the nomination.

(09-29-2018, 12:55 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(09-29-2018, 12:09 PM)TJBender Wrote: This is why rape victims kill themselves. Just saying, dude.

Yep, false victims with false accusations make it hard on the real victims of violence.

You'll also notice that Ford's father doesn't believe her either.

I hadn't heard this. Apparently Diane Feinstein didn't either because she sat on the letter for nearly two months before neither her, nor anyone on her staff who were the only ones who had access to the letter, leaked it to the press as a last minute stall and smear tactic. Were Ford's claims so credible, Feinstein could have easily initiated an investigation into the matter.

Let's be honest, the list of legitimate "new" people willing to come forward is probably pretty limited at this point. I don't think the democrats or the creepy porn lawyer will have much luck this week finding new "victims"

(09-29-2018, 01:56 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(09-29-2018, 01:42 PM)mikesez Wrote: He's not a perfect candidate.

Legitimate reasons that  were overshadowed by the fraudulent high school stuff. Shows you how strong your case is there if your Dem heroes took this low road to obstruct the nomination.

No, it just shows that those Democrats don't have a good sense about what is ethical.  Either they simply don't recognize that some of this stuff is worse than a 17 year old grabbing a 15 year olds boobs or they have their own similar shenanigans they would like to hide.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(09-29-2018, 02:06 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Let's be honest, the list of legitimate "new" people willing to come forward is probably pretty limited at this point. I don't think the democrats or the creepy porn lawyer will have much luck this week finding new "victims"

I disagree.  This 1 week extension gambit by the radical leftists doesn’t accomplish their goal by itself which tells me they already have someone with another uncorroboratable story  lined up waiting to be “discovered” by the FBI.  They wouldn’t have done what they’ve done so far to fall short by a few weeks.

(09-29-2018, 08:02 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(09-29-2018, 02:06 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Let's be honest, the list of legitimate "new" people willing to come forward is probably pretty limited at this point. I don't think the democrats or the creepy porn lawyer will have much luck this week finding new "victims"

I disagree.  This 1 week extension gambit by the radical leftists doesn’t accomplish their goal by itself which tells me they already have someone with another uncorroboratable story  lined up waiting to be “discovered” by the FBI.  They wouldn’t have done what they’ve done so far to fall short by a few weeks.

Last I heard, the investigation is limited in scope to only the allegations currently on the table. Nothing new will be considered by the FBI.

On the other hand, we now have at least two former classmates of Kavanaugh who've come out and said publicly that he lied to the committee about his alcohol use in high school and college.

(09-29-2018, 08:24 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(09-29-2018, 08:02 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: I disagree.  This 1 week extension gambit by the radical leftists doesn’t accomplish their goal by itself which tells me they already have someone with another uncorroboratable story  lined up waiting to be “discovered” by the FBI.  They wouldn’t have done what they’ve done so far to fall short by a few weeks.

Last I heard, the investigation is limited in scope to only the allegations currently on the table. Nothing new will be considered by the FBI.

On the other hand, we now have at least two former classmates of Kavanaugh who've come out and said publicly that he lied to the committee about his alcohol use in high school and college.
And she lied about her fear of flying. So they are both liars.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

The real crime is the leaking of Ford's letter. That came from a Dem Congressperson or from Ford herself. Why isn't that being investigated?

(09-29-2018, 08:29 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(09-29-2018, 08:24 PM)TJBender Wrote: Last I heard, the investigation is limited in scope to only the allegations currently on the table. Nothing new will be considered by the FBI.

And she lied about her fear of flying. So they are both liars.

Only one is up for a seat on the Supreme Court.