Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Hutch vs Walker (merged)

(04-20-2022, 06:04 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: https://twitter.com/e_dilla/status/15168...l_r7zcw6OA

And Pederson apparently wants Icky.

Lol

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-20-2022, 04:40 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(04-20-2022, 04:08 PM)Upper Wrote: Prisco just gave us Walker on the CBS live draft show...
I still can’t peg if this is true smoke or not.

I’m a little torn. On one hand, I get it because Walker may have the most upside of any player in this draft. His measurements are exactly the time of player Baalke likes.

On the other, there were rumors the Jags essentially chose Hutch right after the draft. What’s changed?

I hadn't even given a thought about the Baalke/Harbaugh hatred when it came to passing on Hutch...then Dilla tweets about it, Shrags is saying it could be a factor on NFLN, and I hear about it on the stock exchange and the tailgate pods. I don't know if someone inside the building is trying to leak something, or if it's just one persons speculation wagging the whole dog.

We heard that Caldwell and some of the other staff/scouts are adamant that Hutch should be the guy and Baalke wants Walker but is sensitive to his perception if he doesn't take Hutch. Maybe some of the staff is starting to leak a little to put the pressure on Baalke to not go rogue and take his guy vs who the majority of the staff wants.

(This post was last modified: 04-21-2022, 06:11 AM by I am Yoda. Edited 2 times in total.)

(04-20-2022, 02:58 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-20-2022, 01:00 PM)I am Yoda Wrote: Yet we’re in nickel 60% of the time. 4-2-5. I wonder where he would line up, then?

That's not enough for me to justify drafting Walker #1 overall. Hutchinson has the versatility and experience to play in a 3-4 or when we are in a nickel scheme. He's just too perfect a fit.

Of the two, even with my reservations about Hutch being "that guy" based on the Georgia game, I agree that Hutch is a better choice based on college production.  OTH, I don't think the draft is lost if Walker is the pick.  My honest opinion is that there are no elite players at the top of the draft as there are in many years.  There are very good players, but not elite players.

I'm going to be content with any of Walker, Hutch, Neal, or Ekwonu even if that person would not have been the choice I would make.  Any of those four will make the team better than what we have now. And Sauce Gardner may be better than all of them.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

(04-20-2022, 07:52 PM)Upper Wrote:
(04-20-2022, 04:40 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I still can’t peg if this is true smoke or not.

I’m a little torn. On one hand, I get it because Walker may have the most upside of any player in this draft. His measurements are exactly the time of player Baalke likes.

On the other, there were rumors the Jags essentially chose Hutch right after the draft. What’s changed?

I hadn't even given a thought about the Baalke/Harbaugh hatred when it came to passing on Hutch...then Dilla tweets about it, Shrags is saying it could be a factor on NFLN, and I hear about it on the stock exchange and the tailgate pods. I don't know if someone inside the building is trying to leak something, or if it's just one persons speculation wagging the whole dog.

We heard that Caldwell and some of the other staff/scouts are adamant that Hutch should be the guy and Baalke wants Walker but is sensitive to his perception if he doesn't take Hutch. Maybe some of the staff is starting to leak a little to put the pressure on Baalke to not go rogue and take his guy vs who the majority of the staff wants.

Or maybe Baalke has wanted Hutch all along.

(04-12-2022, 09:05 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: At this point, it looks like it’s down to these two guys.

There’s a lot of steam picking up for Walker but most people are still sticking with Hutch.

Walker terrifies me.  I prefer hutch to Walker.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 04-21-2022, 09:44 AM by Mikey.)

(04-20-2022, 10:37 AM)Upper Wrote: [Image: FQyuffLX0AAc7Jf?format=jpg&name=medium]

....Just imagine if Urban _eyer was still here.
Sick

(04-20-2022, 01:00 PM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(04-20-2022, 10:32 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Travon Walker is K'Lavon Chaisson 2.0 if we draft him. The only difference is that Walker could be a very good player in a 4-3 scheme. That's just not what we run though.

Yet we’re in nickel 60% of the time. 4-2-5. I wonder where he would line up, then?

Super-strong safety

(04-20-2022, 02:19 PM)The Eleventh Doctor Wrote:
(04-19-2022, 10:46 AM)Khan Artist Wrote: Hottest takes around.

If the Jags stay at 1 and don't take Hutchinson they're going to regret it.

I do not understand Walker being mocked to us at all.

Here's why:

They want clicks.

You know what gets clicks? Controversy!

It's why last year everyone was like "COULD THE JAGUARS TAKE ZACH WILSON?" when Trevor Lawrence was to the Jags what Harry Potter was to Hogwarts. They had his name down since he was born. Sure he's too young to take on Voldemort (the Titans), but one day we can hope he will lead us out of these dark times we're in. "But no! It COULD be Neville/Zach Wilson!" wrote Rita Skeeter of the Daily Prophet.

There's not much to get excited over in this draft. So they have to say something to justify their pay. If they're right, and Trayvon Walker goes on to be great, they can say "Look what we said way back when boys!" and if they're wrong, nobody will remember.

Everyone, repeat after me.

THIS GUY GETS IT.

(04-20-2022, 03:52 PM)Ordar Wrote: I would be amazed if they don’t take Hutch. Walker is too much of a projection, and we don’t have the the option to miss on the 1st pick. It’s a complete no brainer.
The mock drafters just want clicks and buzz on their articles.

Saying that, Chris Simms almost sold me on Walker.

Oh man, I'd have to chug a whole buncha antifreeze to even consider anything Chris Simms has to say

I really don't care who they pick.

Three out of the 32 first round picks will be superstars.

We have zero clue which three.

Right now... it's a crapshoot. They all are just... meh. 2012 all over again.

One thing I'll say... Sauce Gardner could be better than Jalen Ramsey. Why not spend the 1st on him when everyone else is just a blah?

Let's pretend for a moment that the battle is between Baalke who wants Walker and Pederson who wants Ekwonu? Taking Hutch (and others) out of the equation would you rather have Walker or Ickey?

I think I would have to gamble on Walker's upside in this scenario.

(04-21-2022, 02:04 PM)Upper Wrote: Let's pretend for a moment that the battle is between Baalke who wants Walker and Pederson who wants Ekwonu? Taking Hutch (and others) out of the equation would you rather have Walker or Ickey?

Neal

Excellent reading comprehension as always

(04-21-2022, 02:22 PM)Upper Wrote: Excellent reading comprehension as always
Hahahaha

If it's between Ickey and Walker, I'm going Walker because this team still needs pass rushers and if Walker reaches his ceiling.... Woo boy.

(This post was last modified: 04-21-2022, 03:41 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(04-20-2022, 07:52 PM)Upper Wrote:
(04-20-2022, 04:40 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I still can’t peg if this is true smoke or not.

If his hatred of Harbaugh is clouding his judgement to the point of how it effects this team's draft choices, Baalke has no business being in the job he is in.

(04-21-2022, 09:45 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: I really don't care who they pick.

One thing I'll say... Sauce Gardner could be better than Jalen Ramsey. Why not spend the 1st on him when everyone else is just a blah?

I tend to agree and would have no problem with this move, what so ever.

(04-21-2022, 02:04 PM)Upper Wrote: Let's pretend for a moment that the battle is between Baalke who wants Walker and Pederson who wants Ekwonu? Taking Hutch (and others) out of the equation would you rather have Walker or Ickey?

Neither. That would be a nightmare scenario for me. I don't see Walker succeeding as a 3-4 OLB and I would never take a 3-4 DE in the first round, much less #1 overall. As for Ekwonu, I only see him as an OG. He is a bulldozer as a run blocker, but as a pass protector he's very average and he doesn't work well in space. He needs to be kicked inside, where he can "work in a phonebooth" and utilize his power to keep defenders in front of him.

of the too, absolutely Walker.

but like flgator said, I'd probably go with Neal over either one of these two guys. I still say if we're not chasing Hutch, make a trade down and get someone from the next tier below this group and have some extra picks to wiggle around the rest of day 1 or 2.

(04-21-2022, 09:45 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: I really don't care who they pick.

I feel like people aren't valuing Sauce the way they should be.

He's arguably the best player in this draft and the respect that teams have shown him by NOT throwing in his direction much at all is insane.

I don't hate Ekwonu but I would rather have Linderbaum.

I would prefer sauce over walker, but I think we need to take a chance in Hutch, because we need pass rush.

(04-21-2022, 04:15 PM)Mikey Wrote:

but like flgator said, I'd probably go with Neal over either one of these two guys. I still say if we're not chasing Hutch, make a trade down and get someone from the next tier below this group and have some extra picks to wiggle around the rest of day 1 or 2.
A trade down has always been the best option but no one cares about a top pick this year.

If Bryce Young and Stroud were in this draft, the Jags would have secured a ton of draft picks.

(04-21-2022, 04:15 PM)Mikey Wrote:

There are definitely better options than the Walker/Ickey binary, but I think the reality right now is simply those are the two preferred options of the two men in charge. Baalke wants Walker, Pederson wants Ickey.

The staff wants Hutch and Shad is sensitive to the fact that damn near every expert says we should take Hutch and the organization will once again get raked over the coals if we take Walker, so that remains a distinct possibility too.

Anything other than those 3 seems outlandish.

(This post was last modified: 04-21-2022, 07:19 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 3 times in total.)

(04-21-2022, 05:51 PM)Upper Wrote:
(04-21-2022, 04:15 PM)Mikey Wrote: of the too, absolutely Walker.

There are definitely better options than the Walker/Ickey binary, but I think the reality right now is simply those are the two preferred options of the two men in charge. Baalke wants Walker, Pederson wants Ickey.

The staff wants Hutch and Shad is sensitive to the fact that damn near every expert says we should take Hutch and the organization will once again get raked over the coals if we take Walker, so that remains a distinct possibility too.

Anything other than those 3 seems outlandish.

You're too gullible man, this isnt the time to believe everything you hear and read. Yet you believe anything you hear and any tweet you read. Baalke, Doug, Caldwell, Khan etc. arent going to let out who each guy favors lol.  We havent been very good as of late but they arent stupid. We can speculate all we want but in reality we dont have a clue who each one favors.