Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Hutch vs Walker (merged)

At this point, it looks like it’s down to these two guys.

There’s a lot of steam picking up for Walker but most people are still sticking with Hutch.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-12-2022, 09:05 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: At this point, it looks like it’s down to these two guys.

There’s a lot of steam picking up for Walker but most people are still sticking with Hutch.

It looks like it's down to these two guys, until a new rumor starts next week that there's a 3rd guy in the mix or that either Hutchinson or Walker have "dropped."  And then, when the draft finally arrives, the Jags will do what they intended to do all along, and that is, the obvious thing, draft Hutchinson.

(04-12-2022, 09:21 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(04-12-2022, 09:05 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: At this point, it looks like it’s down to these two guys.

It looks like it's down to these two guys, until a new rumor starts next week that there's a 3rd guy in the mix or that either Hutchinson or Walker have "dropped."  And then, when the draft finally arrives, the Jags will do what they intended to do all along, and that is, the obvious thing, draft Hutchinson.
I really don’t see anyone else entering the mix but I can’t say I disagree with your last point.

I think it’ll still be Hutchinson at the end of the day but the Walker chatter certainly is getting louder.

It's not that hard for me to say Walker because my job isn't on the line. Just watch Walker a little and you can see how rare his traits are. There are so few people his size that can move like him. As PFF Steve said yesterday, Walker is literally as athletic as the average cornerback. If both players hit their 90th percentile outcomes Walker will be the better player by a comfortable margin.

However, Baalke's job is very much on the line. Drafting Hutch may not get him the glory, but it also won't get him fired. He should take Hutch.

I love Travon Walker's ridiculous athleticism and upside, but his production this last season was underwhelming for a #1 pick. I would take Hutchinson of the two, if my job was on the line.

(This post was last modified: 04-12-2022, 12:08 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

If we don't want Hutch I'd go Evan Neal

Hutches athleticism and Walkers are very close

(This post was last modified: 04-12-2022, 12:09 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

https://twitter.com/MathBomb/status/1500...MIESIQSA9w

https://twitter.com/MathBomb/status/1500...qK_TbgWiOA

(04-12-2022, 12:03 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Hutches athleticism and Walkers are very close

I don't really think this is true as I have pointed out, because Hutch gamed the 3 cone. If he ran it the right way he probably has something in the 7.2 range I would guess. We've just seen too many clips of him not showing bend on the field, we saw him slipping and stumbling on the wave drill at the combine (compared to Walker looking buttery smooth), and we saw how upright he stayed on the wide cone of the 3 cone drill. The bend is fake.

All of that said, take Hutch anyway because the power/hands/motor gives him a high floor and we need this pick to be a double or triple...even if he probably won't be a home run like Walker could be if he hits.

(04-12-2022, 01:39 PM)Upper Wrote:
(04-12-2022, 12:03 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Hutches athleticism and Walkers are very close

I don't really think this is true as I have pointed out, because Hutch gamed the 3 cone. If he ran it the right way he probably has something in the 7.2 range I would guess. We've just seen too many clips of him not showing bend on the field, we saw him slipping and stumbling on the wave drill at the combine (compared to Walker looking buttery smooth), and we saw how upright he stayed on the wide cone of the 3 cone drill. The bend is fake.

All of that said, take Hutch anyway because the power/hands/motor gives him a high floor and we need this pick to be a double or triple...even if he probably won't be a home run like Walker could be if he hits.

He ran it the right way, if he didn't it wouldn't of counted. Plus I don't give a [BLEEP] about bened if one is still getting to the QB.  There are multiple ways to get to the QB, I didn't say anything about bend though, I said both are very athletic.

That's like saying you don't care if a WR can separate because he makes lots of contested catches. There are certainly players that can have great careers without having fully formed skill sets, but if you're taking one at 1.01 you sure would like for them to have the full skill set.

(This post was last modified: 04-12-2022, 03:44 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(04-12-2022, 03:10 PM)Upper Wrote: That's like saying you don't care if a WR can separate because he makes lots of contested catches. There are certainly players that can have great careers without having fully formed skill sets, but if you're taking one at 1.01 you sure would like for them to have the full skill set.

If one is out there dominating I don't care how he does it as long as he's getting the job done.  Cooper Kupp ran a 4.62, in a perfect world he would have Hillls speed but i wouldn't give a [BLEEP] if I was a Rams fan because he's a great player and gets the job done and that's all that matters.  More than 1 way to skin a cat

(04-12-2022, 03:44 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-12-2022, 03:10 PM)Upper Wrote: That's like saying you don't care if a WR can separate because he makes lots of contested catches. There are certainly players that can have great careers without having fully formed skill sets, but if you're taking one at 1.01 you sure would like for them to have the full skill set.

If one is out there dominating I don't care how he does it as long as he's getting the job done.  Cooper Kupp ran a 4.62, in a perfect world he would have Hillls speed but i wouldn't give a [BLEEP] if I was a Rams fan because he's a great player and gets the job done and that's all that matters.  More than 1 way to skin a cat

Agreed.  Winning the workout test and not having it translate to the game does no one any good.  The workout/testing trap is easy to fall into.  That said, we draft Hutch my expectations are he will get us 3-4 tackles a game, any sacks will come when the QB is flushed his way by someone. We draft Neal I expect he would do a yeoman's duty at either tackle spot or be able to play guard.  Walker would do well too. I just don't see any of the three lighting it up the first year no matter what they say in the press.  Hutch's comment that once he gets to the pros he is gonna tear it up will be fed to him all that first year as they welcome him to the league.  We should face the fact that during college they very rarely played against the level of competition they will face in the pros.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(04-12-2022, 03:54 PM)Jag149 Wrote:
(04-12-2022, 03:44 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: If one is out there dominating I don't care how he does it as long as he's getting the job done.  Cooper Kupp ran a 4.62, in a perfect world he would have Hillls speed but i wouldn't give a [BLEEP] if I was a Rams fan because he's a great player and gets the job done and that's all that matters.  More than 1 way to skin a cat

Agreed.  Winning the workout test and not having it translate to the game does no one any good.  The workout/testing trap is easy to fall into.  That said, we draft Hutch my expectations are he will get us 3-4 tackles a game, any sacks will come when the QB is flushed his way by someone. We draft Neal I expect he would do a yeoman's duty at either tackle spot or be able to play guard.  Walker would do well too. I just don't see any of the three lighting it up the first year no matter what they say in the press.  Hutch's comment that once he gets to the pros he is gonna tear it up will be fed to him all that first year as they welcome him to the league.  We should face the fact that during college they very rarely played against the level of competition they will face in the pros.
I haven't seen all this bend that he keeps talking about from Walker either

(This post was last modified: 04-12-2022, 04:09 PM by Jag149. Edited 1 time in total.)

(04-12-2022, 04:01 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-12-2022, 03:54 PM)Jag149 Wrote: Agreed.  Winning the workout test and not having it translate to the game does no one any good.  The workout/testing trap is easy to fall into.  That said, we draft Hutch my expectations are he will get us 3-4 tackles a game, any sacks will come when the QB is flushed his way by someone. We draft Neal I expect he would do a yeoman's duty at either tackle spot or be able to play guard.  Walker would do well too. I just don't see any of the three lighting it up the first year no matter what they say in the press.  Hutch's comment that once he gets to the pros he is gonna tear it up will be fed to him all that first year as they welcome him to the league.  We should face the fact that during college they very rarely played against the level of competition they will face in the pros.
I haven't seen all this bend that he keeps talking about from Walker either

I would think the bend is from the pressure the tackle is putting on the rusher as he fights through the containment. To think about it it would be kind of unnatural to be able to do that without some force being applied. Kind of like leaning against a wall. If the wall isn't there you fall down.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

More and more Walker smoke...

(04-13-2022, 10:35 AM)Upper Wrote: More and more Walker smoke...
Yea. It’s really gaining steam the last few days but someone (Zierlein) mentioned it could be to get NYJ or someone else to come up to 1.

(04-13-2022, 02:09 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(04-13-2022, 10:35 AM)Upper Wrote: More and more Walker smoke...
Yea. It’s really gaining steam the last few days but someone (Zierlein) mentioned it could be to get NYJ or someone else to come up to 1.

Agreed. I don't think anyone would be so dumb as to believe we'd take Walker over Hutchinson. Hutchinson is tailor-made for this defense. He's played in both 4-3 and 3-4 schemes as an edge rusher. He has a motor that doesn't quit, he had a fantastic 2021 season and he posted great workout numbers. What else does he have to do to prove he's the best edge rusher in the class?

(04-13-2022, 02:20 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-13-2022, 02:09 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Yea. It’s really gaining steam the last few days but someone (Zierlein) mentioned it could be to get NYJ or someone else to come up to 1.

Agreed. I don't think anyone would be so dumb as to believe we'd take Walker over Hutchinson. Hutchinson is tailor-made for this defense. He's played in both 4-3 and 3-4 schemes as an edge rusher. He has a motor that doesn't quit, he had a fantastic 2021 season and he posted great workout numbers. What else does he have to do to prove he's the best edge rusher in the class?
Have longer arms…..

I kid I kid.

At least there’s some intrigue at #1 this year! So glad the Jags got Lawrence last year. Could you imagine the arguments this board would have over this years QB class?!