Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Trump calls on NFL owners to fire players who protest.

(09-26-2017, 07:15 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(09-26-2017, 09:29 AM)MalabarJag Wrote: 1. So you admit that the 100,000 word screed you wrote about the Confederacy was an off-topic strawman argument. I don't recall anyone here calling any Confederates heroes.

2. As far as anti-American, how can a person who shows more respect for the British anthem than the US anthem be considered anything other than anti-American? I wonder what other countries' anthems the protesting players would prefer? We'll see if any player sits for the Mexican anthem in a few weeks. Maybe Kaepernick would stand for the Cuban anthem.

3. You talk about freedom of speech. Doesn't Trump have that same right to freedom of speech? He was expressing his opinion, not giving an executive order. We may not agree with his opinion, but as an American he has the right to express it. He does not have the right to use government power to enforce his preferred outcome, and he has not done that.

1.  Perhaps I answered hastily.  My citation of the Confederacy addressed two overlapping arguments, not two mutually exclusive arguments.  Nevertheless, there was no straw man, either in intent or in effect.  No, nobody in this thread stated explicitly the confederates were "heroes."  But we can easily conclude as much based on the totality of the circumstances.  You could attend a Jaguars football game wearing a Jaguars shirt.  Couldn't the reasonable person reasonably surmise that you were a Jaguars fan, even if your gear did not say the magic words "I, Malabarjag, am a Jaguars fan?"  Similarly, if you see a guy driving a truck with the confederate flag displayed on it, and he gets out of the truck wearing a shirt and or cap and or belt buckle with confederate emblems on them, does any of his gear have to explicitly state he loves the confederacy in order to surmise he has a favorable view of the Confederacy and that imagery? How often do communities erect statues, monuments, and name school and streets after people they revile?  Should we expect to see statutes honoring Osama Bin Laden  or the Pharma Bro?  Is it reasonable to expect to see a Timothy McVeigh Boulevard in Oklahoma City any time soon?    Why not?  On  the other hand, if a municipality allocates the requisite funds to erect statues and monuments to particular individuals, it suffices to say a significant portion of that community finds the individuals or entities so memorialized admirable.   It's not a stretch to conclude that when people in that community defend the various memorials from criticism or removal, they are doing so in part out of admiration for those persons or entities so memorialized.  It's not a particularly subtle or difficult argument to discern.

2.  Did you ever stop to consider they remained standing for the British national anthem because they were a guest in that country and that Britain was not the immediate cause of their grievance/protest?  Why protest a country if you have no grievance against them?  Not kneeling during the British national anthem is NOT anti American.

3.  Yes, Donald Trump has the constitutional guaranteed freedom of speech as an American citizen that all US citizens enjoy.  I have no problem with that.  The problem I have is that Trump exercises his rights in the most injudicious ways imaginable, wholly devoid of tact and civility and categorically averse to fact and truth.  The negative effect of his unfortunate habits are exacerbated when he engages in these unfortunate diatribes-first as a public figure, and currently as president of the United States.  He used his platform to undermine the credibility of his immediate presidential predecessor by spreading baseless claims about President Obama being born elsewhere, only to ultimately acknowledge that yes, President Obama was born in the United States.  He is currently using his platform to antagonize an unstable leader of a nuclear country, putting us closer to nuclear war than at any time since the Cold War ended, and almost as much as the Cuban Missile crisis.  He is currently using his platform to antagonize a small number of  players who were exercising their first amendment right to silently protest police brutality-NOT the military, the flag, or the national anthem.  What was once a dying controversy has now been brought into the forefront and renewed by his senseless prattle.

1. Who on this board drives around with a Confederate flag? Whether or not one approves or disapproves of tearing down Confederate statues has nothing to do with the fan response to the demonstrations, and what right the POTUS has to make statements.

Yes, it's 100% a strawman argument. This thread is not the place to argue about the Confederacy, which is 90% of your text here.

2. Making an exception with the British anthem is tantamount to claiming that Britain is better than the US. I see it as anti-American and I suspect around half the US population does too. Will the kneelers also stand for the Mexican anthem because they are "guests"? The history of the Mexican police as far as the rights of suspects are treated is not exactly stellar.

3. Heaven knows Trump needs to learn the art of keeping his opinions to himself. But it's hypocritical to ignore the fact that he has just as much right to state a wrong opinion as anyone else. His history of making statements that are wrong does not change that. So far, unlike his predecessor, he hasn't used the power of the Federal government to enforce his opinion.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trump calls on NFL owners to fire players who protest. - by MalabarJag - 09-26-2017, 08:25 PM