Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Trump calls on NFL owners to fire players who protest.

So what do people think of this? 

Has a president ever called on a business to fire citizens for using their constitutional rights to protest before?  

Par for the course but it seems way out of line for the president to be putting pressure on the NFL owners to harshly deal with those who peacefully protest to make the country a better place.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 09-23-2017, 08:33 AM by WingerDinger.)

It's definitely out of line for our President to call for such a thing, but I see where he's coming from. He seems passionate about our country and flag, like a lot of us..

Edit*

Personally, I think they should trot the players out on the field after our National Anthem is played, and take away their platform. If they want to platform, they need to do it on their time and not on company time.

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(This post was last modified: 09-23-2017, 08:39 AM by LetsBReal.)

LOL. Trump is hilarious and just an embarrassment to people ourselves. smh. The real problem with the anthem is the fact that, we cut out and pasted the part we say during the pledge, but the negative part about slavery is swept under the rug.

But the military feels disrespected and are passionate.....Is it the passion for only the cut and paste part, or the full meaning of the anthem? I've always wanted to know from these "Others" who make excuses.

(09-23-2017, 08:31 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: It's definitely out of line for our President to call for such a thing, but I see where he's coming from. He seems passionate about our country and flag, like a lot of us..

Edit*

Personally, I think they should trot the players out on the field after our National Anthem is played, and take away their platform. If they want to platform, they need to do it on their time and not on company time.

That is actually a solid solution. I'll text Shad.

He's also looking at it from a business perspective. The NFL has an image crisis right now. Millionaire players taking a knee and crying about injustice while Joe Everybody has just shelled out a few days wages to take himself and his family to watch said player perform is not the ideal business model. Is anyone else on this board allowed to take a knee in the middle of their workplace and decry American injustice while cashing a check at the end of the day which has 5 or 6 digits on the left side of the decimal point?

I'm all for protest, but like most things, there are times and places for it. I would even support occasional on-field protests, but every game and the subsequent media storm is tiring and distracting.

Let's not forget the most basic element here. These guys are employees of a company.

(This post was last modified: 09-23-2017, 09:14 AM by LetsBReal.)

(09-23-2017, 08:52 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: He's also looking at it from a business perspective. The NFL has an image crisis right now. Millionaire players taking a knee and crying about injustice while Joe Everybody has just shelled out a few days wages to take himself and his family to watch said player perform is not the ideal business model. Is anyone else on this board allowed to take a knee in the middle of their workplace and decry American injustice while cashing a check at the end of the day which has 5 or 6 digits on the left side of the decimal point?

I'm all for protest, but like most things, there are times and places for it. I would even support occasional on-field protests, but every game and the subsequent media storm is tiring and distracting.

I go to work everyday and I'm not forced to stand for any anthem or music.  Before these protest even started beople sat during the anthem but now its a big debacle because the attention on the killings in this country was too hostile for the typical American.  Lets make it about the military and the people that died fighting for freedom instead of keeping it about the injustice in this country and "non-criminal" killings, as they are looked at, that are allowed to go on by government officials and employees. 

M entire family is military and cant just go shoot innocent people even if they look like they have a weapon when on duty.  But I guess that's because their are certain guidelines made by Americans about who can and cant shoot and who can or cant be shoot and get away with it because of excuses.

We tell athletes all the time to "stick to sports" so Trump should "stick to politics."

He also called people who kneel "sons of [BLEEP]" but the white supremacists in Charlottesville have some "very fine people."

(09-23-2017, 09:03 AM)Frailbones Wrote: We tell athletes all the time to "stick to sports" so Trump should "stick to politics."

He also called people who kneel "sons of [BLEEP]" but the white supremacists in Charlottesville have some "very fine people."

Don't use common sense.  I've said it once and i'll say it again, it's not too common for others so dumb it down some.

(09-23-2017, 08:58 AM)LetsBReal Wrote:
(09-23-2017, 08:52 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: He's also looking at it from a business perspective. The NFL has an image crisis right now. Millionaire players taking a knee and crying about injustice while Joe Everybody has just shelled out a few days wages to take himself and his family to watch said player perform is not the ideal business model. Is anyone else on this board allowed to take a knee in the middle of their workplace and decry American injustice while cashing a check at the end of the day which has 5 or 6 digits on the left side of the decimal point?

I go to work everyday and I'm not forced to stand for any anthem or music.  Before these protest even started beople sat during the anthem but now its a big debacle because the attention on the killings in this country was too hostile for the typical American.  Lets make it about the military and the people that died fighting for freedom instead of keeping it about the injustice in this country and "non-criminal" killings, as they are looked at, that are allowed to go on by government officials and employees. 

M entire family is military and cant just go shoot innocent people even if they look like they have a weapon when on duty.  But I guess that's because their are certain guidelines made by Americans with who can and cant shoot and who can or cant be shoot and get away with it because of excuses.

No one is being forced to stand at NFL games either. It's a demonstration of respect. While there are blatant abuses by the police, it's not as widespread and insidious as these protesters and more radical political groups would like everyone to believe. It's now become so sensationalized that simple encounters with the police are immediately framed as racial profiling in an attempt to either a) intimidate the police into retreating or b) using the race card to obfuscate a potential offense. Here's a recent local story that illustrates just that

Colin Kaepernick has no intention of fostering understanding and constructive dialogue. He wants to throw a ninny fit and be respected for it. That distinction is saved for reasonable mature people, not tantrum throwers.

Trump is the biggest snowflake of all.

"Steph Curry might not come to my house? Well now he's not invited! And he can't come to my birthday party either!"

(09-23-2017, 08:31 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: It's definitely out of line for our President to call for such a thing, but I see where he's coming from. He seems passionate about our country and flag, like a lot of us..

Edit*

Personally, I think they should trot the players out on the field after our National Anthem is played
, and take away their platform. If they want to platform, they need to do it on their time and not on company time.

This is exactly what should be done, though not exactly for the reason you say. It'll never happen, the owners will be considered snowflakes for dodging the issue.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 09-23-2017, 10:23 AM by The Real Marty.)

Seriously, the best way to deal with this is to not care. They can sit or stand or throw their fist in the air, or salute, or whatever. I don't care. There's nothing important about it.

Okay, someone's unhappy about the state of affairs in the country. Okay, fine, I get it. But I'm not going to be mad about it.

And as far as Trump goes, I think he knows they're not going to fire a good football player just because he sits during the anthem. He's just saying this for the benefit of his base. He's just waving to his base, saying "I'm with you." The players are doing something symbolic, and he's doing something symbolic. It's all just meaningless noise.

(09-23-2017, 09:15 AM)LetsBReal Wrote:
(09-23-2017, 09:03 AM)Frailbones Wrote: We tell athletes all the time to "stick to sports" so Trump should "stick to politics."

Don't use common sense.  I've said it once and i'll say it again, it's not too common for others so dumb it down some.

Welcome back Solid Snake, we missed you.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(09-23-2017, 09:32 AM)Frailbones Wrote: Trump is the biggest snowflake of all.

"Steph Curry might not come to my house?  Well now he's not invited! And he can't come to my birthday party either!"

No matter how hard you keep trying, the snowflake label is owned by salty liberals. Time to move on and try something else.

(09-23-2017, 08:58 AM)LetsBReal Wrote:

I go to work everyday and I'm not forced to stand for any anthem or music.

If you were my employee and you engaged in political protest while representing my company then I would tell you to stop and discipline you if you refused. Trump is right, the owners should fine those guys for Conduct Detrimental.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 09-23-2017, 11:25 AM by TJBender.)

(09-23-2017, 08:55 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Let's not forget the most basic element here. These guys are employees of a company.

This, actually. The President telling owners of private corporations what they should do with their employees who exercise free speech is inappropriate, but he's not signing their paychecks. If the guys that are signing those checks have a sufficiently strong aversion to the display, they are free to trade or fire those players at any time.

What I don't understand is why he has to say these things? Why is it necessary? Does he not have anything better to do?

This isn't his place. Just as I feel it isn't the place of the players to use an NFL game to push their social agendas. Let the NFL owners handle it as they wish, he didn't need to make a comment.

3 hurricanes leaving people without homes and he's worried about the NFL and people kneeling?

(09-23-2017, 12:42 PM)Frailbones Wrote: 3 hurricanes leaving people without homes and he's worried about the NFL and people kneeling?

You think he is worried about this?

How would you prefer Trump and FEMA handle the outcome of the storm any differently? Can't wait to hear this...