Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
State of emergency declared in Alachua County for white supremacist

(10-20-2017, 04:19 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:
(10-20-2017, 02:28 PM)jradMITEX Wrote: When people start throwing out %, I always ask should a person or individual be treated any different because their race commits or doesn't commit crimes at a different rate than other races?  I think they shouldn't be.  So when they say black people are only 13% yet the commit a disproportional amount of crime, it insinuates to me that it is cool if all the black people are treated the same way innocent or guilty as the tiny fraction of the population that commit the crimes.  Less than 1% of the black population commits these heinous crimes that are being referenced.  Lost in those numbers and %, something hard to quantify in an aggregate way, is what amount of those people weren't doing something that should have gotten them killed or were those people dealt with differently because of their race.  That is where the large % oversimplification fails, it cannot  describe anecdotally what is strictly anecdotal.  Also what is going unmentioned is the history and past transgressions that are seeped into the consciousness of segments of society.  That can't be ignored and is definitely a factor in the opinions of individuals.    
I disagree with the above conclusion on the individual level, if I have no criminal record but I look like someone who might, should I not fear being grouped with other people that do? Or worry about being profiled?

Uhhh... what?

The idea that all black people are treated "the same way" is another lie. Cops don't just going around treating black people like criminals. The statistics I provided don't indicate as much either. There is a misconception in the black community that white police officers are out to get them. I'll give a personal example. One night, it was raining, and I was called to a nice neighborhood where people complained that a white guy and a white lady were trying to break into cars. I get there and see a beat-up Mustang speeding out of the neighborhood almost as if it was fleeing something. The windows are tinted, so I can't see the driver when it passes.

Well, I get behind it and can see the silhouette of a man and one of a woman. One of the descriptors for the male was that he had a hat on. I can see a hat in the silhouette. I didn't need probable cause (reasonable suspicion would have worked), but I waited and saw that he was going 20+ mph, tinted windows, and couldn't maintain his lane. I stop him and and immediately see that they were black. I was going to cut them loose without even writing them tickets for all of the things they did. But first, I wanted to explain why they were stopped and ask if they saw anyone suspicious. I literally said (after telling them about the speeding), "I'm looking for two white people; have you seen them?" Their immediate response, "You pulled us over because we're black?" 

No amount of explanation would appease them. They were convinced. Despite me telling them I was literally only looking for white people, they were convinced I stopped them because they were black.

I can't say how many times someone will play the race card. I'd say it happens around 45-50% of the time. I've caught robbers, and they were absolutely certain I wouldn't take them to jail if they were white. 

That perception is a problem within the black community. That's something they need to work on. The media feeds into it, and no amount of community work from the police seems to fix it.

As for your opinion that any notable number of persons didn't deserve to get shot, I'd have to argue each situation case-by-case because there's no way you can use a broad brush to oversimplify such a statement.

Dude, re read my post you are debating point in which I agreed with you.

Messages In This Thread
RE: State of emergency declared in Alachua County for white supremacist - by jradMITEX - 10-20-2017, 08:27 PM