Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles finally allowed to change plays?

(This post was last modified: 12-16-2017, 10:56 AM by imtheblkranger.)

(12-16-2017, 10:43 AM)Brett Wrote: Just curious, are there any other examples of QB's around the league that have been in the league as long as him that also haven't been allowed to audible through their career?

As has been mentioned. Blake has been audibling all year. The belief it's it's been opened up significantly more now.

(12-16-2017, 09:42 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: He's had three different coordinators.  All of them had to dumb it down for him.  While I have definitely seen him change plays at the L.O.S. earlier in the year, they must have given him a limited script to work with in those instances until now.

I'm glad he's reached a point when he can do this effectively and that he's trusted by his O.C. to do it.

Probably should have been that way sooner, but I'm glad we are finally here.  Hope he keeps up the good decisions.

I think a big part of this is Hackett said in the same interview that Blake is understanding WHY a play is called in this system. So instead of giving him the keys to just change up a play, they wanted him to be fluent in both the system itself and where mis-matches can be exploited. 

For instance, understanding the personnel on the field and how they correspond to the audible you're calling. You don't want to check into a fade route with a big corner covering Shane Wynn for example. 

I think this has much more to do with Blake finally being comfortable in Hackett's offense than it does with his "football IQ"
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bortles finally allowed to change plays? - by imtheblkranger - 12-16-2017, 10:51 AM