Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles finally allowed to change plays?

I had no idea about this.  The article quotes Hackett as saying that last game, against the Seahawks, Bortles was allowed to audible from a run to a pass, for the first time ever!  Seriously?  I mean, when a team lines up with 8 men in the box, Bortles was not allowed to audible to a pass play until the 13th game of the season?  This explains a lot, like in earlier games, I remember teams lining up in a goal line defense on our first offensive play of the game, and we diidn't run a pass play in response.  We just ran right into the teeth of it.

This seems pretty important to me- to line up against an 8 man front and audible to a pass play. 

I guess there are two ways to look at this.  1) Gee whiz, what were we doing for 12 games.  Or 2) Thank God, we're finally taking the training wheels off. 

Seems like this could make our offense a LOT more effective.  

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/nfl-...ast-121517

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Not allowing him to audible makes you question his football iq and decision making. I've seen plenty of times even in years before where we line up against what appears a clear all out blitz and we still don't audible at all.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

It's hard to say when this is Blake's 3rd offense in 3 years and he's still only 25. He's still learning and growing as a QB plus all these offenses.

I think it's more that he's finally fully comfortable in THIS offense to do it.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Yeah. He has been checking out of plays all year. It's been obvious. I think maybe that didn't come out exactly as Hack meant it to or the writer didn't translate it well possibly. I'm sure they had limits on the options of what plays they allowed him to check to and that is what he is talking about expanding.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(12-16-2017, 09:09 AM)Jagwired Wrote: Yeah. He has been checking out of plays all year. It's been obvious. I think maybe that didn't come out exactly as Hack meant it to or the writer didn't translate it well possibly. I'm sure they had limits on the options of what plays they allowed him to check to and that is what he is talking about expanding.

From what I have seen, it's looked like he was checking out of one running play into another running play.  But what the article says is that he's finally being allowed to check out of a running play into a passing play.

(12-16-2017, 09:36 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: From what I have seen, it's looked like he was checking out of one running play into another running play.  But what the article says is that he's finally being allowed to check out of a running play into a passing play.

Agree. Once one has a understanding of the process then the tools to complete it become more obvious. That is what we are witnessing with BB5 and his understanding of the system. At least that is my hope. The kid been ballin.

He's had three different coordinators. All of them had to dumb it down for him. While I have definitely seen him change plays at the L.O.S. earlier in the year, they must have given him a limited script to work with in those instances until now.

I'm glad he's reached a point when he can do this effectively and that he's trusted by his O.C. to do it.

Probably should have been that way sooner, but I'm glad we are finally here. Hope he keeps up the good decisions.

(This post was last modified: 12-16-2017, 10:30 AM by majik.)

(10-22-2017, 03:49 PM)Inziladun Wrote: I was confused. Yeldon clearly looked good for the first down by like a yard......

(12-16-2017, 08:26 AM)SuperJville Wrote: Not allowing him to audible makes you question his football iq and decision making. I've seen plenty of times even in years before where we line up against what appears a clear all out blitz and we still don't audible at all.

maybe his football iq isn't the problem, maybe it's other players on the offense who don't know the audible

(12-16-2017, 08:26 AM)SuperJville Wrote: Not allowing him to audible makes you question his football iq and decision making.  I've seen plenty of times even in years before where we line up against what appears a clear all out blitz and we still don't audible at all.

maybe his football iq  isn't the problem, maybe it's other players on the offense who don't know the audible
GO Jaguars
;

Just my opinion here, and others may well disagree, but getting to 9-4 while the QB is not allowed to check out of a running play into a passing play, is kind of impressive, when you think about it.

Just curious, are there any other examples of QB's around the league that have been in the league as long as him that also haven't been allowed to audible through their career?

(This post was last modified: 12-16-2017, 10:56 AM by imtheblkranger.)

(12-16-2017, 10:43 AM)Brett Wrote: Just curious, are there any other examples of QB's around the league that have been in the league as long as him that also haven't been allowed to audible through their career?

As has been mentioned. Blake has been audibling all year. The belief it's it's been opened up significantly more now.

(12-16-2017, 09:42 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: He's had three different coordinators.  All of them had to dumb it down for him.  While I have definitely seen him change plays at the L.O.S. earlier in the year, they must have given him a limited script to work with in those instances until now.

I'm glad he's reached a point when he can do this effectively and that he's trusted by his O.C. to do it.

Probably should have been that way sooner, but I'm glad we are finally here.  Hope he keeps up the good decisions.

I think a big part of this is Hackett said in the same interview that Blake is understanding WHY a play is called in this system. So instead of giving him the keys to just change up a play, they wanted him to be fluent in both the system itself and where mis-matches can be exploited. 

For instance, understanding the personnel on the field and how they correspond to the audible you're calling. You don't want to check into a fade route with a big corner covering Shane Wynn for example. 

I think this has much more to do with Blake finally being comfortable in Hackett's offense than it does with his "football IQ"
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

It may be that earlier he was given two plays in the huddle and could check from one to the other and now he has carte blanche to go to any play as he sees fit.

(12-16-2017, 02:20 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: It may be that earlier he was given two plays in the huddle and could check from one to the other and now he has carte blanche to go to any play as he sees fit.

I concur. Kill plays are standard for pretty much every offense; you call two plays ion the huddle if you don't get the look you want, you kill the play and go with the second option. You'll even hear Bortles and other QB's yell out kill! kill! every once in a while. 

Audibles are a different beast all together where you're switching to an entirely different play that was never part of the original call in the huddle.

For a guy that was struggling with footwork and ball placement, is it hard to believe that he was locked in to limit play changes? This is how you limit mistakes with the QB.

If he can play without thinking about mechanics and footwork then he can handle more. Honestly progress is good and I sure want it to continue.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

I was told today (from a decent source) that BB is an [BLEEP], is a complete idiot and that the teams has to dumb it down for him. Take it for what its worth.....
Nothing new really, I don't like or dislike BB, which sounds just as dumb as he is but, I'm on the bandwagon that what ever happens this year with the team, the Jags need a new QB next year. Free agent or draft.
Helllllloooooo Lamar Jackson.
LOVE THEM JAGUARS!

(12-16-2017, 07:08 PM)JAGFAN4EVER! Wrote: I was told today (from a decent source) that BB is an [BLEEP], is a complete idiot and that the teams has to dumb it down for him. Take it for what its worth.....
Nothing new really, I don't like or dislike BB, which sounds just as dumb as he is but, I'm on the bandwagon that what ever happens this year with the team, the Jags need a new QB next year. Free agent or draft.

Your source is a fraud and so are you
[Image: giphy.gif]

(12-16-2017, 07:32 PM)leopold332002 Wrote:
(12-16-2017, 07:08 PM)JAGFAN4EVER! Wrote: I was told today (from a decent source) that BB is an [BLEEP], is a complete idiot and that the teams has to dumb it down for him. Take it for what its worth.....

Your source is a fraud and so are you

That is some great info, I feel like BB, dumber now after reading your post.
LOVE THEM JAGUARS!

Lol Lamar Jackson.. 

You want to draft a college QB, who the scouting world is already trying to figure out what position he's going to try to play in the NFL, because it's highly likely he wont be playing QB in the league.

(12-16-2017, 07:49 PM)Eric1 Wrote:

Lol Lamar Jackson.. 

You want to draft a college QB, who the scouting world is already trying to figure out what position he's going to try to play in the NFL, because it's highly likely he wont be playing QB in the league.

Just throwing it out there with Lamar Jackson. The scouting world can have what ever opinion they want, you of all people should know that "world" is full of ........ He will be available on the second day of the draft. BB is not the answer moving forward and that just my two pennies.
LOVE THEM JAGUARS!

(This post was last modified: 12-16-2017, 08:59 PM by Jagwired.)

Bortles is ballin. Best QB in the league the last two weeks. 121.5 passer rating. Talk of change at this time is not appropriate and cause for self banishment of two days. Dilly Dilly!!