Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Going to see an oncologist this morning....

Thank you all for your thoughts, prayers and hugs. It has been a rough week. 

Doctors need to be very careful and responsible when using the word 'cancer' and saying "this or that" will determine if you have it. As Handsome Rob said, the CA-125 isn't super accurate and my doctor who started all this [BLEEP] should have said that. I only found that out after reading about it. It's also why they'll order a CT scan or ultrasound to further investigate. The sad thing is, in my mind I KNOW the only way to say for sure if there is cancer is by biopsy, but when you're confronted with this on a personal level and there are signs and symptoms that fall in line with what they say could be the problem, what you know becomes a bit fuzzy and even kind of disappears for a minute. There is truly a shutdown of the mind when someone tells you you have been referred to an oncologist because why would they refer you if there isn't a problem? And I don't care who you are or how you usually handle a stressful situation, when you are confronted with cancer all bets are off. I've had a lot of curve balls thrown my way in my life and I've been pretty even-keeled with it all but this has been a whole other story. 

As it is, I have no definitive answer. I could have cancer, it could be something else. The oncologist wants to have another CA test done in his lab, and an ultrasound, since they are more accurate when looking at anything regarding the ovaries. He said the language in the CT report was weird and I told him I'd get the films on DVD/CD for him since the imaging place didn't forward them, only the written report, and for some dumb reason they won't forward them. WTH does the patient have to do this crap??? 

On a side note:

I LOATHE the consolidation of hospitals and doctors into 'healthcare systems" where if Doc Smith isn't in the "ABC XYZ Healthcare System" then they don't communicate. And it's not on the fault of the doctor, it's the stupid "system" that won't cooperate. It makes me sick. My PCP was independent but finally caved and is in the "system" now and it's made things much more complicated.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Going to see an oncologist this morning.... - by americus 2.0 - 01-26-2018, 07:25 PM