Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Going to see an oncologist this morning....

Sad 

I wasn't going to say anything until after I knew something for sure but I am nervous as heck and just needed to get this off my chest. I had a blood test done with results that show elevated levels of cancer antigens and had a CT scan Wednesday. I wouldn't be surprised if there is really something there and the test was not a false positive as me and my family are hoping for. 

For the last year I have had signs and symptoms of what I thought was scar tissue adhesion issues stemming from my partial hysterectomy of three years ago. Scar tissue can attach itself to surrounding tissue and organs and cause problems. My annual visit to my GYN with my description of these S&S prompted her to order the test and scan. The scary thing is, some of the S&S of scar tissue adhesion are the same as ovarian cancer. 

The test, CA-125, is not 100% accurate and is why the scan was ordered. Your CA (cancer antigen) levels can be elevated due to a short list of things, most of which don't apply to me, and what's left are real possibilities for my elevated levels and a false positive, but the signs and symptoms kind of cancel those out. 

So.....yeah. That's where I'm at.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

It is good you are checking it and checking it EARLY. Hopefully it is a false reading, but getting an early diagnosis is the best thing.
My friend had just passed last December. A little over two years ago he knew something didn't feel right but never got it checked. He kept putting it off. By then it was too late.

Best wishes and good luck on your testing.
[Image: je8Z3fs.gif]

Good luck. I hope everything works out. As Spots said, good for you for going early. From what I understand, early detection is the key.
“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

As someone who has been fighting cancer for 3 years, I think you're doing the right thing. I had a lot of warning signs that I ignored for far too long. Now I'm stage 4, and have a 8% chance of living longer than 5 years.

I wasn't going to bring it up, but again for the forth time, my cancer has returned. I have surgery scheduled for next Tuesday.

Catching it early is key.
What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

(01-26-2018, 11:47 AM)Dakota Wrote: As someone who has been fighting cancer for 3 years, I think you're doing the right thing. I had a lot of warning signs that I ignored for far too long. Now I'm stage 4, and have a 8% chance of living longer than 5 years.

I wasn't going to bring it up, but again for the forth time, my cancer has returned. I have surgery scheduled for next Tuesday.

God bless you in your fight!
[Image: je8Z3fs.gif]

Sending out positive vibes to you americus!!! (((Hugs)))

(01-26-2018, 11:47 AM)Dakota Wrote: As someone who has been fighting cancer for 3 years, I think you're doing the right thing. I had a lot of warning signs that I ignored for far too long. Now I'm stage 4, and have a 8% chance of living longer than 5 years.

(((Hugs))) to you to Mister!
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(This post was last modified: 01-26-2018, 06:00 PM by HandsomeRob86.)

(01-26-2018, 11:05 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote: I wasn't going to say anything until after I knew something for sure but I am nervous as heck and just needed to get this off my chest. I had a blood test done with results that show elevated levels of cancer antigens and had a CT scan Wednesday. I wouldn't be surprised if there is really something there and the test was not a false positive as me and my family are hoping for. 

For the last year I have had signs and symptoms of what I thought was scar tissue adhesion issues stemming from my partial hysterectomy of three years ago. Scar tissue can attach itself to surrounding tissue and organs and cause problems. My annual visit to my GYN with my description of these S&S prompted her to order the test and scan. The scary thing is, some of the S&S of scar tissue adhesion are the same as ovarian cancer. 

The test, CA-125, is not 100% accurate and is why the scan was ordered. Your CA (cancer antigen) levels can be elevated due to a short list of things, most of which don't apply to me, and what's left are real possibilities for my elevated levels and a false positive, but the signs and symptoms kind of cancel those out. 

So.....yeah. That's where I'm at.

Whats the update? I sent a pray for you. The CA-125 is not very specific at all. Its okay with sensitivity (ruling out), but as far as ruling anything in, not so useful.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(This post was last modified: 01-26-2018, 06:36 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Best of luck Americus (and to you as well Dakota0

.... prayers !!

Thank you all for your thoughts, prayers and hugs. It has been a rough week. 

Doctors need to be very careful and responsible when using the word 'cancer' and saying "this or that" will determine if you have it. As Handsome Rob said, the CA-125 isn't super accurate and my doctor who started all this [BLEEP] should have said that. I only found that out after reading about it. It's also why they'll order a CT scan or ultrasound to further investigate. The sad thing is, in my mind I KNOW the only way to say for sure if there is cancer is by biopsy, but when you're confronted with this on a personal level and there are signs and symptoms that fall in line with what they say could be the problem, what you know becomes a bit fuzzy and even kind of disappears for a minute. There is truly a shutdown of the mind when someone tells you you have been referred to an oncologist because why would they refer you if there isn't a problem? And I don't care who you are or how you usually handle a stressful situation, when you are confronted with cancer all bets are off. I've had a lot of curve balls thrown my way in my life and I've been pretty even-keeled with it all but this has been a whole other story. 

As it is, I have no definitive answer. I could have cancer, it could be something else. The oncologist wants to have another CA test done in his lab, and an ultrasound, since they are more accurate when looking at anything regarding the ovaries. He said the language in the CT report was weird and I told him I'd get the films on DVD/CD for him since the imaging place didn't forward them, only the written report, and for some dumb reason they won't forward them. WTH does the patient have to do this crap??? 

On a side note:

I LOATHE the consolidation of hospitals and doctors into 'healthcare systems" where if Doc Smith isn't in the "ABC XYZ Healthcare System" then they don't communicate. And it's not on the fault of the doctor, it's the stupid "system" that won't cooperate. It makes me sick. My PCP was independent but finally caved and is in the "system" now and it's made things much more complicated.

I do not have cancer. Thank God. I do have a cyst that is causing all sorts of problems and surgery is the remedy. We're not sure how involved it is with the surrounding organs. The less the better. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. Me and my husband appreciate them.

(02-12-2018, 04:05 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: I do not have cancer. Thank God. I do have a cyst that is causing all sorts of problems and surgery is the remedy. We're not sure how involved it is with the surrounding organs. The less the better. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. Me and my husband appreciate them.
Good news. 
Hope they can remove it with no complications!

Keep us posted.

(02-12-2018, 04:05 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: I do not have cancer. Thank God. I do have a cyst that is causing all sorts of problems and surgery is the remedy. We're not sure how involved it is with the surrounding organs. The less the better. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. Me and my husband appreciate them.

That's good to hear. I'm sure it must be a huge relief.

Welcome news all things considered.

Keep going and you'll be on the mend in no time Americus.

Wonderful. I'm so glad for you and your family!
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Thanks guys. It is a "Donald Trump" YUUUUGEEE relief! That's what my husband called it. Lol. 

I still feel like hell thanks to the side effects from the cyst but all things considered we are super relieved. And thank God for pain meds. I hate the fuzzy headed feeling though, but I have been in pain far too long to not get some relief. I've thought about going the CBD oil route for several reasons. Does anyone have any experience with it they would care to share?

(02-12-2018, 09:52 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Thanks guys. It is a "Donald Trump" YUUUUGEEE relief! That's what my husband called it. Lol. 

I still feel like hell thanks to the side effects from the cyst but all things considered we are super relieved. And thank God for pain meds. I hate the fuzzy headed feeling though, but I have been in pain far too long to not get some relief. I've thought about going the CBD oil route for several reasons. Does anyone have any experience with it they would care to share?

Just get rj to wave one of his water bongs like an aspergillum and that should do the trick.

Glad to hear it’s not cancer Americus!! What you’re going through sucks, but at least it seems like there is something they can do about it, and that’s a good thing.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Excellent news, go get that bugger out!

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(02-12-2018, 09:52 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Thanks guys. It is a "Donald Trump" YUUUUGEEE relief! That's what my husband called it. Lol. 

(02-12-2018, 11:13 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(02-12-2018, 09:52 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Thanks guys. It is a "Donald Trump" YUUUUGEEE relief! That's what my husband called it. Lol. 

Just get rj to wave one of his water bongs like an aspergillum and that should do the trick.

Unfortunately, medical quality high-CBD oils aren't legally available here, I have to go black market and get high-THC herb and hope for high-CBD content. Aren't you in North Carolina? There is legislation under consideration there now, no?
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(02-13-2018, 04:45 PM)rollerjag Wrote:

(02-12-2018, 11:13 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Just get rj to wave one of his water bongs like an aspergillum and that should do the trick.

Unfortunately, medical quality high-CBD oils aren't legally available here, I have to go black market  and get high-THC herb and hope for high-CBD content. Aren't you in North Carolina? There is legislation under consideration there now, no?

Yes, in NC. There are farms here that can grow it for CBD oil purposes but it has to have less than 3% THC, or maybe less than .3%. I don't remember. The local health food store sells Charlotte's Web. I've read a lot about it. 

I don't necessarily want the THC part, but I do want whatever can be helpful without turning me into a stoner. Or would knock me out. I smoked some good stuff twice back in the 90's. All it did was put me to sleep. Best sleep I ever had.