Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Wow D6, the Lions missed out on Whisenhunt. and to make matters worse....

Quote:Wow, I'm surprised. I thought you would be against a Jim Caldwell hire. I know I'd hate it if the Jags had a head coaching opening and that was the caliber of HC they were courting. I expect better. 

Here's my take on Jim Caldwell.   He has an excellent background working with QB's and came very prepared for his interview with the Lions in terms of his plans for Matthew Stafford.   The QB seemed impressed with Caldwell.    In addition,  as an Offensive Coordinator,  Caldwell helped rescue the Ravens 2012 season when he was promoted to that role as the 2nd half of that season moved along.

With Peyton Manning as his QB,  Caldwell had major success as Coits HC.  This team was 14-0 before Bill Polian made the decision for the Colts to pull the starters in the 2nd half of the game against the Jets.    While the Colts lost the Super Bowl that season,   Caldwell has coached in one more Super Bowl as the HC than the Lions have been in the last 48 seasons.      He also was the winning Offensive Coordinator for the Ravens in last season's Super Bowl.  

Caldwell is very professional.    The Lions lack of discipline caught up to the team under Jim Schwartz.   Based on Caldwell's history, this shouldn't be a problem if he's the Lions HC.   Take it for what it's worth but Tony Dungy believes Caldwell would be the ideal fit for the Lions.

Having said all of this,  I'm very concerned about Caldwell's horrific W-L record at Wake Forest and in the one season he was the Colts HC w/o Peyton Manning being able to play.   

Like I mentioned in a thread in the AFC South Forum of this MB,  I don't have a strong gauge on Mike Munchak but my hunch is he will be a 10-6 to 6-10 range coach much more often than not.   I rather go with Caldwell but would keep an open mind if the Lions hire Munchak.   One plus with Munchak is he knows many of the Lions Defensive Coaches from his Tennessee days and the team's both used the Wide 9 Defensive 4-3 scheme.  At least there would be significant Defensive Continuity.

I'm totally against Gary Kubiak being the Lions HC.   I wish Kubiak has great health and does well in his career.  But it would very likely be a mega football mistake if the Lions hired him as HC.      

Messages In This Thread
Wow D6, the Lions missed out on Whisenhunt. and to make matters worse.... - by D6 - 01-14-2014, 01:53 AM