Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Wow D6, the Lions missed out on Whisenhunt. and to make matters worse....

(This post was last modified: 01-13-2014, 08:35 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Now they are reportedly going after Jim Caldwell?? Sick :yucky:

This cannot make you happy. I know it doesn't make me happy as Whisenhunt is now in Tennessee. 

I don't get it. How come whenever the Jags and Lions need head coaches, we always get either lesser tier guys like Mularkey/ Jim Caldwell or prospects like Bradley/ Schwartz/ Del Rio???

Does the NFL want each of us to fail that bad???

I thought Detroit would basically have their pick of the litter, coaching-wise this offseason, given their favorable personnel situation. 

per rotoworld: 

ESPN's Adam Schefter and Chris Mortensen report the Lions are focusing on Ravens OC Jim Caldwell for their head-coaching vacancy.

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora has a similar report. With Ken Whisenhunt choosing the Titans over the Lions, it's on to Plan B for GM Martin Mayhew and company. Lions owner Bill Ford Jr. spoke with ex-Colts coach Tony Dungy on Monday, and Dungy endorsed Caldwell. Peyton Manning also gave Caldwell a strong recommendation, per the Lions' official website. Ex-Titans coach Mike Munchak is also still in play for the Lions. They'll likely make a decision this week.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Yawn. Again.

Bradley was not an inferior coach signing to Kelly. Get over it.

Quote:I think Bridgewater at 3 is better value than Mack at 3, yes.

<div> 
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. Clown.
</div>

You know you are addicted to a message board when you start thinking about some other posters away from it.

JW with the burn!

If the Lions were sure they wanted Ken Whisenhunt, why didn't they hire him ASAP to keep him out of Nashville?

(This post was last modified: 01-13-2014, 09:35 PM by knarnn.)

Quote:If the Lions were sure they wanted Ken Whisenhunt, why didn't they hire him ASAP to keep him out of Nashville?
Good point.

Personally I don't think they were high on The Wiz and frankly I don't blame them. He's not someone I would want to have a hand in "getting the most out of Stafford" seeing what he was able to accomplish with Leinart and Kolb. He would have just been another HC retread failure.

I think the Lions are targeting one of the coaches who are still alive in the playoffs. Adam Gase, Greg Roman, or Dan Quinn would all be phenomenal hires. (I wouldn't touch the Belichick coaching tree).
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(This post was last modified: 01-13-2014, 09:37 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote: 

I think the Lions are targeting one of the coaches who are still alive in the playoffs. Adam Gase, Greg Roman, or Dan Quinn would all be phenomenal hires.

lol, the only one of them that would have a chance of even being a "decent" hire would be Roman. 

The other 2 are merely riding other's coattails in addition to having zero head coaching experience. Recipe for failure. 

Besides, its already reported that the Lions are focusing on Jim Caldwell. 

Quote:Good point.

Personally I don't think they were high on The Wiz and frankly I don't blame them. He's not someone I would want to have a hand in "getting the most out of Stafford" seeing what he was able to accomplish with Leinart and Kolb. He would have just been another HC retread failure.

P.S.

Sooooo, now failing to get anything out of 2 bums means that Whisenhunt is a retread failure....I guess Bradley should be blamed for not being able to get anything out of Gabbert then, too. Huh?...

Since when do we care for Detroit?

Quote:P.S.

Sooooo, now failing to get anything out of 2 bums means that Whisenhunt is a retread failure....I guess Bradley should be blamed for not being able to get anything out of Gabbert then, too. Huh?...

Bradley isn't considered an "Offensive genius". And lets pretend The Wiz had no hand in bringing both of those "bums" to town.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(This post was last modified: 01-13-2014, 09:45 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Since when do we care for Detroit?

NFL at Large forum. 

Last time I checked Detroit was an NFL team. 

Is this not the proper place for NFL news? :blink: :ermm:

Quote:lol, the only one of them that would have a chance of even being a "decent" hire would be Roman.

The other 2 are merely riding other's coattails in addition to having zero head coaching experience. Recipe for failure.

Besides, its already reported that the Lions are focusing on Jim Caldwell.

Weren't you riding the Greg Roman train hard last year? And now he's only decent?

The Lions had first dibs on Wisenhunt and took their time. If they really wanted him they would have had him.

If you're a prospective HC with an offensive background would you choose Tennessee or Detroit?

Detroit didn't want him.

(This post was last modified: 01-13-2014, 09:53 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Weren't you riding the Greg Roman train hard last year? And now he's only decent?

The Lions had first dibs on Wisenhunt and took their time. If they really wanted him they would have had him.

If you're a prospective HC with an offensive background would you choose Tennessee or Detroit?

Detroit didn't want him.

I like Roman. I'm saying he's the only one of the 3 you mentioned that would have a chance. But yes lets fixate on the adjectives used. LOL> 

The other 2 would be horrible choices. Then again, as would J Caldwell. 

I really don't know what Detroit can do at this point. 

And I wouldn't say Detroit dragged their feet, they could't interview Whiz until he was done from the playoffs. Per reports he was considered the front runner for the gig. Something shady went down....probably the NFL making back room deals to ensure that the Titans get themselves a good coach with the intent of the harm that does to Jacksonville in their attempt to win games in this division. We all know the NFL wants to get their way and have Jacksonville fail so the franchise moves to London or LA. What Goodell & the money people want, Goodell and the money people get.,,,Just my opinion on those greedy suits, anyway....

Quote:I like Roman. I'm saying he's the only one of the 3 you mentioned that would have a chance. But yes lets fixate on the adjectives used. LOL>

The other 2 would be horrible choices. Then again, as would J Caldwell.

I really don't know what Detroit can do at this point.

And I wouldn't say Detroit dragged their feet, they could't interview Whiz until he was done from the playoffs.
Per reports he was considered the front runner for the gig. Something shady went down....probably the NFL making back room deals to ensure that the Titans get themselves a good coach with the intent of the harm that does to Jacksonville in their attempt to win games in this division. We all know the NFL wants to get their way and have Jacksonville fail so the franchise moves to London or LA. What Goodell & the money people want, Goodell and the money people get.,,,Just my opinion on those greedy suits, anyway....

Put down that tin foil hat.

Quote: Per Rapoport, Whisenhunt met with the Detroit Lions on Thursday, followed by an interview with the Tennessee Titans on Friday and the Cleveland Browns on Saturday.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000311097/article/ken-whisenhunt-to-interview-with-detroit-lions-today'>http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000311097/article/ken-whisenhunt-to-interview-with-detroit-lions-today</a>

They had first dibs and they didn't want him.

Now we are supposed to be scared of Ken Whisenhut?? Wallbash  :woot:

Quote:Now we are supposed to be scared of Ken Whisenhut?? Wallbash  :woot:

Not scared of him, but would have been nice to see at least one team in the division make a bad move for once. I was hoping the Titans would have went with Gase or Quinn. I believe both would have failed miserably there. 

LOL at the implied Whisenhunt shot, btw.....I guess all of a sudden its now not impressive to come within seconds of winning a SB while coach of the Arizona Cardinals.... 

(This post was last modified: 01-13-2014, 10:13 PM by knarnn.)

Quote:LOL at the implied Whisenhunt shot, btw.....I guess all of a sudden its now not impressive to come within seconds of winning a SB while coach of the Arizona Cardinals....

He sure was a hot commodity last year. Had to have been difficult to turn down all those HC interviews to take the OC job in San Diego.

Quote:Weren't you riding the Greg Roman train hard last year? And now he's only decent?

Detroit didn't want him.

He was loving him some Greg Roman last year. Doesn't Roman also ride the coattails of someone else (Kaepernick/Harbaugh) and thus should be disqualified?

"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

He was loving Roman. After he stopped loving Bradley because the jags hired him and caught him by surprise.

He knows about as much about what makes a good head coach as he does about qb's.

Quote:He was loving Roman. After he stopped loving Bradley because the jags hired him and caught him by surprise.

But before that it was "Caldwell better not be lazy and just hire his former roommate."