Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Blake Bortles Signs Extension through 2020

(02-26-2018, 04:33 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(02-26-2018, 07:58 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/jacksonville-jaguars/cap/

Average of 15.5 towards the cap

Nah, it's still $18 mil. You're overlooking the $5 mil dead money that would be in the books for 2020 if cut after two years.

His cap hit structure is interesting... $10 mil this year... but then $21 mil in 2019 and $23 mil in 2020. That's without earning a possible $4.125 mil more in any year with the incentives.

I have a couple questions that I'm not necessarily expecting an answer to, but I might as well ask...
  • How does he reach his incentives? Is it like, make the SB and you get the entire $4.125 mil, or is it split up for differing things?
  • His $26.5 mil guaranteed is interesting. The signing bonus was $15 mil which counts $5 mil each year. The other $11.5 mil is his entire $5 mil base salary for 2018 and then $6.5 mil of his 2019 salary. This means if he's cut after 2018, he'll count $16.5 mil as dead money in 2019 ($10 SB amortization plus the $6.5 mil guaranteed salary). However, there's a note that says the guaranteed portion of his 2019 salary "contains offsets." What do you think that means?
It's going to be tough to keep Blake on the roster in 2020, so ideally he's starting 2018 and 2019 and then our developing draft pick will take over for 2020. I have my eyes on Litton out of Marshall (he'd be our 2nd qb from the school) and Folk out of WA State, and I expect one of them to still be there near the end of round three. At any rate, Blake has a $23 mil plus incentives cap hit that will drop to a $5 mil dead money hit if released after 2019... an $18 mil savings for 2020.

Regarding your second question about the 'offset', it means if he were cut in 2019 and a new team were to sign him, then there would be a reduction in the dead cap hit at a max of 6.5 million

Messages In This Thread
JagFanFirst - by JagFanFirst - 02-24-2018, 09:09 PM
RE: JagFanFirst - by Eric1 - 02-24-2018, 09:21 PM
RE: Blake Bortles Signs Extension through 2020 - by jagshype - 02-26-2018, 05:17 PM