Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Blake Bortles Signs Extension through 2020

(02-28-2018, 09:43 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(02-28-2018, 08:49 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Right, which is why I mentioned in an earlier post that if cut after this season his dead is 10-16.5M. IF he bombs, who would pay him more than 6.5M? I used the example of Foles, he avg'd 5.5M. IF he plays decent then yes I can see someone paying him more. Still though 10M in dead $ IMO is a lot, when if the actual plan is to move on after the season just give him 19M option this season and move on. They opened room this season for Arob and a possible FA OG, but it'll hurt next season.

Oh I would have preferred the option myself, but the $10 million isn't as bad on 2nd glance when you consider the likely successor if Bortles is out of here after the season would be on a very team friendly rookie deal.  Bortles would have to bomb pretty bad or have a significant injury to not make something in the ball park of at least $6.5 million next year if not more.  And again, it's either $10 million next year and be done with his cap hits, or it's pay him his $16 million base for a 2019 cap hit of $16.5 million AND still have another $5 million cap hit in 2020 coming.  The only way they're paying him next year is if he is the bona fide starter of this team without any question.
If Bortles bombs,  I think the best example we can use is how much Glennon makes this offseason. Bortles contract is in a way the Glennon contract, but with much more dead money. Glennon only cost the Bears 6M moving forward. He will be paid to be a back up. Back ups don't really get 7M+. We will see though if that changes. If Bortles bombs, he won't be looked in a starter view or even as a bridge QB because this is the bridge contract. Best case scenario is Bortles just plays very well and earns the money, rather than playing below average and being cut and costing the Jags 10-16.5M in dead. It makes no sense to have a QB in the 23M range and back up 7M+. Worst case is he bombs and costs the Jags 16.5M.

Messages In This Thread
JagFanFirst - by JagFanFirst - 02-24-2018, 09:09 PM
RE: JagFanFirst - by Eric1 - 02-24-2018, 09:21 PM
RE: Blake Bortles Signs Extension through 2020 - by The_Franchise_QB - 02-28-2018, 11:30 PM