Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
6-Yr Old Boy Killed By Family Dog (Pit Bull)

(05-26-2018, 02:19 AM)OEric1 Wrote:
(05-25-2018, 09:21 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: That might be true if it were true of other breeds too. While you can occasionally read about an attack by some other breed, one particular breed, pit bulls, account for more than half of the attacks on humans. I'm pretty sure pit bulls don't make up half of the total dog population.

Or are you saying it's only pit bulls that are poorly raised and handled?

Small little rat dogs account for more dog bites than any type of dog. The difference is that their little yapping mouth doesn't do much damage when it bites you. Maybe it draws a little blood and breaks the skin. Those attacks aren't reported though because they do very little damage.

Pits get such a bad rep because when they do get nasty, their lock jaw/pure jaw strength (and strength in general, because they're all muscle) can do a lot of damage to just about anything (same with Rotts, Dobermans etc).

I've went into multiple people's houses who had Pits, that I was a stranger to when first entering and never did I ever feel threatened or scared. For one, it's mostly about knowing how to interact with dogs to begin with.

Pits are a very smart breed of dog and they get an awful rep because people don't know how to respect them, or how to raise them in some cases. That goes with any kind of dog though. You could get a Lab, which is one of the most friendly breeds, but if you keep them locked in a room/cage, give them no human interaction and treat them like garbage. They're going to be just as mean and nasty as any other breed of dog who has to deal with that same crap.

Which all goes back to the fact that we don't have any clue what that 6 year old might have been doing to that dog which caused him to attack. Maybe he was getting into his feeding time. Maybe he was hitting it, or pulling on it's tail causing it pain etc. Maybe he was a poorly raised dog. All we know is that a little kid got killed because of a Pit.

It's a shame that the kid was killed, but the breed as a whole shouldn't be punished because of the actions of one, or two of them. If that's the case, then our entire human race should be wiped off of this planet because there's a whole lot of awful humans that reside here.

And I've never owned a Pit, but I've been around a lot of them and they have all been nothing but big teddy bears.

This. 

.jpeg   95C40CD9-26B0-4127-881B-DC2CD3C3B44A.jpeg (Size: 119.44 KB / Downloads: 146)
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: 6-Yr Old Boy Killed By Family Dog (Pit Bull) - by B2hibry - 05-26-2018, 08:47 AM