Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
6-Yr Old Boy Killed By Family Dog (Pit Bull)

http://triblive.com/state/pennsylvania/1...de-altoona

Probably not political but I'm sure it will get there soon .... personally, I'm still trying to figure out whether this is Obama's fault or Trump's fault.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Much like kids, it’s how well they are raised and handled.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(05-25-2018, 01:27 PM)B2hibry Wrote: Much like kids, it’s how well they are raised and handled.

Agreed.

(05-25-2018, 01:27 PM)B2hibry Wrote: Much like kids, it’s how well they are raised and handled.

I steer clear of pit bulls regardless of how well they’re raised.

That might be true if it were true of other breeds too. While you can occasionally read about an attack by some other breed, one particular breed, pit bulls, account for more than half of the attacks on humans. I'm pretty sure pit bulls don't make up half of the total dog population.

Or are you saying it's only pit bulls that are poorly raised and handled?

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Pitbulls are banned here. Wish the same was true of rottweilers too. It only needs a young kid to go near one while they are eating and it could lead to disaster.

(05-25-2018, 09:39 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Pitbulls are banned here. Wish the same was true of rottweilers too. It only needs a young kid to go near one while they are eating and it could lead to disaster.

Mama, is there anything you aren't scared of?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(05-25-2018, 09:41 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(05-25-2018, 09:39 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Pitbulls are banned here. Wish the same was true of rottweilers too. It only needs a young kid to go near one while they are eating and it could lead to disaster.

Mama, is there anything you aren't scared of?

Internet tough guys... Such a rare breed

(05-25-2018, 09:21 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:

That might be true if it were true of other breeds too. While you can occasionally read about an attack by some other breed, one particular breed, pit bulls, account for more than half of the attacks on humans. I'm pretty sure pit bulls don't make up half of the total dog population.

Not sure I agree with your claim. Most bites/attacks are from your garden variety retriever. Anyways, with some exceptions, most people end up getting a pit because of the “cool” factor. They don’t understand the breed. The aren’t Alpha or attentive enough to raise it properly. And no matter the breed, you should always watch dogs around small children, especially at feeding time.

I own two “dangerous” breeds, an adopted deaf pit and a Dogo Argentino. Can be scary and protective but really just big lovers when you keep them in check.

(05-25-2018, 09:42 PM)lastonealive Wrote:
(05-25-2018, 09:41 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Mama, is there anything you aren't scared of?

Meh, just an observation that everything to you is scary and should be banned.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 05-26-2018, 08:33 AM by B2hibry.)

They’re animals. People dumb enough to let their kids try to play with them at feeding time probably shouldn’t own any breed.

Heck, ever see what could happen when you get between a big boy and cake? Just as violent!

(05-25-2018, 01:09 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: http://triblive.com/state/pennsylvania/1...de-altoona

Probably not political but I'm sure it will get there soon .... personally, I'm still trying to figure out whether this is Obama's fault or Trump's fault.

There are no bad dogs. Just bad people with dogs.

(05-26-2018, 01:20 AM)TJBender Wrote:
(05-25-2018, 01:09 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: http://triblive.com/state/pennsylvania/1...de-altoona

There are no bad dogs. Just bad people with dogs.

Agreed.

(05-25-2018, 09:21 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:

Small little rat dogs account for more dog bites than any type of dog. The difference is that their little yapping mouth doesn't do much damage when it bites you. Maybe it draws a little blood and breaks the skin. Those attacks aren't reported though because they do very little damage.

Pits get such a bad rep because when they do get nasty, their lock jaw/pure jaw strength (and strength in general, because they're all muscle) can do a lot of damage to just about anything (same with Rotts, Dobermans etc).

I've went into multiple people's houses who had Pits, that I was a stranger to when first entering and never did I ever feel threatened or scared. For one, it's mostly about knowing how to interact with dogs to begin with.

Pits are a very smart breed of dog and they get an awful rep because people don't know how to respect them, or how to raise them in some cases. That goes with any kind of dog though. You could get a Lab, which is one of the most friendly breeds, but if you keep them locked in a room/cage, give them no human interaction and treat them like garbage. They're going to be just as mean and nasty as any other breed of dog who has to deal with that same crap.

Which all goes back to the fact that we don't have any clue what that 6 year old might have been doing to that dog which caused him to attack. Maybe he was getting into his feeding time. Maybe he was hitting it, or pulling on it's tail causing it pain etc. Maybe he was a poorly raised dog. All we know is that a little kid got killed because of a Pit.

It's a shame that the kid was killed, but the breed as a whole shouldn't be punished because of the actions of one, or two of them. If that's the case, then our entire human race should be wiped off of this planet because there's a whole lot of awful humans that reside here.

And I've never owned a Pit, but I've been around a lot of them and they have all been nothing but big teddy bears.

I understand why people are scared of pit bulls. The evidence is clear that they are far more likely than every other breed combined to harm you. A study showed that 65% of all deaths from dog attacks since 2005 have been pit bulls, that is an extraordinary overrepresentation compared to the number of dogs.

However, not trying to sound callous toward the victims, that total is still only 254 deaths during that time frame. If we're going to start banning anything that kills ~20 people a year it's going to be a long, long list. It is kind of unfair that pit bulls would be specifically targeted out of that list.

(05-25-2018, 09:42 PM)lastonealive Wrote:
(05-25-2018, 09:41 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Mama, is there anything you aren't scared of?

Apologies for the autocorrect, that should be "man", not "mama".

(05-26-2018, 02:19 AM)OEric1 Wrote:
(05-25-2018, 09:21 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: That might be true if it were true of other breeds too. While you can occasionally read about an attack by some other breed, one particular breed, pit bulls, account for more than half of the attacks on humans. I'm pretty sure pit bulls don't make up half of the total dog population.

Small little rat dogs account for more dog bites than any type of dog. The difference is that their little yapping mouth doesn't do much damage when it bites you. Maybe it draws a little blood and breaks the skin. Those attacks aren't reported though because they do very little damage.

Pits get such a bad rep because when they do get nasty, their lock jaw/pure jaw strength (and strength in general, because they're all muscle) can do a lot of damage to just about anything (same with Rotts, Dobermans etc).

I've went into multiple people's houses who had Pits, that I was a stranger to when first entering and never did I ever feel threatened or scared. For one, it's mostly about knowing how to interact with dogs to begin with.

Pits are a very smart breed of dog and they get an awful rep because people don't know how to respect them, or how to raise them in some cases. That goes with any kind of dog though. You could get a Lab, which is one of the most friendly breeds, but if you keep them locked in a room/cage, give them no human interaction and treat them like garbage. They're going to be just as mean and nasty as any other breed of dog who has to deal with that same crap.

Which all goes back to the fact that we don't have any clue what that 6 year old might have been doing to that dog which caused him to attack. Maybe he was getting into his feeding time. Maybe he was hitting it, or pulling on it's tail causing it pain etc. Maybe he was a poorly raised dog. All we know is that a little kid got killed because of a Pit.

It's a shame that the kid was killed, but the breed as a whole shouldn't be punished because of the actions of one, or two of them. If that's the case, then our entire human race should be wiped off of this planet because there's a whole lot of awful humans that reside here.

And I've never owned a Pit, but I've been around a lot of them and they have all been nothing but big teddy bears.

This. 

.jpeg   95C40CD9-26B0-4127-881B-DC2CD3C3B44A.jpeg (Size: 119.44 KB / Downloads: 144)

I have 2 dogs. Both are lab/hound mixes. They wouldn't hurt a fly, but I also know not to "poke the bear." No dog should ever be bothered during their meal times. That's just something every kid should be taught. Dogs base their entire lives around food and if they perceive someone might take that food away, you never know what can happen. Most dogs do nothing when you mess with their food, but others (it doesn't matter the breed,) might try and rip your arm off. I can do anything to my dog's food while they are eating and they do nothing, but if one dog looks at the other dog sideways, during mealtime, there's a fight brewing. They never actually bite one another, just growling, teeth gnashing and charges, but as soon as I start yelling for them to quit, they stop. You just have to be able to read a dog. Aggression is not breed specific. I saw an interview with Cesar Milan (The Dog Whisperer) and he said the worst bite he ever suffered from a dog was a yellow lab. My dad was bitten by a Saint Bernard as a kid and my sister was bitten by a Cocker Spaniel. There was even a lady last week who was mauled to death by a pack of Daschunds! Yes, you read that right, weiner dogs! I still don't understand how that happened though. She should've been able to just kick them off.

My friend was letting his pit mastiff Kilroy run at Huguenot Park one day, when it suddenly took off due west at full speed. He chased it but Kilroy was gone. After fruitlessly searching for two hours, my friend returned home, fearing he'd lost his dog. When he got there, he had a message on his answering machine informing him that Kilroy's head was stuck in a hole in a chain link fence behind which was their female pit, who was in heat, and over a mile from Huguenot Park.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

I think it's safe to say a poorly raised and handled pit bull is more dangerous than a poorly raised and handled Chihuahua, but not half as annoying.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]