Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The problem with millennials rests between their ears.

(06-13-2018, 02:04 PM)JagsorDie Wrote: I agree with a lot of this but i would argue that another issue looming around this discussion is lumping together vast numbers of a  generation of people and saying all that they same problems. It is an easy and comforting solution that people(generally who are not in the demographic they are labeling) use to explain problems that are far more complex and have much deep roots than something as simple as one or two trains of thought are frequent in a generation could ever explain. Not going into the shier fact that everyone behaves in different manors mainly because of there up bringing's( that is another topic for another time) which in my opinion has little to do with the time period they were born into.

I would think that a lot of problems exist because of the public institutional structures, such as public schooling, that have enormous impacts on our youth and is flawed in some of the profound ways. Lets start with the manor in which there places are funded. These school receive funding based off of a standardized test score that is meant to determine the quality of education that is being provided by its staff. Except that becomes the main focus of the staff. Not training these kids how to create businesses or pay proper taxes or skilled trades. They no longer go to an individual student, analyze them, and ask 'what will this student do that will help him not only succeed in life but be contributing member of our society.' no.  they throw them into classes to pass the FCAT and call it a day. Then if they do make it to college and have to actually critically think and learn, they are starting well behind where a student who went to college prep school would be. There is a reason they have to lock kids in school and structure them in a similar manor as a prison.

I don't know what generation i fall into(1990) but i know i really don't care because i don't identify with whole groups in such a way. I believe that every persons behavior and perspective on life is impacted by every event that they have experience with the time and order they occurred being equal as impactful(sort of a butterfly effect scenario). i think that this makes us all different and unique. Biologically we are all very similar, it is our behavior that makes all of us unique and behavior is something generally taught not inherited.

Those are just some of my core beliefs.

Indeed.... technically a millennial is someone who "came of age in the new millennium" so anyone who was a teenager or coming to adulthood through the 2000s.

It is a wide net to cast upon people and I'm willing to bet that a lot of people born within that time frame would not identify as "millennials".
Mostly because millennial is a negative term now.... synonymous with snowflake, soft, cry baby, etc.

So, lets remove the term. The generation brand.
There's still a large number of young people today that actually think they can retire at 56 and will be millionaires.
This is why we have such a large contingent of people who think they are owed something they haven't earned. They have this wild idea that isn't feasible. And unless or until they hit that goal someone should make it happen for them... otherwise they'll be unhappy....
and unhappiness leads to suicide, mass murder, and otherwise idiotic thoughts with these people.

I agree with you that a big part of it is public institutions... ESPECIALLY government funded public schools.
But the #1 onus falls on the parent(s). We as parents gotta do better than the ones before us. Cuz they were coasting or something... and it has led to poor results, imo.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The problem with millennials rests between their ears. - by Kane - 06-13-2018, 03:32 PM