Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The problem with millennials rests between their ears.

Here's the thing... 
Once upon a time someone thought it was a good idea to tell your kid they could be whatever they wanted to be.
It was more important to focus on self-esteem and make sure everyone got a ribbon.

I remember it clearly because I was actually a child when it started. Technically speaking I am a millennial, though I don't ever relate, associate, or consider myself such.
A new study by TDAmeritrade (which... should have polled more than 1500 people, imo) states that millennials expect to retire by 56.
Currently the "government retirement" age is 62.5 (iirc)
lol

I don't remember the last time anyone could "retire" at 56.... Outside of going to work somewhere that has full on pensions and such.

Also, they think they'll all be millionaires at some point in life.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/features/mos...-at-age-56

Just wondering how they expect this to happen when they have mounting student debt, degrees that major in English Lit and Arts & Crafts, the age of collecting social security rises every year, the likelihood of becoming a millionaire is slim, and many of them are too busy whining, complaining, crying, and protesting instead of working hard, investing, and saving.

As always... I blame the parents really.
Somewhere in the 80's and 90's... Parents messed up big... 
And that idea/mind set they set us up with carried thru the 2000's...
And now... I fear it's too late to go back. Yet I still urge anyone who will listen... if you're a young adult... get your mind right. If you're a parent of a young child... teach them well.... be realistic.
They CAN'T be anything they want to be. But they CAN be whatever they work hard toward achieving that is within their intellectual and physical abilities.

And they should bank on not having Social Security to fall back on....
and they should really get used to the idea of working into their 60s

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 06-13-2018, 01:23 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(This post was last modified: 06-13-2018, 01:38 PM by The Drifter.)

Well Said, I'm a boomer and I was brought up to believe you work for what you what..... My Dad had me pulling weeds, mowing the lawn and that sort of thing. Sure I complained about it but it taught me to be self reliant.
These kids today expect everything to be handed to them and boy are they in for a shock when the real world kicks them in the [BLEEP]
Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

“The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise.”

and

"The young people of today think of nothing but themselves. They have no reverence for parents or old age. They are impatient of all restraint. They talk as if they alone knew everything and what passes for wisdom with us is foolishness with them. As for girls, they are forward, immodest and unwomanly in speech, behaviour and dress."

and

"I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words. When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise disrespectful and impatient of restraint"

and

"What is happening to our young people? They disrespect their elders, they disobey their parents. They ignore the law. They riot in the streets inflamed with wild notions. Their morals are decaying. What is to become of them?"

Same [BLEEP], different millennium.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

I agree with a lot of this but i would argue that another issue looming around this discussion is lumping together vast numbers of a generation of people and saying all that they same problems. It is an easy and comforting solution that people(generally who are not in the demographic they are labeling) use to explain problems that are far more complex and have much deep roots than something as simple as one or two trains of thought are frequent in a generation could ever explain. Not going into the shier fact that everyone behaves in different manors mainly because of there up bringing's( that is another topic for another time) which in my opinion has little to do with the time period they were born into.

I would think that a lot of problems exist because of the public institutional structures, such as public schooling, that have enormous impacts on our youth and is flawed in some of the profound ways. Lets start with the manor in which there places are funded. These school receive funding based off of a standardized test score that is meant to determine the quality of education that is being provided by its staff. Except that becomes the main focus of the staff. Not training these kids how to create businesses or pay proper taxes or skilled trades. They no longer go to an individual student, analyze them, and ask 'what will this student do that will help him not only succeed in life but be contributing member of our society.' no. they throw them into classes to pass the FCAT and call it a day. Then if they do make it to college and have to actually critically think and learn, they are starting well behind where a student who went to college prep school would be. There is a reason they have to lock kids in school and structure them in a similar manor as a prison.

I don't know what generation i fall into(1990) but i know i really don't care because i don't identify with whole groups in such a way. I believe that every persons behavior and perspective on life is impacted by every event that they have experience with the time and order they occurred being equal as impactful(sort of a butterfly effect scenario). i think that this makes us all different and unique. Biologically we are all very similar, it is our behavior that makes all of us unique and behavior is something generally taught not inherited.

Those are just some of my core beliefs.

Cavemen never figured out the next generation, either.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 06-13-2018, 02:19 PM by JagsorDie.)

(06-13-2018, 01:38 PM)The Drifter Wrote: Well Said, I'm a boomer and I was brought up to believe you work for what you what..... My Dad had me pulling weeds, mowing the lawn and that sort of thing. Sure I complained about it but it taught me to be self reliant.
These kids today expect everything to be handed to them and boy are they in for a shock when the real world kicks them in the [BLEEP]

I'm not a boomer but i was brought up to belive in a honest days work of a honest days living. 

I started with a pressure washer i borrowed from my dad in college and then made my own small business that now have contracts with JEA(cleaning all the substations in jax once a year), UF health and shands(dong parking garages once a year), and C&L Landscaping( cleaning all of the residential and commercial jobs) and currently has 3 trailers and 2 other employees not including myself. My father showed me how to log on my sunbiz to create my llc and become workers comp except but  the work ethic he instilled in me built a small biz that not only got me through college, but has allowed me travel and be my own boss well after i graduated. 

Are a lot of millennials lazy, Sure. But ive seen lazy [BLEEP] older people as well. I employed quite a few when i took on UF health parking garages for the first time( i had to get labor from a temp agency). I would never gauge a person off age, to me that is almost as discriminative as gauging someone based of race.

(06-13-2018, 02:09 PM)rollerjag Wrote: Cavemen never figured out the next generation, either.

those stupid kids who invented the wheel have such entitlement issues.

(06-13-2018, 02:18 PM)JagsorDie Wrote:
(06-13-2018, 01:38 PM)The Drifter Wrote: Well Said, I'm a boomer and I was brought up to believe you work for what you what..... My Dad had me pulling weeds, mowing the lawn and that sort of thing. Sure I complained about it but it taught me to be self reliant.

I'm not a boomer but i was brought up to belive in a honest days work of a honest days living. 

I started with a pressure washer i borrowed from my dad in college and then made my own small business that now have contracts with JEA(cleaning all the substations in jax once a year), UF health and shands(dong parking garages once a year), and C&L Landscaping( cleaning all of the residential and commercial jobs) and currently has 3 trailers and 2 other employees not including myself. My father showed me how to log on my sunbiz to create my llc and become workers comp except but  the work ethic he instilled in me built a small biz that not only got me through college, but has allowed me travel and be my own boss well after i graduated. 

Are a lot of millennials lazy, Sure. But ive seen lazy [BLEEP] older people as well. I employed quite a few when i took on UF health parking garages for the first time( i had to get labor from a temp agency). I would never gauge a person off age, to me that is almost as discriminative as gauging someone based of race.

(06-13-2018, 02:09 PM)rollerjag Wrote: Cavemen never figured out the next generation, either.

those stupid kids who invented the wheel have such entitlement issues.

No kidding, and they just invented fire so they could get on the weed.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 06-13-2018, 03:01 PM by JagsorDie.)

(06-13-2018, 02:35 PM)rollerjag Wrote:  

No kidding, and they just invented fire so they could get on the weed.

Exactly, I used to have walk up hill, both ways through the ice age and fight two mammoths and saber tooth cat just to get breakfast.

They don't know hard work

(This post was last modified: 06-13-2018, 03:28 PM by Cleatwood.)

Yea. What kind of parent wants to boost their child’s self esteem?! A bad parent.... that’s who.

You’re trying to lump this entire generation together as one thing when that’s not the case. Sure, there are kids who just use the IPad all the time but there’s also great kids. There are parents who refuse to give phones at restaurants.

(06-13-2018, 03:13 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Yea. What kind of parent wants to boost their child’s self esteem?! A bad parent.... that’s who.

Hahahaa 
Triggered much?
Suppose the "bridge building class" helped you out in school? (I joined... found out we weren't building bridges at all, what a let down)

Obviously you want your child's self esteem to be healthy. I just don't think the methods that were put in place in the 90s actually helped at all. If anything it made for softer personalities. People who can't handle criticism, or deal with a bully in a positive way, etc etc. 

Self esteem shouldn't need to be BOOSTED by outside sources. That's why it's SELF esteem.
If you raise a healthy minded child, you shouldn't really have to worry about them offing themselves because someone said something mean to them.
Also... if you raise a healthy minded child, they wouldn't be bullies.

It always comes back to parenting.

(06-13-2018, 02:04 PM)JagsorDie Wrote: I agree with a lot of this but i would argue that another issue looming around this discussion is lumping together vast numbers of a  generation of people and saying all that they same problems. It is an easy and comforting solution that people(generally who are not in the demographic they are labeling) use to explain problems that are far more complex and have much deep roots than something as simple as one or two trains of thought are frequent in a generation could ever explain. Not going into the shier fact that everyone behaves in different manors mainly because of there up bringing's( that is another topic for another time) which in my opinion has little to do with the time period they were born into.

I would think that a lot of problems exist because of the public institutional structures, such as public schooling, that have enormous impacts on our youth and is flawed in some of the profound ways. Lets start with the manor in which there places are funded. These school receive funding based off of a standardized test score that is meant to determine the quality of education that is being provided by its staff. Except that becomes the main focus of the staff. Not training these kids how to create businesses or pay proper taxes or skilled trades. They no longer go to an individual student, analyze them, and ask 'what will this student do that will help him not only succeed in life but be contributing member of our society.' no.  they throw them into classes to pass the FCAT and call it a day. Then if they do make it to college and have to actually critically think and learn, they are starting well behind where a student who went to college prep school would be. There is a reason they have to lock kids in school and structure them in a similar manor as a prison.

I don't know what generation i fall into(1990) but i know i really don't care because i don't identify with whole groups in such a way. I believe that every persons behavior and perspective on life is impacted by every event that they have experience with the time and order they occurred being equal as impactful(sort of a butterfly effect scenario). i think that this makes us all different and unique. Biologically we are all very similar, it is our behavior that makes all of us unique and behavior is something generally taught not inherited.

Those are just some of my core beliefs.

Indeed.... technically a millennial is someone who "came of age in the new millennium" so anyone who was a teenager or coming to adulthood through the 2000s.

It is a wide net to cast upon people and I'm willing to bet that a lot of people born within that time frame would not identify as "millennials".
Mostly because millennial is a negative term now.... synonymous with snowflake, soft, cry baby, etc.

So, lets remove the term. The generation brand.
There's still a large number of young people today that actually think they can retire at 56 and will be millionaires.
This is why we have such a large contingent of people who think they are owed something they haven't earned. They have this wild idea that isn't feasible. And unless or until they hit that goal someone should make it happen for them... otherwise they'll be unhappy....
and unhappiness leads to suicide, mass murder, and otherwise idiotic thoughts with these people.

I agree with you that a big part of it is public institutions... ESPECIALLY government funded public schools.
But the #1 onus falls on the parent(s). We as parents gotta do better than the ones before us. Cuz they were coasting or something... and it has led to poor results, imo.

At the core, Millenials are the same as other generations' youth. We all don't know what we don't know in our youth. Ambition without the necessary experience to know better. Yet, there are enough positives in youth to outweigh the negatives as far as youth goes in general. IMO, that has not changed. Exploration, rebellion, etc have always been there and are healthy in moderation.

The bigger issue is lack of masculinity in today's males. The typical male is soy. Low testosterone (this is science, not fiction.) That's turning more men soft. Men are a dying breed. Yet, no one cares to talk about this.

For men who are men (of any age - but especially for the youth,) it's never been an easier time to take advantage of this and prosper.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(06-13-2018, 03:25 PM)Kane Wrote:
(06-13-2018, 03:13 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Yea. What kind of parent wants to boost their child’s self esteem?! A bad parent.... that’s who.

Hahahaa 
Triggered much?
Suppose the "bridge building class" helped you out in school? (I joined... found out we weren't building bridges at all, what a let down)

Obviously you want your child's self esteem to be healthy. I just don't think the methods that were put in place in the 90s actually helped at all. If anything it made for softer personalities. People who can't handle criticism, or deal with a bully in a positive way, etc etc. 

Self esteem shouldn't need to be BOOSTED by outside sources. That's why it's SELF esteem.
If you raise a healthy minded child, you shouldn't really have to worry about them offing themselves because someone said something mean to them.

Lol totally triggered. Love how you jumped right to that.

I agree that raising a healthy minded child is important but... shocker... not all kids are the same. You can’t raise them the same because each kid is different. So what works for one might not work for the next. Some kids need their self esteem boosted because they don’t know how to boost themselves up. It has nothing to do with the parent but instead with the child.

I agree that participation trophies are bad and kids need to learn how to handle losing and winning. I don’t agree at all with the notion that a parent shouldn’t help a child focus on self esteem. There are good parents now and bad ones. Just like every generation before this one. Lets not lump everyone together as one thing or then all conservatives are racist... right?

You’re trying to lump this entire generation together as one thing when that’s not the case. Sure, there are kids who just use the IPad all the time but there’s also great kids. There are parents who refuse to give phones at restaurants.

Well... since you added to your original thought.... Yeah... an entire generation is being lumped together. 
But as I said in another post... you can take the label away if you want... it'll still read as 
"Today's young people"
I'm not talking about Ipads at the dinner table. I'm talking about morality, values, pride... things "kids these days" lack at every corner. On every TV screen. In every classroom.
My biggest problem isn't the kids... the "millennials" its more a post about using the terrible things we see today to raise a better future for tomorrow.

(06-13-2018, 03:34 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(06-13-2018, 03:25 PM)Kane Wrote: Hahahaa 
Triggered much?

Lol totally triggered. Love how you jumped right to that.

I agree that raising a healthy minded child is important but... shocker... not all kids are the same. You can’t raise them the same because each kid is different. So what works for one might not work for the next. Some kids need their self esteem boosted because they don’t know how to boost themselves up. It has nothing to do with the parent but instead with the child.

I agree that participation trophies are bad and kids need to learn how to handle losing and winning. I don’t agree at all with the notion that a parent shouldn’t help a child focus on self esteem. There are good parents now and bad ones. Just like every generation before this one. Lets not lump everyone together as one thing or then all conservatives are racist... right?

What does kids being the same have to do with getting a similar end result?
Raise your kids to appreciate what they have, work hard for what they don't, and love/accept equally.
It might be harder for some parents because they have a different child... but the goal shouldn't change because you have a "problem child" or "slow learner"
Parents from the 80 and 90s seemingly stop caring about their kids future, instead putting it in the hands of the government and anyone else around them that would give them something for nothing ("No child left behind" comes to mind....)

Self esteem issues tend to arise from society and social environments... kids aren't born with esteem issues. They are taught these things. Just like racism and hate. If your kid has a self esteem issue... the parent should probably figure out where they went wrong.

(06-13-2018, 03:36 PM)Kane Wrote:

Well... since you added to your original thought.... Yeah... an entire generation is being lumped together. 
But as I said in another post... you can take the label away if you want... it'll still read as 
"Today's young people"
I'm not talking about Ipads at the dinner table. I'm talking about morality, values, pride... things "kids these days" lack at every corner. On every TV screen. In every classroom.
My biggest problem isn't the kids... the "millennials" its more a post about using the terrible things we see today to raise a better future for tomorrow.
And no matter what, you will have good parents and bad ones. So whats the point? lol

I'm going to retire at 55 and be a millionaire, and I taught my children how to do the same thing. You can be whatever you want be (within your own physical and intellectual limitations) if you work for it.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Or not work that hard for it in the boomers case.

(This post was last modified: 06-13-2018, 05:26 PM by My Desired Display Name.)

A lot of generalizations and mixed ideas so I'll just speak about the article. It says many expect to retire at 56 and think they'll be millionaires at some point...it also mentions (which was left out) that the increasing majority of them are saving for retirement. Other studies say that millennials aren't having as many kids and/or are delaying when they have kids...which in itself could help the retirement and millionaire case, as I believe its estimated it takes around a quarter million to raise a kid to 18.

Not sure where ribbons and participation trophies come into place, but quite frankly I dont think either are that wild of an assumption, I mean my mom retired at 54 and dad at 59