Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Training Camp-Vets arrive

For years, our Jaguars, as much as we loved them, were a joke.  We were regularly among the worst teams in the league.  The rosters had plenty of holes, and it reflected on the field.

But with the hiring of David Caldwell, that began to change.  Perpetual holes at marquee positions of QB, CB, DE and LT were eventually filled with guys like Bortles, Ramsey, Bouye, Ngakoue, Campbell, and Robinson.  Furthermore, the team was able to add guys like Dareus, Jackson, Fournette, jack and Telvin Smith at the non marquee positions.  As a result, the Jaguars are deemed to have one of the two most talented rosters in football, and it finally reflected on the field with the team's first playoff appearance since 2007, and almost beat the Patriots in the AFC championship.  The on field success Jaguars fans so richly deserved finally arrived.

However, a consequence of this evolution of the roster is that it makes posts like these a lot more difficult.  Make no mistake, I'd much rather deal with this than what we've seen in years before.  I am NOT COMPLAINING AT ALL!  But the fact is, there aren't many starting spots really up for grabs on this team.  However, there are some things I want to watch.

1. The WR spot opposite Marqise Lee-I think because he is the most experienced WR on the roster and that he has become really good on drive extending crossing routes on 3rd down, I believe his status as a starter is pretty secure.  However, I think the battle for the spot opposite him will be an interesting one.  Donte Moncrief is big, fast and experienced, but has never put it all together for a stellar season. Keelan Cole was a pleasant surprise as a UDFA and in the preseason, and later the second half of the season, showed he can get deep and produce big plays.  But there were times he heard footsteps across the middle (SF game) and needs to be a more complete WR.  Dede Westbrook was the 2nd round talent that fell to the 4th round due to off field concerns.  Thus far, he has avoided any further off field issues.  Once he got healthy and got on the field, he had some impact, but like Cole, he needs more consistency.  Finally, DJ Chark is this year's second round pick who has deep speed and size for days, but needs experience and better route running.  UDFA rookie Allen Lazard is a longshot who is hoping to be a red zone target.
  2. SAM-You could argue that this is a position that isn't on the field much and therefore isn't that important.  Nevertheless, with Jack moving from that position to Mike, at first glance, there may be a drop in performance here.  Blair Brown, last year's 5th round pick, had some decent moments last year, but needs more experience. For me, I want to see how he holds up at the point of attack.   Leon Jacobs, the muscular 6th round pick this year from Wisconsin, is his primary competition for the spot.  Though I have heard some whispers he could be a pass rusher, I admit I know very little about him.
  3. Nickelback-Not sure there's much of a competition here, but since last year's nickel-Arron Colvin-is now in Houston, there is a slight degree of uncertainty.  Given his contract and experience, the expected starter is free agent DJ Hayden.  Hayden has a ton of speed, but I question his ability to turn and change directions, and his ability to play a physical game.  But I think Myrick and Patmon might give him a run.  To me, Myrick is a younger, cheaper version of Hayden.  Patmon gave the team some good minutes last year.
  4. If I were to pick guys who were surprises to make the team, Quentin Meeks and Tony Adams would be my guys.
  5. Conversely, surprise cuts?  That would be tough, but depending on what Richardson shows, I could see Parnell or Cann being shown the door.
    Thoughts?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Messages In This Thread
Training Camp-Vets arrive - by Bullseye - 07-25-2018, 09:22 AM
RE: Training Camp-Vets arrive - by Deacon - 07-25-2018, 09:59 AM
RE: Training Camp-Vets arrive - by Bullseye - 07-25-2018, 07:16 PM
RE: Training Camp-Vets arrive - by copycat - 07-25-2018, 10:19 AM
RE: Training Camp-Vets arrive - by Bullseye - 07-25-2018, 10:33 AM
RE: Training Camp-Vets arrive - by copycat - 07-25-2018, 11:34 AM
RE: Training Camp-Vets arrive - by Jags32250 - 07-25-2018, 12:19 PM
RE: Training Camp-Vets arrive - by ukjag34 - 07-25-2018, 12:56 PM
RE: Training Camp-Vets arrive - by JagFanatic24 - 07-25-2018, 09:30 PM
RE: Training Camp-Vets arrive - by Bullseye - 07-26-2018, 07:11 AM
RE: Training Camp-Vets arrive - by Kane - 07-26-2018, 10:39 AM