Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Training Camp-Vets arrive

(07-26-2018, 11:01 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(07-26-2018, 10:39 AM)Kane Wrote: RE:Yannick
If he's beasting, he's beasting... Don't think he'll lose snaps. Especially if he's improved vs the run.
Also... We're heavy at "big end" but essentially rush end is still Fowler and Yannick, right? I was under the impression Smoot is more big end than rush end...
Fowler will already be missing 1 game due to suspension. And if his weight doesn't bounce back (or strength or whatever) he could miss more than just the one.

I totally could see Campbell's sack number drop and Yannick's get higher. 
I also think Fowler's sack number will decrease this year (which could be good if we are trying to keep him next season: $)
With Campbell on the way out (I'm guessing) our ends could end up being Bryan, Smoot, Fowler, and Yannick, perhaps adding a cheap vet or rookie next year.

But your points are very valid as to how or why he could miss that mark.
And it makes me wonder... with more and more rotation going on with a lot of teams... will the sack record ever be broken?
I could easily see things progressing as you describe here.

Regarding Smoot, he was first drafted as a backup big end to Campbell.  but as the season wore on, he saw snaps at RDE opposite Campbell.  I see him as a swing guy.  Like Bryan is a guy who could go from LDE to DT in certain situations, I could see Smoot play either the big DE or a pass rushing RDE (and actually an interior pass rusher) in certain situations.

Generally speaking we are eye to eye on this.

Indeed. One final point on the DL... not sure if it's our scheme or the general direction of the NFL but being able to effectively play multiple positions on the DL is a big plus. Almost every guy drafted or added in FA has a primary role and a secondary role where they are equally effective.
Bryan and Smoot are big ends that can transfer to interior or the other end.
In obvious run situations I could see Bryan, Dareus, Campbell, and Smoot on the line together. (Although as I mentioned... I'm hoping Yannick improves enough vs the run that it makes it hard to pull him off the line outside of him needing the breather)
LBers and DBs that can play multiple positions in the back 7 seem to be valued a lot more too as opposed to "in the box" or "zone" only guys.

(07-26-2018, 11:19 AM)Bullseye Wrote: One battle I did not mention, but quite possibly the most important one, is at WR.

If the Jaguars keep five, it would seem the 5 are

Lee
Chark
Westbrook
Cole
Moncrief

However, if the Jaguars keep 6, the question is who do they keep?

To me it seems the top three candidates are

Jaydon Mickens
Rashad Greene
Allen Lazard

in that order.

To me, Mickens has recently demonstrated explosive return ability as well as the ability to contribute some in the passing game.

Greene exhibited those same traits as a rookie, but has since had a down year ending in an achilles injury, spending last year on IR. While he has more size than Mickens, I have my doubts about his ability post achilles injury. I'd be far more confident in his ability to return to form if he had an ACL tear.

Lazard seems to be the longshot as a rookie UDFA. He is the biggest of these three receivers, and based upon his build, he would seem to offer a red zone threat. However, he does not appear to offer any return ability, so if he were going to make this team, he'd either have to prove to be an exceptional WR, or he'd have to contribute on special teams some other way, barring something way bad or unusual happening.

Now if the Jaguars go with five WRs, Westbrook, Lee and Chark also have demonstrated return ability, though I wouldn't want to see Chark returning punts.

I think there's too much talent AND not enough of a clear pecking order that we will almost certainly keep 6 WRs.
As for who has the edge... one would think Greene has it based on draft position, potential, and reading the tea leaves from Johnny O. However, Mickens came in last season when needed and did a fine job. Both as a returner and wide out.
Lazard has all the makings for a big possession type receiver and RZ threat. And with a lot of keyboard pundits trying to give him double duties as a possible TE target.
To me... it screams developmental PS guy.
IMO, it comes down to Greene and Mickens and honestly I hope it's Greene. Draft equity tied up in him. Mickens still has PS eligibility, iirc (though he might get stolen, as might Lazard).

All in all... when your biggest issues going into camp are who's our #6 receiver and who is our SAM backer (who plays, 35-40% snaps) we as fans gotta feel pretty good.

Messages In This Thread
Training Camp-Vets arrive - by Bullseye - 07-25-2018, 09:22 AM
RE: Training Camp-Vets arrive - by Deacon - 07-25-2018, 09:59 AM
RE: Training Camp-Vets arrive - by Bullseye - 07-25-2018, 07:16 PM
RE: Training Camp-Vets arrive - by copycat - 07-25-2018, 10:19 AM
RE: Training Camp-Vets arrive - by Bullseye - 07-25-2018, 10:33 AM
RE: Training Camp-Vets arrive - by copycat - 07-25-2018, 11:34 AM
RE: Training Camp-Vets arrive - by Jags32250 - 07-25-2018, 12:19 PM
RE: Training Camp-Vets arrive - by ukjag34 - 07-25-2018, 12:56 PM
RE: Training Camp-Vets arrive - by JagFanatic24 - 07-25-2018, 09:30 PM
RE: Training Camp-Vets arrive - by Bullseye - 07-26-2018, 07:11 AM
RE: Training Camp-Vets arrive - by Kane - 07-26-2018, 10:39 AM